PDA

View Full Version : Things you're sick of being told

xtremerunnerars
11-13-2006, 04:04 PM
List some things related to tennis, school, fitness, or just life in general that you're sick of hearing from older people. I mean things that are said to you because you're still "a kid" or "a teenager" by adults.

Personally, i'm sick of being told by my parents that i should study. They don't really have a concept of what studying is now. It doesn't make me angry at them, but i wish i could get it through their heads!

thebosher
11-13-2006, 04:11 PM
I hate being told to study and to lift more.

Voltron
11-13-2006, 04:16 PM
I hate older people who are not coaches telling me to do things differently with my tennis.

raiden031
11-13-2006, 04:23 PM
I hate when pushers give me advice after they beat me.

thejackal
11-13-2006, 04:26 PM
I used to get people telling me to switch to a 2hbh a lot. Not anymore though...

Voltron
11-13-2006, 04:28 PM

That is really annoying, also when a pusher just lost to me he was bragging to his dad that he beat everyone but me and how well he was pushing.

eunjam
11-13-2006, 04:39 PM
unfortunately re: pushers that win...... tournament draws don't care about anything except the final score.

tennis_nerd22
11-13-2006, 04:56 PM
I hate being told that i need to work on my second serve (cuz i hate it, and i know i need to work on it :()

300Gkid
11-13-2006, 05:09 PM
I hate being told that i need to work on my second serve (cuz i hate it, and i know i need to work on it )

ditto, (starts muttering...stupid kick serve....just cut around the ball......)

Nextman916
11-13-2006, 05:13 PM
To close my racquet face, its not like i dont know this when i dump one lower than the netcord or spray one wildly over the fence.....its way too overused because it doesnt just apply to groundstrokes but to serve/volleys as well. :(
*SIGH* I hate that phrase....

xtremerunnerars
11-13-2006, 05:49 PM
The switching to two hander thing ****es me off too!

TheSnowMan
11-13-2006, 06:17 PM
I never really could understand how to hit a two hander... and why people like it so much. It really bothers me and I'm tired of hearing coaches make their students do a two hand backhand.

Another thing that I hate hearing is how heavy my racket is.. is 14 ounces too heavy for a junior?

tennis-skater
11-13-2006, 06:50 PM
swing faster, no **** sherlock im trying to swing faster but my body wont let me

thejackal
11-13-2006, 07:13 PM
I never really could understand how to hit a two hander... and why people like it so much. It really bothers me and I'm tired of hearing coaches make their students do a two hand backhand.

Another thing that I hate hearing is how heavy my racket is.. is 14 ounces too heavy for a junior?

My rackets are in the high 13oz range strung, but they're really head-light.

bleno567
11-13-2006, 07:15 PM
I hate being called stubbourn and a challenging student. Its not true at all. I do everything my coaches have ever asked me to do

nalbandian_fan
11-13-2006, 07:51 PM
I hate older people who are not coaches telling me to do things differently with my tennis.

god i know, especially my dad... whenever he tells me to do something differently with my tennis i just tell him to shut up and that i know way more about tennis than he does, then he argues that hes better than me and we go out and play a grudge match and i always beat him 6-0 6-0 6-0.

tonysk83
11-13-2006, 08:33 PM
I really dislike being told to be smart on the court. Coaches love saying this, but if you are smart on the court, you never need to be told this. Just play smart tennis, obviously, I always try to play smart.

Not related to what adults tell me, I really dislike when I play other kids with no social skills at all, that can hardly say the score without being embarrassed. And after the match they run to their parents side to talk to them. I hate when parents come to all their kids matches and kids feel like they need to impress their parents. My parents come to some of my matches to enjoy watching me play tennis, not to coach me, or analyze my match later with me.

looseswing
11-13-2006, 08:53 PM
I hate it when I go to a tennis match and play badly and my dad thinks I tanked. He actually does this whenever I play poorly.:mad:

goober
11-13-2006, 09:03 PM
***Old person alert***

This thread is pretty amusing and interesting. I wish you guys could save it and read it again 20 years from now :D

Duzza
11-14-2006, 02:13 AM
I hate being told that i need to work on my second serve (cuz i hate it, and i know i need to work on it :()

Probably coz you suck :p. What's with the Flexpoint 4?????

cptobvious_619
11-14-2006, 11:00 AM
i dislike the fact that they are always saying that juniors these days can't volley. i've seen plenty of kids come to net at tournaments that i've joined.

they also say that kids all have two-handers, but i've seen a HANDFUL of one-handers, mostly girls, young, too.

the junior game really isn't that one dimensional.

JRProstaf9
11-14-2006, 11:07 AM
i dislike the fact that they are always saying that juniors these days can't volley. i've seen plenty of kids come to net at tournaments that i've joined.

they also say that kids all have two-handers, but i've seen a HANDFUL of one-handers, mostly girls, young, too.

the junior game really isn't that one dimensional.

You also don't see alot of juniors playing well on clay... but its definitly somthing thats being addressed now by the USTA player development.
Before the mantra of the game was to teach big hitting baseling games. But now with the success you see from Federer/Hennin/Mauresmo the game is truly starting to require an all court style that requires people to adopt alot of styles and combine them into one that best suits the player.

I'm sure with the new formation of the USTA National junior academy they are getting started in Fl you'll see alot more attention payed to an all around game.

Trinity TC
11-14-2006, 11:48 AM
***Old person alert***

This thread is pretty amusing and interesting. I wish you guys could save it and read it again 20 years from now :D
I'm waaay old and agree with everything these guys are saying. I quit coaching juniors because their parents just don't get it. It used to be fun being a kid but most adults I've run into are determined to suck the life out everything they're in contact with.

Hey guys, anybody over the age of 30 was probably the laziest slacker adolescent that walked the face of the earth. If they tell you differently...they're lying.:)

goober
11-14-2006, 12:16 PM
I'm waaay old and agree with everything these guys are saying. I quit coaching juniors because their parents just don't get it. It used to be fun being a kid but most adults I've run into are determined to suck the life out everything they're in contact with.

Hey guys, anybody over the age of 30 was probably the laziest slacker adolescent that walked the face of the earth. If they tell you differently...they're lying.:)

I don't have any kids that are old enough to be into competitive sports of any kind. I can't tell you how many adults I have met though that wished they were pushed harder in school or wish they had more opportunity in sports when they were younger.

Trinity TC
11-14-2006, 01:21 PM
I have met though that wished they were pushed harder in school or wish they had more opportunity in sports when they were younger.
Like I said, they just don't get it. Being pushed harder or having more opportunity doesn't necessarily lead to success or whatever they think they are trying to achieve. A lot or parents don't seem to realize that if they were pushed or pigeon-holed the way they push their kids...they would have run away from home at the first opportunity.:p

At the end of the day, what is really accomplished by pushing so hard? Would these same adults think they would have been any wealthier or maybe a professional athlete? There really isn't a direct correlation between effort and accomplishment. Life has many more facets and nuance than that.

jamumafa
11-14-2006, 02:12 PM
I hate being bombared with info during *one* session. I'm more of a progressional learner instead of "weight forward, this, that, this, that"

My brain gets crowded lol. I prefer to master one thing then move onto the next

goober
11-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Like I said, they just don't get it. Being pushed harder or having more opportunity doesn't necessarily lead to success or whatever they think they are trying to achieve. A lot or parents don't seem to realize that if they were pushed or pigeon-holed the way they push their kids...they would have run away from home at the first opportunity.:p

At the end of the day, what is really accomplished by pushing so hard? Would these same adults think they would have been any wealthier or maybe a professional athlete? There really isn't a direct correlation between effort and accomplishment. Life has many more facets and nuance than that.

There is definitely a line not to cross when bringing up your kids and I hope I never cross it. May be there isn't a direct correlation between accomplishment and effort, but if your effort is zero I am pretty sure your accomplishment is going to be close to zero. If you don't have the opportunity to do something than your chance of accomplishing it is zero. How many kids wish they could have played tennis, but their family didn't have the money or didn't emotionally support them? How many kids goof off in school and their parents really don't pay attention, drop out and become adults unable to get a decent job? Sure pushing too hard is bad too. There definitely has to be a balance.

Trinity TC
11-14-2006, 02:41 PM
On a scale of 1-10 my effort was a 6 (I could chill with the best of them and pull 1 out of 10s) on the average and maybe 8.5 when I was pouring it on.:p It's the people that expect a 10 outta 10 out of their kids all of the time that make me go....hmmmmm.:shock:

Swissv2
11-14-2006, 02:54 PM
I hate it when someone has to talk every single time even during a point.

I tell them to be quiet, and they say "ok, ok, I will be quiet" then once the point finishes they start babbling again.

Justin
11-14-2006, 04:09 PM
I hate it when my parents get mad at me for losing a match even though I tell them I played my best.

Starwind
11-14-2006, 04:41 PM
I hate how my dad sees me play like **** in practice because I don't care about it, and then tells me I need to work out. Because usually that weekend I'll beat a good player in a tournament and then everything is magically fine.

Kabob190
11-14-2006, 07:23 PM
i dont think parents should get mad at you at all when you lose. whenever i lose and my dad is watching he tells me the same thing, not really offensively but right after a loss you dont want to hear anything from anyone. he says that i went for too many winners blah blah blah too many doule faults blah blah blah

i get mad at him for trying to coach me after a loss then he gets mad at me for getting mad at him, lol. he leaves then i call him after the tournament, same story. he thinks he is helping but he doesnt even give me a chance to sit down after the match and think about it myself. he is right but he does it at the wrong time. after a loss i just want to sit down with a towel over my head and just analyze the match myself.

Duzza
11-14-2006, 07:25 PM
I think they should get mad when you get mad though. I have a friend who always throws his racquet around, and all his dad says is "come on mate don't do that"..

J-man
11-14-2006, 07:34 PM
I it when someone has to talk every single time even during a point.

I tell them to be quiet, and they say "ok, ok, I will be quiet" then once the point finishes they start babbling again.Lol I guess you'll be telling me to shut up

Kabob190
11-14-2006, 09:04 PM
I think they should get mad when you get mad though. I have a friend who always throws his racquet around, and all his dad says is "come on mate don't do that"..

ya they should get mad at that because thats temper, not skills. especially seeing it as parents are the ones that pay for the racquets. (usually)

EricW
11-15-2006, 01:07 PM
The parts about this thread bashing parents is annoying me... when your parents care enough to try and help you be a better player, buy you racquets, pay for lessons and drive you everywhere.. just shut the hell up about how much they annoy you when they TRY TO HELP YOU. Obviously no one wants to hear what they did wrong but maybe it'll help you, just deal with it

xtremerunnerars
11-15-2006, 02:27 PM
The parts about this thread bashing parents is annoying me... when your parents care enough to try and help you be a better player, buy you racquets, pay for lessons and drive you everywhere.. just shut the hell up about how much they annoy you when they TRY TO HELP YOU. Obviously no one wants to hear what they did wrong but maybe it'll help you, just deal with it

Doesn't it occur to you that the parents may be doing something wrong as well? Age doesn't make them infallible.

Janne
11-16-2006, 09:36 AM
Starting to get sick of people telling me not to learn how to play as an All-court player who Serve's and volleys alot. Almost everyone tells me to learn the baseliners game even when I keep telling them that I find it boring just standing at the baseline hitting the ball with topspin until someone nets the ball or launches it out.

xtremerunnerars
11-16-2006, 03:59 PM
Starting to get sick of people telling me not to learn how to play as an All-court player who Serve's and volleys alot. Almost everyone tells me to learn the baseliners game even when I keep telling them that I find it boring just standing at the baseline hitting the ball with topspin until someone nets the ball or launches it out.

AMEN! I try to play all court. I might even be leaning towards the s+v side.

thejackal
11-16-2006, 07:17 PM
My dad actually told me not to volley when I was little. I don't hold it against him though. My volleys were pretty awful for a while. Now they're still not terrific, but it gives me more options.

katastrof
11-16-2006, 07:40 PM
What annoys me?

"Man, you're sooo obsessed with tennis"

Thank you, now tell me something I don't know.

katastrof
11-16-2006, 07:41 PM
Hey, this is a "Junior League" Forum? Where did it come from all of a sudden?.. Anyway, I'm in no junior league, so I dismiss myself ;)

looseswing
11-17-2006, 09:20 PM
Hey, this is a "Junior League" Forum? Where did it come from all of a sudden?.. Anyway, I'm in no junior league, so I dismiss myself ;)

lol, they started these a couple of days ago I think...

Venetian
11-18-2006, 09:48 PM

Bad parenting should be bashed. I hope you don't have kids, because that was a pretty ignorant statement. As a parent myself, I am disgusted when I see other parents trying to live out their dreams through their children, being upset when they lose and so on. That's not "trying to help" at all. I think you should stop posting if this is the kind of garbage you're going to be contributing.

Breaker
11-19-2006, 11:00 AM
1.) On serves make front foot more perpendicular to the net.
2.) On serves change to a platform stance.
3.) Practicing with my dad being told to close my racquet face on forehand (hitting with western grip).

maynardsson55
11-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Bad parenting should be bashed. I hope you don't have kids, because that was a pretty ignorant statement. As a parent myself, I am disgusted when I see other parents trying to live out their dreams through their children, being upset when they lose and so on. That's not "trying to help" at all. I think you should stop posting if this is the kind of garbage you're going to be contributing.
right on mate. as a teacher, it makes me sick as parents push their kids too much. Even if they do know what they are talking about, the kids almost never completely listen to them. They are way more apt to listen to a coach. I really hate it when they talk to the kid during lessons.Parents see this as "caring" about their kids. If they cared they'd go away during the lesson. When you push a kid, and you are their parent, you mostly push them AWAY from liking the sport. So many see this type of "drill sergeant" parenting as disciplining their kids. This is supposed to be fun. Worry about your kids life, not just their forehands.

Zets147
11-19-2006, 11:32 AM
"you and your tennis..."

I LIKE TENNIS DAMMIT WHAT"S WRONG WITH THAT!?

LASVEGAS ACES
11-21-2006, 12:45 PM
When complaining to parents about excessive coaching, my father always says "Well, don't go Menendez on me".
Took a while to look up Lyle and Erik.

EricW
11-21-2006, 02:39 PM

What the hell is wrong with you? My dad plays tennis too, he doesnt get mad when I lose he just tries to help BECAUSE HE PLAYS TOO. Jeez. I'm extremely lucky that my dad plays and is very close to my skill level, and he has alot of stuff to contribute to me. He doesn't get in my face or yell out during my lessons, or even try to tell me to take them or not, he supports MY DECISIONS. Whatever MY DECISIONS are. If I didn't love tennis like I do, I wouldn't be posting on these forums, my dad keeps me playing because the most fun i have is playing tennis with him. God damnit, think before you type

Granted, I might be looking it on a different point of view, than other people posting, they have parents that push them and "try to live out their dreams through their children" but my father is living out his dream HIMSELF, and that's playing tennis and having fun with his son. Maybe I'm just lucky that my father is my skill level and we can learn from each other but you calling my father a bad parent and saying "i hope you dont have children" is going way too far.

I absolutely love playing tennis with my father, and I love tennis in general. My father supports me in tennis, I don't know how that can be "bad parenting".

EricW
11-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Doesn't it occur to you that the parents may be doing something wrong as well? Age doesn't make them infallible.

I guess but I meant more like "you didn't followthrough on that forehand" not like "that's the wrong way of serving! do it my way!"

Venetian
11-21-2006, 08:03 PM
What the hell is wrong with you? My dad plays tennis too, he doesnt get mad when I lose he just tries to help BECAUSE HE PLAYS TOO. Jeez. I'm extremely lucky that my dad plays and is very close to my skill level, and he has alot of stuff to contribute to me. He doesn't get in my face or yell out during my lessons, or even try to tell me to take them or not, he supports MY DECISIONS. Whatever MY DECISIONS are. If I didn't love tennis like I do, I wouldn't be posting on these forums, my dad keeps me playing because the most fun i have is playing tennis with him. God damnit, think before you type

Granted, I might be looking it on a different point of view, than other people posting, they have parents that push them and "try to live out their dreams through their children" but my father is living out his dream HIMSELF, and that's playing tennis and having fun with his son. Maybe I'm just lucky that my father is my skill level and we can learn from each other but you calling my father a bad parent and saying "i hope you dont have children" is going way too far.

I absolutely love playing tennis with my father, and I love tennis in general. My father supports me in tennis, I don't know how that can be "bad parenting".

Ummm you never even mentioned your father before. I'm glad you love your dad and all, but you were talking about parent bashing. I don't know why you just posted three huge paragraphs about how great your dad is.

People were posting about their parents being too pushy and involved in their tennis. You then accused them of "parent bashing", which I said was ignorant. Now for reason you post some random lengthy response about your own father. You also seem to think I attacked him in some way.

Also, I said that I hoped you did not have children because you obviously lack insight into what it means to raise them. I now see by your profile that you're only fifteen years old, so your lack of insight into parenting is obviously excusable, as you shouldn't be having children for awhile anyway. :)

EricW
11-22-2006, 03:44 AM
Ummm you never even mentioned your father before. I'm glad you love your dad and all, but you were talking about parent bashing. I don't know why you just posted three huge paragraphs about how great your dad is.

People were posting about their parents being too pushy and involved in their tennis. You then accused them of "parent bashing", which I said was ignorant. Now for reason you post some random lengthy response about your own father. You also seem to think I attacked him in some way.

Also, I said that I hoped you did not have children because you obviously lack insight into what it means to raise them. I now see by your profile that you're only fifteen years old, so your lack of insight into parenting is obviously excusable, as you shouldn't be having children for awhile anyway. :)

Bad parenting should be bashed.

I thought you meant my dads "bad parenting" should be bashed

I hope you don't have kids, because that was a pretty ignorant statement.

I took this as an insult..

I think you should stop posting if this is the kind of garbage you're going to be contributing.

Took this as an insult too.

It seemed like you were trying to tell me how my father is a terrible parent, it should be bashed, and I shouldn't have kids and to stop posting

It kinda ****ed me off so I informed you that my father is a good parent

Plus I don't "lack insight in how to raise a child" (atleast based on what i've said) All I said is if you parents buy you racquets, drive you everywhere to play, and pay for lessons, instead of pushing them away when they try to tell you something like your backhand is inconsistent, just take it. Instead of coming on some internet forum and complaining that your terrible parents are pushing you

CanadianChic
11-22-2006, 06:07 AM
I hate being told that there are bills due at the end of each month, and being told that I have to pay them!!! I hate that there is no time machine to take me back to when everything was done for me and my biggest complaint was that people tell me that I'm stubborn and I need to bend my knees more when I serve and to study. LOL Enjoy everything now and remember that as annoying as it is, people are really trying to help you. :) Peace~

Venetian
11-22-2006, 07:59 AM
I actually don't long for tennis as a kid. I love being an adult and deciding for myself when i play and dont play. And "how" I play. I never had parents that were very interested in tennis but I had plenty of annoying coaches and instructors.

4brotherdrive
11-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Well, I just hate it when i get coached during a match at all,whether from my parents,brothers or from my coach, i'd happily accept it afterwards though!!!!!!!

maverick1
11-22-2006, 06:38 PM
***Old person alert***

LOL. Ditto.

What I wish is that I had seen this thread six years ago. I had to learn the hard way. I confess my son had to go through practically everything these kids are complaining about in these threads. After that experience, I left my daughter alone, and she just finished her senior season in field hockey and made the all county team despite not having a fraction of the athletic ability of my son, who went to the 16U AAU basketball nationals, but could never get along with his high school coach and quit basketball at 17.

(sorry for the digression below, can't stop now)
I wondered how much I had to with that. I felt a little guilty, but less so now. There was another kid in my son's class. The two used to dominate in middle school, but once in high school, they were kept in JV even as sophomores, the other kid just moved to another school, while my son quit. I used to think that both kids had too much of an attitude problem, but a couple of years later, I was stunned to see that kid in the McDonald's All American team, and even more when he went straight to the NBA(Lakers) where he has been the youngest player for a year.
Now I am rooting for him to become the next Shaq or Kareem. Something good may result from my over-involvement in my son's sports after all - I may be able to get big $ for the videos of his middle school and JV games that I have collected :-)

oiler90
11-23-2006, 06:52 PM

Some day you'll learn that pushers have figured the game out, based on court geometry and nothing else.

Breaker
11-25-2006, 09:38 AM
LOL. Ditto.

What I wish is that I had seen this thread six years ago. I had to learn the hard way. I confess my son had to go through practically everything these kids are complaining about in these threads. After that experience, I left my daughter alone, and she just finished her senior season in field hockey and made the all county team despite not having a fraction of the athletic ability of my son, who went to the 16U AAU basketball nationals, but could never get along with his high school coach and quit basketball at 17.

I wondered how much I had to with that. I felt a little guilty, but less so now. There was another kid in my son's class. The two used to dominate in middle school, but once in high school, they were kept in JV even as sophomores, the other kid just moved to another school, while my son quit. I used to think that both kids had too much of an attitude problem, but a couple of years later, I was stunned to see that kid in the McDonald's All American team, and even more when he went straight to the NBA(Lakers) where he has been the youngest player for a year.
Now I am rooting for him to become the next Shaq or Kareem. Something good may result from my over-involvement in my son's sports after all - I may be able to get big $ for the videos of his middle school and JV games that I have collected :-)

Nice story maverick..I'm guessing your son's friend was Andrew Bynum?

goober
11-25-2006, 12:02 PM
LOL. Ditto.

If your son went to AAU nationals he should have been in line for a college scholarship. Kind of sad he threw that all away. My parents completely discouraged all sports and focused only on academics so I was on the opposite end of involvement as far as sports.

As a aside, it is strange how many coaches do not put the best players out there for ego or personality conflicts. Andrew Bynum was a beast in high school. How could you possible stick him on JV as a sophmore? How many athletic 7 footers are you ever going to come across as a high school coach?

Voltron
11-25-2006, 12:44 PM
AMEN! I try to play all court. I might even be leaning towards the s+v side.

So do I(minus the s+v), I'm now working on my net game.

xtremerunnerars
11-25-2006, 02:00 PM
This is becoming our world record thread :-p

I might go through this and make a list of all the things we hate and then send it to the adult forum!

xtremerunnerars
11-25-2006, 07:15 PM
I've got another one, and it's not bad:

I'm sick of being told to read more!

federer_nadal
11-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Seeing all of you guys saying how your parents get angry at you for losing is sort of funny to me becuase my mum is the exact opposite. Usually we sit down and talk about the match, what i did wrong, how i could do better. THe only tennis related thing she gets angry at me about is always talking about it and making her drive me to and from the courts every night. I am glad i have very understanding parents. ALthough i love my tennis so much i sort of wish i had parents that wanted to coach me. But from what i have seen is that you cannot have a parent that is understanding and that pushes you becuase the ones that push you usually are trying to live out their dreams through their children. Also only 3 months until i get my lisence so more tennis for me!

xtremerunnerars
11-25-2006, 08:42 PM
we're sort of in the same boat. My parents don't know a whole lot about tennis...so sometimes their advice isn't too great. They're supportive, but not too much. It's a good balance, i suppose.

I get my license in like 5.5 months, so the more tennis for me thing will have to wait a little.

Ronny
11-26-2006, 03:11 AM
What annoys me?

"Man, you're sooo obsessed with tennis"

Thank you, now tell me something I don't know.

i second that, everyone at school says i m obssessed with it just coz i m better than them, know about rackets and their technoligies etc....gee i really want to go punch those a**holes in the face:-D

Duzza
11-26-2006, 03:47 AM
i second that, everyone at school says i m obssessed with it just coz i m better than them, know about rackets and their technoligies etc....gee i really want to go punch those a**holes in the face:-D

I third that! My non-tennis friends always want me going to parties before tennis and I say nah I got tennis tomorrow morning and they just whinge non stop haha.

nViATi
11-26-2006, 06:56 AM
I'm sick of being called a pusher just because i'm consistent :twisted: :mrgreen:

xtremerunnerars
11-26-2006, 08:42 AM
I third that! My non-tennis friends always want me going to parties before tennis and I say nah I got tennis tomorrow morning and they just whinge non stop haha.

I don't want that to even start, so i chose to just not tell people i was playing tennis. Hell, play tennis the night of the party! It just makes things easier when people don't know where you are.

Voltron
11-26-2006, 08:56 AM
I'm tired of people telling me that they have no idea what string is in their racquets and that it makes "no difference at all".

looseswing
11-26-2006, 10:02 AM
I don't want that to even start, so i chose to just not tell people i was playing tennis. Hell, play tennis the night of the party! It just makes things easier when people don't know where you are.

It's even worse at my school, even with the kids who play tennis. They think if you play a lot of tennis you are a "tool." It is getting to the point were I just don't tell them were I am going, just like you do.

I also hate the fact that my parents do not believe that strings loose tension, so If I use a full poly set up I have to use it until it breaks!

Borat
11-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Common sensical suggestions from coaches that know less about tennis than you.

xtremerunnerars
11-26-2006, 10:46 AM
It's even worse at my school, even with the kids who play tennis. They think if you play a lot of tennis you are a "tool." It is getting to the point were I just don't tell them were I am going, just like you do.

I also hate the fact that my parents do not believe that strings loose tension, so If I use a full poly set up I have to use it until it breaks!

I wish there were a lot of kids who played tennis (well, preferrably) at my school. I'm kinda tired of playing with the same two kids and their friend who isn't too great all the time.

I can't imagine using a full poly set til it breaks every time! I broke some ashaway, and that took a lot of intended overhitting.

Duzza
11-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Well our school is really uncompetitive so I just have heaps of tennis mates from outside

looseswing
11-26-2006, 03:29 PM
We have some good kids at our school but they dislike playing tennis. They only play because they are good, so I just hit with my sister most of the time, although she is pretty good.

WhiteSox05CA
11-26-2006, 05:02 PM
I'm sick of being told to take a shower
________
Nexium settlements (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/nexium/)

J-man
11-26-2006, 05:53 PM
we're sort of in the same boat. My parents don't know a whole lot about tennis...so sometimes their advice isn't too great. They're supportive, but not too much. It's a good balance, i suppose.

I get my license in like 5.5 months, so the more tennis for me thing will have to wait a little.Same with my parent, my Mom. She doesn't know really anything about tennis but always is supportive from the sidelines and when I lose.

slice bh compliment
11-27-2006, 01:15 AM
When complaining to parents about excessive coaching, my father always says "Well, don't go Menendez on me".
Took a while to look up Lyle and Erik.

This post is either really funny or it is a cry for help.

Anyway, Menendez could play. I remember Lyle in juniors (ETA and nat'ls).

jamumafa
11-28-2006, 07:37 AM

I hate being told by my coach "Stop going to parties" When I arrive for sunday morning matches hungover and with 2 hours sleep.

xtremerunnerars
11-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Hey, at least you have a coach!

brayman9
12-08-2006, 03:31 PM
o no coach to bad

Tezuka Kunimitsu
12-09-2006, 07:01 AM
hmm I can not refer to tennis for this because my parents are not involved with my tennis. But I am a major bowler with a 215 average. About 4 years ago my mom would always correct me when I did something wrong in bowling... and YES I know when I do something wrong...but it is difficult to be perfect. She would listen to my coach and then just repeat my bad habit for about 3 weeks until it was fixed. I got to the point were I would through the ball in the gutter until she stopped nagging me. It worked...My mom stopped nagging at me and repeating my coach. I enjoy her coming to watch me now and love the support. I talk to her about my mistakes, why I did poorly, and she just reinforces me about what am I going to do different next time.

~Joe

ps. Parents need to stop nagging at their kids. Be there to support them and love them. Let the coach be the coach, especially if the parents does not know anything about the sport except from what the coach says. And if parents want to talk about the tournament to their kids, then bring it up in other ways. Do not be so blunt about what they did wrong. SUPPORT SUPPORT

Amone
12-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Heh... I hate it when coaches correct me on my open stance. I mean, obviously there is a reason for it, and obviously, if it weren't working I should change it, but my game's only been getting better since I started hitting heavy-spin, open-stance.

fishuuuuu
12-11-2006, 02:15 PM
I don't like being told to "take a little off" or "calm down."

Silentgunz
12-14-2006, 05:06 PM
I hate it when my coach stares at me and goes what did I tell you about your backhand. Stop using that one handed crap.

arky-tennis
12-15-2006, 10:19 AM
"Stay Positive"

spindrop
11-03-2008, 09:18 PM

wow...
my parents are like that too...
except with kevlar
which by the time it breaks(3-4 months) has like 2 lbs of tension left

scraps234
11-04-2008, 06:13 AM
^^ same here i hate that

Tofi
11-04-2008, 09:40 AM
List some things related to tennis, school, fitness, or just life in general that you're sick of hearing from older people. I mean things that are said to you because you're still "a kid" or "a teenager" by adults.

Personally, i'm sick of being told by my parents that i should study. They don't really have a concept of what studying is now. It doesn't make me angry at them, but i wish i could get it through their heads!

same also when my games teacher keeps on stoping us when we play tennis to repeat what he says to not bring the racket back early. he stops us every 5 mins. I'd love it if he'd shut up and leave us play singles and doubles for the whole lesson which is always an hour. Also thers this kid that said you cant play tennis like millions of times and this year 8 kid who thinks hes better than me at everything. it really gets on my nerves. im year 9. this kid who keeps bugging me saying i cant play actually probs cant play as good as me now. by next summer i hope to beable to show off my tennis skills. i kinda sucked at tennis this summer. i didnt suck to that extent because i kept beating my best friend untill the end of the academic year when i kept losing but my best mate beat this kid before so i think i can take him on. the year 8 kid is defo going down because i badly wanna beat him up he's getting so much on my nerves by saying things that just do. he's looking for a fight so i might help him to one tomorow.

rabidturtle
11-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Wow, this is rather amusing and eye opening subject.

I'm in my Junior in college now and one of the things that I regret was not taking more lessons as a kid. My dad was said to me "If you're not interested in tennis, then I'm not going to spend the money for lessons." Amusingly this was the same attitude towards church...but I digress

Unsure of whether or not to take more, I opted watch cartoons on Saturday mornings instead of taking lessons. At the time it seemed like the best thing, but when you're 8 yrs old you don't know what is best for you mostly because you don't see the big picture.

I ended up doing taekwondo for 7-8 years and quitting because of highschool sports.

I've seen kids burnt out from playing too competitively, and I've seen kids who want to play but don't have the opportunity.

I think exposure to as many things as possible is good. It's nice to be a jack of all trades, but in the end I'd be happier to really excel at one thing.

The moral of the story, take every opportunity you get, and be thankful that you have something to complain about besides being hungry/cold/not getting an education

Teamtomo
11-04-2008, 10:50 AM

omg that is the worst thing in the world! a while back my psgd on my z - lite were dead but my parents wouldn't let me restring!!!!!!

miniRafa386
11-04-2008, 11:08 AM
i hate when my dad tells me to do my homework when im actually doing my homework. just because im on the internet doesnt mean im not doing homework.

game set match 46 TIMES!!
11-04-2008, 07:13 PM
i have no homework :) ever. home school ftw.i need it because i travel.

RestockingTues
11-04-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm tired of being asked when I'm going to get laid.

I'm also tired of people telling me that masturbating too much will make me go blind.
Correlation? :confused:

slicekick95
11-06-2008, 07:07 PM
i am tired of being told that A- in honors math is unnaceptable

AlphaCDjkr
11-08-2008, 01:42 PM
I hate it when people who have no idea how tennis works decides to critique my game.

I'm not a great player, so I don't have the kind of precision or control to hit a winner with every single shot. However, there are many people I know, particularly my dad (who has NO idea how to even hold a racquet properly) and my HS Varsity coach (Who has only managed to make the JV girls team by the time she graduated from HS). that have NO idea how to play at all.

It's really stupid when I'm bombarded with questions like "Why did you slice? Slices float and travel slowly and they're sooooo easy to return. You should have just blasted a shot [I]there." I want to shoot my coach when she asks this, because she doesn't even understand the offensive capabilities of a slice (Low skid, tends to land near feet, can generate return errors), and the fact that I wasn't really in a good position to be attempting to hit a shot there.

Or, when someone blasts a shot at me and I have no choice but to do a emergency defensive lob. Then, my coach says "Why didn't you, instead of hitting that ******** lob, just put a clean winner over there, where it was wide open?". I'm really going to be able to think and comprehend and coordinate my body to twist around an incoming smash and blast it over there. Yeah.

Maybe a more advanced player could have done it, but with my current skills I would have NO CHANCE of doing anything like that; and my coach knows it. However, she is among the kind of people who don't understand tennis and don't get why "You can't just hit it there whenever you want". In her time, she was used to playing 10mph tennis and shrieked in terror when the ball exceeded 25 mph.

***This was a fun rant, got rid of a lot of stress :)
Now I just lost 20 minutes from writing my personal statement for college apps. Booo :(

Tofi
11-08-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm tired of being asked when I'm going to get laid.

I'm also tired of people telling me that masturbating too much will make me go blind.
Correlation? :confused:

PMSL thats hilarious your friends must be sad.

slice bh compliment
11-08-2008, 02:15 PM
I hate it when people who have no idea how tennis works decides to critique my game.

I'm not a great player, so I don't have the kind of precision or control to hit a winner with every single shot. However, there are many people I know, particularly my dad (who has NO idea how to even hold a racquet properly) and my HS Varsity coach (Who has only managed to make the JV girls team by the time she graduated from HS). that have NO idea how to play at all.

It's really stupid when I'm bombarded with questions like "Why did you slice? Slices float and travel slowly and they're sooooo easy to return. You should have just blasted a shot [I]there." I want to shoot my coach when she asks this, because she doesn't even understand the offensive capabilities of a slice (Low skid, tends to land near feet, can generate return errors), and the fact that I wasn't really in a good position to be attempting to hit a shot there.

Or, when someone blasts a shot at me and I have no choice but to do a emergency defensive lob. Then, my coach says "Why didn't you, instead of hitting that ******** lob, just put a clean winner over there, where it was wide open?". I'm really going to be able to think and comprehend and coordinate my body to twist around an incoming smash and blast it over there. Yeah.

Maybe a more advanced player could have done it, but with my current skills I would have NO CHANCE of doing anything like that; and my coach knows it. However, she is among the kind of people who don't understand tennis and don't get why "You can't just hit it there whenever you want". In her time, she was used to playing 10mph tennis and shrieked in terror when the ball exceeded 25 mph.

***This was a fun rant, got rid of a lot of stress :)
Now I just lost 20 minutes from writing my personal statement for college apps. Booo :(

Nice rant.
A good read for any coach, teaching pro or friend of a tennis player.

Daycrawler
11-08-2008, 03:53 PM
When I hit a ball into a fence out of frustration and my coach yells at me. I'm just like im reliving stress **** off.

slice bh compliment
11-08-2008, 04:12 PM
When I hit a ball into a fence out of frustration and my coach yells at me. I'm just like im reliving stress **** off.

The coach probably means well, and is probably just trying to uphold some basic standards. We've all been there (anger, blowing off some steam) but in the end, tennis is supposed to relieve stress, not cause it.

Maybe she or he can show you other ways to relieve stress instead of just yelling at you.

I used to be a bit of a hot-head. Sometimes, I'd play better after a 'helicopter' or two. Usually not, though. Also, once, I smacked a ball over a fence into a parking lot and I almost hit a little kid. That pretty much cured me.....it's so stupid, I mean, it's just tennis....why put someone else in danger, and set a bad example for your teammates?

My college coach and the assistant coach and some friends have offered their advice.....some cool stuff and some dorky stuff:
like breathing, strightening strings, placing the racquet in your 'non-dominant hand', dancing the robot, saying that the crappy shot you just hit was 'fascinating', towel off and bite the towel, then do a cleansing breath....bite a ball, switch sticks, change shirts, whatever.

I know, man, it's tough to stay positive if you're playing badly. But eventually, you learn how important it is to handle stress well, and turn it into a better state of performance. That'll help you in sports, academics and business, too.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
11-08-2008, 04:16 PM
I could be tying my shoe on the bench and some guy would come up to me and say, "do you know how to properly hold a racket? It's like shaking a hand." I don't reply, I just take my racket in the western formation and tell them they're wrong. :)

JoshDragon
11-08-2008, 04:31 PM
I could be tying my shoe on the bench and some guy would come up to me and say, "do you know how to properly hold a racket? It's like shaking a hand." I don't reply, I just take my racket in the western formation and tell them they're wrong. :)

I'd do the same thing.:lol:

xpaulinabearx
11-10-2008, 10:13 AM
"How do you creat so much topspin?!"
me:"Ummm, Idk, natural?"
hahaha, yeah gets pretty annoying.
-__-

robertg06
11-10-2008, 10:16 AM
I hate when coaches say to me "Watch the ball"....

Daycrawler
11-10-2008, 01:18 PM
The coach probably means well, and is probably just trying to uphold some basic standards. We've all been there (anger, blowing off some steam) but in the end, tennis is supposed to relieve stress, not cause it.

Maybe she or he can show you other ways to relieve stress instead of just yelling at you.

I used to be a bit of a hot-head. Sometimes, I'd play better after a 'helicopter' or two. Usually not, though. Also, once, I smacked a ball over a fence into a parking lot and I almost hit a little kid. That pretty much cured me.....it's so stupid, I mean, it's just tennis....why put someone else in danger, and set a bad example for your teammates?

My college coach and the assistant coach and some friends have offered their advice.....some cool stuff and some dorky stuff:
like breathing, strightening strings, placing the racquet in your 'non-dominant hand', dancing the robot, saying that the crappy shot you just hit was 'fascinating', towel off and bite the towel, then do a cleansing breath....bite a ball, switch sticks, change shirts, whatever.

I know, man, it's tough to stay positive if you're playing badly. But eventually, you learn how important it is to handle stress well, and turn it into a better state of performance. That'll help you in sports, academics and business, too.
Well yeah. I dont do it often. It was just when missing a super easy shot or losing a set 6-7(6-8) after being up 4-1.