PDA

View Full Version : lead at handle, should I add at top, or at top of handle

tennisguy11
11-13-2006, 09:11 PM
I recently added 5 grams of lead at 3 and 9 on my flexpoint prestige mid plus, I want to counter the weight with 7 grams on the handle. My question is, is it better to add at the bottom , or top for an all court singles player, and a doubles player. Title should read top, or bottom, sorry for confusion

sypl
11-13-2006, 09:40 PM
I found that adding it at the top of the handle made it felt horrible. Got tired after five minutes and hurt my wrist like crazy. Put it at the bottom, more counterweighting effect there anyway.

Besides, if you add it at the top of the handle, above your hand, then I don't think that's adding any counterweight at all.

AJK1
11-13-2006, 09:48 PM
You guys have it all wrong. Think of a see-saw. Measure the distance from the top of the frame to the middle point of your lead tape at 3 & 9 positions. It should be around 17cms Then put the same amount around your handle under the grip at 17cms from the butt end. Everything has to be equally weighted, to keep the same balance. That's probably why putting lead tape at the top of the grip felt weird. It was out of balance.

tennisguy11
11-13-2006, 10:12 PM
So if 7 grams were added just above the butt and 5 grams were added at three and 9 total, about how many more points head light would the racquet become? AJK I want to make the racquet a drop more head light after the custimization process, should this set up do the trick?

jackson vile
11-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Actually if you are increase SW and static weight you more than likely are going to want something more head light.

Personally I would just start the weight at the very bottom and then move it up, see what you like best.

Remember the science/theories are only as a good guidline. IMO I like max polarization and very head light I have a 1hbh

woody6.1
11-14-2006, 07:46 PM
i did about the same set up on my n6.1 16x18 and at the very bottom did the trick for me in making it a little more headlight. I'm not really sure about how much the prestige weighs initially though..

Steve Huff
11-14-2006, 08:51 PM
My suggestion: Forget about balance. Start thinking about swingweight. After adding weight to the face (3 and 9), how does it feel. If you add above the handle, it's going to add to the swingweight more than if you added under the grip. If you have a static weight in mind, distribute it to where the swingweight feels comfortable, and you're getting the right amount of power and feel.