PDA

View Full Version : Bought a new stringing machine

EricW
11-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Ok, so this is the new stringing machine that I have gotten:

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/f7/91/pr-Tennis-Gamma_Progression_Stringing_Machine_II_ST-resized200.jpg

* Manual spring tension winder.
* 11-89 lbs (5-40 kgs) range.
* 6 point Quick Mount System.
* Slim profile all metal diamond coated string clamps with a unique self locking adjustment knob to hold strings with less clamping pressure.
* Quick Action die cast aluminum string clamp base.
* Strong, light-weight aluminum extrusion construction includes base with built-in tool tray & drawer.
* Tools Included: Gamma Pathfinder Awl, Awl, Pliers, Razor Cutter.

I put it all together, and i'm totally intiminated about stringing my first racquet.. I dont have any broken racquets or anything lying around so I need to string with a good racquet.. I don't want to crack my racquet or anything. The instructions barely help.. so, any advice?

Also what type of stringing job should I do? 1 peice of 2 peice? BTW i'm stringing an old Pure Drive

josephhkim
11-04-2006, 05:52 PM
congrats on buying a stringing machine!

Plus its a gamma manual machine. Even better!

indeed, the first time i strung a racket was very intimidating too, but with some careful research, it'll go very smoothly.

The manuals don't tend to explain very well.

I recommend going to http://www.stringforum.net/stringingguide.php and read the stringing guide, it can be very helpful.

Also go to silent partner's website (www.sptennis.com) and watch the videos, they are very helpful.

Either type of stringing will work. 2 piece is good for hybrids. I tend to use one piece for simplicity, less knots, and i string faster that way.

Good luck.

DRtenniS1112
11-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Another tip to just allow things to go smoother would be to not use polys or stiff strings.

varuscelli
11-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Ok, so this is the new stringing machine that I have gotten:

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/f7/91/pr-Tennis-Gamma_Progression_Stringing_Machine_II_ST-resized200.jpg

Did you mention that it was a Gamma Progression ST-II? ;) (Or did I miss that in there somewhere?)

I'm intimidated, too, by the machine I got. Maybe we need to start a club.

Fortunately, I have a few old racquets I can practice on first, if I want to. My advice to you on racquets: drive around until you find a pawn shop or second-hand store and see if they have any tennis racquets for sale cheap. Get one and experiment away. :)

pmata814
11-04-2006, 07:58 PM
My advice to you on racquets: drive around until you find a pawn shop or second-hand store and see if they have any tennis racquets for sale cheap. Get one and experiment away. :)

Guys, I don't think that's necessary. With 6-point mounting system It's not likely that you're going to crack a frame. I was kind of scared also when i first got my machine but just jumped in and everything was fine...just as everyone here told me it would :p My first racquet I did something VERY wrong, don't know what, but I ended up with the crosses slanted. (as if I had skipped a cross or something) Even then the frame remained in perfect condtion. You'll make mistakes, but you'll just have to start over, the way I had to do it...twice!! Happy stringing!!

EricW
11-04-2006, 07:59 PM
It's actually the Gamma X-ST, I put up the wrong image, to see exactly what I got, go to h o l a b i r d s p o r t s . com and go into the stringing machine section and I got the Gamma X-ST (What's the difference in the ST-II?)

Oh, and does it differ racquet to racquet where the crosses start, which holes, etc?

josephhkim
11-05-2006, 11:53 AM
There is no need to buy a cheap racket.

As long as you follow a guide, there is no way you will damage the racket.

Each racket has a different stringing pattern, (well actually, they are all pretty similar) so go find your stringing pattern.

They have stringing patterns everywhere: manufacturer's websites, sptenis, stringforum.

Don't be scared about stringing, its actually quite easy.

EricW
11-05-2006, 05:06 PM
I strung 4 racquets today, it's getting addictive

josephhkim
11-06-2006, 02:18 PM
congratulations!

how long did each one take?

Did it go smoothly?

It will no longer be addictive after about the 100th one. :-D

jonolau
11-07-2006, 07:00 AM
I strung 4 racquets today, it's getting addictive
Congrats! That was the exact feeling I had. After more than 50 jobs in the past 2 months, I'm still enjoying it and find it extremely therapeutic after a long day at work.