PDA

View Full Version : Why 14x18?

drummerboy
08-09-2004, 11:22 AM
Sorry guys this is gonna be another POG thread. It is about POG mid size. I am just wondering what is the history and what is the story with this extremely open string pattern. Was this just an experiment? Why 14x18? In my opinion POG is a beautiful frame but string pattern is too extreme. I feel that I will be breaking a lot more strings because my Luxilon Big Banger Original is moving a lot and is starting to wear out. With the previous 18x20 pattern this string would last forever. Well still it is a great racquet but IMO 16x19 pattern in a mid frame would be a bomb. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks

drummerboy

Colpo
08-09-2004, 02:46 PM
I can assure you that the open pattern was not any kind of experiment or lark by Prince. When the Prince mids were first introduced, Prince needed to in some way capture the relatively high power capability of their original OS designs in a smaller headsize, otherwise there wouldn't be much of a link to Prince's R&D past (i.e., making the game easier and more fun to play well). In order to capture that same power and spring, Prince blew open the string pattern of the mid, for greater trampoline and power despite the much smaller headsize. This made the mid have more of a connection to the OS than just composition and cosmetics. Interestingly, the 14 mains were not at all a topic of industry / reviewer's discussion upon overviewing these new models. We talk about the 14 mains much more here, 20 years later, than anybody did then! The Graphite mid was immediately embraced by one of the great Euro topspinners of the mid-80s, Thierry Tuslane of France, who clearly saw what the 14 mains were worth for his game. The POG mid was viewed as an excellent S & V accompaniment to the more cumbersome OS (the mid is also quite a bit more headlight).

Stormwolf
08-11-2004, 06:09 PM
14x18 string patterns are good if you want spin.
A 14x18 string pattern with 18 guage string will give looots of spin 8)