PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a stringer

EricW
10-27-2006, 05:56 PM
I'm a serious tennis player whose strings break every 2-3 weeks, so it's obvious I need a stringing machine. What machines would you recommend, where can I buy em? How long would each take to string, what time of system is the least of a hassle? (i've read various posting saying something like "I can't tolerate the drop weight system" i dont even know what that is, haha) Also are they all accurate or would I need to get a machine thats more expensive to be sure the tension is right, etc?

Thanks

jj300
10-27-2006, 08:11 PM
frankly,
before asking this question you should do some research. knowing the difference between drop weight or what it looks like is a first step. how are you suppose to make a good decision if you rely soley on other people's opinion? do research, ask for clarification later.

EricW
10-28-2006, 10:41 AM
frankly,
before asking this question you should do some research. knowing the difference between drop weight or what it looks like is a first step. how are you suppose to make a good decision if you rely soley on other people's opinion? do research, ask for clarification later.

That was the point of my post, to gather information to make a good decision. I value the opinion of people on these forums. I'd really like some good responses instead of trolling... seriously, you could have just told me what it was

A tennis store in my area sells: Gamma X-6 Stringing Machine , Gamma X-6FC Stringing Machine , Gamma X-2 Stringing Machine , Gamma X-ST Stringing Machine

If anyone has any opinions about these stringers it would be appreciated, thanks

theace21
10-28-2006, 12:13 PM
What is your budget? Do you want a table top or stand alone machine?

Under $200 - Simple Drop Weight with Floating clamps - SP Swing, Klippermate, plus many others

Under $500 - Better Drop Weight with Fixed clamps - Gamma Progression II 602FC or Gamma X-6FC

Under $600 - Table Top Crank - Alpha Revo

Under $1200 - Stand up crank - Gamma 6004, Prince Neos, SP Masetro

Under $3000 - Electric - The Silent Partner OPUS $2,799

If you need to ask what floating clamps/fixed clamps, drop weights are you need to use the search feature. People will help - but you have to have some idea of what direction you want to go...

EricW
10-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Are cranks better? Do they string faster or what?

LttlElvis
10-28-2006, 08:44 PM
You can learn alot about stringing machines from the Silent Partner website:

http://www.sptennis.com/stringer.asp

and the eagnas website:

http://www.eagnas.com/

Go to the frequently asked questions sections.

Prices will vary depending on:

1.) Tensioning system: Drop weight, crank, electronic
2.) Mounting system quality: 2 point, 6 point
3.) Clamping system: floating, glide bars, fixed swivel
4.) Table top or stand

Research the above websites and your questions can be answered better.

Cranks are not necessarily "better". Just depends on what you want. Cranks are easier and faster than dropweights and are consistent with practice. Dropweights are less expensive, accurate, but require a little more effort.

theace21
10-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Are cranks better? Do they string faster or what?
How much do you want to spend?

EricW
10-29-2006, 07:10 AM
I can afford up to $600

andrew_b
10-29-2006, 07:27 AM
I can afford up to $600

You should read the classifieds here:

GAMMA X-ES FOR SALE (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=126249)

I do not know the seller or know anything about the item condition or why it's being offered for sale, but that's a nice price on a very solid electronic machine. Definite step up from a crank or drop weight, and very close to your stated price range.

play well,
andrew

LttlElvis
10-29-2006, 09:03 AM
I can afford up to $600

Alpha Revo 4000 is a good solid machine in your price range. Manual crank, good mounting, good clamps, well made. No one seems to have buyers remorse for this one.

http://www.nothingbuttennis.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?action=link&product=183&uid=360

EricW
10-29-2006, 01:54 PM
Would I get a better strung racquet from a pro shop then if I strung myself or is stringing skill just based on speed? Will my first stringed racquet be the same quality as from a pro shop?

LttlElvis
10-29-2006, 02:01 PM
I think eventually you will get a better quality job by yourself with practice. You will become pretty picky, and if you are like everyone else who strings, you won't trust anyone but yourself to string your racquets.

A side benefit is you will be stringing other people's racquets and making a little money on the side. Also, you have the freedom to experiment with strings, and your game will improve. Your machine will be paid off in no time.

theace21
10-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Would I get a better strung racquet from a pro shop then if I strung myself or is stringing skill just based on speed? Will my first stringed racquet be the same quality as from a pro shop?
Like was mentioned earlier - You can't beat the Alpha Revo. Check it out at
newtechtennis . com...(hope that is correct)!

How many of those stringing rackets will but the effort you would into your own rackets? How many will log the strings used, tension?

You will become a decent string very quickly. Will your first racket be as consistent as someone stringing for over 10 years - of course not. It will take time to learn - of course...Is it difficult - heck no. Your first racket might take you two hours, you will quickly get under and hour.

I enjoy trying new strings. Having my rackets always ready to go, never having to pay someone else for labor that I can do. Making a few bucks on the side, to buy more tennis gear...

Get the Revo, do a search...It is very popular, and Alpha's customer service is top rate - Good Luck