PDA

View Full Version : Gamma/Tenex 600 Tension Spring

SteveW
11-14-2006, 11:50 AM
I just bought a used Tenex 6000 (same as Gamma 6000, since discontinued) and the tension is accurate, but the adjustment screw is near the end of it's adjustment. The previous owner did not reset the spring to 0 after he was done stringing, so that's probably affected the spring tension.

Can a new tension spring be bought from Gamma for discontinued machines? Is this simple to install?

Or would the spring probably be fine if I do just take it back to 0 when I'm done with the machine?

Hopefully Brett or one of you can answer this.

Thanks!

LttlElvis
11-14-2006, 01:02 PM
I have never replaced a Tenex spring, but I have replaced an Eagnas spring and Prince Neos spring. Very simple to do, and if I remember correctly, the springs were very similar if not identical.

If you have determined that your machine is tensioning accurately, I am not sure if you really want to change the spring. It takes a lot for a tensioner spring to either break or lose its' coil memory. However, they are less then $10, so no big loss.

Gamma Tech
11-15-2006, 10:19 AM
I wouldn't mess with the spring right now if I were you, I doubt it has lost its memory, it either needs to be pulled or compressed solid (high tension) to damage the spring. There are a couple other adjustments that can be made on the machine too to fine tune the calibration. I would set it to the correct tension now and check the it about every 30-50 rqts. Just because the calibration is off doesn't mean the spring is bad.

I do have replacement springs & it would take about 1 minute to change. you have to be careful when replacing a spring, if you rotate the spring even 90 degrees it will affect the calibration and the tension curve. it maybe correct at 60lbs, but then off at 30lbs. if you have the correct tension at 30 & 70lbs, then all the tensions in-between are correct. I wouldn't put it back to 0 lbs. if there isn't enough pre-load on the spring it can fall out of the groove in the plate or the spring can rotate.

you can find a copy of the manual for calibration procedures or addition info @ www.gammasports.com (http://www.gammasports.com)and look under "Product Manuals".

bret

SteveW
11-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks Bret, I've got a few other questions..

- if the tension spring shouldn't be set to 0, what should it be left at when not used? This issue is a bit confusing as some people indicate it should be set to 0 when not used and others don't.

- when not in use, should the tension lever be set to it's "locked" position, so the tension head can still be cranked? I know there's a spring in there, so I want to make sure it's not being unecessarily stressed.

- there is a screw just at the back of the self tightening clamp on the tensioning head. What does this do? I can't find a description of it's function in the manual.

- I have all the throat adapters as described in the manual. Are there any updated ones that I need for wide body racquets? Are there any updates to the side support arm adapters?

Thanks a lot.

Steve.

Gamma Tech
11-17-2006, 05:22 AM
T
- if the tension spring shouldn't be set to 0, what should it be left at when not used? This issue is a bit confusing as some people indicate it should be set to 0 when not used and others don't.
I would just leave it at the tension you string your racquets.

- when not in use, should the tension lever be set to it's "locked" position, so the tension head can still be cranked? I know there's a spring in there, so I want to make sure it's not being unecessarily stressed.
it doesn't matter.

- there is a screw just at the back of the self tightening clamp on the tensioning head. What does this do? I can't find a description of it's function in the manual. I think that you are talking about the gripper plate adjustment screw. as the plates travel further they get tighter, if the screw is all the way out the plates will go all the way in. If the string is a larger gauge it will mark it. If the screw is all the way in the plates won't travel as far for thicker gauges of string, but thinner gauges will slip.

- I have all the throat adapters as described in the manual. Are there any updated ones that I need for wide body racquets? Are there any updates to the side support arm adapters? There were never any upgrades made for the 6000 machine and none of the new upgrades will fit on it.

bret