PDA

View Full Version : Yonex RDS 001 MP Review

jdeloach
11-14-2006, 05:19 PM
Thank you to pNoyr3D for the guidelines for writing this review.

Yonex RDS 001 MidPlus Review

Design 8/10
This is definitely one area of the racquet that Yonex could improve on. The paintjob in my opinion is not so great. Sure if you like yellow, then you will love it. Would have looked better sticking to something more like RDX racquets. Once you look past the paint, the shape is very refreshing. With the trademark square head, this racquet really sticks out in a crowd. The graphics are placed in the right place and against the Yellow background, they show up well.
As far as the grip goes……not so great! I tried to get use to the Yonex Cushion Grip, but could not do it. It is extremely soft and feels cheap. Adding an over-grip will help somewhat, but I chose to add a leather replacement. I highly recommend the leather, really changes the feel. Plus it softens the hideous yellow and makes it look more conservative.

Overall – Really like the shape, not the paint.

Groundstrokes 9/10
This is definitely the RDS’s strongest area in my opinion. Hitting forehands is a pleasure compared to other racquets I have used in the past. The 322 swingweight provides enough weight to power the ball, while still light enough to crank a forehand down the line when desired. I was able to unload from the baseline, placing the ball deep on my opponent, never worrying about hitting the back fence. Being 8pts headlight, I could whip the racquet head and create amazing angles. The 98in head actually feels and plays a lot larger than it is.

On backhands I found that I was able to generate more power and spin with one hand versus two. This is OK with me, since I prefer one hand anyway. The control on my backhand was incredible with this racquet. I was able to hit more winners than ever. This was very surprising to my opponents, being that my backhand has always been my weakness. I really felt confident on every shot, and didn’t have to try so hard to move to my forehand side. This really conserved a lot of energy.

Overall – Rated 9 only because I believe with a little lead it could be better.

Volleys 10/10
Volleying has always been my strong suit. It only got better with the RDS. The racquet has a “buttery” feel when volleying. It truly feels like the stringbed grabs the ball, waits until you aim, and then releases it with just the right amount of pace. I was worried that the 11.7oz was going to get pushed around at the net, but that was not the case at all. The large sweetspot comes in handy while volleying. The head plays like a 105 inch. I highly recommend this racquet for serve & volley and doubles players.

Overall – Incredible in this area. Blew my nSix-One Tour 90 away.

Serves 7/10
I believe this is where the RDS is weakest. One positive thing is control. I had amazing control on my serves, especially kick-serves. The light head really allows me to get on top of the ball well. However, pace is a different story. I never seemed to get back all that I put into my swing. I changed my form many times, hoping it was something I was doing wrong, but unfortunately the pace was just average. I have always had a BIG serve, and the RDS made my first serves just OK. I know that this is something that will be easy to fix with a little lead tape here and there.

Overall – Definitely needs some lead to be an A+ serving stick. Control is great though.

Final Thoughts
Every racquets has their strong points as well as their weaknesses. I have hit with many racquets over the years, and the RDS001 MP is by far the best I have ever played with. The only weakness that the racquet has can be overcome with a little customization. If you have never experience a Yonex racquet, I highly recommend giving the RDS a look. It will surprise you with the way it plays, and you can always paint it.

Overall Score – 8.5/10

*Please remember this is strictly my opinion based on my experiences. If you disagree, then write your own review.

pNoyr3D
11-14-2006, 05:26 PM
Great review jdeloach!! Great detail you put into the review.. Looking forward for more reviews from you!

jcstennis
11-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Congrats great job!

If you could paint it... what color would you go for?! j/k.

Nice work here!

jdeloach
11-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Congrats great job!

If you could paint it... what color would you go for?! j/k.

Nice work here!

Probably similar to the RDX500....I really like that paintjob.

jcstennis
11-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Probably similar to the RDX500....I really like that paintjob.

ahhh, the cool midnight blue paint job with a little sprinkle of metallic flake! i wish my car had a PJ like my RDX!:grin:

bertrevert
11-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Good review.

I really don't think you can say "just paint it" as painting a racquet is a bit of a big deal really - see this forum sticky:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=84719

I have added 10g of lead at the base of the buttcap. Lead at the bottom has made it more HL, helped with the serve therefore, and given it greater heft. A lot of spin also results. It is a lot more accurate. It is better on returns now. It swings faster and better with lead at the buttcap.

This 10g of lead (a packet of 1/4 inch lead) has made it more like my RDS 001 MID which I like better, however I get more balls back with the MP so far.

Now my 001 MID and MP are almost the same static weight and HL balance.

The MP is a very consistent racquet. The sweet spot is more like a 100 sq. in. racquet and it does some good baseline bashing.

Downsides: the top of the hoop feels like it flexes too much. It feels "floppy" and "judders" when I make contact too high. Could be because I have weighted the handle.

I didn't find it very manouverable for volleys. Adequate. Not responsive.

I don't believe it very good at all for serving. No bombs.

(PS. have it strung at 58lbs with Head RIP Control.)

ajaxman
11-15-2006, 02:47 AM
good review

wich leather grip are you using?
and wich string?

mfa81
11-15-2006, 03:00 AM
Overall – Rated 9 only because I believe with a little lead it could be better

Where do you sugest put the lead ? A little lead at 9 and 3 position will improve power on grounstrokes and serve, I guess.

samster
11-15-2006, 03:13 AM
thanks for the review, I can't wait to string up this puppy and take it to the court.

jdeloach
11-15-2006, 05:33 AM
good review

Thanks.

wich leather grip are you using?

Vantage Leather replacement

and wich string?

Babolat Tonic Natural Gut 16g @ 60lbs

hughsiss
11-15-2006, 06:32 AM
Excellent review JD

Are you going to do for the RDX?

Would be great if you did.

Rafa's best friend
11-15-2006, 06:35 AM
This review could be the best ever for a tennis racket, this could be a God's gift to a tennis player................

jdeloach
11-15-2006, 06:36 AM
This review could be the best ever for a tennis racket, this could be a God's gift to a tennis player................

Wow, thanks. That makes me feel pretty good.

jdeloach
11-15-2006, 06:43 AM
Excellent review JD

Are you going to do for the RDX?

Would be great if you did.

I will do the RDX if you all want. You need to give me a a couple more days of hitting with it.

tennisguy2121
11-15-2006, 07:51 AM
i played with the rds001 mp for a few weeks with all poly. I agreee with most of your scores, except i kinda like the paint job lol, and i served great with it, and did not lose any pop on my flat serve either. I love the racquet, feels great.

javier sergio
12-05-2006, 05:57 AM
Thank you to pNoyr3D for the guidelines for writing this review.

Yonex RDS 001 MidPlus Review

Design 8/10
This is definitely one area of the racquet that Yonex could improve on. The paintjob in my opinion is not so great. Sure if you like yellow, then you will love it. Would have looked better sticking to something more like RDX racquets. Once you look past the paint, the shape is very refreshing. With the trademark square head, this racquet really sticks out in a crowd. The graphics are placed in the right place and against the Yellow background, they show up well.
As far as the grip goes……not so great! I tried to get use to the Yonex Cushion Grip, but could not do it. It is extremely soft and feels cheap. Adding an over-grip will help somewhat, but I chose to add a leather replacement. I highly recommend the leather, really changes the feel. Plus it softens the hideous yellow and makes it look more conservative.

Overall – Really like the shape, not the paint.

Groundstrokes 9/10
This is definitely the RDS’s strongest area in my opinion. Hitting forehands is a pleasure compared to other racquets I have used in the past. The 322 swingweight provides enough weight to power the ball, while still light enough to crank a forehand down the line when desired. I was able to unload from the baseline, placing the ball deep on my opponent, never worrying about hitting the back fence. Being 8pts headlight, I could whip the racquet head and create amazing angles. The 98in head actually feels and plays a lot larger than it is.

On backhands I found that I was able to generate more power and spin with one hand versus two. This is OK with me, since I prefer one hand anyway. The control on my backhand was incredible with this racquet. I was able to hit more winners than ever. This was very surprising to my opponents, being that my backhand has always been my weakness. I really felt confident on every shot, and didn’t have to try so hard to move to my forehand side. This really conserved a lot of energy.

Overall – Rated 9 only because I believe with a little lead it could be better.

Volleys 10/10
Volleying has always been my strong suit. It only got better with the RDS. The racquet has a “buttery” feel when volleying. It truly feels like the stringbed grabs the ball, waits until you aim, and then releases it with just the right amount of pace. I was worried that the 11.7oz was going to get pushed around at the net, but that was not the case at all. The large sweetspot comes in handy while volleying. The head plays like a 105 inch. I highly recommend this racquet for serve & volley and doubles players.

Overall – Incredible in this area. Blew my nSix-One Tour 90 away.

Serves 7/10
I believe this is where the RDS is weakest. One positive thing is control. I had amazing control on my serves, especially kick-serves. The light head really allows me to get on top of the ball well. However, pace is a different story. I never seemed to get back all that I put into my swing. I changed my form many times, hoping it was something I was doing wrong, but unfortunately the pace was just average. I have always had a BIG serve, and the RDS made my first serves just OK. I know that this is something that will be easy to fix with a little lead tape here and there.

Overall – Definitely needs some lead to be an A+ serving stick. Control is great though.

Final Thoughts
Every racquets has their strong points as well as their weaknesses. I have hit with many racquets over the years, and the RDS001 MP is by far the best I have ever played with. The only weakness that the racquet has can be overcome with a little customization. If you have never experience a Yonex racquet, I highly recommend giving the RDS a look. It will surprise you with the way it plays, and you can always paint it.

Overall Score – 8.5/10

*Please remember this is strictly my opinion based on my experiences. If you disagree, then write your own review.

How was you string set up ? thanks a lot !!!!!

jdeloach
12-05-2006, 06:19 AM
How was you string set up ? thanks a lot !!!!!

I had NXT 16g strung at 60lbs.

javier sergio
12-05-2006, 09:16 AM
[QUOTE=jdeloach;1101989]I had NXT 16g strung at 60lbs.[/QUOTE

JDeloach since you're Yonex member # 001 I guess you are the president.....any requierements to join the club?

dewey2110
12-05-2006, 09:25 AM
[/QUOTE] JDeloach since you're Yonex member # 001 I guess you are the president.....any requierements to join the club?[/QUOTE]

LOL, Javier, how do you like the racquet? Just go and post something in the Yonex Thread and you'll be a member...

javier sergio
12-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Hi D,

the racquet is excellent, I love it !!! unfortunatelly I am playing a league that's about to finish and I am afraid to play the RDS right now !!!

Groundstrokes I would say; 9/10. Personally I can't find my topspin backhand, hitting slice is really great.

Volleys; 10/10 I agree with JDeloach. The feel of the ball in this area is amazing

Serves: 6/10 just fine. I have not practiced enough to adjust my stroke from the iRadical OS. So the rate is not really my final opinion.

Design; I find the design/cosmetics/color really interesting, kind of retro the graphics (typography resembles some of the 70's)
I think Yonex should update their dated logo/image design

StealthGnome
12-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi D,

the racquet is excellent, I love it !!! unfortunatelly I am playing a league that's about to finish and I am afraid to play the RDS right now !!!

Groundstrokes I would say; 9/10. Personally I can't find my topspin backhand, hitting slice is really great.

Volleys; 10/10 I agree with JDeloach. The feel of the ball in this area is amazing

Serves: 6/10 just fine. I have not practiced enough to adjust my stroke from the iRadical OS. So the rate is not really my final opinion.

Design; I find the design/cosmetics/color really interesting, kind of retro the graphics (typography resembles some of the 70's)
I think Yonex should update their dated logo/image design

I am using an i.Rad OS.
How would you compare the two in those terms?

javier sergio
12-20-2006, 07:20 AM
I am using an i.Rad OS.
How would you compare the two in those terms?

How to compare both????
-Swingweight and static weight is a hugh difference (RDS is heavier and the SW higher and you fell it when you play for more than one hour).
-Flex also, the RDS is more flexible.

In terms of strokes; the iRadical serves better (with some lead), but in any other area the RDS fells (and really is) a lot better and more solid.

Have you played both?

StealthGnome
12-29-2006, 06:25 PM
How to compare both????
-Swingweight and static weight is a hugh difference (RDS is heavier and the SW higher and you fell it when you play for more than one hour).
-Flex also, the RDS is more flexible.

In terms of strokes; the iRadical serves better (with some lead), but in any other area the RDS fells (and really is) a lot better and more solid.

Have you played both?

I've been dragging to demo a few. Including the RDS. I should started to demo before the end of Winter Break. Now I just don't have enough time. I'll just wait until Spring Break.

LarougeNY
12-29-2006, 06:34 PM
well could you compare the buttery feel to that of the mpro#1 98?
also how would you describe the power in comparison to the pd+ or the mpro 98?

also, is it a very stiff racket?

tennis_hand
12-30-2006, 08:22 AM
The paint is not that bad. I like a bright color such as the RDS' and also Wilson nPro's green. It just lights up the mood than the old dull black and red paint jobs.

StealthGnome
01-14-2007, 10:32 AM
The paint is not that bad. I like a bright color such as the RDS' and also Wilson nPro's green. It just lights up the mood than the old dull black and red paint jobs.

Ditto. :-D

LarougeNY
01-14-2007, 10:40 AM
so you think its even better thant the RDX in every aspect?

tennis_hand
01-14-2007, 04:36 PM
I think it is supposedly better. Static weight has increased from the RDX, but the swing weight also increased a little. RDS is at 320+ swing weight, while RDX at 310+. 310+ is really low, but I am not sure about the RDS'.

AndrewD
01-15-2007, 03:42 AM
The RDS 001 is the first Yonex racquet I've tried (over a 24 year period) that I have enjoyed and feel I could quite happily use. That's pretty much the biggest compliment I can give it.

I am surprised to see that two people had trouble serving with the RDS 001. In general, that has been the one area I've struggled with all Yonex racquets, but found the RDS 001 to offer excellent spin, control and power. My amendment, to what jdeloach posted, is that the racquet doesn't require lead in order to be an A+ serving racquet, unless the very head light balance throws off your timing. For me, 8pts+ is perfect, but I realise others like a bit more weight up top. As I play only doubles these days, the stock balance is a better fit, proves more nimble at net and allows me to generate a bit more spin and kick on serves (the idea in doubles being to set up your partner or make good position for the first volley, not just try to serve aces).

Other than that, I pretty much agree with jdeloach's assessment. The RDS 001 is an exceptionally versatile racquet that should work just as well for the doubles player/serve-volleyer, the baseliner or the all-courter. It does everything well, a couple of things exceptionally well (volleys, slice backhands), seems to be relatively arm-friendly (Ive had some arm issues of late but none after using the RDS 001 MP) and could well suit players from 3.5 up.

White_Rice
01-15-2007, 04:41 AM
Best
Racquet
Ever

mfa81
01-15-2007, 06:51 AM
I am demoning since last week, It is very difficult to me to swing the frame and it hurts my elbow after about 30 minutes on court... I played with it for about 1 hour on Wednesday and 1 hour and a half Thursday night. I liked much more the fell, power and control of RDX 500 MP, Another thing is that the theoretically stiffer Babolat Pure Control Standard doesn't hurts my elbow and RDS 001 MP does... I am using demo string, but I know that it is strung with nylon strings@60

rykwon
01-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Babalot PDR convert here. Tried both RDS 001 mp and RDX 500 mp. the RDS 001 mp fit me great! The feel, power, and control was just outstanding for me. RDX 500 was too "buttery". RDS was more solid, crisp. just my $0.02:)

Tempyst
01-15-2007, 10:15 AM
jdeloach, have you tried the mid? If so, what do you think of it compared to the mp?

jdeloach
01-15-2007, 10:22 AM
jdeloach, have you tried the mid? If so, what do you think of it compared to the mp?

I have. It felt very similar, but I was volleying better with the MP (don't know why) My serves seemed to have more POP also. I plan on giving the mid another go pretty soon, I just love 90" frames.

bertrevert
01-15-2007, 03:22 PM
The RDS 001 is the first Yonex racquet I've tried (over a 24 year period) that I have enjoyed and feel I could quite happily use. That's pretty much the biggest compliment I can give it.

I am surprised to see that two people had [trouble?] serving with the RDS 001. In general, that has been the one area I've struggled with all Yonex racquets, but found the RDS 001 to offer excellent spin, control and power.

Wow, AndrewD that's a pretty high assessment coming from you, and shows that the racquet is indeed ok. You haven't given that sort of assessment in years on this board...

My RDS 001 MP in match play is a good blend of conservativism and power - it has plenty of spin on tap to keep balls well within lines, and yet is powerful.

Yes I had trouble serving with it to begin with. The MP just didn't have the punch of the 001 MID and my old LM Rad.

What i did was bring it up to 352g strung weight (up from 332g in stock form). That 20g is split between 2 and 10 in the hoop, and the rest at the buttcap. But I made it 10pts headlight. What i was doing was make my 001 MP try to emulate the manouverability and weight of the 001 MID. It now serves a whole lot better.

It's more lead than I've ever added to a racquet. Because I think in stock form it doesn't serve very well (compared to say the 001 MID or any other serving stick).

Also the extra weight has added stability and control.

I tried the MID in matchplay but just couldn't succeed with it in singles, in doubles it is better and like a pure blade on volleys at the net. Just in singles I'd find the 90 underpowered in match play.

(I have my MP strung with Head RIP Control at 58lbs).

This represents the best customisation I've done on a racquet. Reading about SW and polarisation helped me understand what I was aiming for.

You like your POG don't you? How do you compare the 001 MP to that?

AndrewD
01-16-2007, 05:30 AM
bertrevert,

I don't mean to be deliberately stingy with the praise but I do believe there are only a small handful of racquets which, whether they suit me or not, genuinely offer something 'special' and are deserving of attention.

Again, I'm surprised to see someone who didn't serve well with it stock. Why is it you had trouble serving with it? Was it due to the sweetspot being higher up than you're using to or the weight affecting your timing?

I do like the POG mid and would continue to use it if I were younger and/or playing more regularly. While I can generate excellent power on serve and groundstrokes, plus heavy spin for both I struggle on the return of serve and I'd like something that was more of a 'natural' at net.

dacrymn
01-16-2007, 08:21 AM
I came from a Liquidmetal 4, and when I started serving, it was pretty horrible. The liquidmetal was head heavy, so it was a very difficult transition. Just a week ago I decided to experiment with lead, due to all of your results. However, some guy (i trust him) told me something wrong with my serve, and now I serve actually pretty well now, without messing around with all the lead. Now, my question is, will lead IMPROVE my serving even more? I can already get it to kick up to someone's head (he's not tall nor short...... i'd estimate maybe 5'8" or less). What will the lead do for me on serves AND groundstrokes (my groundstrokes aren't bad either). Is it even necessary?
________
Ford Fairlane picture (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Fairlane)

bertrevert
01-16-2007, 01:26 PM
Hi AndrewD

I couldn't get the racquet to really spit. On serve I'm fast flight with a low toss. Making my RDS 001 MP more HL alllowed a faster action and aded more mass to hit a heavier ball. I had the MP the MID and my LM Rad in serving sessions and adding the lead to the MP brought it to behave like these others. Of course thereby complementing my existing timing. I think the upper hoop of a Yonex is a bit wishy washy and adding lead there seemed to solidify it. The sweetspot is high but I perfer that (having always used Dunlops).

There's less deflection in the whole frame with added mass. I get a ton more spin. And it stands up in returns.

I do0n't know what you think but it's a bit of an ugly beast, kind of Jap-retro meets Hewitt-nitro. Just it's a racquet I'm winning with at amateur level.

I'm trying to figure out if it got 'feel' though. I'm not coming to the net as much as I used to. Sometimes that upper hoop melts away on nasty net stuff.

Dacrymn,
Yeah I do reckon experiment with lead. Add it and subtract it, and see how it affects things. It's a process. However if your technique hasn't settled down so far and you are already making progress then don't worry about lead.

I add lead to add mass to hit a heavier ball. However the first thing that happens is that your timing has to adjust (takes typically 1-2 hours for me and 1-4 weeks to be totally confident in match play, and really 3 months to totally feel at home with a racquet - depending on how often you play).

I needed more HL weight in my 001 MP so as to make for a faster, heavier action in the service motion. Also it steadied my groundstrokes. Adding mass smoothed my strokes and pushes a more certain serve

Of course I aim to balance weight against what I can carry all through a match or a long rally.

headfan91
01-19-2007, 06:24 AM
I have a question about your lead setup. WHat made you put lead at 2 and 10 rather than 3&9? if you put it at 3&9 instead, how would it affect the playability?

bertrevert
01-20-2007, 02:13 AM
I felt that given the squareness of the Yonex hoop that 2 and 10 seemed the more natural spot. Moreover at 3 and 9 you often get some widening off the sweetspot which is really not needed with the huge area in the RDS 001 MP already there.

I was polarizing the racquet too (putting lead aat either end, hoop and handle) while making it a bit more HL, shifting the balance point down. I didn't want the lead at 12 either.

If I just wanted mass without affecting anything I'd have just added it in the handle at the base of the yoke.

I found that 2 and 10 seemed right in the rounded corners. Wamted it higher than 3 and 9 and wanted to stabilise the upper hoop of the Yonex too. More mass has done that (it is less prone to deflection).

martin
02-25-2007, 03:14 PM
jdeloach.
Thanks for all the reviews. It is very helpful. Can you give a comparison between the pure storm and the rds mp in the power department. The ps is obviously more powerful but is there's just a slight difference in power or is there a big difference?
This is because if i would pick one of these rackets i don't want to mess too much with lead otherwise the racket maybe gets too powerful.

tennis_nerd22
02-25-2007, 03:52 PM
jdeloach.
Thanks for all the reviews. It is very helpful. Can you give a comparison between the pure storm and the rds mp in the power department. The ps is obviously more powerful but is there's just a slight difference in power or is there a big difference?
This is because if i would pick one of these rackets i don't want to mess too much with lead otherwise the racket maybe gets too powerful.

hey, i have both. i would say the pure storm is (as you guessed) more powerful, and by a fair margin. on a scale of 1-10, the rds 001 mp gets a 7 and the storm an 8.5 :)

btw, the rds is more for a fast swing (all-courter/aggressive player). if you really like to whip around your racket, the pure storm IS NOT for you.
however, if you have a slower swingspeed (counter-puncher type), the pure storm should be your choice

i know im not jdeloach, but i thought i should post cuz these are both my two main rackets ;)

hope this helps, feel free to ask any more questions :)

Safina
03-22-2007, 07:26 PM
hrrrmm, i have yet to play with the Storm, but I was under the impression that it IS for people that really like to whip the racquet around
and take advantage of its light weight.
the "modern aggressive baseline" game... no?
sort of like the nBlade mp? no?

Noveson
03-22-2007, 07:29 PM
hrrrmm, i have yet to play with the Storm, but I was under the impression that it IS for people that really like to whip the racquet around
and take advantage of its light weight.
the "modern aggressive baseline" game... no?
sort of like the nBlade mp? no?

That is what I thought also, but I demoed it, and it to me was more suited to a controlling type baseline game, or a flat ball hitter. I didn't find much spin to be had, but there was a lot of directional control and it served nice. I like my 001s waaaaaaay better from the baseline. Easy to get around and put the ball where you want.

samster
06-23-2007, 07:56 AM
Just used this racket, RDS 001 MP, for the first time today. I played with the RDX 500 MP before and this one is different in that the feel is more crisp/firm but not uncomfortable.

Spin generation is about the same as the RDX 500 MP. The ground strokes are solid though my 1hbh has not grooved with this frame yet.

There is more power on the serves with this compared with the RDX 500 MP though I still had some trouble with the flat serve somewhat. Regardless, I was able to mix up slice, kick, and occasionally a flat serve with efficacy.

This is a fine racket.

Dumbledore
12-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Compared to the RDS 002 Tour L the 001 is more ore less powerfull on groundies? Thanks

theone
12-17-2007, 08:38 AM
Everyone seems to say the 001 MP is less powerfull than the 002 Tour yes.

Sandia Slice
01-17-2008, 07:03 PM
I demoed an RDS001 MP a couple months ago and it's as if your review was a reading of my mind. I agree with all of it. Especially the part about the serve. I felt I wasn't able to get my powerful first serve like I had in the past. So I decided on a Wiilson Zen instead because it had a bit more pop on the serve. After a couple of months, I'm ready to get rid of the Zen and try a RDS001 again. i can't stop thinking about how much control it gave me on my ground strokes. Maybe I could eventually adjust my serve so that it will be ok with the RDS001. I think think it's a fair trade of for the amazing control it provides in all other areas.

carlos djackal
04-22-2010, 07:14 PM
I was wondering since the price on this stick has gone down and cannot be ignored, where are you guys? THe review here has been pretty high, so have you guys switched to another frame or have you bought another of these, I wanted to know coz I am tempted to shell out some bucks with it, but through my searching I also came across with couple of negative comments about this frame........, I am currently using Fischer Mpro 98 and love it but I'm tempted with this one because of the price....

mdjenders
04-22-2010, 08:53 PM
am i the only one who feels like the rds 001 mp feels sluggish from the back of the court? feels like i am swinging something beefier like a wilson tour 90, something with a sw over 330. i love the quality, the paint, the spec "numbers", crisp/solid feeling of this one on groundies, but i just dont get the feeling that i can whip this frame around on demand. specs are right in line with what i like, but the frame almost feels head heavy to me (or like all the weight is clustered right in the bridge area, with very little in the handle). i feel the same thing with the volkl pb9, curiously.

dekko1
04-22-2010, 11:39 PM
I was wondering since the price on this stick has gone down and cannot be ignored, where are you guys? THe review here has been pretty high, so have you guys switched to another frame or have you bought another of these, I wanted to know coz I am tempted to shell out some bucks with it, but through my searching I also came across with couple of negative comments about this frame........, I am currently using Fischer Mpro 98 and love it but I'm tempted with this one because of the price....

It is a great racquet, and it is at such good value right now.
If Yonex repainted it, gave it a different name and released it as a new model, people would be raving about it.

0d1n
04-23-2010, 12:42 AM

The Yonex will give you nothing more when compared to the Fischer.
The RDS has similar power/control/maneuverability...with a stiffer feel. So...if you like the feel of your Fischers, just stick with them...they are a bit more stable as well.

carlos djackal
04-23-2010, 05:16 PM
The Yonex will give you nothing more when compared to the Fischer.
The RDS has similar power/control/maneuverability...with a stiffer feel. So...if you like the feel of your Fischers, just stick with them...they are a bit more stable as well.

noted, was wondering if you have tried the Head LM radical MP, it's also very cheap right now and one of the rackets I am tempted to buy for its low price, how does it compare?.......thanks..

Anton
04-23-2010, 07:08 PM
am i the only one who feels like the rds 001 mp feels sluggish from the back of the court? feels like i am swinging something beefier like a wilson tour 90, something with a sw over 330. i love the quality, the paint, the spec "numbers", crisp/solid feeling of this one on groundies, but i just dont get the feeling that i can whip this frame around on demand. specs are right in line with what i like, but the frame almost feels head heavy to me (or like all the weight is clustered right in the bridge area, with very little in the handle). i feel the same thing with the volkl pb9, curiously.

interesting you mention tour 90 - I think of RDS001MP as tweenish take on the 90 series.

Just got myself 4 frames - 2 grams of lead distributed 10 to 2 with TW leather on the handle and 16L poly at 60lbs.

With this more polarized setup the frame feels VERY whippy and fairly stable - very easy to play consistently with. The leather makes the frame feel much more substantial.

With all the loop I'm getting on my balls and racket flailing over my head on down the line shots I'm feeling distinctly Nadalish haha

mdjenders
04-24-2010, 12:10 AM
interesting you mention tour 90 - I think of RDS001MP as tweenish take on the 90 series.

Just got myself 4 frames - 2 grams of lead distributed 10 to 2 with TW leather on the handle and 16L poly at 60lbs.

With this more polarized setup the frame feels VERY whippy and fairly stable - very easy to play consistently with. The leather makes the frame feel much more substantial.

With all the loop I'm getting on my balls and racket flailing over my head on down the line shots I'm feeling distinctly Nadalish haha

thx for the information! i will slap a leather grip on mine to see how that feels. right now i feel like this is a smooth swinger's "let racket do the work" type of frame, when i really prefer something more nimble in the air.

nabbydian
04-24-2010, 12:24 AM
noted, was wondering if you have tried the Head LM radical MP, it's also very cheap right now and one of the rackets I am tempted to buy for its low price, how does it compare?.......thanks..

the RDS001 and LM Radical MP are quite different racquets in terms of specs. RDS001MP is 16x19 while LMRMP is 18x20, e RDS001MP is also around 20g heavier and more headlight.

i played both, the LM radical has been capped and base grip change to TW leather and they feel very different.

Groundstrokes:
Both are above average in terms of groundstrokes, the RDS has more control and direction with groundstrokes compared to LM which i tend to hit the ball long with more often. However with the LM it will be easier to impart power on your shots. there is no need to impart a full swing to hit throught the ball compared to the RDS.

Stability:
Both are not the most stable racquet around but RDS slightly is better over here and will be able to withstand tough rallies better.

Not the most detailed comparison but your choice should be based on your preferred specs.

carlos djackal
04-24-2010, 06:05 PM
the RDS001 and LM Radical MP are quite different racquets in terms of specs. RDS001MP is 16x19 while LMRMP is 18x20, e RDS001MP is also around 20g heavier and more headlight.

i played both, the LM radical has been capped and base grip change to TW leather and they feel very different.

Groundstrokes:
Both are above average in terms of groundstrokes, the RDS has more control and direction with groundstrokes compared to LM which i tend to hit the ball long with more often. However with the LM it will be easier to impart power on your shots. there is no need to impart a full swing to hit throught the ball compared to the RDS.

Stability:
Both are not the most stable racquet around but RDS slightly is better over here and will be able to withstand tough rallies better.

Not the most detailed comparison but your choice should be based on your preferred specs.

thanks for sharing, your insight is greatly appreciated, I will be ordering and my choice is between the two for the price, still contemplating of the choice I have to make though........

BC1
04-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Carlos, Let us know how your decision goes and why. I too have been looking at both of these because of the great prices. I know they are completely different racquets, but for the price it doesn't seem like you can go wrong with either.

The comments about the RDS001 poor serves have me concerned. My serve has always been my strong point of my game, and I'd hate to get a racquet that harms it. Any other comments about the serves? good, bad, indifferent.

el sergento
04-26-2010, 11:47 AM
I noticed the high flex rating of 68. How does this translate in the real world?? Is it a harsh stick? Would it be recomended for someone with a shoulder injury??

I like the specs of this stick but I'm afraid the high stiffness could cause shoulder pain.

Thanks

Anton
04-26-2010, 11:53 AM
The comments about the RDS001 poor serves have me concerned. My serve has always been my strong point of my game, and I'd hate to get a racquet that harms it. Any other comments about the serves? good, bad, indifferent.

I'm serving great with mine, but like I said the loop needs a little more weight to really get cracking.

Here is a vid of me serving 2 years ago with the older version of 001mp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMhkmpp7vNE

carlos djackal
04-27-2010, 03:39 AM
Carlos, Let us know how your decision goes and why. I too have been looking at both of these because of the great prices. I know they are completely different racquets, but for the price it doesn't seem like you can go wrong with either.

Oh, I'm still very confused right now......but basing on the posts that I have read I would lean on LM radical to be a better overall frame but I'm also worried about the string pattern 18x20 on my serve coz I rely on kick serves most of the time and I don't know how it would affect it......my experience with kblade 93 is not very satisfying....on serves that is...

rlee7777
04-27-2010, 05:05 AM
Oh, I'm still very confused right now......but basing on the posts that I have read I would lean on LM radical to be a better overall frame but I'm also worried about the string pattern 18x20 on my serve coz I rely on kick serves most of the time and I don't know how it would affect it......my experience with kblade 93 is not very satisfying....on serves that is...

I have the LM Rad MP and the RDS 001 90 Mid (not MP). The perceived weakness of the Yonex on the serves comes from the lack of power as compared to other frames. With the right strings, you can get plenty of pop and still have excellent control with the Yonex. If you have solid technique, this is less of an issue. The overall directional control of the RDS 001 is much better than the LM Rad MP and stability is high.

carlos djackal
04-27-2010, 07:25 AM
The overall directional control of the RDS 001 is much better than the LM Rad MP and stability is high.

I hope the RDS 001 MP does also....

BC1
04-27-2010, 09:05 AM
I hope the RDS 001 MP does also....

Does that mean you've made your decision and going with RDS 001 MP?

In addition, I'm now looking at the RDS 003, and liking the reviews I'm reading on it - it's a lighter, with more power, but you can lead it up if necessary. It's all so confusing!

carlos djackal
04-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Does that mean you've made your decision and going with RDS 001 MP?

In addition, I'm now looking at the RDS 003, and liking the reviews I'm reading on it - it's a lighter, with more power, but you can lead it up if necessary. It's all so confusing!

nope, not yet but the tide has turned to RDS 001 MP, yeah I also considered RDS 003 along with TT Warrior but not on top of my lists, and yes it's all so confusing!

zapvor
04-27-2010, 08:20 PM
i have a brand new one i need to string up!!!

KarmaKorps
05-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Groundstrokes are very good, including slice - volleys above average for sure (bought new from TW 2 months ago).
As for serves, I initially only found good placement and nice action on my kicker. Pace was something I really had to work on. I strung it with Spiky shark 17 on mains @57 lbs and Tonic+ Nat gut @54 on crosses. Comfortable and spinny but hitting too short in the court.
I kept switching back to my PDR+. My serve is the foundation of my game. I have a big 1st serve and a hard hitting twist/kicker.

I put the usual strips of lead at 3 and 9. A fair improvement in stability but not too noticable with spin and depth. I removed the tape, thinking a frame should be workable in stock form, without playing around with lead.
And so I put my 001mp for sale in the classifieds with plans to get a Youtek prestige MP 18x20 which was a great demo (so was the BLX six one 95, btw).
But I decided to make a last minute modification today, and it made my 001MP truly pop on serve.
I remembered seeing a thread on here that showed some pics of Stannis Warwrinka's Head youtek Prestige frames. There were rediculous 12+ inch length strips of lead tape on BOTH of the top outer ridges of his hoops. Like, 9'oclock all the way to 3. I couldn't believe it. I encourage you to just go see it. I thought about what that would do to the 001... slower to get the frame around but probably nice plow, pace, and improved stability... so i tried it and that's exactly what I got. I only put one strip of lead on, from 10 all the way to 2, and only on one side of the hoop. Brought the weight up to 341 grams (12.03 ozs), including overgrip. The racquet is still headlight, but I haven't balanced/measured it to see the reduction in HL points.

I played against two 4.5s today - split sets with both, and served big... not just big, but I got used to and expected to drop my first serve in. There was no way to explain this percentage improvement on anything but the new lead strip. The frame was slightly less whippy and apparently this dialed in my timing and the extra mass drove the ball harder. But since I was more confident, I swung the racquet freely, which probably brought the swingspeed back up to par.

both of my opponents talked about what I'd done to the frame and agreed the rallies were heavier - those guys were hitting a bit late on me. It was a great experience... but if I ever let up and wasnt prepared or failed to swing freely, I would be late. Im ok with this caveat. I have so much more confidence to swing big.
I could add a lead rod in the handle to polarize the frame, and I may do that, but for now - I'm good, and considering getting a 2nd one. The price is too good.
Good luck with the 001mp - I'm now a believer in the value of customization.

Anton
05-02-2010, 06:56 AM
Groundstrokes are very good, including slice - volleys above average for sure (bought new from TW 2 months ago).
As for serves, I initially only found good placement and nice action on my kicker. Pace was something I really had to work on. I strung it with Spiky shark 17 on mains @57 lbs and Tonic+ Nat gut @54 on crosses. Comfortable and spinny but hitting too short in the court.
I kept switching back to my PDR+. My serve is the foundation of my game. I have a big 1st serve and a hard hitting twist/kicker.

I put the usual strips of lead at 3 and 9. A fair improvement in stability but not too noticable with spin and depth. I removed the tape, thinking a frame should be workable in stock form, without playing around with lead.
And so I put my 001mp for sale in the classifieds with plans to get a Youtek prestige MP 18x20 which was a great demo (so was the BLX six one 95, btw).
But I decided to make a last minute modification today, and it made my 001MP truly pop on serve.
I remembered seeing a thread on here that showed some pics of Stannis Warwrinka's Head youtek Prestige frames. There were rediculous 12+ inch length strips of lead tape on BOTH of the top outer ridges of his hoops. Like, 9'oclock all the way to 3. I couldn't believe it. I encourage you to just go see it. I thought about what that would do to the 001... slower to get the frame around but probably nice plow, pace, and improved stability... so i tried it and that's exactly what I got. I only put one strip of lead on, from 10 all the way to 2, and only on one side of the hoop. Brought the weight up to 341 grams (12.03 ozs), including overgrip. The racquet is still headlight, but I haven't balanced/measured it to see the reduction in HL points.

I played against two 4.5s today - split sets with both, and served big... not just big, but I got used to and expected to drop my first serve in. There was no way to explain this percentage improvement on anything but the new lead strip. The frame was slightly less whippy and apparently this dialed in my timing and the extra mass drove the ball harder. But since I was more confident, I swung the racquet freely, which probably brought the swingspeed back up to par.

both of my opponents talked about what I'd done to the frame and agreed the rallies were heavier - those guys were hitting a bit late on me. It was a great experience... but if I ever let up and wasnt prepared or failed to swing freely, I would be late. Im ok with this caveat. I have so much more confidence to swing big.
I could add a lead rod in the handle to polarize the frame, and I may do that, but for now - I'm good, and considering getting a 2nd one. The price is too good.
Good luck with the 001mp - I'm now a believer in the value of customization.

Like I said needs lead 2 to 10, but it sounds like you put way too much on - cut it up into pieces and spread it out.

I have about 2g total there.

KarmaKorps
05-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Probably too much, yes. Played against another 4.5 today and fared worse - at least the serve was on though - two DFs in two sets... excellent for me. But I was starting to hit long on forehands, which made me more conservative on short balls and instead of putting them away I hit'em hard more toward the center, got to net and was then routinely passed. I also began to swing late on the FH side...

I'll probably split it up to three strips at 10, 12, and 2.