PDA

View Full Version : help with a new racquet

robstar
08-10-2004, 10:10 AM
HI, this is my first post. I'm a freshman getting ready to go into a D1 tennis program and i play 5.0 or 5.5 singles. I've been playing with a wilson hyper prostaff 5.0 stretch for probably around 4 years now, maybe more, but my elbow is killing me and it's a bit to powerful for me. i'm a all-courter, who plays mostly from the backcourt but does come in on my first serve pretty reguraly ,and i play a lot of doubles. anyways, i'm looking for a good stretch semi-players racket because i'll customize it anyway. Here's what i've looked at so far.
1. Babolat pure control mp +, it was ok but maybe not for me
2. Volkl Tour 8 or volk tour 8 v-engine, never tried a volkl
3. ProKennex 7g or PK Heritage Type SX, tried Sx, felt like a Pure Drive to me, a little thinner beam though
Any suggestions about other sticks or comments on the one's i listed will be greatly appreciated, thanks
Rob

08-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Fischer Pro Extreme FT.....awesome control, excellent vibration damping and very solid feel. Listed as 27.4" long but measures less and plays regular-length IMO

Lilhac16
08-10-2004, 11:15 AM
I was in the same position. First I switched to Pure Control+, but it didn't feel that great. Stick with a wilson. I am currently using the Hyper Prostaff 6.1, but you may want to try the Ncode sixone.

comeon787
08-10-2004, 03:49 PM
yeah maybe the nSix-One with lead tape at the throat

Jeffrey Wang
08-10-2004, 05:49 PM
HS 5.0 is a very light racquet and lacking stability even with its near even balance. You are not the only one I heard having the elbow/shoulder problem. I have played racquets you are considering and might be able to give you some feedback:

1. Babolat PD+: Good power, spin and stability. It's not quite fit player with slower but fuller flat ball hitter like me. And it definitely has better control with faster swing. Volley is ok but not great. Spin serve is very good but flat serve lack power and weight. Most suitable for baseline basher.

2. Volkl Tour 8 V-Engine: Slightly more heavier than the PD+ with even better spin and power. Control is average and also prefer loop fast swing to get control. Spin serve is very good, flat serve has better weight than PD+. Volley is solid with good power but not stable enough against hard passing shot.

3. 7g has less power compare to the other 2 and maneuverability is the biggest problem for me. It make up on stability on the serve return and flat serve power. It's very comfortable even when mishit which good for your elbow pain. Volley is solid and good control but not quick on fast exchange. I actually like the 11g better. The 11g has similar power as 7g but even softer with better feel and spin. The same 27.5" long and flexible shaft to improve the control. Serve hard will be challenge though due to its flex. Once you nail it, the sensation is great. Spin serve is so so and need effort to bring it to the max. It's more manuverable than the 7g and the volley is much better for me.

The above comment is based on my 1-hand backhand, all court style with medium high swing and flatter strokes. Without knowing your strokes type, I can't suggest anything elso for your need. But those racquets in your list is good choice and have room to be customized. Hope this help.

Shane Reynolds
08-10-2004, 06:39 PM
The HPS 5.0 weighs 12 oz but is very, very stiff. I think you would like the NCode Six One 95.

David Pavlich
08-10-2004, 07:19 PM
If I were looking at a Volkl to fit your game, I'd pick the C10 Pro. Good weight, nice flex, good at the net.

Other choices would be the POG MP, LM Prestige Mid or MP or the Dunlop 200G.

David

robstar
08-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Ok i'll be a bit more specific, i'm looking for something with a slightly more open pattern, so i can get a little added top-spin. I'm a lefty and i have a semi-west fh and one handed backhand which i slice most of the time, and i have a big serve and do serve and volley on the first serve. I would say my game is like a very poor mans feliciano lopez. The thing is i'm so used to stretch frames i don't know if i could use a standard length. In regards to the n-code 95 how does it compare to the rok, i have hit with that one, and it was ok. i heard the n-95 was good for topspin, i mean that's one i might consider and some of the kennex and volks.

Rob
PS. i did hit with the babolat aero tour pro limited + today, worst racquet ever.

Veritas
08-10-2004, 07:41 PM
Yonex RDX 500

robstar
08-10-2004, 08:38 PM
ok two new racquets came into my mind today , the instinct xl and yonex mp-tour 5. Both seem like sticks i'd like, so i'll probably go with an extra long model, unless the n-code 95 is something really special.

Rob

stathis
08-11-2004, 03:05 AM
I played a game yesterday with Yonex tour and the racket produce a good amount of topspin but it's little light for me. I prefer heavier rackets. From 320 grams and up. I think you must give a chance to ncode 95.

Stathis

BLiND
08-11-2004, 05:13 AM
i.Prestige Stretch

robstar
08-12-2004, 06:10 PM
Well i ended up getting the n-code 95, it's a pretty sweet racket. However, i was wondering if anyone else thought it was a little unpredictable, once it hit the sweetspot. I had a couple forehands just fly on me like rockets. I got it slightly used for $130.00, and it came with lux alu rough in the mains and prince synth 16 in the crosses, which for me is a terrible combo, maybe the strings are the problem.

Rob