PDA

View Full Version : Tennis in Chicago

sloe_torture
10-28-2006, 05:57 PM
I know this is a little early but, better than later...

I'll be in the NW side of Chicago for winter break from Dec. 18 to Jan. 8. I'd like to know if anybody would be interested in hitting or practicing during my time there. I'll be getting a membership at McFetridge Park (as recommended by another TW poster) so reserving an indoor court won't be a problem. I can also play at your indoor courts in town or in the nearby suburbs just as long as its within a 30-minute drive for me. I'll be available to play most of the day.

I'd also like to get recommendations for indoor courts in Chicago or the NW suburbs that offer group lessons / rally groups for myself and for my beginner girlfriend... preferrably courts that have low membership fees as we'll only be in town for 3-4 weeks.

I'm male with an unrated 4.0-4.5 playing level. I've recently taken up tennis this past year after a long break but have played junior tennis in the mid-90's. This year I have played in 35-player 4.0 tennis leagues in Los Angeles and won about 60% of my matches.

I'm mainly a baseliner. Moderate to heavy topspin on serve (85-95 mph first serve). Good topspin forehand. Average topspin backhand. Below average S&V. This would best describe me on an average day.

Hit me up if you'd be interested in playing: sloe_torture[@]yahoo[.]com

Thanks.

ChicagoJack
11-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Hi sloe torture -

1. McFettridge is going to be your best bet for a low priced 3-4 week window. I played at McFettridge Park for many years, and just wanted to pass on some info. It's one of the few indoor clubs that don't require pricey yearly memberships, and as such, the competition for available indoor court time can be stiff, during the cold and lengthy Chicago winters. You can book courts a 6 days in advance, so I got in the habit of speed dialing the club over and over again a few minutes before opening for business. I'd have to do this on tuesday morning to book for monday, and wednesday morning to book for tuesday etc. Most folks at the club sign up for drills and leagues, to get the guaranteed court time, then play the telephone roullete game to get personal court time. There are 4.0-4.5 level drills on tues & thurs nights, there are always one or two 3.5's who sneak in somehow, but the drills are pretty good just the same. The real fun is friday nights. A two hour drill from 8-10, then there's the league play on all but a few courts from 10pm - 1 or 2 in the morning. Some folks do the drill, then camp on an unclaimed court till the wee hours.

2. You can also check out the Park District Club in Wilmette, the yearly fee is a only few hundred dollars, and court time is much easier to get. You don't have to be a resident to join. They also offer half year memberships. It's about 10-15 minutes north of Evanston.

3. The other option is Tam Tennis and Fitness in Niles. Never played there, but it's the other low priced option for north siders.

4. I'd be happy to have a hit with you as a guest at my club, but I've since moved out to the far west suburbs (naperville, bolingbrook, aurora area) This is about an 1 hour+ drive from the city. If you get a serious tennis jones, and can't get a fix, don't mind the drive, I'd be happy to hit with you. I compete at the 4.5/5.0 & Open level, but enjoy a friendly hit with anybody who can keep a ball going.

Best regards to you, and take care
-Jack

max
11-11-2006, 06:06 AM
Chicago Jack; send me an email; siwash85@hotmail.com Maybe we can find some time to hit.

Rafa's best friend
11-11-2006, 06:16 AM
If you are going to be in NW suburbs, there is a nice club in Arlington Heights area, that i have membership in, if you are interested. Mcfetriddge is good cheaper choice but it is far from NW suburbs, next to Midtown actually. But i also do know of good 4.0-4.5 level mixers you can go to as well, and this you don't have to be a member. Also, Midtown has the best courts in Chicago, i have privilage for court time there as well. I am 4.0-4.5 USTA rated player.

sloe_torture
11-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Hi sloe torture -

1. McFettridge is going to be your best bet for a low priced 3-4 week window. I played at McFettridge Park for many years, and just wanted to pass on some info. It's one of the few indoor clubs that don't require pricey yearly memberships, and as such, the competition for available indoor court time can be stiff, during the cold and lengthy Chicago winters. You can book courts a 6 days in advance, so I got in the habit of speed dialing the club over and over again a few minutes before opening for business. I'd have to do this on tuesday morning to book for monday, and wednesday morning to book for tuesday etc. Most folks at the club sign up for drills and leagues, to get the guaranteed court time, then play the telephone roullete game to get personal court time. There are 4.0-4.5 level drills on tues & thurs nights, there are always one or two 3.5's who sneak in somehow, but the drills are pretty good just the same. The real fun is friday nights. A two hour drill from 8-10, then there's the league play on all but a few courts from 10pm - 1 or 2 in the morning. Some folks do the drill, then camp on an unclaimed court till the wee hours.

2. You can also check out the Park District Club in Wilmette, the yearly fee is a only few hundred dollars, and court time is much easier to get. You don't have to be a resident to join. They also offer half year memberships. It's about 10-15 minutes north of Evanston.

3. The other option is Tam Tennis and Fitness in Niles. Never played there, but it's the other low priced option for north siders.

4. I'd be happy to have a hit with you as a guest at my club, but I've since moved out to the far west suburbs (naperville, bolingbrook, aurora area) This is about an 1 hour+ drive from the city. If you get a serious tennis jones, and can't get a fix, don't mind the drive, I'd be happy to hit with you. I compete at the 4.5/5.0 & Open level, but enjoy a friendly hit with anybody who can keep a ball going.

Same invitation applies for all TW members. I'd leave my email, but it's got my full name in it. Leave a reply here and we can work it out somehow.

Best regards to you, and take care
-Jack

Jack, thanks for the comprehensive list of tennis options available in Chicago. I'll definitely get a card at McFettridge and maybe check out Niles. My girlfriend has family in Wilmette and hopefully I'll be able to check out the Wilmette courts. I also found out the membership fees at Midtown and are unjustifiable for a short stay in Chicago.

sloe_torture
11-15-2006, 04:08 PM
If you are going to be in NW suburbs, there is a nice club in Arlington Heights area, that i have membership in, if you are interested. Mcfetriddge is good cheaper choice but it is far from NW suburbs, next to Midtown actually. But i also do know of good 4.0-4.5 level mixers you can go to as well, and this you don't have to be a member. Also, Midtown has the best courts in Chicago, i have privilage for court time there as well. I am 4.0-4.5 USTA rated player.

Hey Rafa, thanks for the Chicago tennis info. Non-member mixers sounds like a good option but I don't really know what it means. It sounds a prelude to finding a good tennis partner. Yeah, I've heard of it but never really participated in one. Is it a set of open courts available for group play, with each player alternating in and out of games? Is it only at MidTown or is it available at other indoor courts in the Chicago area?

Also, I would definitely be interested in hitting with you while I'm in Chicago (mid December to mid January). Please send me an email at sloe_torture( @ )yahoo( . )com and I'll send you my contact information.

Regards,
ST

DrB
12-31-2006, 03:24 PM
ChicagoJack,
I am in St Charles, and am always looking for someonre to hit with,especially someone beter than me. (solid 3.5 here working on breaking into the 4s) If you are near and do not mind my lower level, email me and see if we can set something up.
openwydr@earthlink.net