PDA

View Full Version : Locating ProKennex Racquets

kenshireen
11-14-2006, 07:31 AM
Why is it so hard to locate a dealer other than TW where I can try a PK racket. I called their US HQ and they said they are cutting back on dealers.
I live in ATL and cannot find a single dealer for me to try these rackets.
It is too cost prohibitive to pay TW to demo 2 PK rackets.
Very frustrating

Ken

cghipp
11-14-2006, 08:04 AM
It is frustrating. A local club was interested in stocking PK racquets in their new pro shop, but they couldn't come to an agreement with PK. I don't know of any pro shop anywhere near me that carries them. It seems like their heads are up their rears when it comes to marketing. You can't even look up a dealer location on their web site. I was a lot more enamored of them before I realized my two Ki 5 racquets differ in weight by about .3 oz.

eunjam
11-14-2006, 11:55 AM
yeah, PK really blew it. i think it's just too late for them to ever recover.

they're not going to go out of business or anything.....cause they do have a loyal fan base.....not in Americas.

but they really had an opportunity to make it big in the 80's and 90's but didn't take advantage of proper marketing.

although their marketing sucks, they have a spot in my heart as they were my first graphite racquets i used as jr. in 10's after i migrated from the prince pro...and before i went to POG in early 80's.

i actually won 2 USTA tourneys in 10s with them. he he...and the more i think about it as i type this......those were the only USTA tourneys i won as a jr. made a bunch of semis, 1 final, tons of quarters.....but i actually only won 2 tournaments as a jr with a yonex head shaped PK.

that is probably a good trivia quesiton......who is the most renown professional tennis player that PK has ever sponsored?

i don't have an answer....i really am curious.

anyone?

**quick edit......the comments above is in regards to PK and tennis....i know they do well with racquetball, but re: tennis marketing...they stink.

thomas martinez
11-14-2006, 12:06 PM
The two best known for playing Kennex have been Robert Seguso and the dutch Paul Haarhuis along with Sabine Applemans and Nathalie Tauziat on the women's side. Laver was and is a player ever since he retired. Jose Luis Clerc played them back in the day of wood laminated with graphite. Lesser knowns like Piet Norval, Andres Pedroso along with David Adams, and one or two others who really never made an impact. The Yonex shaped Kennexes were the Dominater series. I've still got a guy who REFUSES to give them up.

eunjam
11-14-2006, 12:12 PM
whoa!!!

thanks t-martinez.

you really brought me back down memory lane.

in fact, now i remember. it was a blue colored racquet called the composite dominator. there was a more expensive one called the graphite dominator and one less expensive one that i can't remember.

and yes....seguso. the gold digger. oops, i mean mr. carling bassett. the heir to moosehead fortune.

ericsson
11-14-2006, 12:22 PM
uhhh thomas, sabine appelmans thats been awhile man ;) but indeed she played kennex.

thejuice
11-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Why is it so hard to locate a dealer other than TW where I can try a PK racket. I called their US HQ and they said they are cutting back on dealers.
I live in ATL and cannot find a single dealer for me to try these rackets.
It is too cost prohibitive to pay TW to demo 2 PK rackets.
Very frustrating

Ken

Hey Ken,

Where in Atlanta do you live? I know of one dealer that sells and demoes PK racquets. He is in Duluth near Gwinnett Place Mall. I can't put the name on here because TW will block it but if you are interested, drop me a line.

Kevin T
11-14-2006, 02:22 PM
I've really been down on PK lately, which stinks, because I have been a loyal fan for about 3 years now. They just can't seem to get their product "out there" physically and in a marketing sense. My favorite shop in my area won't even carry their new lines because he can't get stock and/or rep support. Look at the availability of all their frames here on TW; almost every model is out or there is maybe 1 in stock. I mentioned in a previous thread that I've been waiting on the new squash line for at least 3 months. I actually think they might go out of business if they can't at least get product out there. I mean, it's not like they have a large market share or anything. PK is best known in racquetball and out of 5 racquet makers, guess where they are in market share? Yep, #5. You can make the best apple pie in the world but if there isn't any to taste, how do you know?

Steve Huff
11-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Actually, I saw Laver in some "Legends" thing, and even after PK made the Laver Type S, Laver was using a Prince. Kind of surprised me.

haerdalis
11-14-2006, 10:40 PM
I have had no success finding anyone in Sweden selling their racquets. ANd the PK ki 15 pse I bought definitely seems a little on the light side. Great racquet nonetheless.