PDA

View Full Version : Adding weight to handle

cakewalk
08-10-2004, 07:32 AM
How do you add weight to the handle of a Pro Staff 85? What are all the options? like .. lead grip tape?

BigK35
08-10-2004, 08:04 AM
There is an article at Tenniswarehouse.com in the learning area under racquet customizing. The way to do it is to stuff the handle.

-BigK35-

Rackethead
08-10-2004, 09:18 AM
Others have had success with silicone sealant. I wouldn't recommend the TW approach - stuffing it with cotton and lead sinkers -- if that cotton gets wet it could change the weight a great deal so the weight would be unpredictable.

Deuce
08-10-2004, 11:15 PM
If you want to add weight in the handle to affect the balance the most, and not simply the overall weight, the weight should be added as close to the butt end as possible - i.e. BEHIND your hand. One of the best ways I've found to do this is by using a 50 cent coin. It weighs about 11 or 12 grams, and can fit either inside the butt cap, or on the outside of it. If putting the coin on the outside, remove the grip(s) down to the bare handle. Turn racquet so that the head is touching the ground, and the handle is straight up. Place the coin in the center of the butt cap. Take a piece of duct tape and tape the coin to the butt cap, wrapping the tape around where the butt cap overlaps the bottom part of the handle in the process. If putting two coins on the outside, tape them independently, with two pieces of tape.

ffrpg
08-26-2004, 09:47 PM
I thought I was the only person who used change to add weight to the handle of a racquet. I use nickels though (they weigh 5 grams each) and it works quite well. I used two nickels and put them inside the buttcap. If anyone tries this.. I recommend finding a "shock absorbing" material of some sort. If you hit a off center hit, the coins vibrate and send the vibrations throughout the frame. I found a thin foam material (it's foam double sided tape) and taped one end of the foam to the buttom of the handle of the racquet and just put the nickel on top of it and put the butt cap over it. I've also tried wrapping change with leftover overgrip and that works quite well.