PDA

View Full Version : What is a good string machine for beginners?

DarkSlayerX
11-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Hey everyone, i want to string my own racquet now because the cost of someone else stringing my racquets is pretty expensive so i decided to string it myself. So anyone know a string machine that is good for beginners? Thank you

P.S. Also is there a book or Step by step instructions on how to string a racquet?

DRtenniS1112
11-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Whats your price range? Do you know if you want electronic, crank, or drop weight tensioning? Any brand preference?

DarkSlayerX
11-06-2006, 04:48 PM
Whats your price range? Do you know if you want electronic, crank, or drop weight tensioning? Any brand preference?

My price range is under $200 but i really don't know what kind of stringing machine would be good? I'm new to the stringing machines

DRtenniS1112
11-06-2006, 04:50 PM
My price range is under $200 but i really don't know what kind of stringing machine would be good? I'm new to the stringing machines
For that price you are definately looking at table top drop weights as a majority. I learned on an ATS traveller and though it isn't the best, it was cheap and reliable. In fact the only problem that I had with it was that it rocked a little when moving the racket around. If you do not like that there is a kid on my team with a Klippermate and he loves it.

DarkSlayerX
11-06-2006, 04:53 PM
For that price you are definately looking at table top drop weights as a majority. I learned on an ATS traveller and though it isn't the best, it was cheap and reliable. In fact the only problem that I had with it was that it rocked a little when moving the racket around. If you do not like that there is a kid on my team with a Klippermate and he loves it.

I have heard of klippermate before but never knew how good it was. What kind of klippermate is it, like the model? By the way Thank you for helping me with this!

DRtenniS1112
11-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Try checking out stringforum.net to do some research. His Klippermate is the basic one, I think it is just called Klippermate racquet stringer actually. You could also check their website. They sell upgrades for it like a stand and carrying box and I think you can get fixed clamps.

DarkSlayerX
11-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Alright, Thank you so much!

DRtenniS1112
11-06-2006, 05:00 PM
No problem, any time!

tennisstringer23
11-06-2006, 05:03 PM
I think Klippermate is one that many of my friends had when they first started out. Some of them had them for years. Its no frills but very reliable.

CoconutGT
11-06-2006, 05:20 PM
I did quite a bit of research before I purchased my Silent Partner Swing last month. I've strung 7 racquets in the past 3 weeks with all types of string with it with no premature breakages (so far). I'm very satisfied with the SP swing for its price, quality, mechanism, and the free 660' syn gut reel.

Also check out their website for full videos of how to string one's racquet at w w w. s p t e n n i s . c o m

Thought I'd share my experience. Best of luck to you mate.

DarkSlayerX
11-06-2006, 05:47 PM
I did quite a bit of research before I purchased my Silent Partner Swing last month. I've strung 7 racquets in the past 3 weeks with all types of string with it with no premature breakages (so far). I'm very satisfied with the SP swing for its price, quality, mechanism, and the free 660' syn gut reel.

Also check out their website for full videos of how to string one's racquet at w w w. s p t e n n i s . c o m

Thought I'd share my experience. Best of luck to you mate.

Is it a electric, drop weight tensioning, etc.? and how much did it cost? I'm just curious but i decided to go with the klippermate because most beginners go for that. Thanks for your input though. :)

DarkSlayerX
11-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Oh I almost forgot, on the klippermate string machine, can you rotate the racquet 360 degrees while stringing it? thank you

DRtenniS1112
11-06-2006, 06:21 PM
yes you can

aussie
11-06-2006, 06:47 PM
yes you can

Sorry, no you can't. The gripper jaws on the Klippermate will not let you rotate the racquet 360 degrees. I would imagine that most table top drop weights are the same. It is not a problem though, you just swing the racquet around to string the side the grommet is located on.

Very happy with my Klippermate - just strung a full poly job on a TT Scream last night and stringbed feels great. You'll learn how to string on either a K'mate, Swing or Gamma X-2 and wonder why you didn't do it years ago (as I did!!!)

theace21
11-06-2006, 08:59 PM
For under $200, I would check out the SP Swing.

SW Stringer
11-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Oh I almost forgot, on the klippermate string machine, can you rotate the racquet 360 degrees while stringing it? thank you

DRtenniS1112 says: "yes you can" , and aussie says

aussieQuote:
Originally Posted by DRtenniS1112
yes you can

Sorry, no you can't.

And the correct answer is: YES YOU CAN!!!

aussie: After clamping off, and before lifting the arm back to the resting position the string can be removed from the gripper by slightly lifting the arm, then supporting the tension arm with your hand lower it back to the horizontal position, the racquet can be rotated 360 to get the other side facing the gripper. Much like the Babolat sensor "lowers" the tension head for 360 degree rotation, you manually put the Klipper gripper head in it's lowest position so the racquet handle can clear the gripper head. Works on mine.

josephhkim
11-07-2006, 02:24 PM
I don't wanna flame, but you should at least research a little bit.

These questions are asked millions of times and by the sounds of it, you've done very little research on your own.

Anyways, a good quality dropweight from Gamma, Silent Partner, ALpha, or Klippermate should be a choice.

If you plan to do more rackets, then a crank may be worth the extra money.

Try to get a dropweight with a clutch, it'll make stringing faster and less tedious.

ironicqueery
11-09-2006, 10:48 AM
I just got a Gamma x-2. I had no prior stringing experience. It's an easy machine to set up, and use. It comes with 2 booklets showing how to string, and when I purchased it from ATS sports...also came with a ton of free gamma string...$100 worth. The machine itself was only $135, so great bargain. And regular shipping was quicker than I expected. Less than a week!!

It took me several hours to string my first racket, but once you get the hang of it, the process moves quicker.

I think the machine has a 5 yr warranty, and everything included is a breeze to use. I highly recommend this as a beginner's setup.

woody6.1
11-14-2006, 06:39 PM
i'm a beginner at stringing and the alpha pioneer dc has been nothing but good to me. ALso from other threads it seems to be a pretty solid and long lasting machine. Highly recommended.

Redflea
11-14-2006, 07:24 PM
i'm a beginner at stringing and the alpha pioneer dc has been nothing but good to me. ALso from other threads it seems to be a pretty solid and long lasting machine. Highly recommended.

Me too...I'm a newbie to stringing and just got an Alpha Pioneer DC Plus after some careful consideration and really love it. Great machine, great support from Alpha, and by my second racquet I was teaching my son how to do it. The Alpha has the same 6 point mounts, turntable, and clamps of their higher-end Revo 4000 model, and also uses a linear string gripper, which is evidently uncommon (unique?) in drop-weights.

Highly recommended...detailed thread here w/many pictures.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=104946

DRtenniS1112
11-14-2006, 07:31 PM
DRtenniS1112 says: "yes you can" , and aussie says

aussieQuote:
Originally Posted by DRtenniS1112
yes you can

Sorry, no you can't.

And the correct answer is: YES YOU CAN!!!

aussie: After clamping off, and before lifting the arm back to the resting position the string can be removed from the gripper by slightly lifting the arm, then supporting the tension arm with your hand lower it back to the horizontal position, the racquet can be rotated 360 to get the other side facing the gripper. Much like the Babolat sensor "lowers" the tension head for 360 degree rotation, you manually put the Klipper gripper head in it's lowest position so the racquet handle can clear the gripper head. Works on mine.

Are you by any chance available if I ever need an attorney. LOL JK thanks though. I just saw that and couldnt believe it, as I would never give out faulty information (at least not on purpose).