PDA

View Full Version : "Pallets" on tennis rackets?

aznspongehead
11-13-2006, 06:29 PM
I've just found out not too long ago that there is a "pallet" under the grip... I've always thought what is under the grip is just a "handle". Well, since the grip size on my racket is one size too small, I was wondering if I could possibly get a larger pallet to replace the old one... Well I don't know... I mean, is that even something you could do? If it is, how much does a "replacement pallet" cost?

I have a LMP mid, I'm looking for a 4 1/2 pallet. (again, IF such a thing as "replacement pallet" even exists)

By the way it'd be nice if someone can please explain to be the structure of a racket handle... what other stuff is wrapped underneath that grip? Oh and this might be a pretty dumb question but, what does a "pallet" look like? :confused:

psp2
11-13-2006, 06:37 PM
2 halves of a palette
http://tinyurl.com/ymtjzn

2 halves on the racquet
http://tinyurl.com/ynb6x7

http://tinyurl.com/yzmwta

http://tinyurl.com/ycgoo3

aznspongehead
11-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Oh okay... so are any of this stuff actually sold seperately?

hadoken
11-13-2006, 07:27 PM
PSP2-

What are those pallets and where did you get them? I have old Prince CTS frames and I want to make the grip bigger and I could potentially do so using a pallet similar to what you have there.

Rafa's best friend
11-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Is there way to build up the Pallets so it will be bigger than 5/8 like 7/8 size????

psp2
11-13-2006, 08:16 PM
PSP2-

What are those pallets and where did you get them? I have old Prince CTS frames and I want to make the grip bigger and I could potentially do so using a pallet similar to what you have there.

They are Volkl palettes. I have few of them left when I used Volkl racquets. I am customizing the CTS frame by removing the foam palette and installing the Volkl ones. It's not too difficult to do.

AJK1
11-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Yes, i replaced my Head Pallets one size larger to 4 1/2

aznspongehead
11-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Yes, i replaced my Head Pallets one size larger to 4 1/2

Awesome. Where did you get them? How much were they?

AJK1
11-13-2006, 09:02 PM
Well, i'm in Australia, it was my local Pro Shop. Cost me $15 Oz dollars, and they did it in 20mins. That's what i like about Head sticks, i can buy any racquet with any size handle, and change it! Pretty cool!!

hadoken
11-13-2006, 09:23 PM
PSP2-

Do you have any extra pallets you'd be willing to sell to me in size 5? Curious how you tacked on the pallet since the spacing is probably not perfect and you would need to add some filler.

psp2
11-13-2006, 09:29 PM
PSP2-

Do you have any extra pallets you'd be willing to sell to me in size 5? Curious how you tacked on the pallet since the spacing is probably not perfect and you would need to add some filler.

Shoot me an email (mailto:ubu2112@yahoo.com). I have a size 5. I used a double sided tape for filler. It actually fits pretty nicely on a Prince racquet.

aznspongehead
11-13-2006, 10:09 PM
Shoot me an email (mailto:ubu2112@yahoo.com). I have a size 5. I used a double sided tape for filler. It actually fits pretty nicely on a Prince racquet.

Do you have a size 4 that would fit on a head racket? I highly doubt racket doctors will sell this stuff...

louis netman
11-13-2006, 10:11 PM
I've just found out not too long ago that there is a "pallet" under the grip... I've always thought what is under the grip is just a "handle". Well, since the grip size on my racket is one size too small, I was wondering if I could possibly get a larger pallet to replace the old one... Well I don't know... I mean, is that even something you could do? If it is, how much does a "replacement pallet" cost?

I have a LMP mid, I'm looking for a 4 1/2 pallet. (again, IF such a thing as "replacement pallet" even exists)

By the way it'd be nice if someone can please explain to be the structure of a racket handle... what other stuff is wrapped underneath that grip? Oh and this might be a pretty dumb question but, what does a "pallet" look like? :confused:

Volkl and Head utilize a replaceable grip pallet system on their "better" frames. TW once stocked the pallets, but according to them, liability issues have caused them to discontinue stocking the pallets. They will replace the pallet for you, however for a nominal charge and you will have to send in your frame. I suggest calling a tennis shop in LA at: (213) 663-6601 to see if they have the pallet size you want. They will charge about 12-15 for the pallet and will install it for free. Ask for Jeff and he'll take care of you...

psp2
11-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Do you have a size 4 that would fit on a head racket? I highly doubt racket doctors will sell this stuff...

I have size 4 Volkl palettes. I have not used it on a Head racquet before, so I'm not 100% sure it will fit.

nyc
11-14-2006, 07:34 AM
you could also just add a shrinksleave to increase handle by one size. It's probably the cheapest solution and works like a charm. More details here:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/increasegripsize/increasegrip.html

Janne
11-14-2006, 08:08 AM
I just asked a Swedish online store for head pallets in size 2 and they told me they'd ship it to me. I dont know how many I´ll get from them but he addressed it in plural so I´m guessing at the very least 2 of them!

Cost was 50kr which is about 7 USD.

PS: They said they'd send me the Flexpoint prestige pallets and said that if they were too long I could just cut it smaller.

Janne
11-14-2006, 08:15 AM
Double post, sorry...

jackson vile
11-14-2006, 08:31 AM
One thing to look out for is that that volkl pallets are extra large, their 5/8 is more like a 6+ grip lol

Any ways you can take molds of grips and and use fome form to make new grips

louis netman
11-14-2006, 09:12 AM
you could also just add a shrinksleave to increase handle by one size. It's probably the cheapest solution and works like a charm. More details here:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/increasegripsize/increasegrip.html

If you don't mind your bevels being rounded-off and a bit of extra weight, you can go this route....

aznspongehead
11-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Volkl and Head utilize a replaceable grip pallet system on their "better" frames. TW once stocked the pallets, but according to them, liability issues have caused them to discontinue stocking the pallets. They will replace the pallet for you, however for a nominal charge and you will have to send in your frame. I suggest calling a tennis shop in LA at: (213) 663-6601 to see if they have the pallet size you want. They will charge about 12-15 for the pallet and will install it for free. Ask for Jeff and he'll take care of you...

Oh ok thanks. Thanks for all the help guys. I'll probably call that number this weekend. Is this that racket shop in Arcadia?

ericsson
11-14-2006, 10:55 PM
If you don't mind your bevels being rounded-off and a bit of extra weight, you can go this route....

exactly, i got two volkls compared, one with regular 4 1/2 grip and one with 4 3/8 modified with overlap, the original weighs 335 gr strung and the other overlapped weighs 349 gr. Conclusion, it adds weight, changes balance etc...

not for me!