PDA

View Full Version : O3 White Defective?

TERRYTOPSPIN
10-26-2006, 06:36 AM
Anyone have a problem with the frame chipping off paint and some cracking on an O3 white? (inside the frame around the O ports in the mains? I had my brand new O3 white strung at a tennis club and got the racket back with the paint chipped and cracked. The stinger says it is a defect. Anyone else have this problem?

rod_b
10-26-2006, 07:12 AM
I have noticed that the paint chips somewhat easily on the O3s. If he admitted it was a defect and you bought it from them...they should replace it for you. If that's what you want of course.

Chicken Neck
10-26-2006, 07:23 AM
That is totally unacceptable!!!! You should not have left the shop without either a new frame or a check for same. Since I have not seen your racquet I can't say for sure but it is very possible that the paint chipped and cracked because the frame was improperly mounted resulting in excessive frame distortion while tensioning the strings. You should also check the frame closely and make sure that the chips and cracks in the paint are indeed purely cosmetic. I have strung a few O3 White frames and have not experienced this "defect".

jonolau
10-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Agree with Chicken Neck. Can you take pics of these chips/cracks and post them up?

muggy
10-26-2006, 11:57 AM
I have an o3 white that chipped at the "triple threat" parts of the racquet at 10 and 2.

The chips have no apparent cause, I rarely ever hit the ground with the racquet, there are very few scratches elsewhere on the racquet.

tennisdarren
10-26-2006, 06:31 PM
What kind of stringer does your club use? If they use a Prince P-200, the mounting fingers at the head of the racquet line up awkwardly with the O-ports and cause damage if the stringer does not use some kind of padding to protect the frame from the hard nylon. Yes, the club should replace your frame and learn from it's mistake, IMO.

snoflewis
10-26-2006, 07:16 PM
the 03 rackets have really bad paint...it chips, cracks, and scratches really easily...my friend scratched his 03 tour MP and it left a HUGE scratch....very deep. it was silver..which kinda surprised me.

TERRYTOPSPIN
10-27-2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far. I will post pictures to be sure but I think they messed up and don’t want to pay for it. When I complained they (meaning not only the stringer but some of the instructors) were acting like it was nothing........ rapping on the frame saying the frame is not "CRACKED" the paint chipped and it is "normal", my string combination was to blame or I have a defective racket. ("gamma infinity 18 natural @63lbs" using the gut in the crossed instead of the mains as recommended on package... Went to Dicks sporting goods with it (They usually string my sticks to my request with no problem) and they said stringer error... also put a tension gauge on it and it was 54lbs not 63 as requested. I just cannot stand it when people damage things, point fingers and make up excuses for their actions. I may be wrong but I want to be sure of what I am saying before I go back to them and read them the riot act. Any more input from stringers or O3 owners?

sharapovalover
10-27-2006, 12:23 PM
try this... GET A NEW STRINGER

fishuuuuu
10-27-2006, 12:46 PM
I played with o3 racquets for an extensively long time, and the stringer is at little if any fault. The paint scratches, scuffs, and chips extraordinarily easy, irregardless of what happens.

WhiteSox05CA
10-27-2006, 12:58 PM
What's this have to do with strings?
________
Petite live (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/petite-girls/)

TERRYTOPSPIN
10-27-2006, 01:17 PM
What's this have to do with strings?

This area is not just about strings but also about "STRINGING" as well if I am not mistaken, the issue in question is "Stringer error?", "String combination that I used in error?" VS racket defect. The issue at hand happend during a stringing. :rolleyes:

looseswing
10-27-2006, 01:32 PM
I agree with those that said you should post up pics and let us have a look.

LttlElvis
10-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far. I will post pictures to be sure but I think they messed up and don’t want to pay for it. When I complained they (meaning not only the stringer but some of the instructors) were acting like it was nothing........ rapping on the frame saying the frame is not "CRACKED" the paint chipped and it is "normal", my string combination was to blame or I have a defective racket. ("gamma infinity 18 natural @63lbs" using the gut in the crossed instead of the mains as recommended on package... Went to Dicks sporting goods with it (They usually string my sticks to my request with no problem) and they said stringer error... also put a tension gauge on it and it was 54lbs not 63 as requested. I just cannot stand it when people damage things, point fingers and make up excuses for their actions. I may be wrong but I want to be sure of what I am saying before I go back to them and read them the riot act. Any more input from stringers or O3 owners?

I use O3 racquets. I can't say I have noticed the paint chipping on a brand new racquet. On subsequent stringings, I have had small chips of paint come off. I do string my own racquets. Personally, I don't worry about small paint chips, but for you on a brand new racquet, it is understandable.

As far as the drop in tension. I wouldn't really worry too much. Tension gauges only measure relative tension and are not that accurate to true tension. In other words, they are good for checking how much tension you have lost relative to your initial readings.

You will be surprised in the amount of tension lost 1 hour after stringing. Even more once you play with the strings. Even more loss on gut strings.

Chicken Neck
10-27-2006, 02:22 PM
I used the Prince O3 Red for a season and I strung the racquets perhaps 30-35 times, I had three of them, and I never had this paint problem. Now, I'm not saying it does not occur but if I give a new frame to a stringer and it comes back to me with chipped and cracked paint, I don't care if the racquet is made of glass, that is simply not acceptable. If the requisite care is taken it is the rare frame indeed that cannot be strung without causing damage, cosmetic or otherwise.

Steve Huff
10-27-2006, 03:24 PM
First, the tension issue. Most strings drop around 9-10% over 24 hours without ever being used. An 18g string would normally drop a little more. On a brand new racket where the grommets have to seat, I'd say that's not an abnormal amount. Most people (not pro's) normally don't play within 24 hrs after the racket is strung, except possibly when they string it themselves. People just don't normally pick the racket up the day it is completed, whether they can't come by the shop that day or if the shop has a contract stringer that picks up and delivers only a couple of days a week. So, most people are used to the drop in tension. You've got to remember, the tension you string it at is a reference number only.

The scratches would be a greater concern to me. Old Ektelons can put pretty big scratches in the racket when their mounting clamps are fully adjusted to the point the adjusting screw sticks up past the rubber cushion (you unscrew it to make the mounting clamp tighter). They need new dogs inserted into the mounting arms. I think this is most common in the throat area. It would show up as a scratch on the side of the throat that was laying down on the pads.

Also, the stringer might not insert the correct load spreader on these machines. This can allow the post of the mounting clamp to rub up against the inside of the frame. This would show up as a worn area or scratch on the inside of the hoop at 6 o'clock, between the center 2 holes.

Does either of these sound like what happened to yours? If so, go look at the machine that did the damage. My previous machine did this once to a lady's Yonex. I replaced her racket without her even asking. Even though the damage was only cosmetic, she had a NEW racket when she brought it to me, she should have a NEW, STRUNG racket when I returned it. If the store doesn't offer any compensation, I'd demand it. I'm not saying they'll give you a new racket, but they should come up with some compensation that you both can live with, if it was in fact their machine that caused it.

Steve Huff
10-28-2006, 10:29 PM
TT--have you determined if it was the paint or an actual crack in the frame?

Rafa's best friend
10-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Only defect on this racket is the fact that they do not make it in EXTRA long, please every one tell prince to make this EXTRA long........................................

thetenniskid07
10-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Send it to prince to get a new one.

Steve Huff
10-29-2006, 08:41 PM
I'd tell Prince to keep it standard length. It's getting harder and harder to find a standard length, oversize racket. There are plenty of oversized, extra-length rackets out there.

TERRYTOPSPIN
11-07-2006, 12:09 PM
TT--have you determined if it was the paint or an actual crack in the frame?

It seems to be mostly paint. Don't have a digital camera or I'd post pics. I am sending it back to Prince

tennissavy
11-08-2006, 06:50 PM
That is totally unacceptable!!!! You should not have left the shop without either a new frame or a check for same. Since I have not seen your racquet I can't say for sure but it is very possible that the paint chipped and cracked because the frame was improperly mounted resulting in excessive frame distortion while tensioning the strings. You should also check the frame closely and make sure that the chips and cracks in the paint are indeed purely cosmetic. I have strung a few O3 White frames and have not experienced this "defect".

Since when is "tensioning" a real word?

nalbandian_fan
11-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Since when is "tensioning" a real word?

ten‧sion  /ˈtɛnʃən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ten-shuhn]

ľverb (used with object)
10. to subject (a cable, belt, tendon, or the like) to tension, esp. for a specific purpose.

tr.v. tenĚsioned, tenĚsionĚing, tenĚsions

To subject to tension; tighten.

tennissavy
11-08-2006, 06:57 PM
ten‧sion  /ˈtɛnʃən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ten-shuhn]

ľverb (used with object)
10. to subject (a cable, belt, tendon, or the like) to tension, esp. for a specific purpose.

tr.v. tenĚsioned, tenĚsionĚing, tenĚsions

To subject to tension; tighten.

Okay, thanks Nalbandian fan.

Steve Huff
11-08-2006, 10:34 PM
Prince is very customer orientedd. However, if it looks like a stringer error, the might send it back, and you will have wasted shipping costs and a lot of time without the racket.