PDA

View Full Version : the best 10 series volkl

Pages : [1] 2

ericsson
11-14-2006, 03:20 AM
of all 10 series of volkl i have to say the dnx series dissapointed me the most, the tour 10 gen I i found the best for me, i played them all except the c10 pro TOUR and c10 comp (the first edition) it can be me but i found the dnx has lack of the typical volkl feeling, strange, if i didnt knew they are volkl i wouldnt know. far different from my tour 10 gen I. and c 10 pro

1. tour 10 mp gen I (such an allcourt frame and stable)
2. tour 10 mid gen I (when im playing good ;)
3. c 10 pro
4. V-engine mid (little outsider but very good racket, little too demanding for my game though)
5. C 9 pro nice racket but a little light for my flat shots

thats just an opinion based upon my expierences with volkl rackets over the last years...

Amone
11-14-2006, 04:31 AM
I felt like the V-Engine Midplus was really the best for the game I've been so lately growing into, the modern topspinning game. The open swing pattern, it felt so right for my game when I tried it out the other day, that I don't even know if I could indulge my desire for modification with it. Maybe a more polarized setup, test some design theories of my own... but not on the scale I normally would, I can say that. Great racquet.

Django
11-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Best -- Tour 10 Gen II, though many would say the C-10.

Worst -- Catapult 10.

MikeZee
11-14-2006, 08:10 AM
Undoubtedly the tour 10 Gen 1 Mid.
The VE mid is not too far behind. These two IMO are clearly among the best frames out there.
I haven't tried any MP's...
As for the DNX 10...well, I only hit once with it but I wasn't very impressed.

louis netman
11-14-2006, 09:20 AM
ditto the DNX disappointment...

ALL TIED FOR 1st PLACE: T10 mp gen I & C10 pro & T10 mid gen I (when I'm playing alot)
2nd: T10 gen II
3rd: C10 PT (a bit of lumber these days)

Django
11-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Hardly mentioned 10 series -- the C10 Xtended, the 27.6-incher with the 18x20 ... the C10 Oversized ... and the ENTIRE Quantum 10 line.

dozu
11-14-2006, 01:03 PM
tour10 mid gen1... this thing leaded up to 12.8 oz, with a gut job at 56lbs

oh my, how in the world did Volkl build a racket this PRECISE ?? Forget about topspin 'modern' game... with this thing I can aim for 2 inches above the net, hit the ball real hard, land the thing within a foot from opp's baseline.... REPEATEDLY.

s_andrean
11-14-2006, 01:09 PM
I love my Tour 10 V-engine mids.

Nice feel, quite stable, and yo can get a surprising amount of spin considering how dense the stringbed is.

they are strong too, they take the abuse i give them, unlike my fischers :(

jonolau
11-14-2006, 07:07 PM
IMO, the Catapult 10 and C10 Pro are top of my list.

But in retrspect, the question about which is the best 10 series Volkl is very subjective. Perhaps it might be more fair to classify them according to their strengths.

1. C10 Pro/Pro Tour - Very nice and flexy frame. One of the most comfortable racquets in the 10 series. Has very solid feel on groundstrokes, nice touch on volleys and dependable on serves. An extremely dependable all-court racquet suitable to 4.0-4.5 and above.

2. Catapult 10 - More reminiscent of a back to basics frame and has a low swingweight. Dependable all round racquet without the heft of the C10 Pro. Does not need as much speed on the swing. Suitable to 3.5 and above.

3. Tour 10 VE Mid - A surgeon's scalpel. Able to place serves with pinpoint accuracy. Has a lot of control on groundstrokes and aids in placement of driving forehands. Very nice touch and control on volleys, and would rate it as the best for slices/spin. The demands from the frame can best be appreciated by 4.0-4.5 and above players.

4. DNX10 Mid - One of the most demanding sticks from Volkl. A true player's racquet that would provide most joy to a 4.5 player and above who can make the most of the swingweight, heft and control offered by this frame.

5. Quantum 10 - A great stick for mid level players 3.0-3.5 as an introduction to more demanding sticks. A slightly longer length, bigger sweetpost and more power from the Power Grommet system helps instil confidence whilst developing better strokes.

6. Tour 10 X-tended - Plays just like the C10 Pro, but offers a little more on serves with the added 0.5". However, this then translates into a different feel on groundstrokes, which is best appreciated by those who swing wide.

Just my subjective opinion.

TennisMD
11-15-2006, 12:32 PM
Played with the C10 98, the tour 10 MP genI, V1Classic, the '95 version, The C9 and now the Gen II. I like the latter the best same sweet spot as the genI but better serving, very decent power and very very comfortable.

gerrym40
11-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Number 1 volkl for me is Tour 10 Mid (gen 1). It plays great with a lead tape on the sides of the racket. Especially with gut or a gut/syn combo.:-)

Field
11-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Völkl Tour 10 MP (Gen I) :)
It's such a magnificent stick ;)

Field

louis netman
11-16-2006, 12:11 PM
Völkl Tour 10 MP (Gen I) :)
It's such a magnificent stick ;)

Field

tour10 mid gen1... this thing leaded up to 12.8 oz, with a gut job at 56lbs

oh my, how in the world did Volkl build a racket this PRECISE ?? Forget about topspin 'modern' game... with this thing I can aim for 2 inches above the net, hit the ball real hard, land the thing within a foot from opp's baseline.... REPEATEDLY.

Give me back 10 years and that would be the ONE :-)!

ace maze
11-16-2006, 12:32 PM
I have 6 Tour 10's Gen 1 as I found the racquet to be excellent.
Then I tried others such as Tour 10 V engine MP, and then Tour 10 Geb II.
I did not like them as much as the Tour 10 Gen I.
Recently, after reading reviews, I bought the Tour 10 DNX MID.
ON the first hit I found the racquet to have a natural and excellent swing.
It was not as soft as the Tour 10 but it had nice power, accuracy and excellent for serving. After playing for a while with both, the DNX showed to me a worthy succesor and a progression from the T10.
I changed.
After using it for a while, when I wanted just for fun, to go back to the T10, the difference was noticeable and I suffered. My serve was not the same, in pace and accuracy and the other shots did not have as much pace and penetration. The difference was sufficiently big to notice it.
Now I have bought a second DNX Mid, as the Tour 10 felt short in some respects.
I guess that if you are open to new things and once you get pass the initial differences during the first week, once you accept it and embrace it, at the end proves to be a natural progression and a better racquet.

J

BounceHitBounceHit
11-16-2006, 03:15 PM
Played with the C10 98, the tour 10 MP genI, V1Classic, the '95 version, The C9 and now the Gen II. I like the latter the best same sweet spot as the genI but better serving, very decent power and very very comfortable.

Tennis MD and other fans of the Tour 10 GenI's: do your Tour 10 Gen I's have the word 'Tour' written at the top of the hoop in black or red lettering?

I am told by NBMJ that the earlier frames swung heavier and had red lettering.

I'd love to have one of the later, lighter swinging, black lettered frames to demo. ;)

Best,

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
11-16-2006, 03:18 PM
I have 6 Tour 10's Gen 1 as I found the racquet to be excellent.
Then I tried others such as Tour 10 V engine MP, and then Tour 10 Geb II.
I did not like them as much as the Tour 10 Gen I.
Recently, after reading reviews, I bought the Tour 10 DNX MID.
ON the first hit I found the racquet to have a natural and excellent swing.
It was not as soft as the Tour 10 but it had nice power, accuracy and excellent for serving. After playing for a while with both, the DNX showed to me a worthy succesor and a progression from the T10.
I changed.
After using it for a while, when I wanted just for fun, to go back to the T10, the difference was noticeable and I suffered. My serve was not the same, in pace and accuracy and the other shots did not have as much pace and penetration. The difference was sufficiently big to notice it.
Now I have bought a second DNX Mid, as the Tour 10 felt short in some respects.
I guess that if you are open to new things and once you get pass the initial differences during the first week, once you accept it and embrace it, at the end proves to be a natural progression and a better racquet.

J

If you'd like to trade some of your Tour 10 MP Gen I's for some DNX 10 mids in great shape, drop me a line!! ;)

CC

lcw
11-16-2006, 03:18 PM
The DNX10 MP is my favorite. I didn't like it at first but after a while it responded well to top spin, flat shots, slices and what ever I tried.
Give the racquet time and it will reward you well.

TennisMD
11-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Craig Clark:

Hmm, my tour 10 mps have tour written in white and the mid plus is in red. I prefer the GenII because of the lighter swing weight.

jonolau
11-16-2006, 11:11 PM
If you'd like to trade some of your Tour 10 MP Gen I's for some DNX 10 mids in great shape, drop me a line!! ;)

CC

Craig,

How many DNX10 mids did you buy?

Jon

BounceHitBounceHit
11-17-2006, 08:29 AM
Craig,

How many DNX10 mids did you buy?

Jon

Hi Jon,

I always buy four of any frame I am seriously considering. This allows me two benefits:

1. I can string them with assorted strings at various tensions to be certain that I don't pass up a frame I'd really love b/c it has the wrong string/tension. I think the (generally speaking) lousy string jobs in most demos makes their use more or less pointless.

2. Because I like 17g strings, take a full cut, and use lots of topspin, I break strings like crazy (a set a week or so). Therefore it is not unusual for me to go through two frames in a session (especially when hitting 5-7 times per week)

Best,

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
11-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Craig Clark:

Hmm, my tour 10 mps have tour written in white and the mid plus is in red. I prefer the GenII because of the lighter swing weight.

Mojo,

Can you clarify this issue? I can't seem to find the e mail you sent me.

Thanks,

CC

NoBadMojo
11-17-2006, 08:46 AM
Tennis MD and other fans of the Tour 10 GenI's: do your Tour 10 Gen I's have the word 'Tour' written at the top of the hoop in black or red lettering?

I am told by NBMJ that the earlier frames swung heavier and had red lettering.

I'd love to have one of the later, lighter swinging, black lettered frames to demo. ;)

Best,

CC

Hi Craig....AFAIK all the Gen1 frames had 'Tour' in white and 'Midplus' designations in Red. The early Gen1's had 'Quantum' on the throat area which was later changed to 'Tour'...all the exact same racquet

Perhaps this is getting addled with the Gen2 frame. The early ones of those had 'MidPlus' designation on the upper hoop in red and the later and current version has it in Black. The early ones swung a bit heavier than the current

My fav 10series frames are the Gen1, Gen2, 10VEMP, 10VEMid, DNX10Mid, and DNX10MP. The C10Pro is a terrific frame which just isnt for me because of the ultra flexy head. Of these, the Gen1 stands out most for me, but i could use the others well. The Cat10 was a good idea gone bad I think only because they used a different catapult device IMO, and I found the Quantum10 to be particularly demanding for a lighter weight frame (but I only hit the one version of it and not the other)

BounceHitBounceHit
11-17-2006, 09:08 AM
Hi Craig....AFAIK all the Gen1 frames had 'Tour' in white and 'Midplus' designations in Red. The early Gen1's had 'Quantum' on the throat area which was later changed to 'Tour'...all the exact same racquet

Perhaps this is getting addled with the Gen2 frame. The early ones of those had 'MidPlus' designation on the upper hoop in red and the later and current version has it in Black. The early ones swung a bit heavier than the current

My fav 10series frames are the Gen1, Gen2, 10VEMP, 10VEMid, DNX10Mid, and DNX10MP. The C10Pro is a terrific frame which just isnt for me because of the ultra flexy head. Of these, the Gen1 stands out most for me, but i could use the others well. The Cat10 was a good idea gone bad I think only because they used a different catapult device IMO, and I found the Quantum10 to be particularly demanding for a lighter weight frame (but I only hit the one version of it and not the other)

Yes! That was it. It was the 'Midplus' part that had different colored lettering.

Thanks Ed.

CC

jonolau
11-18-2006, 04:42 AM
Hi Jon,

I always buy four of any frame I am seriously considering. This allows me two benefits:

1. I can string them with assorted strings at various tensions to be certain that I don't pass up a frame I'd really love b/c it has the wrong string/tension. I think the (generally speaking) lousy string jobs in most demos makes their use more or less pointless.

2. Because I like 17g strings, take a full cut, and use lots of topspin, I break strings like crazy (a set a week or so). Therefore it is not unusual for me to go through two frames in a session (especially when hitting 5-7 times per week)

Best,

CC

Wow, you are a perfect candidate to do home stringing. I'm sure you'll find great joy in toying around with your own stringing.

TennisMD
11-18-2006, 08:13 AM
Ijust purchased two new Gen IIs from TW, they were on back order so I assume they are the newest version and the MP is written in red. Maybe TW can clarify the SW issue

NoBadMojo
11-18-2006, 08:54 AM
Ijust purchased two new Gen IIs from TW, they were on back order so I assume they are the newest version and the MP is written in red. Maybe TW can clarify the SW issue

do your frames also have 'Generation II' and 'Precise Frame' (i think?) in the shaft area in kind of a hologram type of treatment? or neither? perhaps Volkl has changed the cosmetic coding again on this frame.

TennisMD
11-18-2006, 09:30 AM
NoBad:

They do, also on the inner shaft it has Volkl and the fancy logo FIRE. Just FYI

NoBadMojo
11-18-2006, 11:26 AM
NoBad:

They do, also on the inner shaft it has Volkl and the fancy logo FIRE. Just FYI

Those sound like early cosmetic coding but i havent seen a Gen2 in several months...were the frames used or something? ..is there something wrong with the frames?

ace maze
11-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Craig,
thanks for the kind offer. Unfortunately I live outside the US, so posting racquets makes the exchange too expensive.
In addition, three of my T10's are pretty worn out, as they have been used extensively.

Regards

TennisMD
11-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Those sound like early cosmetic coding but i havent seen a Gen2 in several months...were the frames used or something? ..is there something wrong with the frames?

No the rkts are brand new from Tw, and are playing fine. Just responding to ? on new vs older forms of the rkt

hoosierbr
11-19-2006, 02:53 PM
Currently play the C10 Pro Tour. An incredible racquet that, alas, is getting too heavy for me to use consistently well. But a true classic.

The C10 Pro is a great racquet too, another classic. Does everything well.

The Tour 10 Gen II is another sweet frame. Huge sweetspot, very nice weight distribution and easy to swing fast. The shape of the head is a bit odd to me and as a result it played strangely. For me that is, I'm sure it doesn't bother others.

The Tour 10 VE Mid is another great frame. If only it had an open string pattern!

Wasn't impressed with the DNX 10 MP. Didn't like the feel. Solid, a bit heavier than the Gen II and good control. A good baseliner's weapon I think. But a solid frame nonetheless.

BounceHitBounceHit
11-19-2006, 03:42 PM
Wow, you are a perfect candidate to do home stringing. I'm sure you'll find great joy in toying around with your own stringing.

Yep! I've got an EAGNAS Hawk 850 and it does a pretty nice job. But as careful as I may be my jobs fall short of what my favorite local tennis specialty store can do on their Babolat Star machine. Best, Craig

BounceHitBounceHit
11-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Craig,
thanks for the kind offer. Unfortunately I live outside the US, so posting racquets makes the exchange too expensive.
In addition, three of my T10's are pretty worn out, as they have been used extensively.

Regards

Thanks for the response, and the honesty!! Best, CC

BounceHitBounceHit
11-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Currently play the C10 Pro Tour. An incredible racquet that, alas, is getting too heavy for me to use consistently well. But a true classic.

The C10 Pro is a great racquet too, another classic. Does everything well.

The Tour 10 Gen II is another sweet frame. Huge sweetspot, very nice weight distribution and easy to swing fast. The shape of the head is a bit odd to me and as a result it played strangely. For me that is, I'm sure it doesn't bother others.

The Tour 10 VE Mid is another great frame. If only it had an open string pattern!

Wasn't impressed with the DNX 10 MP. Didn't like the feel. Solid, a bit heavier than the Gen II and good control. A good baseliner's weapon I think. But a solid frame nonetheless.

Did you try the DNX 9? Best, CC

hoosierbr
11-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Did you try the DNX 9? Best, CC

Not yet. Waiting to hit the DNX 10 Mid and the 9, hopefully at the same time. TW rarely has both demos in at once so I'm thinking I'll hit them separately.

BounceHitBounceHit
11-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Not yet. Waiting to hit the DNX 10 Mid and the 9, hopefully at the same time. TW rarely has both demos in at once so I'm thinking I'll hit them separately.

You are welcome to hit one of mine when you come to Nashvegas. CC

BounceHitBounceHit
11-20-2006, 12:06 PM
You are welcome to hit one of mine when you come to Nashvegas. CC

Actually I have a DNX 10 mid on hand too..............

NoBadMojo
11-20-2006, 12:39 PM

aye Craig..did you find you had to remind yourself that you have one of these? ;O

how's my tricked up Gen1 treating you?

FitzRoy
11-20-2006, 12:51 PM
NoBadMojo, I've been meaning to ask you something about the DNX 10 Mid for a while, but haven't got around to it. This 10-series thread seems like a reasonable place, so here goes.

TW lists the DNX 10 Mid specs as 340 gram weight, 331 Swingweight and a 12 pt headlight balance. If those numbers are accurate, I have a feeling that this frame might be a very good fit for me. However, I've seen it listed with slightly different specs from other retailers. My question is, do you have any information as to the accurate specs for this frame? I plan on trying out the frame either way, but any info on this would be appreciated.

NoBadMojo
11-20-2006, 01:03 PM
NoBadMojo, I've been meaning to ask you something about the DNX 10 Mid for a while, but haven't got around to it. This 10-series thread seems like a reasonable place, so here goes.

TW lists the DNX 10 Mid specs as 340 gram weight, 331 Swingweight and a 12 pt headlight balance. If those numbers are accurate, I have a feeling that this frame might be a very good fit for me. However, I've seen it listed with slightly different specs from other retailers. My question is, do you have any information as to the accurate specs for this frame? I plan on trying out the frame either way, but any info on this would be appreciated.

sure..i would go with these specs. they're from Volkl. i find them to most always be very accurate once their frames get into mainstream production. keep in mind that the strung specs if using poly would make for a higher swingweight, and slightly less headlight frame
<snip>
DNX 10 Mid
Specifications
Head Size: .................................. 93 in2 (600 cm2)
Cross Section: .............................19 mm
Length: ........................................ 27” (68.5 cm)
Weight (Unstrung): ...................... 11.6 oz (330 g)
Weight (Strung): .......................... 12.1 oz (345 g)
Balance (Unstrung): .................... 1.3 in Head Light (31.0 cm)
Balance (Strung): ........................ .0.9 in Head Light (32.0 cm)
Swing Weight (Unstrung): ...........300 kgcm2
Swing Weight (Strung): ...............325 kgcm2
Flex (Unstrung): ..........................61
Flex (Strung): ..............................59
Grip Sizes: .................................. 4 1/8” – 4 3/4” (sizes 1-6)
Grip Type: ....................................DNX Grip
Handle Technology: ....................Sensor Tour Handle System
Frame Construction: ....................DNX Frame
Frame Material:............................ DNX, Carbon-Graphite, Fiberglas
String Pattern:..............................16 x 19 Dynamic Power Control Pattern
String Tension:............................. 55 lbs. + / - 5 lbs. (25 kp + / - 2 kp)

DNX 10 Mid Positioning:
With a 93 sq. inch head size and 19 mm beam, the DNX 10 is the tournament-level
racquet in the Völkl line, with the highest level of control and precision. The idea
behind the DNX 10 is to provide exceptional feel, due to a flexible, thin beam and
a more open 16 x 19 string pattern, that will maximize the ball control of every stroke.
With the incorporation of the revolutionary DNX material, the racquet attains the unique
performance characteristic combination of a strong, yet flexible frame that gives the
feeling of unrivalled performance.
Ideal for 4.5 players and higher
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
! ! ! ! !

hoosierbr
11-20-2006, 01:03 PM

Sounds good, thanks. When I'm heading down there I'll have you send me an email so we can get in touch.

I'm a bit apprehensive about the DNX 10 Mid as I'm not sure if I'll like the feel. I like the old school Volkl feel, that's what drew me, and I didn't care for the DNX 10 MP. But I want to like it b/c I need to find a new backup frame just in case as my relationship with Vantage is kinda borderline at the moment.

Randy

NoBadMojo
11-20-2006, 01:15 PM
Sounds good, thanks. When I'm heading down there I'll have you send me an email so we can get in touch.

I'm a bit apprehensive about the DNX 10 Mid as I'm not sure if I'll like the feel. I like the old school Volkl feel, that's what drew me, and I didn't care for the DNX 10 MP.

Randy

Randy I think you were getting the double whammy with the DNX material and denser stringbed of the MP. I didnt particulalry like that combo either. I've found that denser stringbeds make for boardier stringbeds especially when strung too tightly and many people seem to string too tightly. I think that racquet would play best for most at low tension. I think the DNX10Mid is old school feeling with the flex and fiberglass in there, but think the term 'old school feel' is a pretty meaningless one. I really enjoyed the DNXMid and would have happily switched to it if the swingweight wasnt too high for me

hoosierbr
11-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Randy I think you were getting the double whammy with the DNX material and denser stringbed of the MP. I didnt particulalry like that combo either. I've found that denser stringbeds make for boardier stringbeds especially when strung too tightly and many people seem to string too tightly. I think that racquet would play best for most at low tension. I think the DNX10Mid is old school feeling with the flex and fiberglass in there, but think the term 'old school feel' is a pretty meaningless one. I really enjoyed the DNXMid and would have happily switched to it if the swingweight wasnt too high for me

That's a relief. Thanks. I have heard from others that it does feel quite comfy when you hit the sweetspot, which is supposed to be ample, and perhaps a little harsher when you mishit than with other Volkls. The tradeoff I guess of the new material - more solid frame but stiffer if you miss. I can live with that.

I think the DNX 10 MP was a bit off spec as the demo I hit seemed heavier than it's listed. Still, I didn't care for it but that's not to say it isn't a good racquet. I'm sure it works well for others. I would guess it's a good baseliner's weapon.

The "official" specs on the DNX 10 Mid look pretty close to the C10 Pro which is good. I loved that frame. Thinking I'd like to try sticking a leather grip on the DNX 10 mid if I like it enough to buy it and see what happens.

Randy

FitzRoy
11-20-2006, 01:54 PM
NoBadMojo - Thanks for the specs, those are more in line with what I was seeing at other retailers as opposed to TW. It seems that Tennis Warehouse listed the unstrung balance of the frame as a strung balance, which accounts for the variance I was seeing. In other words, issue solved. :)

BounceHitBounceHit
11-20-2006, 05:09 PM
aye Craig..did you find you had to remind yourself that you have one of these? ;O

how's my tricked up Gen1 treating you?

Mojo-nator!

I absolutely love the modified T10 Gen I off the ground and on the serve/overhead. However it feels a bit 'muted' to me at net, and perhaps not quite as nimble as the DNX 9. I can most definitely crank the serve with it-I was hitting 118mph on flat first balls and getting loads of 'kick' on seconds this past Saturday! ;)

I am leaning towards the DNX 9 at present, however. You may have seen that I learned to serve with it-I posted my newfound success in the original 'Yes, yet another.....DNX 9 Review!" thread.

Hope you are well,

Craig

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
11-20-2006, 05:19 PM
That's a relief. Thanks. I have heard from others that it does feel quite comfy when you hit the sweetspot, which is supposed to be ample, and perhaps a little harsher when you mishit than with other Volkls. The tradeoff I guess of the new material - more solid frame but stiffer if you miss. I can live with that.

I think the DNX 10 MP was a bit off spec as the demo I hit seemed heavier than it's listed. Still, I didn't care for it but that's not to say it isn't a good racquet. I'm sure it works well for others. I would guess it's a good baseliner's weapon.

The "official" specs on the DNX 10 Mid look pretty close to the C10 Pro which is good. I loved that frame. Thinking I'd like to try sticking a leather grip on the DNX 10 mid if I like it enough to buy it and see what happens.

Randy

Yes, the DNX 10 mid is a VERY comfy frame. Just a smidgeon too high a SW for yours truly. CC

NoBadMojo
11-20-2006, 05:31 PM

Randy

I think that is an accurate assessment Randy...the dnx gives you more of the juice in a still flexible package, but the downside is that misshits dont feel as good......you just never get the whole enchillada :O
I think they will refine the DNX material or how it is used, and the next generation of DNX frames will be even better

NoBadMojo
11-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Mojo-nator!

I absolutely love the modified T10 Gen I off the ground and on the serve/overhead. However it feels a bit 'muted' to me at net, and perhaps not quite as nimble as the DNX 9. I can most definitely crank the serve with it-I was hitting 118mph on flat first balls and getting loads of 'kick' on seconds this past Saturday! ;)

I am leaning towards the DNX 9 at present, however. You may have seen that I learned to serve with it-I posted my newfound success in the original 'Yes, yet another.....DNX 9 Review!" thread.

Hope you are well,

Craig

CC

cool beans big server..you hittin your spots w. that serve? deep in the box?

you will find that my new string setup (i think you are trying it?) makes the Gen1 hit less muted on all the shots including the volley (havent yet tried it in the DNX9). you've got a good problem here..you've got a couple frames you like which arent messin' w. your arm.

i am well thanks..hope for you as well..best of the season. Ed

BounceHitBounceHit
11-20-2006, 06:07 PM
cool beans big server..you hittin your spots w. that serve? deep in the box?

you will find that my new string setup (i think you are trying it?) makes the Gen1 hit less muted on all the shots including the volley (havent yet tried it in the DNX9). you've got a good problem here..you've got a couple frames you like which arent messin' w. your arm.

i am well thanks..hope for you as well..best of the season. Ed

Yep! ;) I am really pretty accurate with my serve. I just got some more the Klip Legend gut and Isospeed in the mail today. Will string one of each frame With it in the next few days and report back.

Londonfields
11-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Bought a dnx10MP recently but have only used it for four hours. Broke the string after about 1.5 hrs and then got it restrung w a cheap synthetic gut string strung @ 58lbs and it performs quite differently. It is definitely 'boardier' than before and I don't have nearly as much spin as in the first 1.5 hr. So I'm going with what was said before, it kind of needs to be strung a bit less tightly. I guess a thinner guage string would be nice too but that's for next time... Will go down to 55lbs perhaps and try to get a different string...

lcw
11-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Bought a dnx10MP recently but have only used it for four hours. Broke the string after about 1.5 hrs and then got it restrung w a cheap synthetic gut string strung @ 58lbs and it performs quite differently. It is definitely 'boardier' than before and I don't have nearly as much spin as in the first 1.5 hr. So I'm going with what was said before, it kind of needs to be strung a bit less tightly. I guess a thinner guage string would be nice too but that's for next time... Will go down to 55lbs perhaps and try to get a different string...

Right on and I plan to string one even lower @48lb.

Londonfields
11-22-2006, 09:18 AM
Let us know how you get on with the 48lbs one! To me it sounds like it would be a little too low.

I have to wait until I break the string until I adjust the tension. Not in the business (wish I was) of cutting up a perfectly good string just to change the tension when it takes 45 min of cycling through London to get to the shop. That would be £15 and 3 hours of cycling... :-)

Regards

proracketeer
03-08-2007, 01:31 AM
What about the C10 Comp-Series?
Is this the ancestor of all 10s?
Is it comparable to the other C10?

alfa164164
03-08-2007, 05:02 AM
Yes, the C10 Comps (still made in Germany if memory serves me correctly) were the best. The 93 sq. in., black with yellow "honey comb" paint scheme was really sharp too.

vkartikv
03-08-2007, 06:02 AM
The tour 10 gen II was the best for me. The dnx 10 mp is good but lacks the feel of the gen II. The gen II is the only volkl that plays more like a wilson in terms of stiffness in different areas..

TourTenor
03-08-2007, 12:13 PM
I have a hard time picking between the Gen 2 and the DNX 10 mid. I agree with vkartiv that the DNX 10 MP lacks some feel, expecially when compared to these two. Don't throw out the DNX 10 mid in your demo program if you have only tried the DNX 10 MP and didn't find it to your liking.

bad_call
03-08-2007, 12:20 PM
the T10 V Mid plays sweet for me. but then again that i haven't hit with the other 10 models. that being said i still think the V Mid is the best for my game.

vkartikv
03-08-2007, 03:50 PM
The dnx 10 mid doesnt appeal to me that much since the flex is so low. Can anyone tell me which parts of the racquet flex significantly? If it's the throat, then that's a big turnoff for me

db379
11-25-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm looking for a tour 10 gen 1 (interested in both mid and MP). Anyone?

bagung
11-25-2007, 01:08 PM
The dnx 10 mid doesnt appeal to me that much since the flex is so low. Can anyone tell me which parts of the racquet flex significantly? If it's the throat, then that's a big turnoff for me

the mid flex on the head , not the throat...

hoosierbr
11-25-2007, 02:08 PM
C10 Pro. A classic never dies.

lucu
11-25-2007, 05:51 PM
DNX 10 MID,
best of the best

Shashwat
11-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Ok probably a bad question but how do the V tour 10 MID and DNX 10 MID differ? I hit with my friend’s V 10 MID and loved it. Don’t have money right now but will probably trade my LM Prestige MID to get one. Can someone please compare these frames as I really like the V tour 10 and hear that the DNX MID is an upgrade.

Thanks!

bagung
11-25-2007, 08:52 PM
compare the dnx mid and v mid,
sweetspot is larger in dnx,
softer in dnx,
stiffer feel in v,
i found the dnx is much better than the v 10 mid...

louis netman
11-25-2007, 10:16 PM
C10 Pro...

ericsson
11-27-2007, 12:18 AM
Anyone has some input on the C 10 Comp and the C 7 comp? both midsize and according to some very sweet rackets...just never had the chance to hit with them.

OzNQc
12-11-2007, 03:56 AM
The T10 VE MP is great!
After some tinkering, the T10 VE MP became an excellent racquet!
Feel free to bash your opponents off the court with this bat!
Never seen and played with anything like it before!
Sad they are no longer in production!
Guess I gotta wait another 10+ yrs before it come back reincarnated as some other technology lol

OzNQc
12-11-2007, 03:58 AM
I had lots of fun with lead in different places with the T10 VE MP :)

Lindros13
12-11-2007, 06:39 AM
I've never tried any of the 10 series racquets that have been mentioned thus far, but I cast my vote for the BB10 as the best 10 series racquet. Does it qualify as a 10 series racquet?!?

(Can anyone compare the BB10 to some of these other 10 frames? Just curious, as always.) If I had to guess, I'd say that the BB10 has more power than all of these others that people mentioned in this thread, but again, I'm just guessing.

0d1n
12-11-2007, 07:02 AM
I've never tried any of the 10 series racquets that have been mentioned thus far, but I cast my vote for the BB10 as the best 10 series racquet. Does it qualify as a 10 series racquet?!?

(Can anyone compare the BB10 to some of these other 10 frames? Just curious, as always.) If I had to guess, I'd say that the BB10 has more power than all of these others that people mentioned in this thread, but again, I'm just guessing.

No it doesn't qualify, and no ... I haven't used it.

Lindros13
12-11-2007, 07:14 AM
No it doesn't qualify, and no ... I haven't used it.

-made by Volkl and uses the number 10 in its name...

"Yet, why am I so inferior?" says BB10. "How come I anticipated this response?!", remarks BB10.

0d1n
12-11-2007, 07:22 AM
-made by Volkl and uses the number 10 in its name...

"Yet, why am I so inferior?" says BB10. "How come I anticipated this response?!", remarks BB10.

Because "the 10 series" is generally used when talking about the Classic or Tour 10 rackets (now the DNX 10's also), which are VERY different rackets to the BB10.
Just have a look at the specs and you will find out the answer.

Dedans Penthouse
12-11-2007, 09:11 AM
C10 Pro. Solid. Headlight enough to allow for "leading up" in the head.

Quantum 10 I found a tad harsh. The Tour 10 (93 in.) was not a bad frame. Wasn't crazy about the MP (9 8 sq. in.) version. The Tour 10 Gen II (yellow frame) I found somewhat tinny (not solid, feel-wise). DNX10 imho would be a viable alternative to the original C10 Pro. Am not familiar with the V-Engine 10, only tinkered with the V-9 for about 10 minutes.

Shangri La
12-11-2007, 09:18 AM
C10 pro, the bestest.

Final_Match_Point
12-11-2007, 10:20 AM
I found between the DNX10 and the C10 MP I liked the DNX alot more. The stiffer upper hoop made serves feel alot better

SOY78
12-11-2007, 10:34 AM
DNX 10 mid and C10 pro tour mid are a tie for me then the Tour10 Gen II and then the C10 Classic mid plus.

TourTenor
12-11-2007, 11:13 AM
This depends on your swingtype and style of play ....
for me, 1. Tour10 Gen2 and, 2. DNX10 mid top the list.

Pushmaster
12-11-2007, 11:53 AM
My favorite was the T10 mid (1st generation). The C10 Pro 98 (fishnet cosmetics) would be my 2nd favorite. I've always wanted to try the C10 Pro 93 (fishnet), but they seem to be practically non-exsistant these days.

bad_call
12-11-2007, 03:55 PM

hey Lindros. the BB10 is a fun racquet but not quite up to the other 10 series i've tried. of the 2 10's i've tried, the T10V Mid is 1st and the C10 Pro 98 is 2nd.

Chauvalito
12-11-2007, 04:01 PM
C10 pro, and the C10 pro extended...i used the latter all throughout high school and then switched to the C10 pro when they discontinued the extended version.

Great sticks...I am currently also trying to get my hands on a couple of C10 pro tours. They belong to a relative who does not play much anymore. (I think)

ericsson
12-11-2007, 11:51 PM
I have to agree with Bad Call, the bb10 is a good and fun racket to hit with, but far away from a 10 serie IMO. It is too light and too powerful, they should of call it the BB 8

Bad Dog
12-12-2007, 03:29 AM
C10 Pro 98. Almost everything you could ever want in a racquet. Great feel, control, huge sweetspot, maneuverable, stable, arm-friendly – and over 12 ounces, but moves much lighter. What’s not to love?

Lindros13
12-12-2007, 04:58 AM
I have to agree with Bad Call, the bb10 is a good and fun racket to hit with, but far away from a 10 serie IMO. It is too light and too powerful, they should of call it the BB 8

Thanks for the feedback guys. Perhaps I should test out one of these true 10 series sticks one day since they all seem to get great feedback. But since I like the BB10 quite a bit, I may not be able to handle these (or at least generate equivalent power to what I'm used to - since they are more control oriented than mine). Sorry I can't join in the fun! - Sincerely, Lindros w/ his "BB9.5"

ericsson
12-12-2007, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Perhaps I should test out one of these true 10 series sticks one day since they all seem to get great feedback. But since I like the BB10 quite a bit, I may not be able to handle these (or at least generate equivalent power to what I'm used to - since they are more control oriented than mine). Sorry I can't join in the fun! - Sincerely, Lindros w/ his "BB9.5"

Lindros, if you like the bb10 and you play good with it then i doubt that you will like the classic 10's cos these stick are very underpowered compared to the BB10 which is kinda easy to play if you know what i mean, so it all comes down with what you like and playstyle, i play kinda flat so i need a hefty stick with low power that keep the ball in, i rather play much slower and hit in then faster and hit out...

dozu
09-21-2009, 06:53 PM
I have been a 5-year user of the mid Gen1.. absolutely fell in love with it after I realized that it allows me to go from point A to point B without adding topspin. This thing plus gut is just heaven, does everything well, and provide the most joy with all the feedback on the handle.. the 18x20 pattern gives the ultimate confidence to drill flat bombs, yet with gut it gives enough access to spin, and I never have problem drag those low mid court balls up over the net and dip them in the court.

have tried C10 pro before, but felt it had 2 much power.

just for kicks - bot a pair of DNX10 mid - they definitely swing heavier than the Gen1. only had a 30-min hit against the wall and I can already notice the difference.

The DNX material stiffens the frame a lot, which takes away the loosy goosy feel of a typical Volkl.... yet the stiffness is not uniform on the string bed.... it feels like certain areas are quite stiff, but others are not... plus the 16X19 pattern, it doesn't quite measure up to the Gen1 in the accuracy department.

Hard to tell from hitting against the wall, but I believe the stiffer DNX should have more power from the baseline

Will have to tinker with strings etc to make it perform the best, but as of now, I don't see it has the potential to replace my Gen1.

Perhaps when a racket maker reaches perfection, like the Gen1, any more 'improvement' becomes counter-productive.

RobFL
09-22-2009, 06:29 AM
Not the C10 Pro (98). But there are so few Pro Tours around that not a lot of people have hit with them. If I was playing in a grass court tournament (i.e. fast court), I'd drop my K 6.1 95 for a C10 Pro Tour.

Also have said many times that the Tour 10 Gen I and II's were the greatest Dubs frames of all time for me. The only time I ever played Dubs up to a 5.0 level. Service return and volleys were the best ever. But I have to optimize my racket selection now for har-tru singles, hence using the Wilsons.

dozu
09-22-2009, 06:33 AM
had another outing with the DNX mid - I have gut/nylon hybrid at 58 with 3 grams of lead at 3/9 positions.

still amazed how much heavier this thing swings than the Gen1 Mid.... it does give a plough thru feel from the stiffer DNX material and the swing weight. Accuracy is still quite good compared to the Gen1.

So these will be keepers in my colletion, but will mostly be for change of taste.... Next time will take the lead tape off, and drop the tension to 56 lbs.

I think I am sticking (no pun) with the Gen1.

jrod
09-22-2009, 06:35 AM
I currently play the PB10mid and absolutely love the frame.

However, after reading all the comments here, it's clear I need to pull out my C10 Pro Tour and C10 Comp and hit with them both again to see how they stack up against what I feel is as close to a holy grail frame for me as I've ever found.....stay tuned!

Rabbit
09-22-2009, 06:36 AM
IMO, the best 10 series frames from best to worst....

Tour 10 Gen 1 MP - my favorite frame of all of them. It was slightly stiffer in the head than the C10 Pro and a tad lighter. A great frame and one that I seriously regret selling.
C10 MP - my past/present/future stick. This is the defacto standard in Volkl feel. Great control, power, and comfort. Only thing I wish it did better was serve.
V10 MP - I liked this frame very much as well.
Tour 10 Gen II - didn't click with me as much as the Gen 1, but in retrospect, I wish I had given it more time.
Q10 Tour - not a fan of 18X20
Q10 - tinny and stiff

vsbabolat
09-22-2009, 06:57 AM
Rabbit, Have you had a chance to hit with the PB 10 Mid? This was the best Voelkl I have hit with since the Tour 10.

slice bh compliment
09-22-2009, 07:05 AM
Nice list, Rabbit. But the Quantums....do they even count? LOL!

vsbabolat: though I use a babolat Pure Storm LTD (which has the black and yellow soul of a c10, I agree. The PB 10 (mid and midplus) do the number 10 a lot of justice.

I also want to mention the old c10 comp 93 (black with straw yellow). THe precursor to the legendary c10 pro. Closest thing to a Max 200g ever. I feel lucky to have one newish one left.

Lastly, and Rabbit knows all about this, is the very rare c10 pro 98 with the v-throat and the painted one DNX 9 look. The coolest and most sought-after breed. Very few left in the wild, they exist mostly in captivity...in the collections of discreet hipster tennis players.

crosscourt
09-22-2009, 08:26 AM
The Tour 10 Gen 1 was my favourite. But the Delta Core Legend may well be better. I am still experimenting with it. The only thing I would say is that if you have a ohbh the fact that it is only 4pts headlight may not assist if you play on fast courts. On slower courts it may prove to be a monster.

cc

insiderman
09-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Best '10' released to the public...for sure the C10 Comp - C10 Pro a very close #2...
Best '10' never released to the public...TR4201 - magical for sure...

Rabbit
09-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Nice list, Rabbit. But the Quantums....do they even count? LOL!

Well Boris mandated that "his" racquet be a 10, so technically I guess they do.

Lastly, and Rabbit knows all about this, is the very rare c10 pro 98 with the v-throat and the painted one DNX 9 look. The coolest and most sought-after breed. Very few left in the wild, they exist mostly in captivity...in the collections of discreet hipster tennis players.

shoo doobie do wah....

Rabbit, Have you had a chance to hit with the PB 10 Mid? This was the best Voelkl I have hit with since the Tour 10.

I have not. I have one coming as a demo. I talked myself into ordering the DNX10 (second time around), BB11 Mid, and PB10 Mid. I started an earlier thread and will comment on it once I hit with all 3 with a comparison to the AG100 included as well.

Best '10' released to the public...for sure the C10 Comp - C10 Pro a very close #2...
Best '10' never released to the public...TR4201 - magical for sure...

TR420....what?

Lucy...you got some splainin to do......

What is this TR4201....I suspect a story there somewhere...

TourTenor
09-22-2009, 11:24 AM
I have not. I have one coming as a demo. I talked myself into ordering the DNX10 (second time around), BB11 Mid, and PB10 Mid. I started an earlier thread and will comment on it once I hit with all 3 with a comparison to the AG100 included as well.

I, for one, am all ears Rabbit ...

Most C10 devotees think these sticks do not have the feel of the C10. I found the PB10 mid to be very close to the ideal mix of control, spin, power and touch. I think that the string tension is also very important (for me a tad low to add serve power on this one).

I appreciate you dangling this carrot ... looking forward to your review.:cool:

jrod
09-22-2009, 11:26 AM

That is borderline pornagraphic language for Rabbit!

TourTenor
09-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Sheesh ... I guess finding PB10 mid nirvana has got you focused on other things!
All good with my mid ... about ready to cut out the strings and test a slightly higher tension (with the racquet JRod, the racquet). Going from 52lbs. to 54lbs. to see if I notice a slight difference.

jrod
09-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Sheesh ... I guess finding PB10 mid nirvana has got you focused on other things!
All good with my mid ... about ready to cut out the strings and test a slightly higher tension (with the racquet JRod, the racquet). Going from 52lbs. to 54lbs. to see if I notice a slight difference.

I'm using 53 lbs for my poly crosses and 55 lbs for my gut mains. I've realized that I like it tighter (the strings, TT , the strings) because of the slightly better control I get.

Ross K
09-22-2009, 12:41 PM
I've only played with 3 of these 10 series Volkl frames but my favorites are:

The C10 Pro - a wonderfully solid, topspin friendly racquet which has the most amazing balance and weighting and just swings so nice, it's such a shame I can't find the oomph I require on serve.

The DNX 10 mid - although it's early days yet, I can't believe how good this frame is. Brilliantly responsive from the b-line. I love the unique feel (firm, soft, crisp, clean - all rolled into one.) Lots of booming pop on groundies. Excellent touch. Love the solidity. Still getting accustomed to it but I'm already a big fan.

R.

Rabbit
09-22-2009, 12:42 PM
I, for one, am all ears Rabbit ...

Most C10 devotees think these sticks do not have the feel of the C10. I found the PB10 mid to be very close to the ideal mix of control, spin, power and touch. I think that the string tension is also very important (for me a tad low to add serve power on this one).

OK, here's the deal. Right now, looking at the 3 frames,

Volkl DNX10 Mid - already hit with, $109
Volkl PB10 Mid - $189
BB 11 Mid - $99The "I don't give a damn how much it costs" side of my brain is thinking....wow...that PB10 must be something else.

But, the "Yeah, but your wife does" side of my brain has retorted....same specs for each, can there be that much difference?

As much ballyhooing as the BB11 Mid got when it was $200, I'm expecting/hoping great things from it. I suspect that these are pretty much the same frames, but we'll see.

I will definitely post my results after I hit with them.

You now me well.....

SOY78
09-22-2009, 01:03 PM
DNX 10 mid and C10 pro tour mid are a tie for me then the Tour10 Gen II and then the C10 Classic mid plus.

Now I've changed my mind about the Volkl 10's played with over a couple of years now and here is my list starting with my favorite:

1. PB10mid
2. C10 Pro Tour
3. T10 Gen 1 mp
4. C10 Pro MP (fishnet pj)
5. T10 Gen 2 mp

For some reason the dnx10 mid I don't like anymore because of the heft of it (at least in my opinion), I just cannot play a long time with it.

TourTenor
09-22-2009, 01:29 PM

Volkl PB10 Mid - $189
BB 11 Mid - $99The "I don't give a damn how much it costs" side of my brain is thinking....wow...that PB10 must be something else.

But, the "Yeah, but your wife does" side of my brain has retorted....same specs for each, can there be that much difference?

As much ballyhooing as the BB11 Mid got when it was $200, I'm expecting/hoping great things from it. I suspect that these are pretty much the same frames, but we'll see.

Touche JRod ... funny stuff.

Rabbit,
I played all three of these sticks as my main swing. They are all excellent but each has subtle differences. If I could hit the ball blindfolded I think I would know each by the following ....
Power from high to low - BB11mid, DNX10 mid (close second), PB10mid
Feel/Touch from high to low - opposite of above
SW from high to low - DNX, BB, PB (more hl)
Spin Access from high to low - PB, BB, DNX (can't get as much racquet head speed with this one)
Volley from best to least - BB, DNX, PB
Baseline from best to least - PB (more pinpoint, deeper shots), DNX (more penetrating, less pinpoint, I tire more easily with) and BB (you can pound it with this one with good but less feeling of control)
Extension of Arm (new category!) from closest to least - PB, BB, DNX
Serve (Spin) most to least - PB, BB, DNX
Serve (Pop) most to least - BB, DNX, PB
Overall from best to least - PB, BB, DNX

Side note - the weight distribution in the hoop seems different for all of these and there is a difference in feel at ball contact. Overall, not huge differences but there nonetheless.

Extra note - I apologize in advance to JRod as some of these comments may "give rise" to questions about what sport I am referring to.

Fedace
09-22-2009, 02:03 PM
whatever racket that Kevin Kim is using...

slice bh compliment
09-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Well Boris mandated that "his" racquet be a 10, so technically I guess they do.

shoo doobie do wah.......

And now Boris wants HIS sticks to ... go to eleven. Is that a thinly veiled Spinal Tap reference from the big man?

~Sha-bop-bop-bopp~

Well, best of luck deciding, Rabbit. All good choices, man. Can't go wrong.

lilxjohnyy
09-22-2009, 09:11 PM
sorry for the jump to c7... but how does the c7 comp play compared to the 10 series?
Im interested in comparison between c-7 comp, PB mid, V Engine mid, DNX Mid, And BB Mid... seems like the last four in the list are widely available right now...

ipitythefool
09-23-2009, 02:53 AM
I have two DNX10 MPs that I bought from a touring ATP pro. Very nice control oriented racquets. (actually it appears this racq got the highest control rating by TW crew at 88 pts, next to 6.0 85) One is lead taped in throat with thick babolat tapes, the other in the upper handle. Both came with no replacement grip but only with a wrapped tournagrip.
I love the control I get, but what sucks is the grip shape. When I switch playing between racquets and re-visit the Volkl, grip shape just kills me. If I played exclusively with these, I bet it would be nice.

Can I put Wilson or Prince pallets on these Volkls? Is it something a non-tuner person like me could do easily?

dje31
09-23-2009, 03:59 AM
whatever racket that Kevin Kim is using...

I believe there was a thread going around during USO that said Kim was using a Tour 10 MP Gen 1 with a PB10 MP PJ.

ericsson
09-23-2009, 05:06 AM
I believe there was a thread going around during USO that said Kim was using a Tour 10 MP Gen 1 with a PB10 MP PJ.

That's correct, Kim always used a T10MP gen 1 under various pj's.

ericsson
09-23-2009, 05:08 AM
I have two DNX10 MPs that I bought from a touring ATP pro. Very nice control oriented racquets. (actually it appears this racq got the highest control rating by TW crew at 88 pts, next to 6.0 85) One is lead taped in throat with thick babolat tapes, the other in the upper handle. Both came with no replacement grip but only with a wrapped tournagrip.
I love the control I get, but what sucks is the grip shape. When I switch playing between racquets and re-visit the Volkl, grip shape just kills me. If I played exclusively with these, I bet it would be nice.

Can I put Wilson or Prince pallets on these Volkls? Is it something a non-tuner person like me could do easily?

Are you sure it's a real DNX10? the higher ranked pro's never used this one, Novak, Kevin Kim, Baker all used pj's...
or it must be a lower ranked pro...

jrod
09-23-2009, 06:07 AM
Agree on practically all points. Couple comments:

Volley from best to least - BB, DNX, PB
Partially agree...I like the PB better than the DNX for volleys, but you have to be aggressive with the stick. Also, the PB is more maneuverable than the DNX.

Serve (Pop) most to least - BB, DNX, PB
Since switch to the PB I've changed my service motion to the point where I am serving better than ever with this frame. I'd put it in a tie with the BB. I don't have enough experience serving with the DNX to comment here.

Side note - the weight distribution in the hoop seems different for all of these and there is a difference in feel at ball contact. Overall, not huge differences but there nonetheless.

The DNX felt like the weight was towards 12 o'clock. The PB also seems pretty polarized but swings much easier than the DNX. The BB has a more even distribution around the hoop.

Extra note - I apologize in advance to JRod as some of these comments may "give rise" to questions about what sport I am referring to.

Hmmmmm....?

ipitythefool
09-23-2009, 06:39 AM
Are you sure it's a real DNX10? the higher ranked pro's never used this one, Novak, Kevin Kim, Baker all used pj's...
or it must be a lower ranked pro...
Well I didnt say higher ranked pro! :) And yes it is a lead up retail inline DNX10MP.

TourTenor
09-23-2009, 06:44 AM
Agree on practically all points. Couple comments:

Partially agree...I like the PB better than the DNX for volleys, but you have to be aggressive with the stick. Also, the PB is more maneuverable than the DNX.

Agree with this. You reminded me that the DNX was more difficult to maneuver but with great putaway. Please amend my list to reflect this.

Since switch to the PB I've changed my service motion to the point where I am serving better than ever with this frame. I'd put it in a tie with the BB. I don't have enough experience serving with the DNX to comment here.

I haven't tried to change my motion but the BB brings pop easier and maybe the PB is marginally easier to spin.

The DNX felt like the weight was towards 12 o'clock. The PB also seems pretty polarized but swings much easier than the DNX. The BB has a more even distribution around the hoop.

That seems right to me, as well.

Hmmmmm....?
All right enough of the off-color internet ribbing!

dje31
09-23-2009, 06:45 AM
Still waiting for details about the mysterious TR4201...

Rabbit
09-23-2009, 08:02 AM
IMO, the best 10 series frames from best to worst....

Tour 10 Gen 1 MP - my favorite frame of all of them. It was slightly stiffer in the head than the C10 Pro and a tad lighter. A great frame and one that I seriously regret selling.
C10 MP - my past/present/future stick. This is the defacto standard in Volkl feel. Great control, power, and comfort. Only thing I wish it did better was serve.
V10 MP - I liked this frame very much as well.
Tour 10 Gen II - didn't click with me as much as the Gen 1, but in retrospect, I wish I had given it more time.
Q10 Tour - not a fan of 18X20
Q10 - tinny and stiff

Well, I'll have to respectfully disagree with this poster. I played last night and whatever was wrong with the serve seems to have been fixed. I served bombs last night, better than with the AG100.

I also went through a set of gut which was about as quick as I ever have, save for a set of Global Gut TW sent me to test.

Ross K
09-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Well, I'll have to respectfully disagree with this poster. I played last night and whatever was wrong with the serve seems to have been fixed. I served bombs last night, better than with the AG100.

I also went through a set of gut which was about as quick as I ever have, save for a set of Global Gut TW sent me to test.

What was different?!... What did you do?!... Better than the AG 100 on serve (which is the frame that has impressed me more than any other in this area in the last year or 2)?!... Rabbit, if you're talking about the C10 pro... just what happened out there?! :smile:

R.

diehard6.0
09-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Tour 10 VE MP for me.
Best doubles racquet.

lilxjohnyy
09-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Tour Tenor... so if you had to rank those three... what would be your order?? Also again, any info on the C-7 comp midsize compared to these frames would be great

TourTenor
09-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Tour Tenor... so if you had to rank those three... what would be your order?? Also again, any info on the C-7 comp midsize compared to these frames would be great
LJohnny ... I actually gave an overall rating from highest to lowest of PB, BB, DNX (see post #94). I emphasize that this is how I rate them based on my game. If you want the most pop go with the BB. If you feel like you can handle the sw after 2 hours, you may consider the DNX. They are all excellent sticks. For my money the PB is the best all around. The differences are not vast, they are all full swing, make your own power sticks. I think it was JRod that points out that the PB10 mid allows you to be very aggressive. I concur with that.
Sorry, no experience with the C7.

jrod
09-23-2009, 12:47 PM
...I think it was JRod that points out that the PB10 mid allows you to be very aggressive...

I think I originally said that the stick plays better when you are aggressive with it. It does seem to have somewhat better control than both the BB and DNX when playing aggressively, although this observation is probably player specific.

lilxjohnyy
09-23-2009, 08:23 PM
anyone used the V Engine and can compare it to the PB and BB ?

Rabbit
09-24-2009, 03:57 AM
What was different?!... What did you do?!... Better than the AG 100 on serve (which is the frame that has impressed me more than any other in this area in the last year or 2)?!... Rabbit, if you're talking about the C10 pro... just what happened out there?! :smile:

R.

Well..I guess that's the question that has plagued mankind for years. ;)

In all seriousness, I do remember warming up and when taking serves just clicking that night. Anyway, I was getting more on my serves with the C10. I think that playing with gut is a big help as well.

Ross K
09-24-2009, 04:11 AM
Well..I guess that's the question that has plagued mankind for years. ;)

In all seriousness, I do remember warming up and when taking serves just clicking that night. Anyway, I was getting more on my serves with the C10. I think that playing with gut is a big help as well.

I've only ever had 1 session where I was just totally firing away on serve with the C10 Pro - and I'm not quite sure why either... or did I just dream it!?! :confused::grin:

R.

BTW, Rabbit, Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the frames you're soon to be testing, and especially the DNX 10 mid - a racquet I started off really liking, but I have slightly tailed off in my enthusiasm in just the last few days.

Rabbit
09-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Still waiting for details about the mysterious TR4201...

I think...and I could be wrong...that the TR4201 was the layup that Jiri Novak used. The racquet he used was actually a mistake when Volkl was working with him. It was a couple of MM's thicker than the normal C10. Novak hit with it, loved it, and mandated they make more mistakes just like it.

crosscourt
09-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Since you mention Jiri Novak, what happened to him? He seemed like a good guy and then disappeared.

My feeling is that if he was on tour now he'd be playing the Delta Core Legend that crosscourt was talking about earlier in this thread.

dje31
09-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks, Rabbit...I was beginning to think we just had a bunch of tease-types around here.

lilxjohnyy
09-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Hey tour tenor sorry for the millions of questions but which of the 3 frames you reviewed plays the stiffest. Im assuming BB11 since it is the most powerful for you.

Rabbit
09-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Since you mention Jiri Novak, what happened to him? He seemed like a good guy and then disappeared.

My feeling is that if he was on tour now he'd be playing the Delta Core Legend that crosscourt was talking about earlier in this thread.

I don't think he ever officially retired, but now splits his time between Florida and the Czech Republic.

Thanks, Rabbit...I was beginning to think we just had a bunch of tease-types around here.

We do...I didn't mention the most exciting secret about the frame.... ;)

matchmaker
09-25-2009, 06:10 AM
Ericsson,

Have you already playtested the PB10 mid?

TourTenor
09-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Hey tour tenor sorry for the millions of questions but which of the 3 frames you reviewed plays the stiffest. Im assuming BB11 since it is the most powerful for you.
Yo Johny, The BB and the DNX are both stiffer feeling than the PB. I can remember thinking that the DNX (I really haven't used mine for about two years) had a bit of a collared feel to it (meaning that I perceived that there was added stiffness in the collar of the hoop). The BB has a slightly less stiff feel than the DNX, a little more subtle but stiff feel ... a bit more even distribution. The PB is the least stiff and most hl of the three. Still it feels substantial even on service returns. Hope that makes sense and helps.

ericsson
09-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Ericsson,

Have you already playtested the PB10 mid?

Hi MM, not really, only briefly, i dont hv a lot of time for the moment (little Ericsson is taking all my time for the moment)
as soon i hv more time i will take this beast to court :)
i am almost out of grommets for my current T10's so hopefully i can make the switch soon.

witit
09-25-2009, 09:12 PM
I have been in love with the T10G1 Mid for a long time. I keep messing around with the Wilsons K90, PS85, KPS88, ... While I like them, the T10G1 is more forgiving and a lot better for my arm. The Volkl feel is also hard to beat.

I tried the DNX 10 Mid but it was a while back when my strokes were still so so. Only thing I remember was while it got good power, it felt stiffer than the T10G1 and did not have the Volkl feel. Also tried C10 Pro and C10 Pro Tour but was not really impressed with them much at the time. I would like to try them again though since I now hit the ball a lot cleaner.

I demoed the BB10 Mid and PB10 Mid. They were OK but I did not feel they were better than the T10G1. They had more power but I was having difficulties keeping the ball in unless I put more spin on (I usually hit pretty flat). Perhaps due to 18x20 vs 16x19 string pattern and the low tension strings that were on the demos.

Anyhow, fast forward. I just got the T10 VE Mid today from a TW fella. It feels quite a bit lighter than the T10G1. Feel wise they are about the same. It is just lighter. It matches my timing really well. I can whip the ball a lot faster. My serve has better pop. It just feels effortless to swing. The T10G1 is still great but I guess I have found my new love. :)

Volkl makes great racquets in my opinion. Somehow not many people use them. Very few players in my area know about them. I just wish the grip shape would be more like the Wilsons'.

TourTenor
09-26-2009, 08:54 AM
I demoed the BB10 Mid and PB10 Mid. They were OK but I did not feel they were better than the T10G1. They had more power but I was having difficulties keeping the ball in unless I put more spin on (I usually hit pretty flat). Perhaps due to 18x20 vs 16x19 string pattern and the low tension strings that were on the demos.

Witit, Thanks for your review but I want to point out that the PB10mid is a 16X19. I am not familiar with a BB10mid but in case you are referring to the BB11mid, that one is also a 16X19. Happy hitting.

witit
09-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Witit, Thanks for your review but I want to point out that the PB10mid is a 16X19. I am not familiar with a BB10mid but in case you are referring to the BB11mid, that one is also a 16X19. Happy hitting.

Yup, the PB10 Mid and BB11 Mid (my mistake, there is no BB10 Mid) are 16x19. But the T10G1 Mid is 18x20. Hence I get more control and flatter ball with the T10G1.

Cheers. ;-)

lilxjohnyy
09-26-2009, 09:39 PM
how does the Volkl compare to the mg prestige mid? im think a little softer while the new 10 series have more spin the mg but the older ones like the v-engine probably around the same. thanks

Fedace
09-26-2009, 10:26 PM

I thought he was using C10 pro from few years back ??

slice bh compliment
09-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Yo Johny, The BB and the DNX are both stiffer feeling than the PB..... The PB is the least stiff and most hl of the three. ....

Good call. I felt this, too, which is probably the reason I like the PB. It's more like the Volkl 10s from the 90s (C 10 comp, C 10 pro).

jrod
09-27-2009, 03:26 AM
Good call. I felt this, too, which is probably the reason I like the PB. It's more like the Volkl 10s from the 90s (C 10 comp, C 10 pro).

Right. It does hit like them, only with less SW. How did they manage this?

Treebeard
09-27-2009, 05:29 AM
how does the Volkl compare to the mg prestige mid? im think a little softer while the new 10 series have more spin the mg but the older ones like the v-engine probably around the same. thanks

The only thing I can offer here is that I was playing with the MG Prestige Pro.
In comparison to that, I find the PB 10 Mid+ (this is just my take):
> More feel (a lot) for touch shots
> Far more comfortable on off-center hits (I definitely felt frame shock when I mis-hit on the MGPP)
> I seem to hit better angle with the PB
> I normally have a 2-handed backhand but also hit 1-handed slice. I found the slice was more precise.
> Serve not quite as heavy as the MGPP but still very accurate
> The PB seems to move through the air better than the MGPP
> Directional control was about on a par
> Although not bad I wish the cosmetics on the PB were a bit nicer but then again all the MGs (Prestiges, Radical, Extreme, Instinct) look alike just colors are different.

I sold my 2 MGPP and now have 2 PB 10 Mid+s

RobFL
09-27-2009, 07:27 AM
Hey Witit, enjoyed your comments. Volkl is my first love, have played probably 12 models over the years, still have T10 Gen I Mid & MP in pristine shape, but if I was still playing fast hard courts, the C10 Pro Tour (93) would be my weapon of choice, best overall performance to me of the vintage Volkls. I see you flirt with Wilsons and I'm not a Wilson proponent, but I have to admit the K 6.1 95 18x20 is the best one i've played with and my #1 stick right now for har-tru singles. If you ever give one more Wilson a try, hit this one. Not as popular as the 16x18 but all the spin you want with excellent control and depth consistency. Plus the more penetrating ball vs. Volkl, needless to say.

witit
09-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Hey Witit, enjoyed your comments. Volkl is my first love, have played probably 12 models over the years, still have T10 Gen I Mid & MP in pristine shape, but if I was still playing fast hard courts, the C10 Pro Tour (93) would be my weapon of choice, best overall performance to me of the vintage Volkls. I see you flirt with Wilsons and I'm not a Wilson proponent, but I have to admit the K 6.1 95 18x20 is the best one i've played with and my #1 stick right now for har-tru singles. If you ever give one more Wilson a try, hit this one. Not as popular as the 16x18 but all the spin you want with excellent control and depth consistency. Plus the more penetrating ball vs. Volkl, needless to say.

Thanks, Rob. Actually I still have the C10 Pro Tour but I left it in Bangkok for my brother. The last time I hit with it was almost 2 years ago. I remember it produced heavier ball than the T10G1 with a bit stiffer and hefty feel. I really want to give it a try again now that I hit the ball a lot cleaner.

I think I have tried almost if not all of the Volkl 10 series. The only one that I have never hit with is the T10G2. My first racquet was the Quantum 10 Tour. I picked it up after I found out that Boris Becker owns part of Volkl and he was my idol when I was young. It was a difficult racquet to use at that time for a starter. I almost gave up tennis. :D

Then shortly after, I upgraded my stick to the T10VE MP. With my young tennis experience at that time, I could not tell the difference much but I thought it was a little easier to play with. Probably due to less dense string pattern. Then I thought I was good enough to use a mid size recquet so I picked up the DNX10 Mid, C10 Pro (a MP), C10 Pro Tour and T10G1 Mid. I also flirt with the N90, K90, PS85, RDX500 Mid, RDS001 Mid, Redondo Mid and many others over the years.

I sold most of them except the T10G1 since I seem to play best with it. I was using the K90 for the past few months. My friends said my ball with the K90 had more pace and heavier than from the T10G1. While I like it, it was destroying my arm. I had my first tennis elbow for the first time in 4 years of tennis. If I miss the sweet spot, the K90 will just punish me, not very forgiving like the Volkl at all.

Everyone seems to like the new PB10 Mid a lot. I also enjoyed hitting with it when I demoed it a few months back. But it is just not that much better/different to justify its cost right now yet. I may pick it up later on.

I will check out the K95 as you suggested. Not sure how stiff it is but I think flexy racquet seems to suit me better. Now I am pretty happy with the T10VE Mid that I just got. It swings lighter like a midplus but stable enough to handle pace. I think my racquet speed is a bit faster with it and I can just hit all out without worrying that the ball will sail long.

Sorry for my long (uninteresting) story guys. I just want to share my Volkl experience. No matter how many racquets I tried, I always come back to the Volkls. I am glad there are still many Volkl fans around.

lilxjohnyy
09-28-2009, 05:51 PM
If i prefer rackets of a stiffer feel... not like Pure drive(70) but more from 63-68... (didnt really like the feel of redondo mid)... is the Volkl series not for me? Suggestions for volkl 10 series that has a slightly stiffer feel?

dParis
09-28-2009, 06:05 PM
If i prefer rackets of a stiffer feel... not like Pure drive(70) but more from 63-68... (didnt really like the feel of redondo mid)... is the Volkl series not for me? Suggestions for volkl 10 series that has a slightly stiffer feel?
From what I read here, the DNX 10 has the stiffest feel in the series. What about consideration to the 9 or 8 series?

slice bh compliment
09-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Right. It does hit like them, only with less SW. How did they manage this?

I do not know, but here is my theory: I think it is the German pixie dust they use in the layup. They use it in the tiny little spaces between the resin and the carbon fibers. Also, kisses from the St. Pauli girl. I hear she kisses each frame personally.

TheLama
09-30-2009, 11:54 PM
I've played with every Volkl "Ten" version, dating back to it's Tournament Pro predecessor, and I was never happy until they came out with 93in2 18x20 string beds.

I always found the 98in2 to lack enough plow through for me and the 16x19 93in2 versions were too difficult to control. The Tour 10 Mid was the first stick that I was happy with, but it required a tremendous amount of customization, and was not still part of my arm. Then, the Tour 10 V-Engine came out, and it didn't take 5 minutes to love it; it was an extension of my arm. In addition, all of my practice partners were 21-24 year old 6.0-6.5 players, and were stunned at the immediate improvement in some of my shots. I felt like a player again at 45 years old. The DNX 10 only made me hoard V-E's. Although I could short-hop balls without any footwork--a product of nano tech--my other shots lacked control, and the DNX 10 Mid played like a more solid shot producing C 10 Pro Tour. However, after 3-4 weeks, I became accustomed to the DNX 10, and once you go nano, you can never go back. Luckily, Volkl realized that the T10 V-E, which didn't sell well, was still a better playing stick, so they designed the PB 10, which is basically a nano version of the T10 V-E, but with a 16x19 string bed that still allows for V-E like control, but can also provide more spin from the more open string bed.

Rabbit
10-01-2009, 12:51 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^
Funny stuff, no doubt.

slice bh compliment
10-01-2009, 01:04 AM
... all of my practice partners were 21-24 year old 6.0-6.5 players, and were stunned at the immediate improvement in some of my shots. I felt like a player again at 45 years old. ....I could short-hop balls without any footwork--....

http://rlv.zcache.com/big_hitter_the_lama_tshirt-p235812973306786985tdq8_525.jpg

jrod
10-01-2009, 03:21 AM
.....and once you go nano, you can never go back. Luckily, Volkl realized that the T10 V-E, which didn't sell well, was still a better playing stick, so they designed the PB 10, which is basically a nano version of the T10 V-E, but with a 16x19 string bed that still allows for V-E like control, but can also provide more spin from the more open string bed.

hmmmmm....this sounds familiar.

TheLama = Rush???

slice bh compliment
10-01-2009, 06:20 AM
hmmmmm....this sounds familiar.

TheLama = Rush???

Well, whatever his name is, he's got good taste. I feel the same about the new PB10 mid and midplus. Nice improvement over the DNXs.

jrod
10-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Well, whatever his name is, he's got good taste. I feel the same about the new PB10 mid and midplus. Nice improvement over the DNXs.

If he's who I think he is, he knows a few things about Volkl frames and the game. If he's not who I think he is, he still knows alot.

slice bh compliment
10-01-2009, 04:33 PM
So you think the Lama is NBMJ? Or Rush?

jrod
10-01-2009, 06:11 PM
So you think the Lama is NBMJ? Or Rush?

Rush. The language markers are extremely compelling and suggest a strong match.

tball
10-02-2009, 05:38 PM
From what I read here, the DNX 10 has the stiffest feel in the series. What about consideration to the 9 or 8 series?

Volkl C7 Pro C10 Pro Quantum 10 Tour Quantum 8 Quantum V-1 Midplus Tour 8 Tour 9
Weight: 12.1 12.2 11.5 10.3 10.6 10.9 11.3
Swingweight: 319 323 306 318 308 307 300
Stiffness: 62 63 64 65 65 70 68

Tour 9 is definetly the stiffest. By the spec and by the feel.
Tour 8 is interesting, because by the spec it is stiffer than DNX 10 (stiffness 58), but in reality, it feels softer than DNX 10.

TourTenor
10-06-2009, 01:48 PM

Volkl PB10 Mid - $189

Hey Rabbit ... did you demo the three sticks? What did you find:?::?::?:
cheers,
TTenor

jrod
10-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Hey Rabbit ... did you demo the three sticks? What did you find:?::?::?:
cheers,
TTenor

Yeah, come on Rabbit! You need to get hoppin. If those reviews ain't posted by sun-up I'm callin Mr. McGregor.

Rabbit
10-07-2009, 04:29 AM
Guys, I apologize. It has been raining here non-stop and my daughter's soccer schedule has taken a bite out of my court time as well. I have yet to hit with the sticks and based on the weather outlook, I may have to send the dadgum things back before I get a chance to hit with them.

TourTenor
10-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Guys, I apologize. It has been raining here non-stop and my daughter's soccer schedule has taken a bite out of my court time as well. I have yet to hit with the sticks and based on the weather outlook, I may have to send the dadgum things back before I get a chance to hit with them.
What? I know rabbits like sunshine but this one calls for some real "out of the hutch" thinking ....

You can't let a chance to compare these go. You wouldn't just ship the best tasting carrots back if you weren't feeling well, would you? What about testing at an indoor venue? Or, perhaps you could appeal to the Talk Tennis powers and explain that the weather hasn't cooperated and you need another week (I know, slim chance).

Seriously, I am truly interested in your opinion on these, given your long term history with your favored Volkl stick.:cool:

Rabbit
10-07-2009, 09:23 AM
What? I know rabbits like sunshine but this one calls for some real "out of the hutch" thinking ....

You can't let a chance to compare these go. You wouldn't just ship the best tasting carrots back if you weren't feeling well, would you? What about testing at an indoor venue? Or, perhaps you could appeal to the Talk Tennis powers and explain that the weather hasn't cooperated and you need another week (I know, slim chance).

Seriously, I am truly interested in your opinion on these, given your long term history with your favored Volkl stick.:cool:

I will try this weekend, I promise. It's just been dismal around here.

jayserinos99
10-07-2009, 11:37 AM
I do not know, but here is my theory: I think it is the German pixie dust they use in the layup. They use it in the tiny little spaces between the resin and the carbon fibers. Also, kisses from the St. Pauli girl. I hear she kisses each frame personally.

LOL Whatever they use, the pb10 feel is addictive!

TheLama
10-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Rush. The language markers are extremely compelling and suggest a strong match.

Thanks for the comparison. Volkl users tend to think alike..."Birds of a Feather..."

Rabbit
10-07-2009, 12:28 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^

I was just thinking that very thing.

schu47
10-07-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm a big fan of the Volkl 10s, too. My favorite is the V-Engine mid.

Love the racquet, hate the paint job, so managed to get another one, a prototype, identical except that it is simpler, cooler -- eliminates all those garish, yellow graphics, except for two very understated yellow swooshes. Here are some photos:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_R75QH658YRs/SqWVcja3XgI/AAAAAAAAbkI/cGSwxKIA1ps/s800/P9071030.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_R75QH658YRs/SqWVgHrErjI/AAAAAAAAbkY/IseeNQoZu1o/s800/P9071037.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_R75QH658YRs/SqWVhXI_jGI/AAAAAAAAbkg/CUWn6pT5rSY/s800/P9071039.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_R75QH658YRs/SqWVfeBNYyI/AAAAAAAAbkU/QQMXuyMr-XU/s800/P9071034.JPG

Fedace
10-07-2009, 01:31 PM
I like V-1 powerbridge.. best racket ever

ipitythefool
10-07-2009, 02:24 PM

Love the racquet, hate the paint job, so managed to get another one, a prototype, identical except that it is simpler, cooler -- eliminates all those garish, yellow graphics, except for two very understated yellow swooshes. Here are some photos:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_R75QH658YRs/SqWVcja3XgI/AAAAAAAAbkI/cGSwxKIA1ps/s800/P9071030.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_R75QH658YRs/SqWVgHrErjI/AAAAAAAAbkY/IseeNQoZu1o/s800/P9071037.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_R75QH658YRs/SqWVhXI_jGI/AAAAAAAAbkg/CUWn6pT5rSY/s800/P9071039.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_R75QH658YRs/SqWVfeBNYyI/AAAAAAAAbkU/QQMXuyMr-XU/s800/P9071034.JPG

Hey Schu47-
May I ask, what makes you like this V-engine mid? Can you please tell more about the playing characteristics? Perhaps a comparison to a stick I would know, such as a PC/PT600..

Because, there is a new one for sale at a tennis shop in where I live for quite a reasonable price. And every time I would want to buy and string it up..I change my mind, thinking it will be a one time wonder lol...

TheLama
10-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Hey Schu47-
May I ask, what makes you like this V-engine mid? Can you please tell more about the playing characteristics? Perhaps a comparison to a stick I would know, such as a PC/PT600..

Because, there is a new one for sale at a tennis shop in where I live for quite a reasonable price. And every time I would want to buy and string it up..I change my mind, thinking it will be a one time wonder lol...

The T10 VE was an awesome stick, and my favorite non-nano Volkl in since 1993.

If you don't need the nano technology: the necessity to take balls on the rise from the baseline, alla Agassi/Federer and you don't need the extra spin from a 16/19 string bed; plus, you prefer the greater feel at the net, then buy it, since the new PB 10 is just a nano T10 VE.

matchmaker
10-07-2009, 07:41 PM

A very good racquet, I also like the prototype version a lot more. I am actually regretting selling it.

I think it plays a lot like an easier to swing PC600, but also has less power and plow through.

schu47
10-07-2009, 09:09 PM
A very good racquet, I also like the prototype version a lot more. I am actually regretting selling it.

I think it plays a lot like an easier to swing PC600, but also has less power and plow through.

Well, if I helps, matchmaker, I love it and am very happy to have it.

I haven't played the PC600, but I like the Tour 10 VE mid because it is maneuverable, has a bit of pop, a very consistent response, and the elongated V-Engine face just seems to have more surface than most mids. It seems to play larger than a mid even though it is a mid, if that makes any sense.

ericsson
10-07-2009, 10:51 PM

Well i think the V-engine mid is one of Volkls best paintjobs IMHO, i really like the colours on that one...

TheLama
10-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Well i think the V-engine mid is one of Volkls best paintjobs IMHO, i really like the colours on that one...

AGREED.....it is the true Volkl black/yellow.

The prototype looks like a clean, cold weapon. I have two, and used to use them only for effect. I do the same with my Stealth PB 10. They always produce a reaction.

jayserinos99
10-08-2009, 12:01 AM
^ How does one acquire a stealth PB10?

matchmaker
10-08-2009, 01:44 AM
Well, if I helps, matchmaker, I love it and am very happy to have it.
I haven't played the PC600, but I like the Tour 10 VE mid because it is maneuverable, has a bit of pop, a very consistent response, and the elongated V-Engine face just seems to have more surface than most mids. It seems to play larger than a mid even though it is a mid, if that makes any sense.

Well, I guess I am happy for you... :( I still regret selling mine, because I thought it was a very special frame.

The VE mid was indeed quite maneuverable. To the extent that even after adding a substantial amount of lead tape to the hoop (about 10 grams) it still swung as easily as any other frame I've hit with. The V-engine and its longer mains were a very interesting feature. OTOneH side it made the racquet quite string sensitive in my experience, because if I did not string it at 58 lbs, the balls seemed to slide off the stringbed. OTOtherH side the sweetspot was very long as a consequence.
The one negative point was that the sweetspot, though long, was quite narrow width-wise.
I felt it had a little pop, but was still quite low powered.
I liked it more than the C10 pro, which has a lot more power, but has this vague "feel" in its control, unlike the VE, which could place the ball on a dime.

You see, colours are a personal thing. I much preferred the classy look of the prototype version. The yellow letters were too gaudy for my taste. I think the new PB10 looks quite nice, though. Some day I will have to take it for a playtest, but for the moment I have two PC600s that are still in quite a good state, so it will be something for the long run.

ipitythefool
10-08-2009, 05:18 AM

If you don't need the nano technology: the necessity to take balls on the rise from the baseline, alla Agassi/Federer and you don't need the extra spin from a 16/19 string bed; plus, you prefer the greater feel at the net, then buy it, since the new PB 10 is just a nano T10 VE.

Well I think this T10 Vengine mid will need a ton of lead to bring some plough through and solidness of a PC600. Actually I play with a pro stock PT10 with lead in upper hoop, so this Volkl will feel like a toy in comparison.

And my opinion in regards to 16x19 vs. 18x20..the former is NOT spinnier than the latter. Meaning, 16x19 frame does not create more spin/rpm on the ball. It is all in the head speed generated. However, IMO, 16x19s (or open patterns vs. 18x20s) will create a higher trajectory, overall. But again....it is all in the technique. I can create all the angles and spin I want with my PC600 or a PT57a strung with Bab VS x alu rough...just my opinion :)

If there are more T10 Vengine mid aficionados out there and if this is any hard to find racquet, or if anyone is interested, I can gladly purchase from my tennis shop and send it out, including ship from Europe, for $110. (I am also open to any trade ideas)

jrod
10-08-2009, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the comparison. Volkl users tend to think alike..."Birds of a Feather..."

Not only do they think alike, but they sound alike as well....

And these little tidbits from the TW racquet reviews...

DNX10 MID

Comments: This GREAT upgrade from the Tour Ten V-Engine allows you to hit both high balls and low short-hopped balls with the same ease of swing, without adjusting your follow-through, backswing or footwork. It takes a little time to get accustomed to the nano tech, but once you do, you will not want to go back to regular graphite. A less accomplished player can hit shots that he/she could not be hit with a standard graphite frame. Additionally, the 16 mains allows the ball to be hit with tremendous spin, but the DNX adds stability on off center hits and you can still hold your shots when hitting big or flat. Once you become accustomed, this stick feels like a piece of your arm, and makes-up for poor footwork.
String type and tension: Klip Excellerator 16 58m/55c
Headsize: 93
NTRP Rating: 6.5

V10 V-E

Comments: This is the player's version of the Catapult V-1. It is real easy on the arm, and there is no mushy-ness from this frame, as the ball comes off with a lot of power, but it still holds onto the ball, having a long dwell time. There is also good plow-through with this stick, and it provides for a lot of spin. This was originally a European sold model only. It really plays like a nano tech frame--DNX as it is called by Volkl/Boris Becker--but it is soft like a traditional one, and at this price, it is quite a bargain.
String type and tension: Klip Venom 66Mains/63Crosses
Headsize: 93in2

PB10mid
Comments: The feel is like a "DNX" Tour 10 V-Engine, as the Power Bridge replaces the stiffness of the V-Bridge. The PB 10 Mid has the same feel, but with better playability--like mixing the DNX 10 stability and shot-making with the T 10 V-E feel. The 16x19 string pattern hits with a lot of spin, without the longer V-E mains, and slice backhands really skid on a hard court. Additionally, although the string bed is more open, flat balls don't fly. It is less harsh then the DNX 10, but controls the ball like the T-10 V-E, and you can really feel the ball while volleying. Lastly, unlike the T-10 V-E, which required highly developed and aggressive footwork to hit short-hopped groundies in the court--much less deep--and to hit high balls in without hooding the racquet over the ball to keep it from flying, the PB 10 93in2 handles these shots without the necessary hard work or any change in stroke production. Play with this stick and you can short-hop groundies like Federer, but handle Nadal's high balls even better than the Swiss can! Bottom Line: If you have real strokes, you can play Mozart with this stick, and it puts the Prestige and Fed's K-Factor to shame. This is Volkl's new "power wand"!
String type and tension: Venom/Excellerator 17 gauge@58/56lbs

DukeLit
10-08-2009, 08:50 AM
If there are more T10 Vengine mid aficionados out there and if this is any hard to find racquet, or if anyone is interested, I can gladly purchase from my tennis shop and send it out, including ship from Europe, for $110. (I am also open to any trade ideas)

I might be interested in this (and I'm in Europe already). Can you shoot me an email? It's jei4 (at) duke (dot) edu

Thanks!

TheLama
10-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Well I think this T10 Vengine mid will need a ton of lead to bring some plough through and solidness of a PC600. Actually I play with a pro stock PT10 with lead in upper hoop, so this Volkl will feel like a toy in comparison.

And my opinion in regards to 16x19 vs. 18x20..the former is NOT spinnier than the latter. Meaning, 16x19 frame does not create more spin/rpm on the ball. It is all in the head speed generated. However, IMO, 16x19s (or open patterns vs. 18x20s) will create a higher trajectory, overall. But again....it is all in the technique. I can create all the angles and spin I want with my PC600 or a PT57a strung with Bab VS x alu rough...just my opinion :)

I was not making a general statement regarding string beds; it was a direct comparison between what is accomplished with the string beds from the PB 10 vs the T10 V-E.

You may believe that there is no difference, and that it is all due to racquet head speed, but the Volkl designers would disagree with you, because my description was precisely what they were attempting to accomplish. As a T10 V-E lover, I can also tell you that it requires greater racquet head speed to produce the same amount of spin. Volkl realized that the upgrade from the T10 V-E to the DNX 10 was not quite the perfect upgrade for which they are famous for every few years. Secondly, sales of 93in2 18x20 string bed frames do not sell well, but, 93in2 16x19 string bed frames do sell well[for Volkl].

Additionally, as a non-nano tech frame, the V-E requires more lead tape to produce the same results. Therefore, taking deep balls on the rise cannot be produced by flicking the racquet head alla Federer/Agassi, unless you do a lot of wrist curls with heavy dumb bells and frequently engage in dead lifts and power cleans.

The PB 10 also drives through flat balls very similarly as the V-E, even though the string bed is more open--the ball doesn't fly like it does with the BB 11 Mid[BTW, if you play with this stick, BB/Volkl recommends using only 17 gauge or thinner to keep the ball from flying], which is due to the design of the frame--soft in some areas and stiffer nano carbon DNX in others.

The PB 10 allows you to do what a traditional frame does not, at least with the same amount of effort, need for superior technique, and at a lighter weight. The one caveat is that the V-E does present more feel with touch shots and volleys, for the obvious reasons.

Regarding the comparison to the PC600, I can offer no information. I could never play with Head, even going back to the Red Head, back in the day, nor the original Blue Head--which was designed by a blood relative. They were and are, too dead in feel for me--to each is own.

TheLama
10-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Not only do they think alike, but they sound alike as well....

And these little tidbits from the TW racquet reviews...

DNX10 MID

V10 V-E

PB10mid

Are you certain that Rush-n-Crush from the forum is the same as Rush from the Players Feedback?

TheLama
10-09-2009, 04:21 PM
^ How does one acquire a stealth PB10?

Hunt ****, or hit on a rep who may have one.

TheLama
10-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Hunt ****, or hit on a rep who may have one.

My bad....forgot that mentioning a certain eB auction site invoked evangelistic Christian Conservative censorship. I forgot that I was posting in the USA.

matchmaker
10-09-2009, 05:08 PM

I have played with both the VE mid and the PC600, and yes, the main difference is the plow through. There is a similarity in the softness of the frame, the way both frames "pancake" (quoting TW playtester Granville here) the ball and the rather high sweetspot in both frames. However, the PC600 crushes the ball more at slower swingspeeds.

pug
10-09-2009, 07:22 PM
I will try this weekend, I promise. It's just been dismal around here.

How's the weather looking? I would love to hear your review on the racquets.

jrod
10-10-2009, 03:44 AM
Are you certain that Rush-n-Crush from the forum is the same as Rush from the Players Feedback?

Yes. One of his posts on the PB10mid in this forum was identical to the comments left under the players feedback. However, I'm not entirely certain you are Rush, but I would certainly place a bet on it that you are him.

BTW- Keep the informative posts coming. We need more of this here.

Edit: I found teh reference despite teh fact that when Rush was banned they deleted his posts. Fortunately, they didn't delete others who quoted him. See post #94 in this thread and compare it to the comments in post #164 in this thread under PB10mid:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=247676&highlight=jrod&page=5

I'd say that's pretty conclusive proof.

Rabbit
10-12-2009, 04:29 AM

It sucked. But, Bud dropped dime on me and I had to send them back Thursday anyway. I'll probably order them again...it's only money, right?

richie65
10-12-2009, 08:50 PM
I've had the opportunity to play many of the "10" models and most recently the C7 Comp. My rankings change periodically as I tend to love the model I'm playing at that moment. My list is as follows:

1. Tour 10 Gen1 MP-All around the best combo of comfort, feel, control and power.
2. Tour 10 Gen2 MP-Very good frame and underrated by most, my only complaint is lighter swing weight can throw off my backhand.
3. DNX 10 Mid- I like everything about this frame except the feeling of flex in the throat and the stiff hoop. It just feels weird! I played great with this one but.....maybe I should try it again.
4. C10 Pro Tour- Once again a great frame, great power, feel, control, but as many have stated it can be tiring on the arm. Great serving stick. Needs fresh strings at all times.
5. Tour 10 V-Engine MP-Excellent, but too stiff! I started with Volkl to get away from tennis elbow. Wicked spin!
6. Tour 10 V-Engine Mid-I really tried to like this frame, but maybe I'm not good enough as I was very inconsistent with the Mid. I loved the paint job.
Holding judgment on the C7 Comp, but so far I think compares closely to the Tour 10 Gen2. Excellent feel and flex, big sweet spot, less tiring then Pro Tour, absolutely no shock to the arm.

In the future, I would to try out the 98in frames with the 18x20 patterns. Most interested in the DNX 10 MP (cheap used) and the Powerbridge 10 MP. Is there a large enough difference to go with the Powerbridge?

schu47
10-13-2009, 05:40 AM
I have come to really like the various Volkl 10s, so starting reading more about them, and have found out there were a Quantum 10 and Catapult 10. How do they fit in with the others? I assume they are older, but are they pretty much the same as far as specs and performance?

I generally like the older, simpler models of many racquets. For instance, I really like the Dunlop Muscle Weave 200G much more than the 200s that followed -- and so would be interested in fnding out more about the Quantum or Catapult.

Thanks in advance to all you Volkl experts for any info or opinions.

ericsson
10-13-2009, 06:23 AM
I have come to really like the various Volkl 10s, so starting reading more about them, and have found out there were a Quantum 10 and Catapult 10. How do they fit in with the others? I assume they are older, but are they pretty much the same as far as specs and performance?

I generally like the older, simpler models of many racquets. For instance, I really like the Dunlop Muscle Weave 200G much more than the 200s that followed -- and so would be interested in fnding out more about the Quantum or Catapult.

Thanks in advance to all you Volkl experts for any info or opinions.

Volkl C10, Tour 10, Catapult 10 and Q10 tour are very different from each other with each their unique qualities, one thing they all have in common is they are pretty low powered hence the 10. All great sticks, a lot depends on your playing style, me for instance hit quite flat so i prefer the old T10 but my friend hits with a lot of topspin and likes the C10, another older friend really likes the extra power from the catapult system.

TourTenor
10-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Also, I found that the catapult system has somewhat of a trampoline effect ... not unlike stringing at a very low tension. This can take some getting used to and requires a full swing on groundies to obtain good spin control or you end up with some kind of swing compensation ... and that is not a good thing.

TheLama
10-13-2009, 03:26 PM
STRAIGHT FROM SAN DIEGO:

NEW STICKS FOR SPRING 2010:

"SPORTSTER": This replaces the BB V1s. There will be a minimal construction change and it will also be .2 oz. heavier.

"PB 2"
"PB 5"
"PB 9"

THESE ARE NOW HISTORY:

"BB DC 1"
"BB DC 3"
"BB V1 MP/OS"
"BB Pro"
"DNX 2"
"DNX 9"

I'LL POST WHEN I KNOW MORE.

TheLama
10-13-2009, 04:10 PM
STRAIGHT FROM SAN DIEGO:

NEW STICKS FOR SPRING 2010:

"SPORTSTER": This replaces the BB V1s. There will be a minimal construction change and it will also be .2 oz. heavier.

"PB 2"
"PB 5"
"PB 9"

THESE ARE NOW HISTORY:

"BB DC 1"
"BB DC 3"
"BB V1 MP/OS"
"BB Pro"
"DNX 2"
"DNX 9"

I'LL POST WHEN I KNOW MORE.

They are not history YET, just price reduced.

BUT STAY TUNED....

ipitythefool
10-13-2009, 09:50 PM
I might be interested in this (and I'm in Europe already). Can you shoot me an email? It's jei4 (at) duke (dot) edu

Thanks!

Hey, I sent you an e-mail, but no response from you :confused:

If anyone else is interested in a new Tour 10 V-Engine Mid for a reasonable price, pls drop me a message via my profile. Thanks.

danix
10-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Silly thought. Here's a 16x19 10 series that no one has considered:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCVOLKL-PB10JR.html

Now, hear me out. It's a junior but only 0.2" shorter. And it's a Volkl, which means modular grip pallets. I don't see any reason you couldn't swap the pallets for the standard length and size, and make yourself a PB10 16x19 for around $100.

I'm unable to play for 6-8 weeks at least so I'm not going to try it. Anyone else want to give it a whirl? :)

ericsson
10-14-2009, 02:45 AM

Now, hear me out. It's a junior but only 0.2" shorter. And it's a Volkl, which means modular grip pallets. I don't see any reason you couldn't swap the pallets for the standard length and size, and make yourself a PB10 16x19 for around $100.

I'm unable to play for 6-8 weeks at least so I'm not going to try it. Anyone else want to give it a whirl? :)

Like you said silly thought ;-) i know you think it's basically a 16x19 PB 10 but it's not, not even close, this is a junior racket not a 10 serie adult, means it's very light, powerful, light balance/mass and a thicker beam...

rlau
10-14-2009, 04:02 AM
Silly thought.

Thanks for the laugh, Danix.

slice bh compliment
10-14-2009, 04:04 AM
Yeah, way to think outside the box, but it's thick and hollow. It really only shares the yellow and black look of the 10 series.

Rabbit
10-14-2009, 04:24 AM

I gotta say, kickin *** with a junior racquet would be a hoot!

Ross K
10-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Re the DNX 10 mid, what string/mods set up would ppl advise for a big time power boost - and especially as it effects the serve? (BTW, mine was last strung with Pro Red Code @ 55 lbs and has a small amount of lead at 10 and 2 o'clock.)

Basically... yep, it's the same old problemo! :roll: ... I like the frame in so many respects but found the serve to be pretty hard work (a little like my experiences with the C10 Pro.)... not that I'd deny 'operator error' has a heck of a lot do with this!

Talking of serving, okay it isn't a 10, but I think the BB11 mid is the frame that I've enjoyed the most out of this 'family' for pop and action. Though my little-played PB 10 mid is finally going to be tested a bit more thoroughly next week (I had a brief session on Friday and was far more impressed by the stability, feel and balance than was the case previously), so we'll really see how that compares to the BB11 mid, DNX 10 mid, etc, on serve and generally.

IMO these are all such outstanding, high quality frames though in terms of feel, touch, maneuverability and solidness, with each offering something slightly different, the problem of course can be settling on one! :)

R.

EikelBeiter
10-18-2009, 12:28 AM
Re the DNX 10 mid, what string/mods set up would ppl advise for a big time power boost - and especially as it effects the serve? (BTW, mine was last strung with Pro Red Code @ 55 lbs and has a small amount of lead at 10 and 2 o'clock.)

Basically... yep, it's the same old problemo! :roll: ... I like the frame in so many respects but found the serve to be pretty hard work (a little like my experiences with the C10 Pro.)... not that I'd deny 'operator error' has a heck of a lot do with this!

Talking of serving, okay it isn't a 10, but I think the BB11 mid is the frame that I've enjoyed the most out of this 'family' for pop and action. Though my little-played PB 10 mid is finally going to be tested a bit more thoroughly next week (I had a brief session on Friday and was far more impressed by the stability, feel and balance than was the case previously), so we'll really see how that compares to the BB11 mid, DNX 10 mid, etc, on serve and generally.

IMO these are all such outstanding, high quality frames though in terms of feel, touch, maneuverability and solidness, with each offering something slightly different, the problem of course can be settling on one! :)

R.

Have you ever played with a yonex rdx 500 mid? I Just ordered a pb10 mid and I was wondering how the two compared

TourTenor
10-18-2009, 06:56 AM
Have you ever played with a yonex rdx 500 mid? I Just ordered a pb10 mid and I was wondering how the two compared
EB - I saw your video in the other thread and I am going to guess that you will like the pb10 mid alot ... given that you take a full swing off of both sides and like a frame that you can generate great racquet head speed for control. This stick is nice as it is a offers good mass while playing much lighter due to its headlight balance. It is the kind of stick that you can stay in the point easily (allows quick setup) and lets you play aggressively, as needed. Sorry no comparison with the 500 mid. Please give us your report on the pb10 mid once you have had some time with it. cheers, TTen

EikelBeiter
10-18-2009, 07:27 AM
EB - I saw your video in the other thread and I am going to guess that you will like the pb10 mid alot ... given that you take a full swing off of both sides and like a frame that you can generate great racquet head speed for control. This stick is nice as it is a offers good mass while playing much lighter due to its headlight balance. It is the kind of stick that you can stay in the point easily (allows quick setup) and lets you play aggressively, as needed. Sorry no comparison with the 500 mid. Please give us your report on the pb10 mid once you have had some time with it. cheers, TTen

I only hope it does not feel too heavy, coming from a LM radical.

I will definitely give my report on it, once I played with it. Tenniswarehouse Europe didn't have it in stock though, so I have to wait a least another week. But i have high hopes!

TourTenor
10-18-2009, 07:40 AM
I only hope it does not feel too heavy, coming from a LM radical.

I will definitely give my report on it, once I played with it. Tenniswarehouse Europe didn't have it in stock though, so I have to wait a least another week. But i have high hopes!
Yeah, I'm not sure what you are going to think when comparing it to the LM radical. I believe that the PB10 mid is 11.5 oz. unstrung. I'm used to some other 10 series sticks that weigh in at about that weight and when compared to them, this one swings the easiest.
I'll look forward to your report. TTen

TheLama
10-21-2009, 02:10 PM
They are not history YET, just price reduced.

BUT STAY TUNED....

There will be no midsize BB Legend.

New sticks to join the Sportster:

BB Delta Core Power (old DC 3)
BB Delta Core Pro (replace the BB DNX Pro but better cosmetic and .2 ounces heavier)

danix
10-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the laugh, Danix.

I blame the Percocet. :)
Seriously though, I've seen junior frames that were just hacked down versions of the regular frame.

DukeLit
10-28-2009, 10:13 AM
As someone who has only hit with one Volkl in his life, I thought I'd pose the following 10-series question to you knowledgeable folks: Having demoed the PB10, I decided against it because I felt like it swung awkwardly due to its weight distribution (quite polarized). I never got into a groove with this frame because of this. So I was wondering whether previous 10-series models, in particular the Tour 10 V-Engine mid and the Tour 10 Generation II, were similarly polarized? Or do they have more traditional weight distributions?

Rabbit
10-28-2009, 10:59 AM
As someone who has only hit with one Volkl in his life, I thought I'd pose the following 10-series question to you knowledgeable folks: Having demoed the PB10, I decided against it because I felt like it swung awkwardly due to its weight distribution (quite polarized). I never got into a groove with this frame because of this. So I was wondering whether previous 10-series models, in particular the Tour 10 V-Engine mid and the Tour 10 Generation II, were similarly polarized? Or do they have more traditional weight distributions?

They are very traditional. I have hit extensively with both the Gen II and the V-10, my personal preference is for the V-10, but both are fine frames.

DukeLit
10-28-2009, 11:23 AM
They are very traditional. I have hit extensively with both the Gen II and the V-10, my personal preference is for the V-10, but both are fine frames.

Thanks, Rabbit, much appreciated! People have written in older threads that I've read that No Bad Mojo compared these two frames at great length, but his old posts have been excised. At any rate, both these racquets are pretty to find new, and I'm not exactly swimming in cash at the moment. :) But it's good to know that other Volkl racquets are weighted more conventionally and that the polarization seems to be unique to the new line.

Rabbit
10-29-2009, 03:41 AM
Thanks, Rabbit, much appreciated! People have written in older threads that I've read that No Bad Mojo compared these two frames at great length, but his old posts have been excised. At any rate, both these racquets are pretty to find new, and I'm not exactly swimming in cash at the moment. :) But it's good to know that other Volkl racquets are weighted more conventionally and that the polarization seems to be unique to the new line.

Exorcised might be a better description. ;)

Yeah, I'm a long time C10 user, with some side tracks... The best 10-series frame ever IMO was the Tour 10 Gen 1 followed by the C10. The Gen II I didn't like when it first came out, I've since hit with it and it isn't as bad as I remember, but it is definetly stiffer than the C10. The V10 is a nice frame, again a little stiffer.

DukeLit
10-29-2009, 05:09 AM
Exorcised might be a better description. ;)

Yeah, I'm a long time C10 user, with some side tracks... The best 10-series frame ever IMO was the Tour 10 Gen 1 followed by the C10. The Gen II I didn't like when it first came out, I've since hit with it and it isn't as bad as I remember, but it is definetly stiffer than the C10. The V10 is a nice frame, again a little stiffer.

So is the stiffness the only thing that bothered you about the Gen II? I ask because I've seen it written that it can be a bit underpowered with a quirky sweetspot.

Rabbit
10-29-2009, 05:21 AM
So is the stiffness the only thing that bothered you about the Gen II? I ask because I've seen it written that it can be a bit underpowered with a quirky sweetspot.

Yep, that was it. I've read that the C10 has a small sweetspot as well, but I don't think it does either. The Gen II was, I believe, a little lighter than the Gen I and a little more evenly balanced. All in all, I could play with it, just would take a little getting used to.

dl125
10-29-2009, 05:41 AM
Agreed with a lot of the guys on here; the Tour 10 Gen 1 was the best for me. I LOVED it. I sold mine off a few years ago because of the "rubbery-matte-cosmetics." I always had to grab the throat because I hit a 1HB and the finish bothered me. I had such a solid serve with that racquet. Other than that, I like the C10 pro (gone through 4) and had a brief demo with the Tour 10 VE MP.

dozu
10-29-2009, 06:04 AM
yup - the gen1 is da best.... love it so much I got 6 of them.... it's the only racket ever made that give me the confidence to rip a flat ball 6 inches above the net and land it within a foot of both lines.....

this thing is truely one of a kind, and nothing else can stand to it in terms of accuracy.

in terms of feel, it is typical Volkl - buttery (maybe even wobly) yet really solid.

power level is quite low, even with gut strings.

recently I got a pair of the DNX10 mids - these things are significantly powerful and allows more access to spin than the gen1, but no longer gives the confidence that i can drill a flat one on the dime.

both have their advantages and weakness..... so nowadays when the conditions are fast (warm day), I use the gen1....when conditions are slow, cold day, against wind, or on slow surface, or against opps who hit heavy tops, the DNX10 won't ask me to work so hard :)

ericsson
10-29-2009, 06:48 AM
yup - the gen1 is da best.... love it so much I got 6 of them.... it's the only racket ever made that give me the confidence to rip a flat ball 6 inches above the net and land it within a foot of both lines.....

this thing is truely one of a kind, and nothing else can stand to it in terms of accuracy.

in terms of feel, it is typical Volkl - buttery (maybe even wobly) yet really solid.

power level is quite low, even with gut strings.

recently I got a pair of the DNX10 mids - these things are significantly powerful and allows more access to spin than the gen1, but no longer gives the confidence that i can drill a flat one on the dime.

I feel the exact same way, it is very accurate (in the right hands of course ;-) but what really is unique about it is you can really hit very flat and hard with it without going long, not many rackets i've tested have that quality!
Of course the feel is another great thing about it, so buttery.
It is low powered but not underpowered (the gen II for me is underpowered)

DukeLit
10-29-2009, 07:40 AM
I feel the exact same way, it is very accurate (in the right hands of course ;-) but what really is unique about it is you can really hit very flat and hard with it without going long, not many rackets i've tested have that quality!
Of course the feel is another great thing about it, so buttery.
It is low powered but not underpowered (the gen II for me is underpowered)

ericsson, even with the Gen II's low swingweight you had trouble generating power?

TourTenor
10-29-2009, 07:45 AM
re: your prior question, I concur with Rabbit, the PB10 mid is a bit more polarized than the other 10 series.

The Gen 2 was my main squeeze for a couple of years and I really liked the feel of it. Off the ground it is solid, buttery (Volkl term?) and offers good access to spin. I never found it to be too stiff (I don't have Gen 1 experience to compare to) and in fact, would say that it could be a bit noodley at times. Great for touch shots, drops, etc. The sweetspot is one of the best. I say this after trying over a 100 racquets in the past 5-6 years since coming back to the game. My biggest beef was losing some power off the serve. By way of comparison, the BB11mid and DNX10mid feel more stiff than this one. As a result, both of these have a bit more pop than the Gen 2 as well.

ericsson
10-29-2009, 09:41 AM
ericsson, even with the Gen II's low swingweight you had trouble generating power?

Well it's not that i had trouble generating power, just the balls weren't as heavy as with the T10 original...

holiday
10-31-2009, 11:13 AM
great thread, and this may be one of my first posts in this forum.
i've been a volkl guy for many years, since the first v1 came out and i had tennis elbow. the gen 2 is the currrent favorite, though i still have a couple c10's and a pb 10 to teach w/ as it's "in line".

I'm liking 12oz strung now, and have actually scraped the paint off 2 gen 2's to get it there, but am thinking the new pb9 weighted to 12 even and balanced at 1.3inch headlight may be the next one for me. Anyone played w/ it or have impression. The other option is having my volkl buddy talk the manufacturer into drilling a PB10 as 16x19, but that is harder...
thoughts you from you volkl connoisseurs?

Cheers,
Holiday

rlau
11-01-2009, 01:40 AM
am thinking the new pb9 weighted to 12 even and balanced at 1.3inch headlight may be the next one for me. Anyone played w/ it or have impression.

It's not out yet.

holiday
11-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Thx,
I've played w/ the unpainted version, and about a half hour w/ the painted version, but it had poly in it, and i play gut/syn gut hybrid. Just thought others might have played it already as well since there seems an insider point of view here w/ the original poster.
I think I'm going to go ahead and have them send one and try out my theory.
thx,
Cheers,
holiday

dParis
11-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Thx,
I've played w/ the unpainted version, and about a half hour w/ the painted version, but it had poly in it, and i play gut/syn gut hybrid. Cheers,
holiday
Whoa. Back up. You've hit with the PB9 already? I don't care if it was strung with guitar string. Let's hear the deets, brutha'.

Seriously, how did it feel comfort and balance wise? Does it have a decent sized sweet spot, compared to, say, the DNX9? What other racquets might you compare it to?

BTW, welcome to TT.

holiday
11-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Whoa. Back up. You've hit with the PB9 already? I don't care if it was strung with guitar string. Let's hear the deets, brutha'.

Seriously, how did it feel comfort and balance wise? Does it have a decent sized sweet spot, compared to, say, the DNX9? What other racquets might you compare it to?

BTW, welcome to TT.

Yes, I've played with it. It felt great, but a bit too light for what I was looking for.
I have to admit, i do ski testing for manufacturers, and test mountain biking products for r&d of an american bike maker, but when i swing rackets, I'm looking for if i want to play w/ it.

I really like the feel of the pb10, but at 40 and a 4.5 to 5.0 teaching pro in tahoe, where we play 5 months a year, I don't swing fast enough to get the ball to compress as well in a 18x20, so I want a 16x19. my buddy w/ volkl says the pb9 is the one, and just to add weight.

so,
it hit great, looked great (i think better then 10), and the feel was very similiar to the 10, but definitely more bite w/ the open pattern. I don't have any specs, so I don't know what they went to on beam width, but it didn't seem much wider then my t10 gen 2. Other 9's I've played w/ have seemed too wide for a touch player at 6000ft elevation, but this one didn't. Feel for me was much better then the dnx 9, which to me was too harsh, as was the dnx 10.

that said, I'm always worried if it's stiffer, it may bother my tennis elbow prone wing, so that's why I'm looking for other impressions. Since there aren't any out there, I'll probably get one, modify it, and see if it does the trick.

I have to admit, i had one T10 gen 2 absolutely perfect, paint scraped perfectly, looked good, exactly 12 even strung w/ dampener, gut and grip,
and,
I broke it... idiot.
that is why i'm looking again to solve the problem. (and play w/ an "in line" frame.) the 12.2 of the gen 2 is just slightly too heavy for a lightweight dubs specialist, and the pb 10 is perfect weight and balance, but 18x20...

Cheers,
Holiday

jrod
11-02-2009, 03:45 AM
^^^^ Holiday- Some PB10mids swing considerably lighter than the TW posted SW of 337. Not sure if the manufacturing tolerances are slack or the measured SW is just hosed. When I purchased my frames I asked TW to select the ones with the lightest SW in stock. They swing low to mid 320's.

holiday
11-02-2009, 06:45 AM
thx for the tip,
are you talking about the mid, or mid plus.
I'm playing the mid plus, sorry that wasn't clear.

I really like the weight and balance of my pb10mid plus, would just much prefer it as a 16x19.

cheers,
holiday

jrod
11-02-2009, 06:54 AM
thx for the tip,
are you talking about the mid, or mid plus.
I'm playing the mid plus, sorry that wasn't clear.

I really like the weight and balance of my pb10mid plus, would just much prefer it as a 16x19.

cheers,
holiday

pb10mid, 16x19. If you haven't tried it, you should.

TheLama
11-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Yes, I've played with it. It felt great, but a bit too light for what I was looking for.
I have to admit, i do ski testing for manufacturers, and test mountain biking products for r&d of an american bike maker, but when i swing rackets, I'm looking for if i want to play w/ it.

I really like the feel of the pb10, but at 40 and a 4.5 to 5.0 teaching pro in tahoe, where we play 5 months a year, I don't swing fast enough to get the ball to compress as well in a 18x20, so I want a 16x19. my buddy w/ volkl says the pb9 is the one, and just to add weight.

so,
it hit great, looked great (i think better then 10), and the feel was very similiar to the 10, but definitely more bite w/ the open pattern. I don't have any specs, so I don't know what they went to on beam width, but it didn't seem much wider then my t10 gen 2. Other 9's I've played w/ have seemed too wide for a touch player at 6000ft elevation, but this one didn't. Feel for me was much better then the dnx 9, which to me was too harsh, as was the dnx 10.

that said, I'm always worried if it's stiffer, it may bother my tennis elbow prone wing, so that's why I'm looking for other impressions. Since there aren't any out there, I'll probably get one, modify it, and see if it does the trick.

I have to admit, i had one T10 gen 2 absolutely perfect, paint scraped perfectly, looked good, exactly 12 even strung w/ dampener, gut and grip,
and,
I broke it... idiot.
that is why i'm looking again to solve the problem. (and play w/ an "in line" frame.) the 12.2 of the gen 2 is just slightly too heavy for a lightweight dubs specialist, and the pb 10 is perfect weight and balance, but 18x20...

Cheers,
Holiday

Your buddy at Volkl says that you two are crazy tight!

I have to wait a month, and I've been with them since '93 as well!

holiday
11-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Your buddy at Volkl says that you two are crazy tight!

I have to wait a month, and I've been with them since '93 as well!

Looks like the pb9 is in other hands now based on that new thread...
21mm is the spec that makes me nervous, I have to admit.

Yep, Volkl man and I are close. I was actually w/ Volkl well before him, which I like to rub in on occasion (longest volkl vip on the west coast I hear : ) )

I look forward to your impressions of the 9 when you get it llama, if it feels nice and buttery, like the 10, but w/ the extra bite of the open string bed, i may have to weight one up to just under 12 w/ klip lightning and give it good try.

So, I derailed this thread, sorry.

BEST 10 SERIES VOLKL (for me)
T10, Gen Midplus, and the new PB 10 for me, w/ the C10 98 close behind.

Cheers,

holiday
11-03-2009, 06:06 PM
I meant, t10 gen2, midplus
and jrod,
I've hit w/ the pb10mid, sweet, but as dubs specialist and server and volleyer who spends too much time making stab and reflex volleys, I like a little more stringbed, so the 98's work better for me. I'd even love it if they made a 10 in 100 to 102...

Cheers,
Holiday

TheLama
11-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Looks like the pb9 is in other hands now based on that new thread...
21mm is the spec that makes me nervous, I have to admit.

Yep, Volkl man and I are close. I was actually w/ Volkl well before him, which I like to rub in on occasion (longest volkl vip on the west coast I hear : ) )

I look forward to your impressions of the 9 when you get it llama, if it feels nice and buttery, like the 10, but w/ the extra bite of the open string bed, i may have to weight one up to just under 12 w/ klip lightning and give it good try.

So, I derailed this thread, sorry.

BEST 10 SERIES VOLKL (for me)
T10, Gen Midplus, and the new PB 10 for me, w/ the C10 98 close behind.

Cheers,

I personally have never been in love with the 9's, but my juniors and male open coaches/players who wanted a lighter players stick have. I will definitely be demoing the stick soon, and I will let you know.

I personally was fiending to play with Volkl, because like all Kneissl players, we were forced to switch to Mizuno--Puma wasn't an option because they pulled-out in '89--which did not compare to my White Stars. I got my hands on a few while coaching a player at a few Satellites in Portugal and Spain, borrowed from a few Eastern European players, and immediately found that they played like my Kneissls, maybe even better. So after the announcement that they were to be here in the USA, I verbally committed to Sam within 48 hours after they opened shop here in the US--he told me that I was his first VIP. I was also lucky enough to have his college doubles partner and best friend as one of my company's player's boyfriend--was she a handful. So like you, I have been with them way before our man in SD came on-board.

I'll post as soon as I hit with the stick.

lilxjohnyy
11-04-2009, 03:21 PM
sorry for the rookie question ... but is the gen 1 and gen 2 refer to the c10 pro tour mids?

dParis
11-04-2009, 05:40 PM
The gen1 & gen2 you hear about on this thread refer to the Volkl Tour 10 (T10mid/mp), not any of the the C10s. I'm not familiar with the lineage of the 10 series and how it spawned two lines - the C series and the Tour series. The T10 was a slightly lighter and stiffer racquet than the C10. Volkl discontinued the T10 for some reason and replaced it with the Tour 10 Generation II. I'm not sure if the gen2 immediately followed the gen1, or if there was no Tour 10 for a couple of years. I've never hit a T10 gen2. Others may be able to give better details.

diehard6.0
11-04-2009, 07:17 PM
the lineage of the 10 series .

C10
Tour 10
Tour 10 V-Engine & Tour 10 Generation II
DNX 10
Power Bridge 10

I like Tour 10 VE best among them.

dParis
11-04-2009, 07:29 PM
C10
Tour 10
Tour 10 V-Engine & Tour 10 Generation II
DNX 10
Power Bridge 10

I like Tour 10 VE best among them.
Thanks diehard.

The C10 has remained throughout. Was there a gap between the gen1 and gen2? Were the T10VE and T10gII released around the same time? If I remember correctly, they were replaced by the DNX and the DNX was replaced by the PB.

danix
11-06-2009, 06:24 PM
From memory... the Tour9 and Tour10 Gen1 MP followed the C9/10 Pro. By that time, the "extra long" craze was dying down (I was playing with a CX9 at the time) so many like myself saw the slighly stiffer Tour9/10 as a logical replacement for the C line.
I switched to the Tour9 but found myself wanting a bit more weight. The Tour10MP was the ticket. When the Gen2 came out, I again switched (racquet companies love guys like me!) but quickly found it was a completely different stick and hit a much "lighter" ball off the ground. The Vengine line followed and I never warmed to it, and I switched to Head, then Dunlop, before finding some new old stock Tour10MP at TW. I've never been able to match them quite right though, so I'm back with Dunlop, at least until the PB9 hits. The PB10, especially the mid, is definitely a step in the right direction, so I can't wait to try the 9.

Dgpsx7
11-11-2009, 08:16 PM
The Tour10 VE MidPlus is my favorite

then the VE Mid

and then the Tour10 GenII

I have a PB10 mid but I haven't clicked with it yet. I can see its potential though.

diehard6.0
11-11-2009, 10:09 PM
The Tour10 VE MidPlus is my favorite

then the VE Mid

and then the Tour10 GenII

I have a PB10 mid but I haven't clicked with it yet. I can see its potential though.

Ditto.

I have yet to find a better MP racquet than Tour 10 VE MP.
Tour 10 VE Mid was also great. My only gripe was that it does not have an open string pattern.

Volkl racquets since the DNX series lost their unique feel.
So I don't look no further Volkl/Becker racquets recently.

Dgpsx7
11-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Ditto.

I have yet to find a better MP racquet than Tour 10 VE MP.
Tour 10 VE Mid was also great. My only gripe was that it does not have an open string pattern.

Volkl racquets since the DNX series lost their unique feel.
So I don't look no further Volkl/Becker racquets recently.

I agree. If the Tour10 VE mid was 16x19 it would be a dream. I love how it plays and feels but I lose a lot of spin on my serve and on fh and bh slices. The flat serve on it is amazing though.

I'm not familiar with how any of the DNXs play and I will probably never try them.

javierjavier
11-12-2009, 09:52 AM
I agree. If the Tour10 VE mid was 16x19 it would be a dream. I love how it plays and feels but I lose a lot of spin on my serve and on fh and bh slices. The flat serve on it is amazing though.

I'm not familiar with how any of the DNXs play and I will probably never try them.
i love the ve mid. agree on the flat serve, but also feel fh and bh slices are a real strength. i've always felt that i had a better slice (and volleys) with tighter string patterns. i never felt i could be as aggressive with an open string bed, and it resulted in slices and volleys that tended to float for me.

also, because of the thin beam and hl balance, i'm really able to generate great racket speed. i've always been able to generate plenty of spin on my second serves and top spin fh.

not sure if you still have the ve mid, but try stringing her up with a thin gauge co-poly.

i do love the pb 10 mid, but actually wish it came in a 18x20 as a replacement for my ve mids. :)

what i love about all volkl mids is that they all feel like a mid in hand but play larger than the 93 sq in head size.

dParis
11-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Was I dreaming, or did the Lama post in three Volkl threads about having dinner with some Volkl reps where the new line of Volkl/BB was laid out for him? Where did these post go? TMI?

Anyhow, I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but the owner or partner of a reputable tennis shop here in Chicago told me today that Volkl was coming out with another PB10. This one will be "slightly lighter" than the current one and will have a 16x19 string pattern. I forgot to ask him if it was a mid or mid+ but I assume it's the plus since the mid is already a 16x19, and he said they may not carry the PB9 since it will be too similar to the new PB10.

I was surprised to hear this. That would make 4 types of Tour 10s. Has anyone else heard anything?

Dgpsx7
11-12-2009, 12:36 PM
i love the ve mid. agree on the flat serve, but also feel fh and bh slices are a real strength. i've always felt that i had a better slice (and volleys) with tighter string patterns. i never felt i could be as aggressive with an open string bed, and it resulted in slices and volleys that tended to float for me.

also, because of the thin beam and hl balance, i'm really able to generate great racket speed. i've always been able to generate plenty of spin on my second serves and top spin fh.

not sure if you still have the ve mid, but try stringing her up with a thin gauge co-poly.

i do love the pb 10 mid, but actually wish it came in a 18x20 as a replacement for my ve mids. :)

what i love about all volkl mids is that they all feel like a mid in hand but play larger than the 93 sq in head size.

I agree, the VE mid the way its built let's you be more aggresive with with your forehand and backhand slices because you can rip at them more. I kept my VE mid and have it strung up with MSV Hex 1.10 which is the thinnest(and my fav) co-poly I could find. If I was comparing the VE mid side by side with another racket the spin loss would not be an issue because its flex helps in the spin department but since I have a VE Mp as well I can see the difference but that's because the VE Mp is an insane spin machine.

snoopy
11-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Was I dreaming, or did the Lama post in three Volkl threads about having dinner with some Volkl reps where the new line of Volkl/BB was laid out for him? Where did these post go? TMI?

You better say you were dreaming or you will wind up like Lama, thrown into the back of a black van and driven to a remote location where you will remain bound and gagged until January.

jrod
11-12-2009, 12:49 PM
You better say you were dreaming or you will wind up like Lama, thrown into the back of a black van and driven to a remote location where you will remain bound and gagged until January.

or even worse....working as some sherpa's *** carrying the poor SOB's gear.

dParis
11-12-2009, 04:23 PM
You better say you were dreaming or you will wind up like Lama, thrown into the back of a black van and driven to a remote location where you will remain bound and gagged until January. (Probably a black and yellow van)
Come to think of it, I believe I was dreaming. Lama who?

holiday
11-13-2009, 06:12 AM
"told me today that Volkl was coming out with another PB10. This one will be "slightly lighter" than the current one and will have a 16x19 string pattern. I forgot to ask him if it was a mid or mid+ but I assume it's the plus since the mid is already a 16x19, "

Interesting,
maybe I'll get taken away in the van as well for TMI, but that is exactly what I asked Volkl man for when we played together back in the spring as my ideal racket, a pb 10 mid plus, drilled 16x19, 11.8 to 11.9 strung, and, I also wanted it painted like the pb10mid (love that graphic...).

maybe he listened and this is my birthday present...?
Of course,
we spoke a week ago, he knows what i want and is sending me a pb9 to take up to 11.8 or 11.9 and try, which I doubt if he'd do if he knew my perfect one was coming soon...

Cheers,

Holiday

dParis
11-13-2009, 10:37 AM
"told me today that Volkl was coming out with another PB10. This one will be "slightly lighter" than the current one and will have a 16x19 string pattern. I forgot to ask him if it was a mid or mid+ but I assume it's the plus since the mid is already a 16x19, "

Interesting,
maybe I'll get taken away in the van as well for TMI, but that is exactly what I asked Volkl man for when we played together back in the spring as my ideal racket, a pb 10 mid plus, drilled 16x19, 11.8 to 11.9 strung, and, I also wanted it painted like the pb10mid (love that graphic...).

maybe he listened and this is my birthday present...?
Of course,
we spoke a week ago, he knows what i want and is sending me a pb9 to take up to 11.8 or 11.9 and try, which I doubt if he'd do if he knew my perfect one was coming soon...

Cheers,

Holiday
Maybe you'll get a birthday surprise and receive the PB10mp 16x19 instead of the PB9.

The guy I talked to said that they would most likely be carrying it (at the expense of the PB9). When I asked when he expected it to come in, he was short on detail, only saying, "First they'll send it out to California and after they get it, we'll be getting it from there." :-?

dParis
11-26-2009, 10:48 AM
It has only been in the last 8-12 months or so so that I've heard about weight polarization. Of course I paid attention to balance but I never really considered weight distribution within the parameters of a certain balance point. I've heard that the PB10s have a polarized weight distribution and I was wondering how that compares to the Tour 10mp weight dist. - or other racquets for that matter, such as the Dunlop 4d300, Prince Ozone Tour, Wilson KB98, Volkl PB8, or T9VE if anyone is familiar.

ipitythefool
11-26-2009, 01:14 PM
QUESTION TO Volkl aficionodos:

I have few DNX10 MPs and I hate Volkl grips!
Is it possible to change the pallets to something more rounded like a Wilson grip? Anyone has experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

snoopy
11-26-2009, 04:19 PM

Is it possible to change the pallets to something more rounded like a Wilson grip? Anyone has experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

Obviously you can have them customized at a place such as RPNY but that will be expensive.

A cheaper, do it yourself alternative is to put a couple of layers of electrical tape or masking tape on the top and bottom bevels (http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/gear/general/general.aspx?id=649). This adds a little weight, increases the grip size, and makes the bevels feel a little more squishy. It's worth a shot and easily undone if you don't like it.

Craig Carter
11-26-2009, 05:39 PM
I agree, the VE mid the way its built let's you be more aggresive with with your forehand and backhand slices because you can rip at them more. ...

The VE mid is by far my favorite Volkl 10 series frame (I also liked the original T10 mid). The control that I had was fantastic and with the right string setup I could really take some big cuts at the ball with confidence. Obviously with that comes a lack of power but the drop off wasn't too severe. What a great frame.

ipitythefool
11-27-2009, 06:43 AM
Obviously you can have them customized at a place such as RPNY but that will be expensive.

A cheaper, do it yourself alternative is to put a couple of layers of electrical tape or masking tape on the top and bottom bevels (http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/gear/general/general.aspx?id=649). This adds a little weight, increases the grip size, and makes the bevels feel a little more squishy. It's worth a shot and easily undone if you don't like it.

Thanks indeed! Will give a shot to thickening lower and bottom bevels.

Rabbit
11-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Hey Rabbit ... did you demo the three sticks? What did you find
cheers,
TTenor

Yeah, come on Rabbit! You need to get hoppin. If those reviews ain't posted by sun-up I'm callin Mr. McGregor.

OK, the club I belong to had some Volkls show up. It seems a buddy of the head pro bought into the U.S. Volkl and sent him some racquets. He asked me to hit with the PB10 Mid.

PB10 Mid

I warmed up with this frame. It was strung with Prince Lightning and probably strung mid-range to upper (the pro's son strung it). I thought it was very precise feeling in terms of control off the ground. It felt...well if you like it sorta muted...if you don't sorta dead to me. I don't know if it was the tension or the string, but I didn't get a lot of feedback from the frame.

Power was definetly on the low side compared to the C10 strung with gut. I could hit the ball with decent power, but I think it lacked a little spin potential compared to the C10 and the AG100.

The PB10 is definetly more evenly balanced feeling than either the C10 or the AG100. It was rock steady through the ball and had great plough. Absolutely no complaints there.

Compared to my C10s, I like the C10s better. I could get used to the PB10 and probably play pretty well with it, but again there's the commitment thing :) The PB10 is a nice frame, stiffer than most Volkl mid's I've hit with and definitely an improvement over the 18X20 mids that they built for a while.

C10 Pro Tour

This frame was not sent to the club. :) A buddy of mine bought a couple and asked me to string them. I asked if I could hit with them and he replied in the affirmative. I strung them both with a Pacific Classic/Volkl PowerFibre hybrid at 56. And, I put synthetic grips on them for him.

The C10 Pro Tour is an excellent frame although very different to me from the C10. It is more head heavy by a good margin (don't remember the exact reading). The 16X19 pattern works really well in this frame, way better than the 18X20 in later frames. Its overall weight was lighter than my C10 MP's by about 5 grams. (This is probably largely due to the difference between synthetic and leather grips).

On the court, the C10 PT feels just plain solid. The mass in the head really pays off when you're swinging at the ball. Just line it up and swing away. The frame, like its 98 sq in sibling, has great spin potential and rewards the user with good action on the ball.

I didn't hit too long with it as I knew it was going to another home. But, the C10 PT is an awesome stick. It is one I wish they still made, just like that and in the same cosmetic.

TheLama
11-28-2009, 03:21 PM

Anyhow, I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but the owner or partner of a reputable tennis shop here in Chicago told me today that Volkl was coming out with another PB10. This one will be "slightly lighter" than the current one and will have a 16x19 string pattern. I forgot to ask him if it was a mid or mid+ but I assume it's the plus since the mid is already a 16x19, and he said they may not carry the PB9 since it will be too similar to the new PB10.

I was surprised to hear this. That would make 4 types of Tour 10s. Has anyone else heard anything?

I'M BACK!

I was in a black jail for a few days after releasing the Djokovic to Tacchini info before the press release. But it's in the open now!

Unfortunately, they also deleted the new racquet info, so here it is:

Look for these three new sticks:

New PB 9: specs already published

New PB 2:

740 cm2 | 115 in2
28 mm
265 g | 9.4 oz
70 cm | 27.6 in
34.5 cm | 0.2 in HL
16 x 19 PCP
24 (±3) kg/53 (±7) lbs

New PB 5 with Power Arm:

660 cm2 | 102 in2
24 - 26 mm
280 g | 9.9 oz
68.5 cm | 27 in
32.5 cm | 0.7 in HL

New Classic V1: The new graphics are pure Volkl back/yellow and crazy hot!!!!

TheLama
11-28-2009, 03:30 PM

Thanks in advance!

The Attiva Series pallets are rounder, and cost only $10.00. It takes only five minutes more than re-gripping to remove and to replace a pallet.

Otherwise, you can build-up the side bevels on a 3 to zero/1 ratio with the top bevels to get a more rounded feel with white athletic tape very quickly.

Back in the day, when only Bosworth was doing these types of mods for Lendl, and no one else could afford it, most of us journeyman were using athletic tape to adjust out grip shapes and sizes.

ipitythefool
11-28-2009, 05:36 PM
The Attiva Series pallets are rounder, and cost only $6.00-$8.00. It takes only five minutes more than re-gripping to remove and to replace a pallet.

Otherwise, you can build-up the side bevels on a 3 to zero/1 ratio with the top bevels to get a more rounded feel with white athletic tape very quickly.

Back in the day, when only Bosworth was doing these types of mods for Lendl, and no one else could afford it, most of us journeyman were using athletic tape to adjust out grip shapes and sizes.

Hi, thanks for the great info!
I think these Attiva series pallets are on Beckers as I have a Becker Pro and it is perfect to my like! Where can I buy these Attiva pallets?

And are you serious about removing and replacing a pallet in a very short amount of time? As it appears to take a much longer amount time and work than just minutes in this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJfhKEt_4nQ
Perhaps Volkl pallets change quicker?

Also, could you please explain that "put athletic tape to side bevels on a 3 to zero/1 ratio"? Do you mean, put three layers of tape at side bevels while putting none or one on top and down bevels? Sorry if I sound like a moron lol :) Thanks for the explanation! If I can figure out this, I will finally be able to enjoy Volkls lol. I will take an ex journeyman's instructions word by word :)
P.S: Somebody needs to tell Volkl engineers that they suck at designing grip shapes

TheLama
12-02-2009, 01:07 AM
Hi, thanks for the great info!
I think these Attiva series pallets are on Beckers as I have a Becker Pro and it is perfect to my like! Where can I buy these Attiva pallets?

And are you serious about removing and replacing a pallet in a very short amount of time? As it appears to take a much longer amount time and work than just minutes in this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJfhKEt_4nQ
Perhaps Volkl pallets change quicker?

Also, could you please explain that "put athletic tape to side bevels on a 3 to zero/1 ratio"? Do you mean, put three layers of tape at side bevels while putting none or one on top and down bevels? Sorry if I sound like a moron lol :) Thanks for the explanation! If I can figure out this, I will finally be able to enjoy Volkls lol. I will take an ex journeyman's instructions word by word :)
P.S: Somebody needs to tell Volkl engineers that they suck at designing grip shapes

"Also, could you please explain that "put athletic tape to side bevels on a 3 to zero/1 ratio"? Do you mean, put three layers of tape at side bevels while putting none or one on top and down bevels?"

EXACTLY!

The Becker pallets are more square than the regular pallets, and the Attiva pallets take it one step further and are rounder, like Wilson or Babolat grip shapes.

Many players like the regular grips on the PB 8/9/10's. For instance, players with shorter fingers or bigger grip changes, they fit well in the hand. Personally, I have always modified my grips in the above manner--as I prefer the rounder shape due to longer fingers and corresponding body parts:)--but today, I changed a pallet and re-gripped the new rounder Attiva pallet in just 15 minutes. However, it only took that long because I treated the original pallet with a lot of TLC, and was able to remove it without breaking. Otherwise, I could have just ripped it off and replaced it in 5 minutes(I just viewed the video, and except for the danger of using a knife instead of perhaps a putty knife, his method took only 5 minutes, and the hair dryer released the pallet without tearing off the double-sided tape, which is very clever and makes for an easy removal.)

Contact customer service at Klip Strings in San Diego, and ask them for your help with the pallets. They are the licensee for BB/Volkl.