PDA

View Full Version : Undecided on grip size...please help!!!

Virgilio
08-09-2004, 02:01 PM
...oh well, after much thoughts...I am still undecided on which grip to choose, a 3 size (4 3/8 ) or a 4 size (4 1/2). If I use Wilson't printed measurement, I definitely and perfectly have a 4 size. And though I currently use a 3 size+overgrip in my racquet and feel it's a little too small (slightly), still I am scared to buy a 4 'cause if it's too big I can't go back. I am also scared of putting on plastic sleeves or extra grips 'cause in the first case I don't think I would be too good at putting it (plus I would pay more which I don't see why), and extra grips tend to round too much.

This is all because in my city no tennis shop has a number 4 racquets...they all have 3 and say: u can always make it bigger...yeah, I know that, but that stinks. I want to order from TW and I am confused about it this thing! Please help !!!

Virgilio
08-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Up, won't give up 'till I get some help!

I tried in the meanwhile once more my actual racquet...it's a Head, grip size 3 with overgrip. If I hold it tight my medium finger is about to touch my palm...maybe 1-2 mm left. That too small for me?

BLiND
08-10-2004, 04:07 AM
Some days I feel the grip is too small... sometimes too large. I generally go for a smaller size and add grips.

Feņa14
08-10-2004, 04:34 AM
Yeah I would go for the smaller one and with an Overgrip it would be better than the 4 and an overgrip.

It also depends what your after, smaller grip generally gives more spin and it depends on your age as if you are a teenager then you might want the bigger size to grow into. Another factor is the manufacturer, like Head ones are very wierd and you have to choose size based on your prefered shape.

You really need to hold the racket, can't you get a demo from TW?

-Liam

rosine
08-10-2004, 07:31 AM
Maybe you could measure?

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Gripsize/Gripsize.html

You could take the suggestion from the other posts but you should generally take the biggest grip you can comfortably handle. The reason is because you put less strain on your arm by not squeezing so tight on the grip. To me, if your finger is about to touch your palm when gripping the racquet then you could probably go up to the 4.5 grip. But I am not sure if Head grips run small or not.

Good luck!

cakewalk
08-10-2004, 08:11 AM
just get 4 1/2

rosine
08-10-2004, 08:24 AM
... I am scared to buy a 4 'cause if it's too big I can't go back.

Hey Virgilio,

Don't be scared.. Big is good. How's the saying go? "Once you go big, you can't go back"... or something like that.

I'm sorry, I had to throw that in. Please forgive me. I'm bored.

Virgilio
08-10-2004, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the replies (Rosine, u drunk, ain't ya?)...uhm, I am kind of thinking about getting the bigger size...my Head actually has a 3. My 3 grip size + an overgrip still runs small...(as I said my medium finger almost touches the palm) so I was wondering...if 4 size is only 1/8 inch bigger, how could it run too big??? It should not.