PDA

View Full Version : Flexpoint Prestige MP Users...

stormholloway
11-14-2006, 06:19 PM
I bought one of these yesterday and hit with it today for the first time. I like the feel of it but am having a bit of trouble adjusting to it. I'm used to more open string patterns and lower powered racquets so the switch is a bit jarring.

BTW, I've strung it at 52 lbs with Klip Legend 17. This racquet is powerful and is a monster on serves. I usually use topspin to keep my balls in but I'm letting a few fly long, though it's my first day hitting with it.

What can I expect in adjusting to this frame from say a PS85 and what technique adjustments should I make? I have a forehand moderate topspin and a one handed backhand that has generally relied on topspin for control. My backhand requires a little more precision and overall my groundstrokes are not dialed in. I find that when I hit through the ball flatter I get great depth and power but groundstrokes take a significant degree of precision.

Otherwise for serves and volleys this thing has been a dream.

Did anyone else who made a switch to this racquet (or a tighter string pattern in general) need to make any significant adjustments to their game?

sabi
11-14-2006, 08:19 PM
try a tighter string job. 52 lbs seems very low and is probably resulting in less bite on the ball. Did you mean 62 lbs, not 52?

DRtenniS1112
11-14-2006, 08:20 PM
I use this frame because I prefer the tighter patterns. I do not hit with a ton of topspin however I do use a fair amount. It has great control. Try flattening out a bit and you should be surprised at the control you receive from it.

stormholloway
11-14-2006, 09:28 PM
I'm stringing at 52 lbs. for extra dwell time and spin. I've heard people say they prefer lower tensions on these frames. I generally use tensions in the lower range.

Flattening out definitely rewards you, but my backhand is kind of like a Federer backhand, but much worse obviously. It brushes low to high very deliberately which doesn't seem to have much effect with this frame.

sabi
11-14-2006, 10:50 PM
Gotcha. You did say dwell time was important

I view the racquet differently from you. For me, more open string patterns, like the X1 or the new Hybrid O3 Tour are inherently much more powerful than a tighter string pattern. I have little problem keeping the ball in with the flexpoint prestige. I have an Alu power/multi hybrid strung at 57 lbs on the mains and crosses. I can hit flat and I can get very good bite and topspin on the ball. Having the strings tighter, in my view, allows the natural flex of the racquet to come out. With a stiff racquet like the PS85 (never hit with one but assuming its like the PS95 in that regard), you need flex in the strings, i.e., a lower string tension, to give you more feel, power, whatever. The opposite would appear to be true with the prestige, where a tighter string pattern would move the flex from the strings over to the racquet itself. And I view the flexpoint as flexible in comparison to other raquets, like the liquidmetal prestige was.

An adjustment period is needed on my backhand side, typically my stronger side. Forehands are a dream. Backhands are fine right now, but not as explose as the forehand yet

The flexpoint prestige MP seems like a great stick though.

What thoughts do others have?

bcsax123
11-15-2006, 08:41 AM
I switched from a POG OS for baseline topspin play, to FXP Prestige MP to all court flattish play. (Grip shapes make me hold i differently too)

I switch to my POG when I see my opponent is weak at returning topspin shots.

stormholloway
11-15-2006, 10:20 AM
I figure the way this racquet serves is worth adjusting my groundstrokes for. I can serve absolute bombs with this stick. And volleys are crips and accurate. It's really my one handed backhand that has had the most trouble but then again it's probably my trickiest stroke.

Perhaps as the gut loses a bit of tension I'll be able to see if lower tension helps or hurts me. If so, I'll raise it on the next string job.

Thanks for the input.

nyc
11-15-2006, 10:39 AM
took me a little tinkering to get it right.
played with tensions from 55 to 63 and settled at 62 strung with X1 biphase17 - personally, I didn't like the sub-60lbs tensions.
also added lead at 3 and 6 and underneath the grip to increase stability and give me a bit more heft.

StunLock
11-15-2006, 11:20 AM
is the sweetspot of the Fxp prestige 98 really smaller than other 98 racquets? how does it compare to other versions of prestige? from the customers feedback page of TW, many people said it has a fairly generous sweetspot size.

stormholloway
11-15-2006, 12:10 PM
The Prestige MP is actually 95" as Head measures them on the outside of the frame.

There is no doubt that the sweet spot is smaller than other midplus frames. This was why I went with the MP instead of the mid. I'm not quite to the point where I can hit consistently with the Prestige mid.

That said, with the midplus size hitting the sweetspot is not a problem. Hitting the strings in the upper hoop should be avoided but when you connect with the sweetspot of this racquet it's like it gives you a pat on the back and says "I'll take it from here." The ball it hits is heavy, and true. The stringbed is very consistent.

I'm used to using topspin to provide consistency on my shots but am more than willing to trade that in for power and direction. I'm in the midst of making these adjustments but I am quite pleased with this racquet.

As I said before, serves and volleys are unbelievable. This thing hits flat bombs like nothing. I much prefer the balance of the Prestige to that of the Pro Staff, which was my stick previously.

stormholloway
11-15-2006, 12:26 PM
took me a little tinkering to get it right.
played with tensions from 55 to 63 and settled at 62 strung with X1 biphase17 - personally, I didn't like the sub-60lbs tensions.
also added lead at 3 and 6 and underneath the grip to increase stability and give me a bit more heft.

What didn't you like about lower tensions? How did it affect your strokes?

Offshore
11-15-2006, 02:06 PM
The Prestige MP is actually 95" as Head measures them on the outside of the frame.

There is no doubt that the sweet spot is smaller than other midplus frames. This was why I went with the MP instead of the mid. I'm not quite to the point where I can hit consistently with the Prestige mid.

That said, with the midplus size hitting the sweetspot is not a problem. Hitting the strings in the upper hoop should be avoided but when you connect with the sweetspot of this racquet it's like it gives you a pat on the back and says "I'll take it from here." The ball it hits is heavy, and true. The stringbed is very consistent.

I'm used to using topspin to provide consistency on my shots but am more than willing to trade that in for power and direction. I'm in the midst of making these adjustments but I am quite pleased with this racquet.

As I said before, serves and volleys are unbelievable. This thing hits flat bombs like nothing. I much prefer the balance of the Prestige to that of the Pro Staff, which was my stick previously.

I have also had great luck with my serve with this frame. Able to hit flat bombs and mix in some vicious slice and kick serves. It is a stable frame yet I can generate good racquet head speed for spin, even with the dense pattern which I like for control (and less string breakage :) ). The maneuverability is very good for volleying especially in doubles play. I have found this racquet to be a near perfect blend of static weight (under 12 oz.), swingweight, flex, and balance. It has more pop than I expected and is more powerful, suprisingly, than many other frames out there in this category (including the old LM Prestige MP). I have experimented with different strings and tensions and have had the best luck with a good, thin multi (such as bi-phase 17 or 18 ) at about 59 lbs. I typically like my racquets strung in the 60lb+ range but for some reason I have it dialed in at 59 with this racquet. I did a loooooooooong demo earlier this year and ended up with the FXP Prestige MP and my results, arm, and enjoyment of the game are all very good.

nyc
11-15-2006, 02:38 PM
What didn't you like about lower tensions? How did it affect your strokes?

Whilst I got a bit more power in lower tensions, the loss in control was far more drastic, and ultimately not to my liking. I guess it comes down to personal preference, but I like the pinpoint control I get with it at higher tensions, and with a proper swing I can still hit a fast and heavy ball.

stormholloway
11-15-2006, 03:05 PM
I can see that. I'm wondering if the lower tensions I use give me added spin with this racquet, because I usually rely on the spin potential of lower tensions to make up for the control missing from such tensions.

String dwell is a bit tougher with this tight 18x20 pattern.

StunLock
11-16-2006, 05:08 PM

shouldnt there be an industry standard as to how the frame size is measured? it's like 300 hp is ... 300 hp . also I did a rough calculation and the area of the frame seems to be well over 3 sq in