PDA

View Full Version : About to string my first racquet...wich one?

amx13
10-26-2006, 08:42 AM
I just got my klippermate and now Im about to string my first racquet..the question is, wich one?. I just got a new Volkl DNX 10 wich came unstrung, but I dont know if I could mess it up since it wuold be my first stringing job, Im not sure if I can damage the new racquet in some way (paintjob, grommet, etc).
I have some old Prince and Wilson frames, but none of them need stringing at this time... what do you think, it would be better to cut the strings off one of the old frames and give the klippermate a try with it? or should I go ahead and try it with the Volkl?

jonolau
10-26-2006, 08:53 AM
I'd be more inclined to use your least favourite frame to try out the first job.

At the same time, before you cut out the strings, take time to track out the directions and pattern of the current string job, this will help you understand which holes to skip, which ones to use for tie offs etc. Do also check the web for the stringing pattern for that particular racquet, and from there you can use your old strung racquet as a reference to learn how to count which holes to skip. I would also use the cheapest strings for practice.

However, if you already know how to read the stringing patterns and have observed an exprienced stringer before, or even received prior training, then this confidence should be sufficient to apply to the new Volkl.

Your call now.

CoconutGT
10-26-2006, 09:47 AM
I would recommend stringing your non-playing racquet(s) first. Get as much practice as you can before moving to your playing racquet. I have 4 unused racquets to practice on before I finally start on my playing racquet. I tried single piece stringing first and then hybrids the other three before I strung my playing racquet. Good luck m8

eunjam
10-26-2006, 10:28 AM
absolutely string a non fav racquet first.

it won't take long to get the confidence to do the good racquet.

congrats and good luck!

HBK
10-26-2006, 10:35 AM
"F" that. Just go for it. String the DNX 10. The string job may not be perfect, but the frame won't break as long as you go top to bottom on the X's.

jonolau
10-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Sorry, but there is a clear distinction between being responsible and foolhardy.

amx13
10-27-2006, 05:39 AM
Thanks a lot for the comments guys, I just found an old Spalding racquet with really old strings, so that would be my first. I´ve never even watch anyone string a racquet, so I guess its better not to take any chances...besides, the paintjob in the DNX 10 its so great!, I dont want to ruin it.

gfdoto
10-27-2006, 08:35 AM
I was in the same situation with my brand new RDS 001 and I decided to string one older racquet first. The new RDS 001 was the 2nd racquet I strung and that turned out really well.

If you have not watched any stringing videos, be sure to check out the ones on sptennis.com. They were quite helpful for me.

amx13
10-28-2006, 07:20 AM
Thanks a lot guys!, I just string the old Spalding and it went great!. It took me around 2 hours to get the job done...It was less complicated than I though it would be. I know it may sound silly, but I felt so great when I saw the finished product, kind of the same feeling after winning an important match. Thanks a lot for the help!

jonolau
10-28-2006, 07:39 AM
Thanks a lot guys!, I just string the old Spalding and it went great!. It took me around 2 hours to get the job done...It was less complicated than I though it would be. I know it may sound silly, but I felt so great when I saw the finished product, kind of the same feeling after winning an important match. Thanks a lot for the help!
Way to go, amx13! Congratulations on the first job and I'm sure there'll be many more successes to come!

Jon

amx13
10-28-2006, 07:46 AM
Thanks jonolau!... since the pattern its the same than the Spalding, I think I will go ahead and string the Volkl today...I used to hate breaking strings, but now I wish I break them more often, haha!

jonolau
10-28-2006, 07:53 AM
Thanks jonolau!... since the pattern its the same than the Spalding, I think I will go ahead and string the Volkl today...I used to hate breaking strings, but now I wish I break them more often, haha!
Whoa, be careful with that statement ... you wouldn't want it to break whilst stringing, neither would you want it to break on the first hit after stringing!

Ha ha, but I understand what you were getting at.

Always be careful not to kink or bend your strings. It's better to string carefully than to rush through a job, compromise the structural integrity, and end up having to re-string it in no time. Go for quality rather than speed.

Good luck and enjoy!

Jon

tennis-skater
10-28-2006, 07:56 AM
also "never been strung" rackets are harder to string because the tie off holes are smaller so before stringing id make sure the holes are big enough if not make them bigger with your awl because onetime i finised the whole racket and then relized the holes were too small and i ended up popping the mains trying to get to the tie off