PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha secret 06? Anyone knows about it?

Tenny
08-11-2004, 09:49 AM
Hi,

Yesterday, I went to our local public court and meet a old man selling his racquets (it was like selling a museum). One of them intrigued me enough so I paid $14.45. The racquet is Yamaha secret 06, probably 95 head size, made of carbon and kevlar, dark grey-sandpaper like cosmetics. Does anyone know about this stick? Thanks!

Tenny

Colpo
08-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Yamaha's No. 2 to the Secret 04. Addition of kevlar gave the frame a bit more flex than the 04, which was board-stiff. The 06, you'll find, is still plenty powerful and stiff -- good for flat strokers and strong serve and volleyers. Not a touch frame. 100 sq. in.

Tenny
08-11-2004, 12:10 PM
Thanks!

I had no idea if Yamaha makes tennis products. Bike, Piano, Synthesizer, guitar...and racquet too. Thanks for the information.

Tenny

Colpo
08-11-2004, 12:24 PM
Tenny, if I'd known that, I would've given you a bit more info. The Secret series dates back to about 1989. It was a real departure for Yamaha, because their tennis rackets throughout the '80s were generally lauded for their medium flex, good feel, and high quality. The Secrets were Yamaha's foray into the widebody era, with a consistent-width beam of about 25 mm. thickness. I recall my first hit with an 04, summer of '89 against a backboard: the power was incredible, the feel coming off the sweetspot was extremely responsive. Best for flat hits, though, unless you're a very physically strong topspinner who can whip that much bulk and stiffness around. In short, great frames -- you got a great deal.

If you play, I'd recommend restringing your 06 with a hybrid of natural gut/hi-end softer synthetic in the crosses, and a poly/aramid string in the mains, at about 63 lbs. The frame is so stiff, it forces the strings to bend a lot on impact to make up the difference, so a durability string in the mains is key.

Rabbit
08-11-2004, 01:14 PM
I can only echo Colpo's sentiments. The Secret was probably the best of the widebodies, IMO. I remember it looking the most normal of all the widebodies. I played with the ProStaff back then but almost made the switch a couple of times to this one.

Way before that, I played with a Yamaha YFG 55 which was black and yellow. I remember it had a head that was slightly smaller than a wood racket and whistled when you swung it. I broke three or four of those playing, but they were fine frames. Played great too.

netman
08-12-2004, 01:02 PM
Ah, reminiscing about the old Yamahas. My first Yamaha was the YCR-126 which I got in 1977 or 1978, can't remember exactly. It was a red and white composite frame built much like the snow skis of its time. I think it was supposed to compete against the Head Arthur Ashe frames. Very heavy, very flexible, 65" head and actually played really well compared to the wood racquets of the time. Extremely well made. I still have one in my collection, along with one of the YFG50 fiberglass beasts.

Tenny
08-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Colpo and other guys.

I appreciate your input! Thanks. The old man was selling many classical (old in other words) looking racquets. Some of them looked more modern. One was like a TT warrior (it has that double-frame+clear rubber or plastic in between which can be seen in Warrior). There were also some princes named CTS.

I can see myself 40 years older than now selling off my racquet collection-Wilson PS6.0 95, POG OS, 2 Ti radical OS, Surge5.1, Hammer6.2 OS and finally Yamaha secret06 for $15 to the youngsters wielding Pico-technologied-super-alloy-vapor-morphing-plastic racquets which change the weight from 5 oz to 15 oz on impact for milliseconds so that swing easy but hit with mass.
:D Thanks again,
Tenny

hadoken
08-13-2004, 11:01 PM
If you see a Prince CTS Approach "90" or "Mid-plus" in good condition, buy it. You'll easily get over $50 if you sell it on ****. That's another classic frame from the original widebody generation and very much still in demand today along with Wilson Profile 3.6

JohnThomas1
08-20-2004, 04:28 AM
A great old racquet, i still have the review in one of my old books somewhere. A pretty good pro actually used to use the 06 on tour, i'll think of his name later.

uk_skippy
08-20-2004, 04:35 AM
John thomas1

could the p;ayer you're thinking of be Ronald Agenor from Haiti?

I always thought he was a very stylish player ubt didn't do too much, made top 100 I think.

As for the 06, this is the only rqt I broke (Ashaway) Kevlar in. Back then I mixed it with Tecnofibre crosses

JohnThomas1
08-20-2004, 06:44 AM
No it wasn't Agenor tho i do remember him, not a bad player. Dan Goldie is coming solidly to mind now :)