PDA

View Full Version : Review of Eagnas 722e: From purchase to 1st racquet

OverHead
11-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Eagnas 722E (http://www.eagnas.com/fl722e.html) purchased off EEbbaayy.

Pros:

- You can string racquets with it.

Cons:

- Machine was defective upon arrival.
- Tension head is very inaccurate.
- A great deal of flex in the table when tensioning.
- Racquet moves no matter how tightly it is clamped.
- Holes in plastic cover drilled badly off-center, covering adjustment screws.
- Gripper jaws must be PERFECTLY adjusted or string slips.
- Difficult to get string into jaws when PERFECTLY adjusted.

Bottom line:

Do not buy this model. Made with cheap material and poor quality control. Would not recomend any Eagnas model with this table/mounting system or tensioner head. In fact I would not recomend any low end Eagnas model, judging by the poor quality of this one. Maybe higher priced models offer better quality, but then you are in the price range of other manufacters of proven quality. For what I paid (~$450us after taxes and customs) I would have been better off getting a drop weight with floating clamps from another company. Or better yet, spend the extra $100 and get fixed clamp model from Gamma or Alpha.

Detailed Review:

It starts out well

I was casually looking for a stringing machine, really just a toy to play with for me. I had money sitting in my Paypal account and saw this on EEbbaayy so I placed a low bid on a whim. Did not win the auction but received a second chance offer from the seller after the auction finished. It was about $100 less than on the Eagnas website. I had read up on stringing machines and Eagnas but thought what the heck and bought it.

Seller was very good, quick to communicate and helped with customs to lower declared price so I would pay a bit less in tax. Box came via UPS in 5 business days. I put it in the basement and left for the weekend.

Tuesday I unpacked the boxes, everything was there and in good condition. I assembled it in <15 minutes, not really reading the manual. Plugged in the tension head and it came to life. So far so good.

It takes a bad turn

I had not gotten a tension meter with the stringer (MISTAKE! Have one for when your machine arrives!) so I picked up a cheap 0-50 lb analog fish scale from Wal-Mart, just to ballpark the tension for now. Set head to 40 lbs and pulled. It went off the scale! Hmmm. Set to 30 lbs. Same thing!

There are pots in the front that you are supposed to adjust to make the readout agree with measured tension. I figured I would turn those down and maybe that would help. Well the holes drilled in the plastic cover were so badly off I had to enlarge them with a drill and unscrew the cover and force it over in order to get a screwdriver on the pots. They could not adjust the readout enough to get it anywhere near what the measured tension was, which did not surprise me given how far it was off.

So maybe it is the scale?? No idea. Returned the scale for another one, just in case. Actually, I bought 2 so I could put them in parallel and measure up to 100 lbs, again just to ballpark the head. No matter what I set the head to it pulled the same, upwards of 90 lbs!

Contacted the seller to say that I thought the head was defective and also to ask what the 'tension adjustment screw' on the side was for as there was no mention of its use in the manual. Seller says 'sorry for the inconvenience, ship head back to Eagnas (Maxline) for replacement. You can try to adjust that screw but it can render the head inoperative'. I assume I was to pay return shipping.

Again the hole in the plastic cover for the 'tensioner screw' was off, so I couldn't get the allen key on the screw. Besides, the phrase 'render inoperative' had me a bit worried so I decided to remove the cover completely to see what it was I was working on. To do so I had to unscrew a switch in the back, unplug connectors for one switch in the front and unsolder the wires to the other one.

With the cover off I could see what that tension adjustment screw did and I could see why the tensioner was pulling way too high. It was a bolt threaded into a lever that moved forward as tension was pulled. When it moved forward enough the head of the bolt hit a switch which stopped the motor from pulling. The arm of the switch was bent, allowing it to miss the head of the bolt, so it pulled until the switch jammed up against the lever. So it basically always pulled max tension!

I gently bent the switch back into place. I could now see that it was being activated by the head of the 'tension adjustment screw', so I knew it would now work. With the cover off, I took the opportunity to enlarge the holes on the cover so I could reach the adjustments with the cover on.

Put it back together, checked tension, and I now could get the tension in the ballpark. Problem solved!

All the above, with being away on weekends, trips to look for a scale, waiting for replies from seller, etc, had taken a full 13 days from time of delivery. In the meantime I had ordered a digital 0-120lbs scale from EEbbaayy.

Fast forward 2 days to Saturday, 2 weeks and 1 day from receipt of the stringing machine. I have the day to myself at home, time to practice stringing right? Wrong.

Another problem arrises

I still had not yet received the 0-120lb digital scale so I used the 2 analog 50 lb ones to get the tension set to what I figured was 58 lbs +-3 lbs. I would use an older racquet just to practice stringing and get a feel for the process. Right off I could see there was a problem with the rotational gripper (http://www.eagnas.com/maxgen1/hkehead.html).

When I was measuring tension, I had wrapped the string around once and put it into the jaws then tighened the jaws on the string. It didn't slip this way, but you have to use an allen key and loosen and tighten the jaws of the gripper.

If the gripper jaws were adjusted tight enough to hold the string without slipping, they were too close together to get the string in and out of the gripper. Loosen them so you can get the string in and out of the gripper, and then it will slip. There was no way one could string this way. The outer jaws of the gripper were badly machined so that they closed before the inner area that grips the string did. SOB! What a piece of junk.

Since I had already removed the cover, drilled holes, soldered wires, bent parts, why not get out the grinder. I removed the gripper and took it apart. I then used an angle grider to grind down the outer surfaces of the gripper jaws so that there was space between them when the inner string gripping area was touching.

Cleaned the parts and put it all back together. It now worked. Pulled and held nicely and you can get the string in and out of the gripper.

I string a racquet

Next day, day 17 after receipt, I strung a racquet with it. Stringing is easy! If you can eat breakfast without sticking a fork in your eye you can string a racquet.

I set it up to what was my best guess to be about 60lbs. Clamps work fine, bases are easy to move and lock in place. Gripper is ok (now) though sometimes it takes 4-5 seconds to rotate after flipping the switch. Table flexes noticably when you pull. I took it all apart and retightened everything with no improvement.

I can't get any racquet to mount solidly. It always has some wiggle in it no matter how tight it is.

120 lb digital scale came and I checked its calibration at work. I then checked the head and it's tension is all over the place. I adjusted it to read 58 lbs at a measured 58 lbs and then noted the offset at other settings. 55 pulls around 53 and 62 pulls close to 65! I have my chart with calibration beside the machine, so I know I can get close. Would be nice to be able to actually calibrate the head properly though and use the readout as is.

Conclusion:

This was not a big 'investment' for me. It was purchased for fun with money sitting idle in Paypal. Still, if I were not mechanicaly inclined, a bit adventurous, and willing to throw away the warranty it would have been quite a headache and very disappointing. I would hate for a student saving up money from a part time job to end up with this thing.

Cheap materials, poor workmanship, lack of quality control. Other models using the same table/mounting system (http://www.eagnas.com/maxgen1/fl2ms.html)would be a poor choice also. Maybe more expensive Eagnas models are of significantly better quality, but then you are in the range where you can buy from other manufacturers. So why would one take a chance on an Eagnas?

In the end I am stringing racquets with this machine. I think a lot of people who would have received it would right now be sitting here waiting for thier replacement head to arrive, and out of pocket the charge to ship it back.

I won't buy anything else from Eagnas. In my opinion quality is too poor for the price they ask.

kooguy
11-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Yep...U do need to be a little handy when using Eagnas's machine. I have the same kind of mounting system and I have to file one of holes to fit one components.

As for the flex issue, it is the turntable device design problem. It has a piece of threaded pipe which goes through the hole of the base. However, the gap is too big and hence will flex when subject to high tension pull during stringing process. I have modified mine such that there is like 1/31" gap between the turntable and the base to minimize the problem. I only used the suspension system to retrofit my old drop weight machine.

theace21
11-14-2006, 05:58 AM
Another strong recommendation to avoid this brand...Nice review of your stringer, glad you got it up and running...

Redflea
11-14-2006, 07:25 AM
What a great write-up of your experiences...thanks for all the details. It sounds like you've gone above and beyond what most of us mortals (or certainly I) would or could do to get things working...

Bottom line:

Do not buy this model. Made with cheap material and poor quality control. Would not recomend any Eagnas model with this table/mounting system or tensioner head. In fact I would not recomend any low end Eagnas model, judging by the poor quality of this one. Maybe higher priced models offer better quality, but then you are in the price range of other manufacters of proven quality. For what I paid (~$450us after taxes and customs) I would have been better off getting a drop weight with floating clamps from another company. Or better yet, spend the extra $100 and get fixed clamp model from Gamma or Alpha.

FYI...for $399 the Alpha Pioneer DC dropweight includes fixed clamps, 6pt mounting, and a linear gripper! (Proud papa speaking...) :)

Cheap materials, poor workmanship, lack of quality control. Other models using the same table/mounting system (http://www.eagnas.com/maxgen1/fl2ms.html)would be a poor choice also. Maybe more expensive Eagnas models are of significantly better quality, but then you are in the range where you can buy from other manufacturers. So why would one take a chance on an Eagnas?

In the end I am stringing racquets with this machine. I think a lot of people who would have received it would right now be sitting here waiting for thier replacement head to arrive, and out of pocket the charge to ship it back.

I won't buy anything else from Eagnas. In my opinion quality is too poor for the price they ask.

Glad you got things working for yourself, I would still be banging my head against the wall...

Your assessment of Eagnas matches up w/everything else I've read...which is unfortunate for Eagnas customers.

Kevo
11-15-2006, 10:50 AM
I think most of the cheaper electronic machines use line voltage to determine tension. As you've found, this only sort of works since line voltage varies based on load. As far as I know the higher end machines all use load cells with fairly tight tolerances and those are quite accurate.

fastdunn
11-17-2006, 02:27 PM
As for the flex issue, it is the turntable device design problem. It has a piece of threaded pipe which goes through the hole of the base. However, the gap is too big and hence will flex when subject to high tension pull during stringing process. I have modified mine such that there is like 1/31" gap between the turntable and the base to minimize the problem. I only used the suspension system to retrofit my old drop weight machine.

When you say "gap", did you mean the horizontal gap between turn table
plane and the base plane ? (or small gaps between threaded pipes?)

Thanks

SpaceCadet
05-20-2008, 06:52 AM
Ordered my machine on 4/4/2008 and it arrived on 4/14/2008. While it was en route, I came across Overhead's earlier review and started to sweat. Well, my fears were put to rest when the machine arrived. I highly recommend it! While it does have its rough spots, the Flex 722e is tough to beat from a $$$/performance/features standpoint. Takes me about 45 mins. to string a racquet with the Flex 722e .

Listed below are my comments (blue) based on Overhead's earlier review. Thanks!

Machine was defective upon arrival.
My machineís packaging looked a bit suspect. There was even box cutter left in it! However, all parts were there and I assembled the machine in approx. 20 min., and everything worked great! Tension head is very inaccurate.
Tested against a tension calibrator, tension head on my machine was pulling +4 lbs. Easily corrected per user manual. After calibrating, itís been spot-on each time. I opted for the LED readout on the tension head ($20 extra) A great deal of flex in the table when tensioning.
Didnít notice any ďflexĒ on the table. Looked real hard. Maybe my machine has a newer base (has 4 holes to mount on optional floor stand)?
Racquet moves no matter how tightly it is clamped.
Rock solid on mine. 6-point mounting works wonderfully. Easy on, easy off. Holes in plastic cover drilled badly off-center, covering adjustment screws.
Same here! This is where Eagnas needs to greatly improve the quality control. Luckily, I can get to the adjustment screws, albeit some finessing. Havenít messed with the cover. As long as I can get to the adjustment screws, Iím happy. Gripper jaws must be PERFECTLY adjusted or string slips.
No problem here, and Iím using 19g string (yep, the thinnest stuff around outside of badminton string). Gripper jaws work great! Difficult to get string into jaws when PERFECTLY adjusted.
N/A. Didnít have to mess with the gripper jaws.

Steve Huff
05-24-2008, 06:33 PM
One of the HS guys here got one a couple of years ago. You're right about the plastic cover. The holes on his looked as if they had been cut out with a kitchen knife. They weren't round, and the edges really looked as if they had been cut with a serated knife.

greenearcher
09-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Hello Everyone!

Would anyone compare the Flex 722e LED vs Flex 767e? If I were to buy between them, why buy the 767e which is USD200 more?

Your comments will be appreciated. :):):)

SpaceCadet
09-30-2009, 06:42 AM
Hello Everyone!

Would anyone compare the Flex 722e LED vs Flex 767e? If I were to buy between them, why buy the 767e which is USD200 more?

Your comments will be appreciated. :):):)

From the Eagnas site, I couldn't really see any difference that would warrant a $200 price difference. Flex 722e LED has the option of attaching to an optinal floor stand. From the looks of it, the 767e doesn't have that option. Might be best to call Eagnas and get the info from them.

LOVE my Flex 722e LED! Constant pull tension head + 6-point mounting + adjustable swivel clamps are the way to go! I may add the floor stand soon.

I added a starting clamp to my arsenal, and now my preferred stringing pattern is the 50-50. Don't have to deal with a long side, and I can now string a racquet in 30-45 mintues!

Hope this helps! :)

TennisCanada1
05-20-2014, 05:43 PM
10char10char

TennisCanada1
05-20-2014, 05:44 PM
10char10char