PDA

View Full Version : New Gamma 6004 in the House

varuscelli
11-04-2006, 02:10 AM
All right, this is not exactly the path I intended to take. All I wanted was a solid tabletop stringing machine -- not too expensive, but of good reputation for durability and reliability. I could have sworn what I was going to end up with was an Alpha Revo 4000 or a LaserFibre MS200TT.

So what do I have sitting in my house? A nearly brand new Gamma 6004 (latest model, 6-point mounting). The owner's manual shows Issue 5 - June 2006, so it can't be very old. The picture below is what it should look like after I get it assembled.

http://206.210.94.83/assets/product_full/MG63_06_large.jpg

According to the original owner (a stringer by trade), he used it to string exactly one racquet -- and I believe him. He could have told me it had never been used at all, and I would not have been able to tell from the look of all the parts (in the two boxes it came in). It looks as though it had never been assembled before. All the original parts and pieces, much of it wrapped in plastic, all of it packed in Styrofoam and boxed as if it had come straight from the manufacturer. Full set of tools, too, as packaged by Gamma.

I was content to wait until I found the right deal on a machine I had targeted, but was also trying to keep an open mind about options, and sure enough something came up (this Gamma 6004). I'm almost embarrassed to say what I paid for it, but after shipping and insurance it came out to about $150 more than a new Alpha Revo 4000 was going to cost me (after tax and shipping) and for less than a new Gamma 5003. If you do the math, you can see roughly what I paid.

I opened it up and took a look at everything last night and man, it looks like a nice machine. The turntable and hardware look sturdy and really well machined. Wow...

I do feel a bit intimidated right now, like I might have bitten off a bit more than I can chew. But what a lucky move to get this thing. By all rights, it should have been sold for a whole lot more than I got it for. But certainly if it had sold for even a little bit more, I wouldn't be the one sitting here with it. Funny how things work sometimes.

Oh, well...I'm sure I'll have more to say about this later. Stayed up half the night working and the rest of it looking at the stringer.

So for now, g'night....zzzzzzzzzzz.....

Bolt
11-04-2006, 06:14 AM
Congrats on the purchase! I can't wait to read your follow-up.

theace21
11-04-2006, 07:58 AM
Great machine and a bargain price - what could be better...

andrew_b
11-04-2006, 08:37 AM
What an awesome deal and a nice new addition! Congrats!

play well,
Andrew

varuscelli
11-04-2006, 09:21 AM
You know, I sort of rolled the dice and took a chance on this machine as an Internet-based purchase. I talked to the guy a couple of times and everything he said seemed legitimate (really nice guy to talk to on the phone and very knowledgeable). Everything he told me seemed to check out as far as not raising any red flags.

But you know how it can go if you buy something via an Internet seller when you can't see/touch the item in person. Worse-case scenarios often happen when deals look really good and turn out not to be. I used as much caution as I could, paying with my business credit card, talking to the seller more than once, and doing a bit of...hmmm..."side" research to be safe (enough so to be pretty well confident in making the payment). And after actually seeing the machine in person, everything the seller stated about it seems to be accurate.

It's great, too, because the seller packed it all up very conscientiously (he knew where and how everything was supposed to go and placed it all accordingly) and he shipped it to me quickly. I thought I wouldn't see it for a week, but got it within three days. But I didn't want to say much of anything about it here for that slight fear in the back of my mind of "What if it doesn't show up?" It's not like I was buying from a retailer, so I couldn't be 100 percent sure. Sure looks good now, though. :)

Redflea
11-04-2006, 10:38 AM
varuscelli:

So this is the deal you were hush-hush about...very nice. Congrats.

But I"m lonely now...you've left me behind. I'm still shopping and now you'll be stringing already. :)

Look forward to your comments on your new beast....

eunjam
11-04-2006, 01:12 PM
damn this is one good looking baby.

Davai
11-04-2006, 01:28 PM
It surely is a very nice machine. Dedinetely alot better than any table top - which can be a pain at times. And further more you can upgrade in the future if you choose to, although there really is no real necessity to upgrade.

varuscelli
11-04-2006, 08:39 PM
But I"m lonely now...you've left me behind. I'm still shopping and now you'll be stringing already. :)

Weeks from now I'll probably still be staring at it, wondering what to do next. :(

Now I need to figure out what to do about string. Even that decision is intimidating. I feel like brain lock is coming on.

At least I feel confident about assembling the machine.

Fortunately for me, I've got a tennis playing buddy who's been stringing out of his home for many years and I'm betting he won't mind helping me out some. I think it's time to give him a call -- and maybe even invite him over to help me figure the 6004 out.

pmata814
11-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Congrats varuscelli!! Please post a follow-up once it's up and running :D

varuscelli
11-04-2006, 08:54 PM
Congrats varuscelli!! Please post a follow-up once it's up and running :D

Yes, I'll post a photo of me sitting in a chair across the room, staring at the machine from a safe distance.

(Maybe I'll cordon it off with some of that yellow and black police tape to keep myself from getting too close. The machine won't feel any safer, but I will.)

billyboybeacon
11-05-2006, 06:35 PM
did you buy it off fleabay? I was watching an auction for a 6004 and forget when it was closing and wasn't by my computer at the end of the auction.....

Redflea
11-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Yes, I'll post a photo of me sitting in a chair across the room, staring at the machine from a safe distance.

(Maybe I'll cordon it off with some of that yellow and black police tape to keep myself from getting too close. The machine won't feel any safer, but I will.)

Varuscelli, this is the USRSA. Please, step away from the 6004 and no one will get hurt...

;)

varuscelli
11-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Varuscelli, this is the USRSA. Please, step away from the 6004 and no one will get hurt...

;)

I knew it. I knew if I sat and waited long enough something exactly like this would come up. :mad:

I also knew I wasn't being paranoid.

:p

jonolau
11-06-2006, 03:44 AM

Ha ha, that's exactly how I felt when I first received my machine, Al.

I went to the seller's house to collect it at 11pm at night, lugged all 30kg of it up to my 3rd floor walk-up apartment, and sat it squarely in the middle of my bedroom.

It just lay there staring me down and taunting me. This silent war went on for almost 2 weeks before I plucked up the courage to wrestle it down.

I came out victorious with the exception of horribly botched up tie-offs which looked like something the cat dragged in, and a huge slash across the belly from holding the awl in one hand whilst trying to pull the strings through the crosses. I still have the scar to show for my first attempt.

After that, it was all a breeze.

What I would suggest before cutting out the strings in your old racquet is to trace the direction of the strings, taking note of where the strings cross over (if it's a one piece job), location of tie-off knots etc. If possible, take a picture of the strings and tie-offs with a digicam before cutting out the strings.

From there, it's all child's play. The only thing you have to look out for is to make sure that you lock the clamps onto the table-top before releasing the spring tensioner.

Good luck and ENJOY!

varuscelli
11-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Ha ha, that's exactly how I felt when I first received my machine, Al.

Good luck and ENJOY!

Thanks, Jon, I appreciate the feedback. When I was doing my research, I remember reading what you related about staring at your machine for a couple of weeks before you did anything with it, so I didn't feel quite alone. ;)

I didn't have any real extra time this weekend to dedicate to the stringer, so it's still boxed up. I'll try to get it assembled this afternoon or tomorrow if I can. (Then I can post a "real" photo of it.)

I like your idea of having a visual reference point, and taking a couple of digital photos of the string pattern/tie-offs of whatever racquet I'm going to string is an easy thing for me to do. I just happen to have a couple of digital cameras lying around I can use for that. Seems like that would be a great way to help me, initially.

Thanks again, Jon.

Al

jonolau
11-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Thanks, Jon, I appreciate the feedback. When I was doing my research, I remember reading what you related about staring at your machine for a couple of weeks before you did anything with it, so I didn't feel quite alone. ;)

I didn't have any real extra time this weekend to dedicate to the stringer, so it's still boxed up. I'll try to get it assembled this afternoon or tomorrow if I can. (Then I can post a "real" photo of it.)

I like your idea of having a visual reference point, and taking a couple of digital photos of the string pattern/tie-offs of whatever racquet I'm going to string is an easy thing for me to do. I just happen to have a couple of digital cameras lying around I can use for that. Seems like that would be a great way to help me, initially.

Thanks again, Jon.

Al

No worries, Al. However, seeing what a hands-on person you are, you will probably take a picture and never have to refer back to it.