PDA

View Full Version : LaserFibre Drop-Weight Stringing Machines -- Any Actual Owners/Users Here?

varuscelli
10-26-2006, 09:47 AM
Just wondering if anyone on the list is an actual owner (or regular user) of a LaserFibre drop-weight stringing machine.

Sorry, I can't remember from previous posts or from searches I've done whether we have, for instance, MS200TT owners giving any feedback on these machines.

Most of what I hear is about people waiting to become owners once they get the machines they ordered. ;)

Any users care to give their impressions of working with LaserFibre drop-weights and how they compare to other machines they might have used?

Did you ever regret your purchase and wish you had looked at something else? Or are you one happy camper with the LaserFibre?

And if you care to share the configuration you use (which clamps, etc.), that might be a nice addition to any feedback on the topic.

moist
10-26-2006, 09:57 AM
I own one, and I think it's a great machine. The any-angle tensioner is a huge convenience to me. Mount seems solid, never had any slipping in the clamps, and it's pretty portable. No complaints really.

However, it did take about 5 months to actually receive it.

varuscelli
10-26-2006, 10:21 AM
I own one, and I think it's a great machine. The any-angle tensioner is a huge convenience to me. Mount seems solid, never had any slipping in the clamps, and it's pretty portable. No complaints really.

However, it did take about 5 months to actually receive it.

Thanks, moist.

After you answered, I added the last part of my original post (on configurations). Want to share which configuration you're using? Eco or Premium, clamps chosen?

Five-month wait...yikes! But from some of the posts I've read, that's not too hard to believe (still a long wait, though).

eagle
10-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Love it!

r,
eagle

diredesire
10-26-2006, 10:41 AM
I'll tag this thread so i'm subscribed. I'm about to head out, but i'll see if i can't give you a good description of the machine later

varuscelli
10-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Love it!

r,
eagle

Thanks, eagle -- I found your posted review here.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=32505

Had somehow missed that before, but with its title I don't know how... :confused:

varuscelli
10-26-2006, 01:04 PM
I'll tag this thread so i'm subscribed. I'm about to head out, but i'll see if i can't give you a good description of the machine later

Great -- thanks, diredesire. Looking forward to it. :)

whomprat
10-26-2006, 02:25 PM
I have a tt-eco, but I upgraded to the manual arm lock/release mechanism. I have the dual action clamps. I upgraded from a klipper and I don't have any regrets. It's WAY faster than a regular drop weight, and if you have the sensory tension jaw, it's even faster. It's well worth the money. I also like the constant pull. My only complaint was the clamps loosening themselves, but I took care of that with a little adjustment after talking to Laserfibre about it, and they work fine now. I've never heard of anyone else having that issue though.

whomprat

Back210s
10-27-2006, 09:53 AM
I have an ECO TT with the sensory jaw mechanism and flying clamps and like it very much. It's a very solid
machine and well built with a heavy duty feel. The flying clamps are heavy duty cast metal as well and work well.
I had never personally strung a racket on any other machine but as a beginner I can say I am very pleased
with the ease this machine operates and the success of the job.
I have since strung about 10+ rackets (since late July) of various types and have had no issues with
the operation and/or mounting method. I am under an hour per racket but typically not in any rush when stringing.
I am glad I do have the sensory jaw mechanism. It's a minor addition but it keeps the drop weight arm in the upright
position which keeps it only a minor move from there to load/lock the string.

diredesire
10-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Here are my thoughts on the machine:

I own (as you can see in my sig) the Laserfibre MS200-TT. This is the model with the sensory tension jaw, double action clamps, etc.

Mounting system: I personally prefer the inside mounting system(s) over outside mounts, although nowadays, I don't think the preference would sway me from one or the other machine. The mounting system is very solid, built well, and I have experienced no flexing whatsoever. The middle plastic piece that adjusts to mate with the tip of the racquet is machined a little weird, the part that actually touches the frame is at a bit of a "J" shape, so it doens't mate perfectly with the racquet at all times (you can get around this by adjusting it first, but oh well, just a side comment). The locks underneath the table tighten up well, and i've never experienced any movement. The hold downs are good, although I feel the bottom hold downs are a little clumsy. I put them inside the throat, instead of laying over the frame.

Tensioning system: It is GREAT. It is very consistent, pulls smooth and steady. The one gripe i have is that you have to manually pump the weight. This isn't a big deal for one or two racquets, but if you've got say... 6-8 it's a much bigger consideration to make. My shoulder is also a little "tweaked," and it clicks when i move it up and down like this, so I have to pump the weight left handed/armed, which makes an even bigger impact on the weight fatigue for me.

The tensioning system could also be manufactured where the weight measurements are on the bar (etched or otherwise). As it is (not sure if this has changed), you are given a ruler to "measure" your tension. You can etch or mark the bar yourself, but i find that it eventually just wears off anyways.

With that said, I do love the sensory jaws, it is a cool system, and besides being a novel addition to the machine, it's functionality is excellent, as well.

Turn table: It looks a little bit weeny with the clamp bars taken off, but it is heavy, and solid. No flexing here. I just wish it had 360 degree rotation. I string on a NEOS for work, so I guess the adjustment isn't too bad.

Clamping system: Read any thread about the laserfibre machines, and you'll notice there is complaints about drawback on the clamps. The way the bases are designed (flip up lock clamps) it is a little difficult to make the base easily adjustable for drawback (pushing the base towards the string you're clamping off to minimize drawback), but it is possible. The drawback is pulled back through in the next pull, but the problem still exists on the last cross. IMO, the consistency of the job is not compromised by the drawback, but some people may be bothered by this.

Clamp teeth are spaced well, not too wide or too narrow. The clamps themselves I think are die cast or something similar to this. I think if they were cast and then machined, the drawback would most likely be eliminated. The "hole" at the bottom that is meant to fit onto the bar (it's hard to describe) is a little sloppy, IMO. The teeth/clamping surface is ever-so-slightly textured (not diamond dusted, but a little textured). They dont' require excessive force to be useful, and are pretty darn gentle on softer strings. I wish the clamps were thumb-adjustable, but I can live without that feature.

Clamps slide smoothly on their bars, and the locking action of the DAs is excellent. No questions of "did I tighten it enough?" etc. You just flip the lever up and the clamp is locked.

Brake: The MS200TT lacks a brake, which bothers me. I read once that the newer models do offer a brake, but I have never had that feature, which is a problem if you prefer to tie off using a locked turn table, and for Prince O3/Wilson Roller racquets.

Finally, a side comment: For Babolat Aero racquets, and Fischer FTs (some of them), you will need an adapter, so if you plan on stringing those ever, please ask Tim or your CSR to include that in the package when it ships.

Overall, I rate this machine very high, although I think that other machines DO do certain things better. Lack of a brake, 360 degree rotation, and the need to pump an arm are the turn offs I see on this machine. The other grips are minor and don't REALLY make much of a difference to me.

Things this machine do well: Rock solid mounting system, convenient and straight forward mounting system (you never have to thread around mounts, although there are posts). Tensioner is extremely consistent and "strong." You never have to worry about excessive friction lowering the cross tension much. Clamps are excellent, and you have positive feedback whether or not you clamped off nicely or not.

Hopefully this helps.

varuscelli
10-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Great post, diredesire. Really good stuff, and thanks a bunch for taking the time to put your thoughts into the thread. I've read a bunch of your contributions to other posts on stringing machines while I've been searching through older material. I really appreciate how much you put into your contributions. Thanks again... :)

diredesire
10-28-2006, 12:07 AM
Great post, diredesire. Really good stuff, and thanks a bunch for taking the time to put your thoughts into the thread. I've read a bunch of your contributions to other posts on stringing machines while I've been searching through older material. I really appreciate how much you put into your contributions. Thanks again... :)

not a problem. Good luck on your decision/search :)

tennisphotog
10-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Love my laserfibre eco, easy to use, great price. Be patient, Tim is a great guy to deal with, but you do have to pin him down exactly when you will get your order. If you don't like the sound of this, look elsewhere. I am glad I waited for this machine.

LMW
10-31-2006, 02:16 PM
I also love my ECO! Have been using it for more than three years. I understand that there are some distribution issues, along with long waits for the product, but it is worth it if you have some flexibility. There is not another machine that I would prefer to use.