PDA

View Full Version : Hey, diredesire! Sticky Request for Stringer Photo Project?

varuscelli
11-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Hey, diredesire (or appropriate other moderator),

Sorry to lead in this way, but I am looking for a way to contact one of the moderators and can't seem to send a message via the regular forum messaging tools (?).

I'd like to get some feedback on sticky request for help with a "stringing machine photo reference library" that I (with some help) have been working on the last few days. I'm looking for more photo contributors from the Stringing Machine forum, but hate for the message to get lost in the mass of general messages if there's a better way to approach it.

I'd like to run the request by a moderator for consideration as a sticky before I post anything. If it doesn't merit status as a sticky message, I'll just go ahead and post the request as a general message.

Can I send my proposed request to a moderator for consideration before posting anything?

Here's the "site" I'm wanting some help with (in terms of contributions):

Tennis Racquet Stringing Machine Photo Reference Library (http://www.photostringer.com/)

Thanks!

Al Ruscelli
al@ruscelli.com
vruscelli@houston.rr.com

diredesire
11-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Stuck.
Feel free to edit the original post with submission information, and how users can contribute to the project.

If i get some free time on my hands, i'll photograph some of the machines I work on:
Laserfibre MS200TT
Gamma ES-II with Stand
Prince/Ektelon NEOS 1000

What kind of pics do you want/require for the project? I saw your previous thread, but It'd be good for everyone to have criteria.

(You'll notice I stickied a copy of this thread, feel free to edit the other post as you wish). I can lock the thread if you don't want discussion, but it's up to you. My e-mail SHOULD be working from my profile, but a few users have commented that it doesnt....?

varuscelli
11-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Stuck.
Feel free to edit the original post with submission information, and how users can contribute to the project.

If i get some free time on my hands, i'll photograph some of the machines I work on:
Laserfibre MS200TT
Gamma ES-II with Stand
Prince/Ektelon NEOS 1000

What kind of pics do you want/require for the project? I saw your previous thread, but It'd be good for everyone to have criteria.

(You'll notice I stickied a copy of this thread, feel free to edit the other post as you wish). I can lock the thread if you don't want discussion, but it's up to you. My e-mail SHOULD be working from my profile, but a few users have commented that it doesnt....?

Hey, great! This'll work. :)

And I see how you mean for me to do the stickied post, so that will be fine. On locking it...what do you think? I could see it working either way. But maybe it should be left as is so people can comment. If I need to add anything new, I can make a judgment call and either edit the original post or add a new reply. I think that ought to work (?).

And yeah, that's great on the photos you can do of the machines you are using. Good stuff!

Let me think about the photo criteria for a bit and I'll put it in the original post when I edit it (shortly). I don't want to make it intimidating to anyone. I'd rather encourage people to send whatever they can, but at the same time, you're right -- some standardization (when practical) would be desirable.

As a quick answer on the photos, I can take whatever format people want to send (jpg, tiff, or just about anything else, but I bet most people will have jpg files). I can opt to have them e-mailed to me, but if someone has ideas like Photobucket where they can be easily placed so I can grab them, that would work, too (and is easy for me). Size-wise, bigger ones are better since they give me more to work with them before sizing them down. Too small and I don't have much room for error or for cropping if needed. Too large and they might encounter e-mail difficulties. Files around .5MB (500kb) up to around 2MB ought to work really well. Any file name convention is OK since I'll have to rename them eventually anyway for posting.

On you're contact options, I tried sending you another message, but it eventually sends me a "this page cannot be displayed" message. I can't tell what I'm doing wrong (if anything). :(

Thanks again for you quick help. :)

diredesire
11-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Not a prob, you can reach me at diredesire @ hotmail (if necessary)

I have no preferences with stickies, but I don't like seeing stickies that turn into big discussion threads. I think this one won't have that problem, and if it becomes a problem we can just make a separate discussion thread!

-DD

flash9
11-15-2006, 05:19 AM
I say LOCK IT! Move the discussion to a new thread, keep it clean!

Let other threads be discussions.

varuscelli
11-15-2006, 07:24 AM
I say LOCK IT! Move the discussion to a new thread, keep it clean!

Let other threads be discussions.

My problem with this is that I don't have enough experience dealing with any kind of thread that needs/warrants locking.

On the one hand, locking it doesn't clutter it up with a bunch of other follow-up discussion.

On the other hand, if it's not locked, people aways know where to post to it with questions/comments (for instance, if participation falls off at some point to more of a trickle than a flood).

I dunno. I'd like to defer to diredesire as the more experienced forum person. I'm afraid that my own decision (if I'm the one to decide) would be based too much on inexperience.

Let me ask, though. If locked, would I still be able to go into it at modify the original post as I figure out more stuff that I need to pass along? Or would it be locked to me as well? If so, that might present a problem if I have to post new but unstickied info.

Maybe a compromise would be to leave it open for a few days then lock it after I've got as much relevant info posted in the first message as needed.

Do any of those "takes" make more sense than another? Is there a clear-cut way that's best?

diredesire
11-16-2006, 01:15 PM
My problem with this is that I don't have enough experience dealing with any kind of thread that needs/warrants locking.

On the one hand, locking it doesn't clutter it up with a bunch of other follow-up discussion.

On the other hand, if it's not locked, people aways know where to post to it with questions/comments (for instance, if participation falls off at some point to more of a trickle than a flood).

I dunno. I'd like to defer to diredesire as the more experienced forum person. I'm afraid that my own decision (if I'm the one to decide) would be based too much on inexperience.

Let me ask, though. If locked, would I still be able to go into it at modify the original post as I figure out more stuff that I need to pass along? Or would it be locked to me as well? If so, that might present a problem if I have to post new but unstickied info.

Maybe a compromise would be to leave it open for a few days then lock it after I've got as much relevant info posted in the first message as needed.

Do any of those "takes" make more sense than another? Is there a clear-cut way that's best?

As you can see, the sticky has plenty of discussion, not much of which is very useful to the project. I personally would lock it, but I can edit/post to locked threads. I don't believe that you could edit a post once it is locked, but you could always shoot me an e-mail. Since this project is still young, we can run with it as it is and make changes later.

A suggestion: You could lock the thread, and leave a link to a "discussion" thread in the original post. Then, if you have any specific changes you want to make, i'll find a way where we can make them, etc. I'm pretty flexible, and I think it's a neat project. We can figure something out, i'm sure.

varuscelli
11-16-2006, 01:38 PM
As you can see, the sticky has plenty of discussion, not much of which is very useful to the project. I personally would lock it, but I can edit/post to locked threads. I don't believe that you could edit a post once it is locked, but you could always shoot me an e-mail. Since this project is still young, we can run with it as it is and make changes later.

Let's do as you said with running with it for a bit then locking it later. (Soon, though, but I have a couple of things I might want to stick in there while it's easy for me to do so without bothering you to do it. But maybe after it's locked, perhaps delete the extra discussion that took place beyond the first post? Hmm. I dunno.

A suggestion: You could lock the thread, and leave a link to a "discussion" thread in the original post. Then, if you have any specific changes you want to make, i'll find a way where we can make them, etc. I'm pretty flexible, and I think it's a neat project. We can figure something out, i'm sure.

Good idea about the discussion thread (sort of a floating thread that would come and go as it was posted to, with the sticky left as a sticky). Sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the flexibility on that. Excellent. :)