PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Sellers: Are They All in Texas?

varuscelli
10-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Anyone know off hand whether there are any sellers of Alpha stringing machines who are not located in Texas?

Alpha has made my very short list of stringing machines to consider (with the Revo 4000 topping my list), but with me being located in Texas I'm also going to be hit with sales tax if I buy the machine from any seller in Texas. So, if I have to pay tax and pay shipping, that will likely add at least another $100 to the cost of the stringer, and I'd like to try and avoid any extra costs that I can.

For instance, the places I've found that actually advertise that they sell the Alpha machines:

Alpha Racquet Sports (Austin, TX)
New Tech Tennis (Alpha's in-house distribution, Austin, TX)
Mansion Select (Austin, TX)
Nothing But Tennis (Cedar Park, TX)
Tennis Express (Houston, TX)

I could always go with Tennis Express in Houston and pick it up myself, but I bet the charges to ship from Austin would still be charged to me since I know Tennis Express doesn't stock them (even if they do sell them). Or, I could spend a day driving and a tank and a half of gas and go to Austin and drive by Alpha myself... ;)

Most likely, if I go with the Revo 4000, I'm going to buy it straight from Alpha. But I do want to look at all the options that might be available.

So, out of curiosity, anyone know of any sellers outside of Texas making Alpha machines available?

Mike Cottrill
10-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Jim Henry Tennis Machines
http://www.tennismachines.com/ (http://www.tennismachines.com/)

However, e-mail Mark Gonzalez at mark@alphatennis.com (mark@alphatennis.com). He may have better options for you.
Mike

jj300
10-27-2006, 07:38 PM
this is simple to do,
get a friend or family member with a cc that has a non tx address. order the machine and pick it up from mark if he will let you. problem solved, no tax. no shipping

varuscelli
10-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Jim Henry Tennis Machines
http://www.tennismachines.com/ (http://www.tennismachines.com/)

However, e-mail Mark Gonzalez at mark@alphatennis.com (mark@alphatennis.com). He may have better options for you.
Mike

Yeah, I'm planning on e-mailing Mark about options they might be able to offer, too. Just wanted to ask here first. He's sent me a handful of e-mails to answer other questions. Nice guy.

I wanted to get some kind of price list from Mark, too, since I don't see anything on pricing on either the Alpha site or the New Tech Tennis site (unless I've just overlooked it somehow(?)).

varuscelli
10-27-2006, 07:57 PM
this is simple to do,
get a friend or family member with a cc that has a non tx address. order the machine and pick it up from mark if he will let you. problem solved, no tax. no shipping

Very tricky of you to suggest that. I like your style. ;)

Then, when I have to call or e-mail him for any follow-up tech support, I'll just say I'm asking questions on behalf of my mother-in-law in Chicago, who actually bought the machine. :)

No, but really -- that might be a perfectly workable solution. Good thought.

(But if I do pick it up from Alpha, I'll be spending about $50 in gasoline and nearly a day driving the round trip. So, the in-person pickup for me wouldn't really save me much in dollars, except for perhaps sales tax, and it would cost me a lot more time than a phone call to place an order would. I think I could get it shipped for around $40, if I'm not mistaken.)

I still appreciate the suggestion, though. It opens up a route or two to a bit of savings, anyway. Might indeed at least save me the sales tax.

jj300
10-27-2006, 08:06 PM
shipping is $50 or higher i think. ask if you can avoid paying tax by getting a non tx person to order but to ship to u, as a gift

varuscelli
10-27-2006, 08:07 PM
I wanted to get some kind of price list from Mark, too, since I don't see anything on pricing on either the Alpha site or the New Tech Tennis site (unless I've just overlooked it somehow(?)).

Oops, I was wrong about part of that. Alpha had already sent me a quote of $549 for the Alpha Revo with $40 shipping to me. The price also includes a $100 string pack (string unspecified in the e-mail to me).

I'd likely need to add about $45 more for tax (if I need to pay both tax and shipping), so overall cost to me would be somewhere between $630-$640, depending on the exact tax rate.