PDA

View Full Version : Possible christmas break tennis?

d_frank
10-28-2006, 03:23 PM
This winter, 3 friends and I are tentatively planning on travelling somewhere warm for our christmas break from school (about 2 weeks, give or take a few days). We're all seniors in high school, and we're all middle class, so we're not looking for resort type places. Basically, we want to go somewhere warm that will have outdoor public courts that are free most of the day. We are basically willing to go anywhere from florida over to california and anywhere in between. If you live in a comfortable southern city with nice courts, promote yourself and we'll look into staying there. We just want to get away and play some tennis for a couple weeks before heading back to the wisconsin winter :p

nalbandian_fan
10-28-2006, 03:52 PM
there are cheap motels almost everywhere, cheap airfares are what you need, and thatll depend on what airport your flying out of. One of my best tennis vacations ever was to a suburb of atlanta, i dont remember its name, mightve been called Marisa? idk.

d_frank
10-28-2006, 11:24 PM
actually i hadnt considered flying, but its a good idea. i had assumed we could just drive somewhere, but flying would give us more hours on the court, and we could just rent a car.. although idk if we'd be able to, with all of us under 18 at the time (i am oldest, and i wont be 18 until about a month after christmas).

Geezer Guy
10-30-2006, 07:45 AM
My understanding (I could be wrong) is that anyone under the age of 25 has a REALLY hard time renting a car.

With 4 of you driving, I'd just take one of your cars and alternate driving. The three guys who DON'T provide the car should pay for all the gas.

As for destinations, I think I saw that the largest public tennis facility in the US is in Alabama, or something like that? There was a thread here awhile back about different public tennis facilities, number of courts, costs, etc.

Most parks and many schools have free courts, most public tennis facilities have courts that are VERY reasonable.

-----

UPDATE: found it - http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=123988&highlight=public+tennis

oldguysrule
10-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Head south on Interstate 35 until you get to Waco, TX. The Tennis Center is awesome: http://www.wacotennis.com/. If you are playing during the day, there is no problem to get a court. Court fees are cheap and if you let me know, I can probably get you on free. Last Christmas we had sunshine and 80 degrees all week. (no guarantees there).

Also in Waco:
Nationally ranked Baylor University men's and women's tennis.
2006 USTA Men's 4.0 National Champs
Texas Sports Hall of Fame, including the Texas Tennis Hall of Fame.
Lake Waco for swimming, skiing, or fishing.
Several very nice, reasonably priced golf courses.
Reasonable hotel rates.

d_frank
10-30-2006, 02:32 PM
oh thats awesome. ill definitely look into the waco thing. i looked at the site, seems awesome. that would be a good vacation.

KBalla08
10-30-2006, 04:29 PM
also in Texas: Newks :) their xmas tennis camps r fun and really good, i suggest u think that one over

whodey
11-02-2006, 08:05 PM
idk if we'd be able to, with all of us under 18 at the time (i am oldest, and i wont be 18 until about a month after christmas).

Where are you going to stay?

I thought you have to be 18 to get a hotel room anywhere.