PDA

View Full Version : ankle braces

adjust-
08-09-2004, 04:54 AM
I'm searching for an ankle brace so i could wear while playing tennis and I would like some recommendations. Thanks

dewdman42
08-09-2004, 01:54 PM
I am looking for the same advice...both for a great ankle support as well as shoe suggestions which might be used instead of or in addition to a brace. I roll my ankles all the time due to leg alignment issues...and Tennis is just that way. I'd like to prevent this... Anyone have suggestions about brace or shoes?

Phil
08-09-2004, 06:00 PM
Do a search on THIS board, or Google for "Kallassy"

dewdman42
08-09-2004, 06:03 PM
Yea, found out about that and the other one Roddick is using. What about shoes? Any suggestions or does it become a mute point with the brace?

Phil
08-09-2004, 08:28 PM
It really depends on how weak or painful your ankles are when you're playing. You may want to wear both the Kallassy (or another make brace) AND mid-cut shoes, for added support-this worked for me-I had little pain or soreness, following ligament damage. If you decide to double up with the brace and mid-cut shoes, I can't say what shoe is best for your foot-Prince makes excellent mid-cut shoes-the NFS Viper is perfect for me, but it has a wide toe box, so if you have a narrow foot, you may want to look at another brand-Wilson also make good tennis shoes. I'm no shoe expert though-the guys on the shoe board may be able to give you more specifics.

dewdman42
08-10-2004, 10:39 AM
In my case, my ankles don't hurt while I play or anything. I just have a tendency to roll them easily because of a leg alignment issue. I tried on the Vipers last night. Felt wierd. I think I will get an ASO brace first, try that with my existing shoes and see how it goes. thanks all..

Cypo
08-10-2004, 01:30 PM
The Bledsoe Ultimate

dewdman42
08-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Thanks. What makes that one better than say the ASO or the Killepsy one?

Cypo
08-10-2004, 10:25 PM
The Bledsoe Ultimate is made of a light weight metal which bends around under the foot, and is anchored in the shoe. I think that is what gives it the extra stability. With the plastic braces braces ( I've used the Air Cast, which in addition doesn't last well - the air bags deflate and the cloth under the foot wears through), your foot can turn inside the brace when playing - especially when serving. The cloth braces really don't provide a lot of stability (I've tried the McDavies (Mc Something anyway) which has plastic inserts and the figure eight wrapping. Take a look at the web site though, I can only speak from experience, I don't know the theory at all.

Cypo
08-11-2004, 01:21 AM
And - I have one really messed-up ankle. I could not play without a brace. The left foot is partially paralyzed and can't bend forward, so the foot turns in and all the bending occurs over the ankle to the outside of the foot. I don't know if that explains it clearly, but it's a more challenging ankle for a brace than most.

Simbah2004
08-18-2004, 02:35 AM
I had an ankle problem a few months ago and bought the Swede-o ankle bracer (recommended by my physiotherapist). It really helped as I was healing. Ankle braces "simulate" the healthy ligaments on your feet and prevent you from rolling on it. However, it is my experience that once your ankle gets better it's tough to keep using them, your own body kinda of "rejects" it.

Dsangrene
05-27-2005, 09:39 PM
Wear Thorlo socks.

Wilson Pro Staff is a good tennis shoe.

Buy good shoe inserts for your tennis shoes.

Wear the ASO ankle brace to help prevent ankle sprains (Andy Roddick wears them). www.asoanklebrace.com