PDA

View Full Version : Knee Injuries

Lindsay16
08-10-2004, 05:07 PM
I'm only 14 and in June I had surgery on my knee to repair my meniscus which i tore playing basketball. When they were doing the surgery they found that I also tore my ACL but they didn't fix that. I'm going to be off crutches hopefully next week. While I've been on them I've gotton really into tennis, I actually went to see the Roddick-Myrni match because I live in Cincinnati. I was just wondering if anyone might have done the same thing as me and if it hurts to play tennis or run or anything because I really want to start playing tennis but I'm afraid that my knee will give ot again or whatever. Oh yea, I'm getting some kind of brace to support it but all I know about it iis that it is 600 dollars.lol

couch
08-10-2004, 07:43 PM
Some people can play tennis and other sports okay with a torn ACL. Garrison Hearst won the Heisman with a torn ACL. Most people will have a lot of trouble. When I tore mine I tried playing tennis with a brace and just could not do it. My knee felt very unstable and weak. I felt I was going to do more damage to my knee if I didn't get it fixed. Long story short; I ended up having surgery six years ago and haven't missed a beat. I had the patella tendon surgery to repair it. It's the one that takes the longest to recover from but for a young person in good shape it might? be the best option because my doctor told me the graft is the best and lasts the longest. That was six years ago though.

I guess everyone is different but I know with my own experience I had to get mine fixed.

Good luck. You can e-mail me if you have any questions; I would be glad to help.

Lindsay16
08-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Thank you! Down the road I might have to get surgery but as of right now I'm just trying to strenghthen my leg at physical therapy and you never know, it may turn out to be just fine...we'll just have to wait and see! Thanks again -Lindsay