PDA

View Full Version : Question on Weight of Basic Machines

bmichaelia
11-07-2006, 04:25 AM
Am wanting to get a machine for home use, mainly on my own racquets. Because I'll have to store it in a closet when not in use, am concerned about the weight and "portability" of these. "Nothing But Tennis" told me the Revo 4000 is 78 lbs - seems pretty heavy. That's more machine than I'd probably get, but it got me wondering how heavy the simpler machines were. Examples are Alpha DC, Klippermate, Silent Partner.

Any info and experience will be greatly appreciated!

strcmp
11-07-2006, 05:26 AM
Am wanting to get a machine for home use, mainly on my own racquets. Because I'll have to store it in a closet when not in use, am concerned about the weight and "portability" of these. "Nothing But Tennis" told me the Revo 4000 is 78 lbs - seems pretty heavy. That's more machine than I'd probably get, but it got me wondering how heavy the simpler machines were. Examples are Alpha DC, Klippermate, Silent Partner.

Any info and experience will be greatly appreciated!

I have a Gamma x-2 dropweight.

Simple dropweight machines are like 25 lbs. (Don't quote me on this. Just what I think it weighs.) Pretty light, easy to move around. I bring it to my friend's house to string occasionally.

theace21
11-07-2006, 05:51 AM
They are heavy enough not to move much while string, but easy enough to put away. 78 pounds seems really heavy. My stand alone machine probably weighs 50 lbs. If an Alpha Revo was over 35 lbs I would be shocked. Email alpha and ask them...

varuscelli
11-07-2006, 09:23 AM
They are heavy enough not to move much while string, but easy enough to put away. 78 pounds seems really heavy. My stand alone machine probably weighs 50 lbs. If an Alpha Revo was over 35 lbs I would be shocked. Email alpha and ask them...

I saw a shipping weight on the Alpha Revo 4000 listed as 85 lbs on one of the sites where they are sold. Shipping weights are often rounded up (sometimes quite a bit), but I'd guess that even with packaging materials and included extras (tools, etc.) it wouldn't be nearly that high. It seems like in one of the thread I read here on TW that an owner of one had mentioned 45 lbs as the actual machine weight, but I'm not sure where I read that now.

Funny, that 85 lb listed shipping weight on the Revo 4000 is heavier than the combined shipping weight listed on the two boxes I received my Gamma 6004 in (somewhere around 80 lbs, shipping weight).

varuscelli
11-07-2006, 09:24 AM
"Nothing But Tennis" told me the Revo 4000 is 78 lbs - seems pretty heavy.

It's possible he was referring to shipping weight only and was . . . confused. ;)

varuscelli
11-07-2006, 09:37 AM
Also check out the New Tech Tennis site, since they are the internal distributor for Alpha stringing machines. I think New Tech Tennis is Alpha (or some kind of internal branch of Alpha).

They have just added (or re-added) the Revo 4000 to their site pages. They were not in stock for a short while and not listed there a couple of weeks ago, but have since been put on the site. They list the shipping weight as 75 lbs (and again, there will be quite a discrepancy between shipping and actual machine weights).

Redflea
11-07-2006, 12:20 PM
I just got a reply from Alpha...I love these guys, great support and responsiveness!

This is for the Pioneer DC dropweight:

The actual stringing machine weight is 43lbs, when adding the box, packing foam, etc, the shipping weight comes out to 49.4 lbs.

Then of course consider the racquet weight which normally avergage 10 ozs. Plus any extra tools you will add. The 43lbs, does include both clamps and the 3 stringing tools that accompany it.

So yes, these things are heavy... :)

Redflea
11-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Also check out the New Tech Tennis site, since they are the internal distributor for Alpha stringing machines. I think New Tech Tennis is Alpha (or some kind of internal branch of Alpha).

They have just added (or re-added) the Revo 4000 to their site pages. They were not in stock for a short while and not listed there a couple of weeks ago, but have since been put on the site. They list the shipping weight as 75 lbs (and again, there will be quite a discrepancy between shipping and actual machine weights).

Based on what Alpha told me about the Pioneer DC (packing weight about 10% of total shipping weight) seems like the Revo is probably somewhere around 65lbs.

varuscelli
11-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Based on what Alpha told me about the Pioneer DC (packing weight about 10% of total shipping weight) seems like the Revo is probably somewhere around 65lbs.

Wow, hefty. Moving that around might save an occasional trip to the gym. Still, the more weight, the more stable it'll be (as long as you don't mess up your back moving it around). Sure makes me think the permanent/rollable table is the way to go with these heavier tabletop models (at least, for those who have the room).

Redflea
11-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Yeah...I was always thinking mine would be store in a closet...but now I'm thinking more and more that I'm gonna need a table w/wheels, even if it's a very low table so I can be seated while I'm using it.

Haven't thought to ask that before...do you all stand up while stringing, or is sitting a viable option as well, as long as your machine supports 360 rotation?

strcmp
11-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Yeah...I was always thinking mine would be store in a closet...but now I'm thinking more and more that I'm gonna need a table w/wheels, even if it's a very low table so I can be seated while I'm using it.

Haven't thought to ask that before...do you all stand up while stringing, or is sitting a viable option as well, as long as your machine supports 360 rotation?

I have a simple dropweight.. I prefer standing up. Never tried sitting down while doing it, but i'd imagine i'd be a lot slower.

bmichaelia
11-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Redflea - Let me know how you like your Apha DC when you get it. I decided I'm going to ask for one for Christmas. Great gift idea for my wife huh?

Whenever I see pictures of someone stringing, or videos, they're always standing. If you get the machine to the right height, it's always going to be better ergonomically to stand, cause you have to move around too. If you stayed sitting, you'd have to be bending over sometimes - hard on your back and shoulders.

dancraig
11-09-2006, 05:01 PM

Redflea
11-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Redflea - Let me know how you like your Apha DC when you get it. I decided I'm going to ask for one for Christmas. Great gift idea for my wife huh?

It arrived today, and is really great looking. Haven't used it yet, but dammit, it looks sharp and is incredibly solid. I mounted a racquet to see how that went, and it is easy and the racquet is held very solidly. Feels like it's going to be a great machine to use.

I'll post more after I complete my first string job...

varuscelli
11-09-2006, 08:18 PM

All right, I have to ask. Can someone clue me in about dancraig's comments?

Why does he so often make a comment within a thread, then come back and delete the entire thing? What is it I haven't figured out about his approach to posting? I'm truly puzzled.

:confused:

Redflea
11-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Shyness? :)

ryohazuki222
11-09-2006, 09:24 PM
"The Revo weight is about 75lbs.."

That is the response I received from Greg at Alpha. First I emailed asking if they made a stand for the Revo... he said they did not. I e-mailed asking the weight of the machine so that I can buy a cart/table that can support said weight... and that was his response. I mean... the thing is surprisingly heavy...

The shipping weight on the box of my Gamma X-2 was 25 lbs.

The shipped weight of an older Alpha Pioneer FL (green colored model) was just a tad under 40 lbs. (This one is basically a simple drop-weight, floating clamps... but 6 point mounting.)

I used to just move my Gamma X-2 onto my kitchen counter and string... it wasn't cumbersome at all... pretty light.

I only used the Alpha Pioneer FL once... i did the same thing... but it was much more cumbersome (still not a lot of hassle though.)

At first I tried to do that with my Revo 4000... but it was way too high... and it was pretty difficult to get it up there in the first place. For the next several stringings I moved it from the floor onto a coffe table edge (surprised the table could handle it...) But it was too low... and even though I had a couch right there... it was too akward stringing sitting on the couch.

Currently, I just slide/drag/slightly lift the Revo into a more open space on the ground and string while sitting on the floor. I'm actually on my knees when stringing the mains, and then after starting the crosses i sit down next to the stringer... I found that at this level, it's much easier for me to thread the crosses... pretty weird since I'm not much of a floor-sitter...lol. It's the best solution I have so far and it takes me about 40 mins per racket give or take, depending how familiar I am with the racket.

I AM looking to turn it into an upright machine with wheels however (ever since seeing the post someone had of the castering wheels on their upright.) I bought wheels for my Revo... thinking I'd just add them to the bottom, so I could just roll it across the floor (I tend to be really lazy about putting it back where it belongs since it's a hassle to move right now....) I got one wheel on... but then found out that I was unable to unscrew the other little peg things the Revo uses as "legs." So I gave up on that idea for now... been busy with school and all.

I'm hoping for some good ideas coming from that topic that was started about this subject! Looking through the new ikea catalog... I saw some pretty cool things that might work... but Ikea things tend to be smaller... while I'm taller (6'3"ish) so I'd have to wait for the new ikea in my area to open up before I look into that plan further.

Redflea
11-09-2006, 11:48 PM

Tell your wife to get the check ready... :)

Posted a thread w/my out of box experience w/the Alpha...vicarious experience for you, and you can show your wife how cool it will be!

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=104946

varuscelli
11-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Shyness? :)

Maybe I'm just catching his posts at the wrong time. Sorry, dancraig. I was just curious. :)