PDA

View Full Version : Stringing machine?

federer24
10-31-2006, 02:46 AM
I'm a junior player and I'm spending more money than I would like on getting my rackets strung. Is it worthwile investing in a stringing machine? My budget is 100 ( $200 ) I'm from Britain !
How hard is it to string a racket and how long will it take?

pmata814
10-31-2006, 05:01 AM
I suppose you could do the math of how many times a month you are stringing and how much the total cost is...but for me just having the ability to experiment with different strings & tensions... and not having to wait for my racquet to be strung makes it worth it.

It takes me about 45 minutes, by the way I'm also new to stringing, but I string on an upright crank machine (Alpha Axis Pro). With your budget you would have to go with something like a Klippermate and I don't know how much harder it would be to string on a machine like that. I did get to string with a FIXED clamp dropweight, before I upgraded to the Axis Pro, and though it's a bit more cumbersome It's still enjoyable. Just not as much as a crank ;)

federer24
10-31-2006, 05:37 AM
Well since I'm now using gut I'll probably be spending $70 or more a month. I would like to experiment with different tensions and strings so it probably is a good idea. Do you know any sites which take you through step by step about stringing? Do Tennis Warehouse ship to the UK?If not do you know any international sites where I can look at the Klippermate.
Thanks

theace21
10-31-2006, 06:04 AM
For under $200, take a look at the SP Swing. Not sure what shipping will run.

raiden031
10-31-2006, 06:14 AM
I recently bought the klippermate (spent about $145 and live in the US) and I did four racquets in a week. All of which turned out perfect. The first racquet took 3 hours, the second took 1.5 hours, and the last two took 1 hour each. That includes measuring and cutting the string from the reel and everything. The only reason the first one took so long is because I botched it halfway through and had to start over plus I was carefully reading the instructions over and over. I would recommend this stringer, especially if you have a tight budget.

federer24
10-31-2006, 06:46 AM
I'm looking for the klippermate but can't find it on a uk site and it's not on TW either. Any sites like TW that sell klippermate?

purespin
10-31-2006, 08:49 AM
I'm looking for the klippermate but can't find it on a uk site and it's not on TW either. Any sites like TW that sell klippermate?
You can order it directly from http://www.klipperusa.com/. They're having promotion now and only sells it for $135. Pretty good deal!
I placed my order just before they reduced the price. I called them and they honored the lower price and give me back the money. Very good customer service.
I had it shipped to Canada without any problem. I'm pretty sure they will ship to UK. Just email or call them about some other shipping options.

pmata814
10-31-2006, 08:54 AM
...Do you know any sites which take you through step by step about stringing?...

SPTENNISdotcom
STRINGFORUMdotnet

federer24
11-01-2006, 02:32 AM
Thanks! I think I'll go for the klippermate, great price. :) :) :)

federer24
11-01-2006, 02:33 AM
Thanks! I think I'll go for the klippermate, great price.
sry i posted it again

huz
11-04-2006, 11:32 AM
:o just wondering, federer24, what was the total price of your klippermate in pounds and have you received it? I am curious as I am also from the UK and was interested in the Klippermate but was not sure about shipping/customs charges. Have you received it and if so what was the total price??

Milano
11-05-2006, 04:59 AM
One question, since you just bought a klippermate...I want to buy this one, but wasn't sure if the brown piece was supposed to be their near the gripper and if the clamps were like that. Went to the klipper website, but couldn't tell from the picture.

Thanks!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/xSniper915/klipperpic.jpg

varuscelli
11-05-2006, 05:32 AM
One question, since you just bought a klippermate...I want to buy this one, but wasn't sure if the brown piece was supposed to be their near the gripper and if the clamps were like that. Went to the klipper website, but couldn't tell from the picture.

Thanks!

Looks like a piece of cardboard tube that someone stuck on there to keep the weight from accidentally slamming downwards if it's loosened. Can't picture that as standard equipment(?). But what do I know? I'm just guessing...;) (and maybe it's part of the original packing material, eh?)

dancraig
11-05-2006, 05:04 PM

aussie
11-05-2006, 06:35 PM
The carboard is on the tension arm as packaging. Remove and commence stringing when ready!!

federer24
11-07-2006, 10:58 AM
:o just wondering, federer24, what was the total price of your klippermate in pounds and have you received it? I am curious as I am also from the UK and was interested in the Klippermate but was not sure about shipping/customs charges. Have you received it and if so what was the total price??
Sorry huz, I've not ordered it yet ( thinking about getting it for Christmas)
The klippermate is about 70 I think, not sure about shipping costs etc.

federer24
11-07-2006, 11:00 AM

Thanks!

I've not bought it yet, but am probably getting it soon.

gotwheels
11-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Take a look at the Alpha String Pal. Great starter machine with some features better than the Klippermate or Gamma. This machine is overlooked a lot - nice features, probably the lowest cost for the features, and great service. The best pictures of the machine are at newtechtennis dot com.