PDA

View Full Version : Prince TT Hornet

Gonzalez_Forehand
08-11-2004, 02:03 AM
Hi all,

Am currently looking for a lighter frame than my current PC+ and saw a Prince TT Hornet on sale at a very good price recently.

Has anyone here tried it out, and if so, what are your opinions?

I think I'd benefit from a lighter frame, I am lacking the arm-strength to make the most of my PC+! I'm a 4.5 or thereabouts, although the last time I played I was coming back from an injury and my level dropped considerably :x

I'm also considering demo-ing the PC Zylon360, PD, Head LM Radical OS, but I'm not sure how long th Hornet is going to stick around at that price!

hadoken
08-11-2004, 07:05 AM
I used a Hornet before. Good baseline racquet and boy could I crank my serve. Very fun, however miserable mobility. Very sluggish, especially on volleys and bad for guys like me who are lazy and don't set up timely. I've used Zylon 360 and iRad (similar to LM Rad OS I am sure). Thhere is a big step down in power to the IRad, but it has the best feel of the 3 racquets. The Zylon 360 is pretty good as well, and I think it's better balanced than a Hornet.

Gonzalez_Forehand
08-11-2004, 07:45 AM
Thanks for that, I went down the store today and they don't have a Hornet available for demo, but they had a PD, which I'll take for a hit tomorrow.

Being totally honest my footwork is lousy and I don't set up for my shots as well as I should, so perhaps I'll think twice about the Prince. Perhaps I should demo as many as I can and if none of them suit me I'll take a chance on the Prince.

netman
08-11-2004, 07:59 AM
Recently switched to the Tungsten Hornet MP from a much heavier racquet. Sharapova used a Hornet to win Wimbledon and Gambill still uses a Hornet OS. They both have MORE Attack paintjobs, but they are Hornets.

Agree that it is a good baseline and serving racquet. Control is very good and power is there when you need it. I've become a big fan of the Prince Sweetspot Suspension and the Hornet uses it to great effect. Disagree on the volleys though. I'm a S&V player and find it works quite well for volleys. Its very forgiving if you miss hit and the light weight makes it easier to manuveur. You give up some mass which takes some "stick" off, but good prep overcomes that issue.

That said, it did need some tweaking. I've added a little over 1/2 oz of weight to my Hornet MPs. They now weigh 10.8 oz and are 6 pts HL. Added weight at 3 and 9 and to the handle. This shift to a more head light balance helps the volleys and the added weight in the head firms up the frame quite a bit. The Tungsten Hornet makes a great customization platform. Good all court frame if you are looking for a lighter racquet.

AC
08-11-2004, 08:37 AM
As I understand it, there's an older version of the hornet and a newer one that came out around 2001 or so. The older version had a much higher swingweight than the newer ones, like 30 pts. higher. I think the 2001 MP version sw is about 318 and the older version was in the 340s. Obviously quite a difference.

netman
08-11-2004, 08:45 AM
You are right. The Tungsten Hornet is the all red one TW is selling now. It has the lower swingweight and is the one I'm talking about.

AC
08-11-2004, 09:44 AM
That's what is sounded like; and from all I've heard, the newer ones are pretty good all around frames. Prince probably did a smart thing in getting rid of some of that swingweight for the majority of users. Anyway, it sounded like a maybe a couple of the other posters in the thread had played with the previous hornet, which was indeed a clumsy weight I thought. At the net it could cause quite a mess. I haven't tried the newer one though.