PDA

View Full Version : [Comfort] Volkl C10 Pro vs. Fischer Pro #1 330

andirez
08-11-2004, 07:35 AM
After reading through many threads on this board and asking for advise, I plan to go for either one of these. The most important selection criteria for me are comfort, comfort and comfort. I am convinced that both frames are more than adequate playing wise. The things is, I can learn to like a frame and its peculiarities, but I cannot teach it to be more comfortable.

- Fischer Pro Number 1, 330g
- Volkl C10 Pro

I would love to playtest these frames... but as usual, Volkl and Fischer dealers are nowhere to be seen where I live :(

BTW. I will be upgrading from a PK 5g (current setup at 12.8 oz) which has been kind to me, but sadly still not kind enough.

08-11-2004, 09:39 AM
Both have excellent vibration damping and are very arm-freindly. The major difference in feel between the two is that the Fischer is damp & 'crisp' whereas the Volkl is damp & 'muted'. IMHO the 330g Pro #1 is the benchmark for comfort & impact feel in the players' racquet category. If you like the Prestige Classic/PT280 you'll probably prefer the C10. If you like the MW200G/SRD Tour you'll probably love the Pro #1. Other big difference is that theC10 has a much more flexible upper hoop than the Pro #1, which is flexy only in the throat.

andirez
08-11-2004, 01:18 PM
Both have excellent vibration damping and are very arm-freindly. The major difference in feel between the two is that the Fischer is damp & 'crisp' whereas the Volkl is damp & 'muted'. IMHO the 330g Pro #1 is the benchmark for comfort & impact feel in the players' racquet category. If you like the Prestige Classic/PT280 you'll probably prefer the C10. If you like the MW200G/SRD Tour you'll probably love the Pro #1. Other big difference is that theC10 has a much more flexible upper hoop than the Pro #1, which is flexy only in the throat.

Thanks, this is actually really helpful. I have a couple of Ti-50s (the so called successors of the SRD Tour 95) and tried to like them for about a year, but somehow I couldn't. I always thought the reason for this was the combination of a flexible throat and stiff upper hoop. I also played with my friend's SRD Tour 90 and had the same feeling as with the Ti-50, although I understand why many people like it, it just not seemed the right racquet for me. Am I right to say that the 'crisp' feeling that you describe is the feedback that you get from the frame (under the form of vibration) when you are not hitting the sweetspot? I know every racquet has this, but for me it was really pronounced with my Ti-50s and honestly I did not like it. So by 'muted' do you mean that the Volkl offers less feedback on mis-hits but as a result is a bit less harsh due to lesser vibration? I have yet to hit with a Prestige Classic so I have a hard time understanding this muted feeling. Can you think of other frames which feel like this?

NoBadMojo
08-11-2004, 01:34 PM
oo7 had in pinned down re flex points...the c10 feels noodley in the head compared to the pro#1 which is stiffer in the hoop..the c10 also is prob a bit more headlight. dunno if you can find a 330gm pro#1 though unless you are outside of the states. they're both really great choices though i think especially from a comfort point of view...if i had to pick just based upon comfort i would give the nod to the c10..its not only flexy all over, but it has the handle w. the shock dampeners. wouldnt call the pro#1 a crisp feeling frame. i think perhaps the c10 also has the larger sweetspot so that may be a factor in you decisionmaking...as you know, mis-hits can cause lots of shock. i assume you have considered the string side of the equation. ed

andirez
08-11-2004, 01:59 PM
oo7 had in pinned down re flex points...the c10 feels noodley in the head compared to the pro#1 which is stiffer in the hoop..the c10 also is prob a bit more headlight. dunno if you can find a 330gm pro#1 though unless you are outside of the states. they're both really great choices though i think especially from a comfort point of view...if i had to pick just based upon comfort i would give the nod to the c10..its not only flexy all over, but it has the handle w. the shock dampeners. wouldnt call the pro#1 a crisp feeling frame. i think perhaps the c10 also has the larger sweetspot so that may be a factor in you decisionmaking...as you know, mis-hits can cause lots of shock. i assume you have considered the string side of the equation. ed

The pro #1 330 seems to be available where I live, not from my local retailer, but I found a webshop where I can order it without a prob. However, it seems more and more likely that I'll go for the C10 Pro. The shock damper handle and larger sweetspot sound very appealing.

BTW. I do have considered strings and am currently playing with Babolat VS Touch 1.30 mains and Supersense crosses to temper the gut a bit. A whole gut setup is a bit too powerful for me. I have not totally given up on my PK 5Gs just yet, but I do plan to order either the Fischer or the Volkl to compare and hope that it will be more comfortable.

Of the two frames, which one do you consider the least powerful? It would be great to have a very comfortable stick in combination with a rather low string tension to even enhance the level of comfort (so I'd prefer the low powered one). Judging from yours and 007 reply, it should be the Volkl due to its flexy upper hoop?

NoBadMojo
08-11-2004, 02:26 PM
i think so andirez.i would say the pro#1 is a bit more powerful, but the c10 has some sneaky power and hits a heavy ball i think..again, i think either one is a terrific choice. the pro#1 is kind of effortless power and the c10 was a little more like work (for me), but i was using the 320gm version. too bad you cant demo....are you out of range of the tw demo program? ed

andirez
08-11-2004, 05:54 PM
i think so andirez.i would say the pro#1 is a bit more powerful, but the c10 has some sneaky power and hits a heavy ball i think..again, i think either one is a terrific choice. the pro#1 is kind of effortless power and the c10 was a little more like work (for me), but i was using the 320gm version. too bad you cant demo....are you out of range of the tw demo program? ed

I live in Belgium, so I'm definitly out of range of the tw demo program :( Which does not mean that TW doesn't offer competitive prices for me, I'll definitly be looking into this once I have made up my mind. Testing however is really out of the question, both Fischer and Volkl are nowhere to be seen here (we only have Wilson, Prince, Dunlop, Head and Babolat in stores). I wish I could have the luxury of testing all these great frames from the TW demo program, that would make tennis life so much easier. In the end, I still think the C10 is the better choice for me, although I do like your remark about 'effortless power' when it comes down to the pro #1. There is nothing as tiresome as having to give 100% each time when you hit the ball.

andirez
08-12-2004, 02:11 AM
The TW site states the power level of the Volkl as "low-medium" and that of the Fischer as "low", I would have expected it to be the other way around. Also the Fischer seems one point more headlight ( 9 vs 8 ). This is for the 320 version though, the 330 is supposed to be a bit less headlight (balance points at 306mm for the 320g versus 308mm for the 330g).