PDA

View Full Version : Swingweight: is it possible to...

sandro
08-09-2004, 07:31 AM
... compare the sw of two frames w/out any machine? I don't need to measure it, just to know which frame has the higher/lower sw.
Thanks

rich s
08-09-2004, 07:54 AM
swing each frame. the one that feels easier to swing has the lower swing weight.

sandro
08-10-2004, 12:22 AM
rich, thanks but I'm considering two racquets that have, probably, a close sw. All the other factors are pretty different (balance, weight), so it's not so simple to compare just swinging.

Xanataos
08-10-2004, 12:45 AM
What brand is it? First thing to do is know the weight....

If it is wilson, i know there is a sticker to its throat referring to its weight, such as L4/L3/SL4..... If they are the same, they should have the same weight.

To see the balance point, you need to use a round stick and put your racquet on top of it. Place it into a position where the racquet hanging freely on top of the stick, thats where the BP is.

If they have the same weight and BP, the SW should be the same.

The only hard part is to measure the weight, because it is too light to have any effect on a weighting scale.

sandro
08-10-2004, 07:08 AM
Sorry Xanataos, but having the same weight and balance doesn't mean AT ALL to have the same swingweight. This would be true only if the mass distribution was constant, and it's not.
Just an example: consider to add to the same racquet 10 grams of lead on the balance point, or 5 grams on top and 5 grams on the butt: you will have the same weight and balance, but very different swingweight.

Gaines Hillix
08-10-2004, 10:28 AM
You can come close to comparing the swingweight by measuring the "tip weight." Place the butt edge of the racquet on something like a block of wood or a book and then weigh the tip of the racquet with a digital scale. What the butt of the racquet is sitting on needs to be at the same height as the scale bed.

sandro
08-12-2004, 12:36 AM
Gaines, thanks but I think with your method you just have a measure of balance point.
Thanks anyway, I'll be looking for a measuring machines here around...

Steve H.
08-12-2004, 03:37 AM
Somebody on the old board posted a low-tech method of comparing swingweights. You mount pins or dowels of some sort crosswise onto the handle at the axis of rotation (7cm or 10cm from the butt, whatever distance you want to use) and dangle the frame from those pins between two chair backs. Let the racquet swing back and forth like a pendulum, and time how long it takes to complete 20 swings. Whichever frame takes the longest has the highest swingweight.

Gaines Hillix
08-12-2004, 05:03 AM
sandro, tip weight has nothing to do with the balance point. The method Steve H. mentioned is on the USRSA website.

sandro
08-12-2004, 06:20 AM
ok, I'll try. Thanks again!