PDA

View Full Version : bollettieri's worth it?

ceruleance
11-06-2006, 12:14 PM
I'm going to be in Bradenton for the holidays so I was wondering if it was worth spending a day at bollettieri's tennis camp? I am a 5.0 player in my 20's and would be going for serious instruction as opposed to some sort of tennis resort experience. Has anyone been there? Are the instructors any better than you would find at your local large respectable club? Is there much personal instruction or just a lot of drills, etc.?

Thanks!

power_play21
11-06-2006, 12:19 PM
I'm going to be in Bradenton for the holidays so I was wondering if it was worth spending a day at bollettieri's tennis camp? I am a 5.0 player in my 20's and would be going for serious instruction as opposed to some sort of tennis resort experience. Has anyone been there? Are the instructors any better than you would find at your local large respectable club? Is there much personal instruction or just a lot of drills, etc.?

Thanks!

ive been there a couple times. and what i can tell you is to be realistic. youre not going to accomplish much in one day, given itll be a nice day, its a nice place and there are good people there, pros and players, if youre looking for serious instruction and not the resort experience, expect to spend at least a full summer there.

and again, for a one day ordeal, it doesnt really matter if their instructors are better then your average local club or not, b/c youre not gonna be getting much from them anyways.

ceruleance
11-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the reply; I must have forgotten to put that caveat in my original message, yes of course I am not expecting a day of instruction to raise my game to another level or something ridiculous like that.

I do believe a day of instruction could be helpful though and not completely worthless, so I am wondering if in a day will you actually get the personal attention to have someone experienced take a look at your swing mechanics and let you know if he/she see something you could improve on, and doesn't just say thing like, "try and hit deeper on your approaches".. (it sounds like no)

In this aspect I think an experienced instructor may be better than your average club pro in the ability to recognize and correct. I have friends who have spent a weekend and passed the USPTR exam but I doubt they are really qualified to improve my game at all.

But anyways, I think from the gist of your message you are saying you don't think I am going to get much out of a day and so it may not be worth my time at all, which is what I have been trying to figure out in the first place.

DRtenniS1112
11-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Anyone know the price of spending the summer there???

power_play21
11-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Well, Im not saying its totally not worth it, what im really trying to say is its not really worth it just for the tennis aspect. But on the other hand, spending a day there you will be able to watch how the people that actually board there live, and play, and work and etc, youll get a feel for the environment, youll get to talk to the pros and youll get some feedback on your game as well. when you put all that together, it is worth spending a day there.

Geezer Guy
11-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I don't know what the cost is, but if it's reasonable I'd do it. It would hopefully be a good experience, and if you really liked it you could go back some other time for a week. If you didn't like it, you try somewhere else.

And, you know it's gotta be more fun that sitting around at your folks house or with the in-laws.

FiveO
11-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Given the choice I would invest my money in good private lessons. I would envision that the Bollitieri experience would be groups and drills and would be better suited for a quick intense training for some upcoming NTRP or age group competition one may have in mind.

In Bradenton you should be able to pick up some great hits on your own for the same kind of workouts but there are also alot of excellent, "lesser name" instructors that could potentially give you some stroke and/or match play instruction for the same or less money which may have even more of an impact.

Rafa's best friend
11-07-2006, 01:34 PM
He will and can teach you that Rocket serve. he said your racket will make sonic boom sound when he is thru teaching you his technique on how to hit a big sonic rocket serve.......