PDA

View Full Version : Strange knee pains

Lee James
08-09-2004, 04:48 PM
When I woke up this morning my knee was killing me. Lately I've been running a mile or 2 each night and also running steps at the local hs stadium. It feels tight. It hurts when I bend my leg back. Also there is a tightness feeling around the knee cap. For instance if you were to put your index fingers together and your thumbs together and then placed that on top of the knee you get the picture of the area thats feeling tight. I went out today and played some light basketball and it didn't hurt, but it popped a lot, as if I were cracking my knuckles. I'm interested in knowing what it might be like if it's over use or if it could be something more serious like tendinitis. All incite is appreciated.

Lindsay16
08-11-2004, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure but it culd be similar to what I had. In June I was just coming down stairs and came down weird and I ended up tearing my cartilage. I went to the doctor and she ignored it and told me it was fine so when it felt a little better I hurt it again playing basketball and then I went to an orthapedic doctor and he had me get an MRI and thats how I found out I tore the cartilage and It ended up I had to get surgery to repair it (they only do repairs to younger patients for older patients they remove the torn peices) it also turned out that the second time I hurt it I also tore my ACL. So make sure you see a doctor because you dont want something worse to happen like it did to me... You might want to see an orthapedic doctor like I did. You never know, It could just be over-worked. Good Luck!

hihihi8402
08-17-2004, 07:27 PM
Is it below your kneecap or above it or under it that hurts? Each of these points toward a different problem. You said that when you bend your knee back it hurts and it was caused by running/stair training. So, if it is belowyour kneecap, it may be patellar tendonitis aka jumpers knee. This usually results from overuse and causes swelling in the patellar tendon. The patellar tendon connects the main muscle in the front of your thigh to your shin bone. There really isn't a cure for this other than rest and ice to decrease swelling. If it gets really bad then you may need cortisone injections or surgery, but since you can still walk and play basketball you won't need these more drastic measures.

--Mike