PDA

View Full Version : best raquet for intermediate player

jellybean0879
08-11-2004, 06:58 PM
hi, i began playing tennis in may, and i am ready to get a "tweener" raquet. however, i am perplexed about what would be the best raquet to purchase. i have read some of the posts here, and they have mentioned the prince bandit or the head ti radical. i was wondering what other raquets in addition to these would be good tweener raquets. or if anyone has tried both of these and could comment on the advantages or disadvantages. many thanks :)

Vitamin J
08-11-2004, 07:54 PM
Give PD a try.

RedKat
08-13-2004, 02:55 AM
Pure Drive

netman
08-13-2004, 03:08 AM
There are so many choices the best thing to do is demo, demo, demo. Take 2 or 3 out and hit all your strokes with them to see how they compare. Keep notes. If you find one you like use it under pressure by playing a match with it. Take your time and you'll find one that feels right. Use the TW racquet fiinder and use 10-11 oz as your primary search criteria to get started.

Steve H.
08-13-2004, 05:12 AM
the Bandit is lighter, stiffer and more head-heavy than the Ti.Radical OS, and is therefore more powerful, more toward the "game improvement" end of the scale. Personally I like the Radical for a wide variety of players, but the Bandit has its fans as well.

I would agree with netman about getting something 10 to 11 ounces, but not about the value of demoing -- often you can buy a closeout frame for about the cost of a couple of demos, and you can't really tell if a racquet suits you until you have played with it for a while. Also, demo racquets often have the wrong grip size, dead strings, etc, and may not be what you get when you actually buy one. For an advanced player about to buy multiple $200 racquets demos could be worthwhile, but I think at a beginning or intermediate level it makes more sense to get some advice, close your eyes, and pick something that's a good value, you can always change later.