PDA

View Full Version : Codewords

Starwind
11-14-2006, 03:50 PM
You guys have any local tennis phrases that you use?

In the m i d w e s t we have some interesting phrases. One of them is...

Treeing- To hit a shot that you cannot hit any better, because you have the reached your peak, or the top of the tree. It's really fun say TREE when youre playing someone and they hit a ridiculous shot. Its even more fun when you call every shot they hit, especially the easiest ones, a tree.

example....

Kid 1: "Hey, I heard Danny McShankins raped your *** 0 and 0 the other day. What's with that?"

Kid 2: "He tree'd out his mind. He hit massive trees all day long."

looseswing
11-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Over here we have a lot of stuff like number, which made me crack up when I read it. Also stuff like "he played out of his mind" or "sick shot!" But usually it just lapses into a curse word followed by amazing.

Also, a kid on our tennis team yells out "Kobe!" really loud whenever someone does soemthing cool. He even got a shirt made that says Kobe! on it.

thejackal
11-14-2006, 08:24 PM
personally, the f-word. a lot.

Duzza
11-15-2006, 12:56 AM
Not really. A mate and I have a bit of fun in doubles though.

-When your about to hit a shot get your partner to yell like "DOWN THE LINE!" and then go complete opposite direction, or if you know the opponents names, yell out one name and go the other ;)

-Codeword Jelly, when we shout it the person about to hit the ball at the net misses on purpose and player behind finishes the shot :D

Pretty funny to watch.

Cheerleader
11-20-2006, 09:20 AM
I have lots of code words. Here's a few I use:

Code word = Waffle Serve. Kick Serve out wide and returner has to go into fence to return it. Fence marks make them look like a waffle, get it? We use it a lot in MxD. My partner can hit heavy kick.

Code word = Woolseeya! Overhead that goes over the fence.

Code word = Velveeta. Used for opponents with "cheesy" serves.

Hugs!

LASVEGAS ACES
11-21-2006, 07:54 AM
"LAG" for "Like A Girl" - Clothes, topspin, serve, anything can be LAG
similar to LAME.

It came up when we were first really impressed by top local High School girls- How they seemed to be hitting so hard and all (like when we were about
11-12 years old).
Now we just shake our heads at what we must have been thinking just such a short time ago.

nViATi
11-23-2006, 11:15 AM
There's a guy on my high school team who really stinks. He can hit two decent shots (max) before hitting the fence with zero bounce or hitting the ball so it bounces on his side first. Whenever someone hits a really bad shot we call it that guy's name. I'll be nice and not say it :p

slice bh compliment
11-23-2006, 11:21 AM
I know this is a juniors sub-forum, but I played a lot of junior tennis, so I hope I'm not unwelcome here. Anyway, the expression 'treeing' has been around since the 80's. On both coasts, as far as I recall.

jamumafa
11-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Tonking -Like tanking - but the ball actually going in nearly every time.

Starwind
11-25-2006, 05:59 PM
I know this is a juniors sub-forum, but I played a lot of junior tennis, so I hope I'm not unwelcome here. Anyway, the expression 'treeing' has been around since the 80's. On both coasts, as far as I recall.

Seriously? I thought it was only a ******* thing. Any clue as to the origins of the phrase?

slice bh compliment
11-25-2006, 06:31 PM
Seriously? I thought it was only a ******* thing. Any clue as to the origins of the phrase?

He is playing out of his mind....hitting the ball a ton.....like he is hitting from a tree>>>Treeing.

nirib001
11-28-2006, 12:55 PM
when a shot comes to you at the perfect level and you cant hit it any better, my people call it weelhouse!

Dunlopkid
11-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Yeah, these codewords, I think, are more universal than local. I think wheelhouse is pretty common.

westy
12-02-2006, 01:06 PM
me and my freinds have a couple:

"UNLEASH!!!!" - has to be shouted in a deep voice - a term for smaking a 1 hander as u hit it and hoping u hit a winner of it, it has become a speciality of one of my frends he actually dus it in matches!!!

"Pan" - when the ball come down from a height and bounces high, the player puts non dominant hand on hip, and, holding racket dead flat (face facing back fence), extends elbow directly infront of him htting ball almost strainght down

"you cant teach that" - when someone does a hirrendously lucky shot thats was obviously not intended - or when someone does a hirrendously bad shot

Amone
12-02-2006, 03:49 PM
"Buffalo" - Doubles term, to miss an overhead and have your partner get it.

Tour 90
12-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Sometimes my friend and I call out someones name on the other team and then smack a winner at the other guy. Works very well, but I don't do it in ranked matches it will give you a bad reputation. (and I don't play doubles anyway! ;) )

Feņa14
12-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Hmm not as such.

Once me and my mate were reading Cosmo at school and when there was a slightly unattractive lady in there we coined the phrase "2 and 8" as it rhymed with "state"... so basically saying that the lady was a bit of a state.

Whenever we play tennis (which isn't often) and he makes a hash of things I often taunt him with our "2 and 8" phrase. He has a really short fuse so it's good to wind him up :)