PDA

View Full Version : shoulder pain

08-10-2004, 08:55 PM
While playing tennis i noticed a small pain in my shoulder. I didn't think much of it so i took a few days off and went back to the courts with no trouble but a week later the small pain grew and grew to the point where i decided to take about 3 weeks off. After two weeks i started light exercises geared towared the shoulder(mainly the scapular/rotocuff). I typically weight train,swim,and do yoga every week to try to keep injury free. When i decided to make a come back to tennis i was shocked; i didn't even serve and only used about 70% of my power on my shots playing for 1 hour and my shoulder still hurt after i played forcing me to take a week off again.
I'am not a person who likes to be grounded for long so i decided to run today. (ouch!) well now i no where the pain is located. I feel a sharp pain inbetween my shoulder and chest, close to the edge of my colar bone also. This is frustrating to say the least since i recently got over a wrist tendinitis injury and feel i was playing my best tennis. Seems i get injured every time i start to play good.(wrist tendinits,ankle tenditis/and tear,and know my shoulder) Anyway i vin gave me some advice under tips and instructions on a book but untill then anyone have any advice or thoughts to what it might be. Its on and off pain when not using my shoulder but when using it it turns into a sharp pain inbetween my shoulder,chest and colar bone. thanks

bcaz
08-11-2004, 12:37 AM
It may be the AC (acromioclavicular) joint, which is a tiny assembly of cartilage and ligament that connects your clavicle (collarbone) with your acromium (top of shoulder bone). I recently went through a couple of months of physical therapy and two cortisone shots and plenty of weight training and ice and anti-inflammatories more than two months of no tennis to get over it. Then again, I turned 50 seven months ago. You really should see a doctor. Mine referred me to an orthopedic surgeon who started treating me for tendinitis and a possible rotator cuff tear before finding the problem was centered in the AC, which I strained/sprained turning back big, fast, heavy, high serves with a chip/continental/weak forehand grip, fatigued, after four hours of play. Regardless, see a doctor. Your injury is unique to your body and deserves special attention.

08-11-2004, 10:24 AM
thanks. This pain started when my serve speed increased(about 15mph in 2 weeks). I didn't change my form i just was increasing my shoulder flexability through more stretching.