PDA

View Full Version : Please help a 3.5 find a new Racquet

BAB
08-10-2004, 11:07 AM
Mid 50 year old 3.5 male baseliner. Strong forehand and serve. Use a 2 handed backhand. Not much of a net game. Topspin on both sides. Used the Wilson 5.3 HH but found it very stiff over time. Currently using the Prince More Game 110. I need more control (less power) and to break strings less often. I think I need a "tweener"-- prefer oversize -- between 105 and 110 and something in the 10- 11 oz. range. I have tried my son's PD+ and find it somewhat erratic. That is my profile. Any suggestions/recommendations would be really appreciated.

Steve H.
08-10-2004, 12:16 PM
Have you tried the POG oversize? It's heavier than your range, but might be worth a look. If you want lighter, maybe the Ti.Radical OS (nice and flexible) or the Wilson H Tour OS (medium stiffness) could help with adding some control.

BAB
08-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Steve: thanks for your suggestions. My concern is simply that I still need a little extra pop from the racquet. The feedback on the LM Radical OS seems to indicate that the player provides all the power and must have fairly good and consistent strokes. I am almost at the "player racquet" level but I still need a little forgiveness in getting the sweetspot.. The nCode 6 may be a good choice but no one has seen it yet.

comeon787
08-10-2004, 01:00 PM
BAB

i think you might want to go with the Head Ti. Radical OS

its a very comfortable racquet

wao
08-10-2004, 01:07 PM
BAB,
I would also say the TI or I rad O/S and possibly the new LM Instinct Tour XL. It's 11.5 oz but 10 pts HL. I just got the demo and had the time to hit with it for 30 minutes last evening. Plays well from the back court. I have a 2hd bh and a western fh. I will hit more later in the week.

BAB
08-10-2004, 01:15 PM
I am new to the Board and this is really very helpful. I will take a serious look at the Radical and the Instinct. I have not used a head racquet since the days of Arthur Ashe (shows my age). I have a semiwestern/eastern forehand grip. Does the Head grip work well and do they run true to size? BTW- I do like a 27.5 inch racquet.

wao
08-10-2004, 01:28 PM
BAB, Welcome to the board. I also value the suggestions from all who respond to the questions. The Radical is a std length stick and the LM Instinct Tour XL is 27.5. As far as the grips, I like the rectangular shape of a Head racquet.
Wayne

BAB
08-10-2004, 01:31 PM
WAO: thanks. I love tennis and this is the next best thing to being on the court.

BAB
08-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Has anyone tried it? Is this a little more powerful version of the Instinct?

wao
08-10-2004, 01:59 PM
BAB, If you are talking about the Instinct Tour XL it is a different stick than the std. The obvious is the 27 vs 27.5 and the string patters 18X19 std vs 16X19 XL. The XL for the 30 minutes I hit with it last night played very nice

BAB
08-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Actually, I was trying to find out if you are familiar with the Head LM 2. Any thoughts?

comeon787
08-10-2004, 02:44 PM
i think head racquets run just a little bit smaller maybe 1/8 inch smaller so if you use a 4 and 3/8 for wilson, it'd be okay to go with the 4 and 3/8 for head also.

K. Wilson Moose
08-10-2004, 03:23 PM
BAB,

Give the Laver SX a demo. It is 100si, 27.5 in length, and 11.4 oz. It has a nice blend of power and control, serves well, is excellent for two handers, and your volleys just might improve.

newbie123
08-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Demo the Ti.Radical OS -- it has the best combo of everything

Cheap, nice paintjob, good feel, large sweetspot and frame(my framed shots often go in!), very good blend of power and control --- if you need power or need to take away power, you can always change your strings.

Shane Reynolds
08-10-2004, 05:33 PM
You might like the Fischer Pro Impact FT or GDS Rally FT. The Instinct (both versions) should be to your liking. You also might want to take a look at the Yonex MP Tour 1 XF.

Steve H.
08-10-2004, 06:28 PM
I think that business about you have to "provide your own power" with a heavier racquet is a little misleading. Once you get a high-swingweight racquet moving it's actually more powerful than one with lower swingweight, and pretty much any oversize frame has plenty of power if you hit the ball solidly.

Maybe a good question would be: is my game more about stroking through the ball, or flicking it? You say that you hit with a lot of topspin, does that mean that you use a Western grip and pronate your forearm a lot? If so, a racquet with swingweight under 310 will allow you to generate more head speed and get more depth and spin in your shots. If your game is more about stroking through the ball, and you use an Eastern or semi-Western grip, a more substantial racquet with swingweight over 320, like the Ti. or LM Radical or even the POG, will have more momentum and transfer more energy to the ball. The Laver SX is kind of in the middle, and a very nice stick, I use the standard-length version myself (a 50+ 4.0 on a good day) -- it's mobile but very solid, especially on volleys and serves.

Don't think that because you're an intermediate player you can't use a heavier frame with success -- there are a lot of exceptions to that "rule" -- I know a 70+ grandmother who swears by her 13.5 ounce Sting oversize, and won't use anything else!

One other thing for us older guys to watch out for is hurting ourselves -- a frame that is too stiff or head-heavy will transmit more torque and shock to the wrist and elbow. If you never hit hard that isn't such a problem, but if you like to take a big cut occasionally (and sometimes miss the sweetspot) then it's wise to err on the side of flex and a head-light balance.

BAB
08-10-2004, 07:46 PM
I think I can say that I do take pretty full strokes and sometimes a real rip. Wrist flicks only on the run to keep the ball in play. I think a heavier stick will work-- I learned on the Head XRC in the 70's and it weighed a ton. As for being in my mid 50's. I still play singles almost exclusively and am in pretty good shape. My only fear is elbow problems which I encountered a few years ago with a Head S.5. I do not want a repeat. Thanks for your thoughts and feel free to keep the suggestions coming.

BLiND
08-11-2004, 02:22 AM
BAB, I have used the LM Radical OS, and found it to be very powerful... so give it a try. Also the LM Instinct sounds like something to look at.

BLiND
08-11-2004, 02:22 AM
Also try the Yonex V-Con 15, or 17 (100")... great for spin, and stable for light rackets.

BAB
08-11-2004, 07:05 AM
there definitely seems to be support for the LM Radical OS. I think I will check it out. To get the power level up, what suggestions do you have about stringing?

Steve H.
08-11-2004, 08:06 AM
From how you describe yourself and your game, I wouldn't worry about not getting enough power from the LM Radical. Its large head, near-even balance and substantial swingweight mean that you will get good depth with an easy swing and it will reward a faster swing with more topspin and pace. Maybe start with a good synthetic gut or multi at midrange (59-60) and take it from there. You can always drop the tension for more power, but that will make it trampoline more too. Good luck with it!