PDA

View Full Version : Bjorn Borg - Guillermo Vilas Roland Garros 1978 (VIDEO)

peluzon
11-13-2006, 10:16 PM
Final Roland Garros 1978,

Bjorn Borg - Guillermo Vilas

Video 8 minutes and half,,,, and very good image for that time

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6339/vilas2al501wh.jpghttp://img138.imageshack.us/img138/381/borgbjorn1978ghral503ku.jpg

http://rapidshare.com/files/3194464/VILAS_VS_BORG_ROLANGA_78.wmv.html

Serve and Volley
11-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Who's who?? They look like the same person!

bm3
11-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Vilas is top one , Borg the bottom one.

I resized my screen and now there's right and left, go figure :confused:
Vilas left photo, Borg right. What a coincidence, that's how they play :grin:

LttlElvis
11-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Check out the difference in size of the forearms of Vilas. It seems like today's players don't have the oversized dominant arm like in the days of Borg and Vilas. Vitas Gerulaitis was like that too.

Mick
11-14-2006, 11:59 AM
Vilas' hitting arm looks like the ones from Popeye :)

Mick
11-14-2006, 12:00 PM

haha. Vilas is the dark hair guy. Borg is the blonde hair guy.

stormholloway
11-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Laver was the ultimate popeye arm though.

Borg would definitely have won at least 3 more Frenches if he hadn't retired.

Andres
11-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Laver was the ultimate popeye arm though.

Borg would definitely have won at least 3 more Frenches if he hadn't retired.
I remember an interview to Vilas, a year ago or so, and he was asked about the size of his arm.
He said something like "When I started, everyone said Laver had the biggest forearm in tennis, and when I finally meet him, the first thing I said to him was: my forearm is 3 cm bigger than yours"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

bm3
11-14-2006, 02:10 PM
haha. Vilas is the dark hair guy. Borg is the blonde hair guy.

And only one is lefty ;)

Other than same brand of clothes and same hair style, it never really occurred to me that they look alike, but then again Vilas is the reason I play tennis :-)

gonzalocatalino
11-14-2006, 02:30 PM
LOL
Watch the first point of the match, what a rally!!!

Mick
11-14-2006, 02:39 PM
And only one is lefty ;)

Other than same brand of clothes and same hair style, it never really occurred to me that they look alike, but then again Vilas is the reason I play tennis :-)
in the pictures above from sporting heroes, Vilas also wore the same brand of shoes (Diadora) and the headbands looked quite similar :)

Of the two, Vilas looked more muscular.

stormholloway
11-14-2006, 05:27 PM
I like the way Borg moves more. These two are the best dressed in tennis history though, hands down.

Mick
11-14-2006, 06:28 PM
i finally managed to download the file. It was too busy before. Wow, back then players did not seem to move very much when playing on a clay court (compared to today) . Both guys had amazing ground strokes.

stormholloway
11-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Clay really brings out the low power of those woodies. I think clay court tennis is the one aspect that has benefited from the new technology.

They really had to grind back in the day.

galain
11-15-2006, 02:21 AM
Thank you for posting this peluzon! Vilas was my very first tennis hero - kind of hurt to see him so easily beaten there. I thought it was interesting that many of his shots seemed a lot deeper than Borg's, but man, I forgot how fast Borg could move. That was great to see - thanks again.

AndrewD
11-15-2006, 07:03 AM
I know it seems as though they're playing in slow motion and not hitting very hard but look at how much forward momentum the ball has when it kicks off the clay. You just can't get that much work on the ball unless you're giving it a rip and with wooden racquets you have to give it an almighty rip. Then, take into account that Borg strung his racquets at more than 80lbs. Do that and you begin to understand that players today are not more powerful than in days gone by but the racquets are.

galain,

I know Vilas got thumped but how about those backhand slice shots he was hitting? Absolutely perfect length on every one of them and right into the corners every time. Hitting topspin shots is one thing but the control required to hit slice shots like Vilas was doing (with so much less margin for error) is phenomenal. In all honesty, I'm struggling to think of many players today who could do the same.

Gut Reaction
11-15-2006, 09:47 AM
I like the way Borg moves more. These two are the best dressed in tennis history though, hands down.

They dressed exactly alike and played exactly alike. BORING!

heycal
11-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Check out the difference in size of the forearms of Vilas. It seems like today's players don't have the oversized dominant arm like in the days of Borg and Vilas.

Whatta you talking about? Nadal's left arm is about 10 times the size of his right arm.

heycal
11-15-2006, 11:58 AM

Who's who?!? Are the youth of today so ignorant of the history of the game as to not instantly recognize the mighty Borg? This is like someone posting pictures of Abraham Lincoln and George Washington and then someone else asking "Which one has the beard?"

stormholloway
11-15-2006, 12:01 PM

Yeah, one is a lefty with a one handed backhand. The other is a righty with the most obscure 2 hander in history. They both wore Fila but had their own particular lines.

I would hardly say they were exactly alike in any regard.

I'm not positive, but I would estimate that Vilas was the second best clay courter of that era and the fact that Borg was able to dismiss him so easily two finals really shows what Borg was about. Plus if you've ever swung a Donnay Borg Pro you'll know what it took to do what he did, especially considering the high tensions he used.

LttlElvis
11-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Whatta you talking about? Nadal's left arm is about 10 times the size of his right arm.

Yes, he is the only one I can think of like that in today's game. Seemed like more players in the past had the oversize forearm. By the way, I saw Jimmy Arias a few months ago warming up. His right arm was still ripped. His left looked like nothing. I couldn't believe he could still nail those strokes.

eunjam
11-15-2006, 03:42 PM
thanks for the upload.

AndrewD
11-17-2006, 02:54 AM
I'm not positive, but I would estimate that Vilas was the second best clay courter of that era and the fact that Borg was able to dismiss him so easily two finals really shows what Borg was about.

Ion Tiriac said that, when Borg played Vilas, no-matter whether the rally went 35 or 75 shots, Borg could always hit one extra ball. Anyone else, Vilas would just grind into the red dirt but Borg just wasn't like anyone else LOL.

TonyB
11-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Who's who?!? Are the youth of today so ignorant of the history of the game as to not instantly recognize the mighty Borg? This is like someone posting pictures of Abraham Lincoln and George Washington and then someone else asking "Which one has the beard?"

HAHAHAHAAH!!!

Best post of the day. Heck, I'll vote for that as the best post of the month.

TonyB
11-18-2006, 07:52 AM
Watching this video of Borg reminds me of why I loved to watch the Borg-McEnroe matches so much.

Borg could hit great angles (both inside-out and cross-court) from anywhere on the court. And JMac could hit volleys from anywhere at net. It was a complete contrast in styles, but both of them were equally effective.

Funny thing is that the ball was moving SO SLOWLY back then compared to today's matches. I never got the impression that those guys were working up a sweat! It always seemed like Connors had to work much harder than the likes of Borg, Gerulaitis, Vilas, etc. during the match. Even McEnroe seemed to be "taking it easy" much of the time.

If I could, I'd just sit and watch videos of the great matches of the 70s and 80s all day long.

stormholloway
11-18-2006, 08:22 AM
Ion Tiriac said that, when Borg played Vilas, no-matter whether the rally went 35 or 75 shots, Borg could always hit one extra ball. Anyone else, Vilas would just grind into the red dirt but Borg just wasn't like anyone else LOL.

Ion Tiriac.. didn't they call him the Romanian bull or somethin like that?

stormholloway
11-18-2006, 08:23 AM
I have a WTC match with Borg and Laver. Laver was past his prime but that's a fun match to watch... except for that stupid tennis channel banner taking up space at the bottom.

Mick
11-18-2006, 08:29 AM
...Funny thing is that the ball was moving SO SLOWLY back then compared to today's matches...

I wonder if 20 years from now we would make the statement after viewing a clip from a Roger Federer match http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

tandayu
11-18-2006, 07:19 PM
I know it seems as though they're playing in slow motion and not hitting very hard but look at how much forward momentum the ball has when it kicks off the clay. You just can't get that much work on the ball unless you're giving it a rip and with wooden racquets you have to give it an almighty rip. Then, take into account that Borg strung his racquets at more than 80lbs. Do that and you begin to understand that players today are not more powerful than in days gone by but the racquets are.

galain,

I know Vilas got thumped but how about those backhand slice shots he was hitting? Absolutely perfect length on every one of them and right into the corners every time. Hitting topspin shots is one thing but the control required to hit slice shots like Vilas was doing (with so much less margin for error) is phenomenal. In all honesty, I'm struggling to think of many players today who could do the same.

You are right, They hit heavy balls, lots of pace wihout the help of the racket

tandayu
11-18-2006, 07:31 PM
If you think this one is boring, YOu have not even seen the 1981 Borg vs Lendl 3-set final, lots of moon ball rally

tandayu
11-18-2006, 07:32 PM
If you think this one is boring, YOu have not even seen the 1981 Borg vs Lendl 3-set final, lots of moon ball rally

Correction. I mean 5-set final in 1981

Mick
11-18-2006, 08:01 PM

I got a tape of the 1988 US Open Final between Lendl and Wilander and there were a lot of moonball rallies in that match too. I believe it's the longest men's final match in the US Open history. It took Wilander more than 5 hours to out rally Lendl.

Rafa's best friend
11-18-2006, 08:03 PM
This is truly a great video for all those people whom the Ambien or Restoril did not work for them in the past................

stormholloway
11-18-2006, 09:39 PM
This is truly a great video for all those people whom the Ambien or Restoril did not work for them in the past................

Nice!

AndrewD
11-19-2006, 01:47 AM
Ion Tiriac.. didn't they call him the Romanian bull or somethin like that?

Vilas was the Bull of the Pampas and Tiriac was often called Dracula (among other things). Although, after the 72 Davis Cup final, I think the US team had a few more choice names for him LOL.

peluzon
11-29-2006, 09:28 PM
I have a WTC match with Borg and Laver. Laver was past his prime but that's a fun match to watch... except for that stupid tennis channel banner taking up space at the bottom.

you should share with us that match

SFrazeur
11-30-2006, 10:19 AM
My voice squeaks just looking at those shorts.

emerckx53
12-19-2006, 07:46 PM

I am sure you are under 25 years of age....

Tennis old man
03-20-2008, 12:59 PM
I was int the court that day. Thanks for bring those images back in my ming again.

Tennis old man
03-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Mind! not ming!

TennisandMusic
03-20-2008, 03:14 PM
At the end what are those trophies? The regular trophy doesn't look nearly as nice as it does now, but then that guy takes it back from Borg and hands him something that looks like it was won out of a mall vending machine...

orangettecoleman
03-26-2008, 10:18 AM
they still do that with the trophies. they give you the big one for the photo ops and award ceremony and then take it back and give you a mini one to keep. anyway thanks to the OP for this video. it's nice to see some footage of vilas, not too easy to come by these days.

peluzon
03-26-2008, 10:53 AM
nice to see this video up here again ,, i posted like one year ago

enjoy it