PDA

View Full Version : new dunlops?

ttrebel
08-11-2004, 06:41 AM
i note there are a new series of dunlop raquets coming out .... not that i could make much sense of the website ..... as my skills in japanese language are fairly limited - http://tennis.dunlop.co.jp/whatsnew/whatsnew.html

does this mean the hm's are being superceded?

louisc
08-11-2004, 06:53 AM
great find. the rim tour looks good in blue and white. the heaviest seems to be 313g which is disappointing if that is how they arrive in europe/US.

GuyPerez
08-11-2004, 07:19 AM
Someone brought that site to our attention quite a while ago (months). Is it possible that it is an Asia-only thing?

Racketdesign
08-11-2004, 07:19 AM
Dont get excited guys. Dunlop Japan is a different company than the Dunlop Slazenger group. Dont expect to be able to get hold of the Japanese frames in the UK or US. Now that Sportsworld International owns DSG, you might not get very excited about new frames !

GuyPerez
08-11-2004, 07:24 AM
Sad, but true.

Racketdesign
08-11-2004, 07:32 AM
however.... keep your eyes open for a new brand.. from some ex Dunlop staff.....

SliceServe
08-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Dunlop should scrap their entire current line of racquets and start the new company with a fresh line up utilizing proven "injection molding" technology (ala Max 200g). They could start small (maybe 3 or 4 models as a test) and gain a niche market share. With all the harsh arm killing frames available today, they just might have success with some "softer" offerings. Yeah, I know the story about injection molding being too expensive of a process. Funny, that the Max 200g was produced late 1982 / early 1983 through the early 90's and didn't bankrupt the company. I guess Mac and Steffi helped sell lot's of racquets.

ttrebel
08-11-2004, 09:36 AM
i tried the hm 100g today ..... it was far from harsh on the arm ..... very comfortable indeed. it felt a little heavier and less manoeuvrable than the 200g 95 and a bit flexier in the throat

ttrebel
08-11-2004, 09:46 AM
'racketdesign' seems to be right about their being different .... i suppose if i had looked more carefully, i would have realised - the entire range is different.

racketdesign, you seem to have some sort of knowledge of dunlop .... i don't suppose you have the full specs for the 100g? i have not been able to find them anywhere? flex rating, weight, swingweight, how many points headlight etc etc

Racketdesign
08-11-2004, 10:10 AM
I guess you could say I have some information, I was their product design manager until June of this year. The 100g was developed mainly for the German market. The DSG US office decided not to carry this model. The specs are - w - 317 B- 310 SW- 293 and flex - 64. I believe it is dropped from the range this year.

Just to put the record straight slice serve, The Max 200g almost did make the company bankrupt. It was the start of the end for the company that has most recently been purchased by sportsworld International. Apart from being expensive, the Max 200g could only be made in a maximum headsize of around 80sq in. Not a huge target market for that these days

ttrebel
08-11-2004, 10:18 AM
thanks .... one thing ... i can't work in balance in those terms .... how many 'points' headlight does that work out at?

also .... do you have any information you can make public about this new company ... of which it sounds as if you have a part in

Racketdesign
08-11-2004, 10:26 AM
Its close to being even. True even balance would be 343. The specs that I gave you were for Unstrung. Add some string and the Balance will be around 330.... not sure what you guys call that ?

Regarding the new brand, Cant tell you too much at the moment but send me an email with you details and i'll make sure your included on some info soon.

SliceServe
08-11-2004, 10:27 AM
Some interesting comments racketdesign.

Dunlop was on the verge of bankrupcy for the approx. 10 years that the Max 200g was produced? Amazing.

Also, there was injection molded 800i produced by Dunlop (circa 1989 - 90) that had a 93 inch head size with a 16 main pattern. Same approx. size of a few popular players frames used in the modern game.

ttrebel
08-11-2004, 10:32 AM
thanks .... i've no idea how to convert that into how many points headlight that would be ...... perhaps 'you guys' (americans, presumably?) could help ... i'm english, too

Racketdesign
08-11-2004, 10:33 AM
Sorry, I didnt explain it well, Dunlop started having financial difficulty at the end of that 10 year period. Dwindling sales and increased production costs killed the Max 200g. Dunlop just couldnt compete with the rackets that the other brands were producing out of Taiwan. You are right about the 800i, there was also a 400i. Unfortunatly both these frames were doomed. From memory their RA was less than 40,and they suffered from breakages easily. The Nylon Carbon mix that produced the frames couldnt withstand the string tension over that size of head.

ttrebel
08-11-2004, 10:42 AM
there is one other thing ..... how do the 100g and the 'tour pro' (the red one) differ from one another ..... both in terms of playing with it and specs? i've only seen this available in germany

thomas martinez
08-11-2004, 10:43 AM
Yup, he's right. The 500 and 800is sold in the US were not the best in terms of breakages and suck. Just not a good racquet. It seemed that Dunlop had quite a bit of success with the original Revelation frames. Though the line got confusing when the brought out all the other various Revelation models. Customers just couldn't keep up. The Slazenger sister to the Revelation, the Mystique was a HELL of a racquet. In Europe, it was sold with a fan string pattern, and was called the Mystique something when they brought it in the US and had a teal cosmetic. Dunlop's a company I've always pulled for, shame that in the US, things have been so tough for them. It is amazing how many people are still playing their old ISIS frames these days though...

SliceServe
08-11-2004, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the clarification racketdesign.

I own examples of the 400i, 300i and the original early mold (tapered beam) Max 200g. I found them all to be extremely solid, well made, arm friendly frames and are all still very playable considering their age. If anything, I always felt they could take more abuse than their carbon graphite counterparts of the same time period. We used to joke around and call the Max 200g "The Tank" because of it's weight and how tough it seemed. Probably the biggest enemy of these frames was the fact that their owners and some uneducated stringers would often over string them above the recommended 55lb max tension. I was a full time stringer when these racquets were in their "heyday" and cut out many restring jobs that were between 65 - 70lbs. This was way over the max tension and often led to frame warpage / cupping and eventually breakage. I would often have customers sign release waivers if they requested tensions above 55lbs. Strung at the correct tension they could last a long time.

carlosrothstein
08-11-2004, 04:54 PM
ttrebel could you direct me to any one of that German sites??, plus I also tested today the 100G and I must say that is a very good frame, this is a WPS 6.0 85" in an 90" incarnation and also agree that it plays like a more civilized Head LM Prestige Mid.(recognizing that the HEAD Prestige was the Head answer to the 6.0 85" with it face been elongated at the bottom). I don't have any problem hitting with this frame , and I really consider this one better than the HM 200G, nice feel , nice control power on demand and exquisite touch also and that with not the best string you could find around.

thebeast
08-11-2004, 05:16 PM
i dont think they will bring the rim series to america in the new future. they have had different raquets in the rim series for awhile and i haven't seen any for sale in the US. They aren't bad racquets to hit with, but I wouldn't switch to one.

BreakPoint
08-11-2004, 09:34 PM
Hey RacketDesign,

Do you know what "GRAFIL" is? I have a purple and green Max 200G (I believe the last cosmetic iteration of that racquet), and on the shaft is says "GRAFIL" underneath the "200G" logo. I've always wondered what that was.

Also, was there ever any difference between the Max 200G and the Max 200G Pro models? All of my Max 200Gs were "Pro" models but I know they also sold a non-Pro model for around the same price.

BTW, do you think Dunlop or any other manufacturer will ever make another racquet using injection molding? Does Dunlop own patents on the process? If so, have they expired by now? I've always thought that it was the injection molding process that gave the Max 200G it's highly desirable and unique playing characteristics. I used it for 13 years and no other racquet I've used since could match it for vibration dampening. It was the quintessential "dead racquet". Everyone else just called it "a club".

Racketdesign
08-12-2004, 03:28 AM
Hi Breakpoint.

Grafil was just a term drempt up by the Dunlop Marketing department. It Stood for Graphite Filled... not the most original name ever.

From memory, because of the manufacturing process, only a small number of frames had 100% correct weight and balance. These were separated from the rest and marketed as Pro. The rest were still within tolerance, and marketed as regular.

see some of my other posts about why it would be difficult to make this kind of frame again. The closest Dunlop got was a racket called Integra or Absorber... these rackets had a separate bridge made from the same "grafil".. you should try and get a demo if you like the dead feel....

ttrebel
08-12-2004, 06:03 AM
http://www.sportshop.de/index.html?tennis_tennisschlaeger_dunlop.htm the dunlop tour pro mid ..... perhaps 'racquetdesign' could inform us of any differences in spec and playability between it and the 100g?

ttrebel
08-12-2004, 06:03 AM
http://www.sportshop.de/index.html?tennis_tennisschlaeger_dunlop.htm the dunlop tour pro mid ..... perhaps 'racquetdesign' could inform us of any differences in spec and playability between it and the 100g? :oops:

Crocodile
08-12-2004, 06:16 AM
Mizuno also made injection moulding frames with it's 8.9 and 9.2 racquets that were around in the mid 90's. They were made in Japan and were of solid construction.

max
08-12-2004, 06:19 AM
My sign-in name is Max, and I told my wife a while back to throw in the Dunlop Max 200 G in my casket when they bury me.

08-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Many thanks to whomever designed the MW200G.......this is one damn fine racquet with incredible impact feel, great vibration damping, cool graphics and perfect balance for players with solid strokes and a 1-handed BH. The HM200G can't hold a candle to it.

BreakPoint
08-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the reply, Racketdesign.

I'm glad I opted for the Pro models then. I remember that they looked identical except that one said "Max 200G Pro" on the right side of the V of the throat and one said just "Max 200G". The guy at the pro shop where I bought it was clueless and didn't know what, if any, difference were.

Mystery finally solved after 17+ years!!! :D

papasito
01-13-2006, 06:09 PM
I am so glad that I was pointed to this thread, because I have tried to find and share information about this amazing frame for years. That is why several days ago I posted a thread here that I named "Dunlop MAX 200G - THE BEST RACQUET EVER MADE". I just never found any other frame that could even come close to it. I have been playing tennis for 20 years now and I have played on a lot of tournaments, I mean thousands... I was a top junior in my country and at the age of 15 I already scored some victories against ATP ranked players at that time. I enjoyed tennis so much that I was playing all day long... Would you believe me if I told you that right then, at the age of 15, I switched my Dunlop MAX 200G and I lost my edge completely?! I mean, I just felt like I lost my talant in an instant... I switched to the Head Prestige Classic that was one of the best frames of the time, only to find out that it was absolutely no match for the MAX 200G. Until this moment (now I am 27) I have not found anything that is worth even comparing to the MAX 200G. All those years, I was struggling trying many different kinds of racquets, most of them top models for their manufacturers, but I was always disappointed. I can never enjoy tennis the way I did when I played with the MAX 200G and I can never feel the ball as good as I did then. There was a time when I did regret that I ever started using it, because I am now doomed to not be able to enjoy tennis the same way... Several people responded pretty harshly on my thread and tried to point out other racquets as being "better", but unfortunatelly, this does not help me in any way, because I have already tested those and realized that they wew not even close to the MAX 200G. I ended up playing with two Dunlop MAX 200G racquets that I bought used from Germany, even though I would preffer to have a frame with a bigger head these days. If only the executives from Dunlop or some other company can hear me and listen to me... And then build a new racquet that has contemporary shape, but possesses the characteristics of the MAX 200G, I would be the happiest man alive! I will personally buy at least 20 of these racquets and advertize them to all the people I see... Unfortunately, I read here that the injection moulding process cannot be used for the production of racquets that have head size bigger than about 80 square inches. Oh, I wish they could find some way to do it or, at least, combine materials and processes and come up with a stick that is at lease close to the MAX 200G... I don't know, I feel like a dreamer... Oh well, that's all I can do now, I guess.

sureshs
01-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Here is an automatic translation of the page (I have been having some fun with this stuff recently):

Diacluster Rim 1.0
22 mm beam 95 si 27 in

You adopt nylon rim manufacturing method and blade structure, succeeding the hold impression and the mild batted ball impression only of the pure rim.

The diamond carbon was adopted for the frame, control efficiency and rally efficiency improved substantially with rigid rise.

XXYEN 33,600(substance price XXYEN 32,000) * full length cover attaching

Color: Silver (product code: DR00512SV)
Material: Blade graphite, diamond carbon,
Nylon and glass
Average weight: 320g (only frame)
Grip size: 2 3
String: Warp 16 × weft 18
Recommendation tension: 45 - 55 pounds

MADE IN CHINA

Diacluster Rim 2.0/2.0+
21 mm beam 98 si 27 in

In addition to the popular heat converting design, adopting the diamond carbon for the frame.

It is thorough overtakes control and the power which the upper-class person seeks as,

Response and 喰 when it came and also the response and the feeling such as the impression finished in the upper-class person taste.

Color: Lead-lead (product code: DR00513RD/+=DR00514RD)
Material: Graphite and diamond carbon, nylon,
ダイポルギー®epoxy
Average weight: 310g (only frame)
Grip size: 2 3/+=1 2 3
String: Warp 16 × weft 19
Recommendation tension: 50 - 60 pounds

MADE IN CHINA

Diacluster Rim 4.0
24 mm beam 100 si 27.5 in

The heat converting design in the base, adopting the diamond carbon for the frame.

While guaranteeing the batted ball impression and the inclination cheapness which are superior, substantially it strengthened rally efficiency and control efficiency it is all round model which it is easy to handle.

Color: Blue (product code: DR00515BL)
Material: Graphite and diamond carbon, nylon,
ダイポルギー®epoxy
Average weight: 290g (only frame)
Grip size: 1 2 3
String: Warp 16 × weft 19
Recommendation tension: 50 - 60 pounds

MADE IN CHINA

papasito
01-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Racketdesign, was Dunlop Black MAX made using injection moulding? I see that its head size is bigger than the one of the MAX 200G... I also have a question about the MAX 500i... Was its frame as thick as the one of the MAX 200G? I saw a picture, but it wasn't taken from an angle that allowed me to see that... Do you by any chance know where I may find one or more than one of these? Was the weight the same? I also remember the MAX 800i and I know that its frame was thinner than the one of MAX 200G. I guess that is one reason why the frame was braking... What do you think?

PM_
01-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Thanks for bringing up this thread.
Great read.

But have you checked the dates of this thread? LOL
I think RacquetDesign has moved on to better patures.
:D :mrgreen:

SteveI
01-15-2006, 03:35 AM
Thanks for bringing up this thread.
Great read.

But have you checked the dates of this thread? LOL
I think RacquetDesign has moved on to better patures.
:D :mrgreen:

Hi,

Are you saying he was here only to help introduce the Vantage line of custom rackets? :-)

Regards,
Steve

Racketdesign
01-15-2006, 09:09 AM
I dont believe there was ever a BlackMAX made using the injection process. The 500i was a similar beam width to the 200g. I cant remember what the weight spec was. I also have no idea where you might find one these days. They weren't sold in big numbers - compared to the 200g.

Sorry I couldnt be more help !

The Pusher Terminator
01-15-2006, 09:20 AM
I heard from tennis the meance that Dunlop is going to cease selling racquets in the USA. I was force to incorectly spell meance as TW has blocked it. If you swith the the a and the n you in meance then you get the word that i was trying to spell.

zorg
02-22-2006, 10:29 PM
I wanted to buy the M-Fil 300. Is it "safe"? I don't want to buy this racket and then in 2 months for the company to be bankrupt, or for this racket to be stopped being sold. My goal is 2 years with this racket, will Dunlop make it for that long?

thejuice
02-22-2006, 10:31 PM
I wanted to buy the M-Fil 300. Is it "safe"? I don't want to buy this racket and then in 2 months for the company to be bankrupt, or for this racket to be stopped being sold. My goal is 2 years with this racket, will Dunlop make it for that long?

Mu suggestion would be to buy one in super condition for much less than what they are selling for brand new. If you are interested in finding one in excellent condition then e-mail me. juicemilton@yahoo.com