PDA

View Full Version : dropweight stringing question

strcmp
11-02-2006, 10:44 PM
For a dropweight stringing machine, when you drop the weight, do you wait like 30 seconds to make sure that the dropweight stretches the string to its max?

I noticed that if i wait a few seconds the weight drops a little bit meaning the string can still stretch. Waiting for this however makes stringing longer. I noticed a lot of you have 40-60 min stringing times, do you guys just drop the weight to level and then immediately move on? or do you actually wait for the weight to drop a little?

Thanks

SteveI
11-03-2006, 02:29 AM
For a dropweight stringing machine, when you drop the weight, do you wait like 30 seconds to make sure that the dropweight stretches the string to its max?

I noticed that if i wait a few seconds the weight drops a little bit meaning the string can still stretch. Waiting for this however makes stringing longer. I noticed a lot of you have 40-60 min stringing times, do you guys just drop the weight to level and then immediately move on? or do you actually wait for the weight to drop a little?

Thanks

Hi,

It really depends on you. What you are discribing is the "constant pull" feature of your dropweight stringer. This feature can create a somewhat firmer stringbed over say a lock-out machine. If you are stinging only for yourself, you can decide what you like in a stringbed. If you are stringing for others you will have to be aware of the differances in the types of machines that your clients frames have been strung on and make adjustments if needed.

Regards,
Steve

Richie Rich
11-03-2006, 04:03 AM

Thanks

depends on the string. i let poly rest for about 5 seconds once the drop arm is level and then i clamp the string. for a softer string i wait longer - say 15 seconds. this is with giving the strings a light pre stretch before stringing too.

it takes a little longer but i still get a racquet done in 30 minutes.

Nuke
11-03-2006, 04:29 AM
Yeah, like Rich said, polys don't stretch much, so you don't need to wait before clamping, but syngut does stretch. While the arm is still moving, I string ahead the next string, so I'm not wasting time just waiting for the arm to stop.

rasajadad
11-03-2006, 05:28 AM
It's possible your string gripper is slipping and what you are seeing is not the string stretching.

strcmp
11-03-2006, 05:28 AM
Good stuff to know..

I should be able to lower my stringing times next time.. :)

strcmp
11-03-2006, 05:30 AM
It's possible your string gripper is slipping and what you are seeing is not the string stretching.

I don't think its the gripper.
Usually when my string gripper slips, it makes this really loud nasty noise.

strcmp
11-03-2006, 05:54 AM
I just thought of another question related to this stretching..

Do you get the dropweight level before this stretching action occurs? Or do you try to make it level after the stretching occurs?

Richie Rich
11-03-2006, 08:01 AM
I just thought of another question related to this stretching..

Do you get the dropweight level before this stretching action occurs? Or do you try to make it level after the stretching occurs?

for me it depends how far off level the arm drops when the string is stretched. a couple of degrees i don't worry (especially if i'm stringing my own racquets). if the arm drops more than that i'll tension the string again so the arm ends up level when i'm finished the second pull.

andrew_b
11-03-2006, 08:11 AM
for me it depends how far off level the arm drops when the string is stretched. a couple of degrees i don't worry (especially if i'm stringing my own racquets). if the arm drops more than that i'll tension the string again so the arm ends up level when i'm finished the second pull.
Ditto. I drop it, get it to level (usually only involves a click or two), and then clamp. If it goes off more than about 5 degrees (about 1.5" on my machine at the tensions I usually string), I'll re-adjust it before clamping.

play well,
Andrew

rasajadad
11-03-2006, 11:05 AM
I don't think its the gripper.
Usually when my string gripper slips, it makes this really loud nasty noise.

Some do make a noise, but I have the Klippermate which doesn't.

tennis-skater
11-03-2006, 11:21 AM
im not sure if im the only one that has done this but i measured out the arm completely flat and drew a sharpie line across the drum that rotates so i know when its exactly flat

SteveI
11-03-2006, 11:42 AM
im not sure if im the only one that has done this but i measured out the arm completely flat and drew a sharpie line across the drum that rotates so i know when its exactly flat

Hi,

Some have taked that a step further by attaching a small level to the arm to indicate when the arm is flat.

Regards,
Steve

aussie
11-03-2006, 09:00 PM
I use a card on a stand to indicate horizontal which I place behind the tension arm up against the machine (Klippermate). I've actually marked a range on the card (above and below horizontal) which is the acceptable range for the bar to rest. Remember the bar doesn't have to be perfectly horizontal for the tension to be accurate.

As to the amount of time to wait before clamping, I allow about 5 seconds on all strings. So long as the bar is within the range I've marked on my card at the end of 5 seconds, I'll clamp off.

As rasajadad mentioned, if the tension arm drops excessively, check that the gripper jaws don't need cleaning because it probably means the string is slipping. On a Klippermate, there is no noise, the arm just drops suddenly.

dancraig
11-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Depending on the string, the Klippermate gripper can need cleaning after only five or six stringings.

aussie
11-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Depending on the string, the Klippermate gripper can need cleaning after only five or six stringings.
Definitely right Dan. Clean after 6 string jobs regularly all you'll get caught out mid string job and boy is that annoying. And cleaning is very easy on the Kmate.

Koz
11-16-2006, 08:49 PM
I let my arm come to rest...so the string has stretched out quite a bit. What I do is, after tenstioning, I wait to clamp the string off. While it's stretching I go ahead and feed the string through the next main, or weave the next cross. This way I'm getting work done while waiting for the string to stretch. In that case, you aren't waiting any longer on the tensioner, you've already moved on to the next step. After you weave the next cross or whatever, the string should have stretched most of the way, if not all of the way that it's going to stretch. Clamp it off then, and just keep playin catch-up with your tensioning (tensioning the last thing you weaved, while weaving one ahead). Also, I make it so the arm is horizontal AFTER the stretch. Why would you do it any other way?

Redflea
11-17-2006, 12:29 AM
Thanks - I wasn't aware of this "wait" time. Good to know, glad to see this thread...

hifi heretic
11-17-2006, 07:39 AM
I have a Laserfibre MS200TT (w/single action clamps) and I too have noticed this. It seems to happen much more with multifiber strings (Wilson NXT, Sensation, etc..) than with poly's. It is definitely the string stretching and NOT the string slipping.

So as to achieve consistent results, I definitely wait until the drop arm stops moving. Of course, this results in a stringbed that is much tighter than what I've seen on racquets done on a lockout machine. ..I play with a Volkl DNX9 and will usually string it at 48lbs (multifilament string), which gives me a stringbed that feels similar to what I get when a friend strings my racquets at 54 on his lockout machine (forget the brand). A pretty big differential, I think..

max
11-17-2006, 08:11 AM
I've seen this "drop" happen; depends on the string. I usually wait a bit, especially the first few mains, to see if it's happening.

With respect to the Klippermate, I haven't yet cleaned the jaws. I probably should! I've strung 50 racquets or so. . .