PDA

View Full Version : Flexpoint Technology

new2tennis
11-15-2006, 08:51 AM
I just bought a Flexpoint Prestige team off of **** as a backup racquent, or perhaps a primary racquet, but I havent had a chance to use it because it was new and unstrung. Based on users, can u notice a difference in control with the flexpoint technology compared to a normal tennis racquet?

stormholloway
11-15-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm still trying to figure that out for myself.

vsbabolat
11-15-2006, 10:28 AM
It is just there for decoration.

Tennis Man
11-15-2006, 10:34 AM

funny and almost true. The only difference I noticed is that when I serve the ball seems to stay longer on the stringbed and get a bit more power with FXP.

ThunderServe
11-15-2006, 12:01 PM
By laws of science it must work if theres and indent punched into the sides of the frame, therefore it must increase the bend there.

stormholloway
11-15-2006, 12:20 PM
True. The beam is thinner at the exact level of the sweetspot, so there must be some sort of effect.

I think if the flex area extended a bit more it might be more effective. Or perhaps too effective.

eunjam
11-15-2006, 02:42 PM
By laws of science it must work if theres and indent punched into the sides of the frame, therefore it must increase the bend there.

true.....but is it something that the human anatomy can detect?

the best digital video cameras can film at like 3000 frames per second, but if the human eye can only watch 30 frames per second......

or an atomic bomb can reach temperatures of 6500 degrees F, but you die at 160 F....etc. etc.

stormholloway
11-15-2006, 03:24 PM
I doubt they wanted to make any drastic changes to what is considered a classic frame. Still, I think having flexpoint and liquidmetal graphics on my racquet is a bit much.

I say add the technology but minimize all the painted on crap on the frame.

bcsax123
11-15-2006, 03:34 PM
I think the Flexpoint works. I can feel that the sweetpot is only in the central area where the flexpoint is.I almost always hit the center, so sweetspot size doesnt matter much.
But I can tell that my serves have much more pace with it.
It seems to work well when you just smack the ball as hard as you can and still control direction, but with other rackets when I try to smack the ball hard, it's harder to control direction.

mhstennis100
11-15-2006, 04:05 PM
The liquidmetal Radical did get better reviews overall then Fxp Radical did (the regular radicals not tour)

WhiteSox05CA
11-15-2006, 04:18 PM
it seems like this "Flexpoint" technology would only work when the ball in struck dead center on the racquet. Too much towards the throat and it will be useless, too high on the head, and it would probably make the shot worse. And if you hit the ball towards the 3 & 9 positions, but still centered, it wouldn't flex nearly as much, only very little.
________
Web shows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Casco
11-15-2006, 04:27 PM
I had a pair of fxp prestge mp and got rid of them. Though the flexpoint thing makes sense in a way, one can also reason that with the frame essentially weakened at those points, it can twist easier and bend more in unpredictable ways, and thus provide less control. Therefore, my guess is that if one hits fairly flat, there may be an enhanced sense of control, but if one hits with a fair amount of spin, there is less of a sense of control. But as with any discussion regarding technology and racquets, there is no absolute truth and it really is subjective. Some may feel they get enhanced control, others don't. I, personally, prefer the Wilson nSix-One 95 (18x20) hands down.

jcstennis
11-15-2006, 06:18 PM
when i demoed my FXP Radical MP... i didn't buy into the hype of the "hole", and a guy i hate playing against uses Head racquets (i despised him and his Head racquets)... at the time i still had my Wilson PS 6.1 classics. When demoing the FXP Rad i found better power in my serve, a decent sweet spot that make a distinct sound when you nail it, and flat groundstrokes are great... topspin is fair, my 1HBH just sails for some reason ( got that finally under control) ... anyway, does the technology work... who knows, it felt good so i bought it! Does it have better control than a "normal" racquet... well what is normal to you or me could be alot different. I played with some killer control sticks (PS 6.1s & StV PS mids) The FXP is now my wupp'n stick for singles play!

fujitsu77
11-15-2006, 06:19 PM
the fxp point tech doesn't work. the holes are there so that you can look at other things through them like binoculars. Other than that, they don't really serve much of a purpose.

fastdunn
11-15-2006, 06:39 PM

Not if they stiffened the punched area.... :)

From my experiences, I feel like FXP Prestige is rather stiff on the throat
flexible on the hoop. I do feel more feed back on whether I hit the sweet
spot or not.

Head just should release high speed video of the impact moments....

bcsax123
11-15-2006, 06:48 PM
the fxp point tech doesn't work. the holes are there so that you can look at other things through them like binoculars. Other than that, they don't really serve much of a purpose.

They reduce the flex by having less material...
Also, the holes on the prestige are not all they way through.

stormholloway
11-15-2006, 06:50 PM
when i demoed my FXP Radical MP... i didn't buy into the hype of the "hole", and a guy i hate playing against uses Head racquets (i despised him and his Head racquets)... at the time i still had my Wilson PS 6.1 classics. When demoing the FXP Rad i found better power in my serve, a decent sweet spot that make a distinct sound when you nail it, and flat groundstrokes are great... topspin is fair, my 1HBH just sails for some reason ( got that finally under control) ... anyway, does the technology work... who knows, it felt good so i bought it! Does it have better control than a "normal" racquet... well what is normal to you or me could be alot different. I played with some killer control sticks (PS 6.1s & StV PS mids) The FXP is now my wupp'n stick for singles play!

I switch from a Pro Staff to a Flex Prestige MP and have a one handed BH. What did you do to adjust this stroke? I find that I'm sailing my backhand as well. I just got the racquet a few days ago so I've got time to fix it. How did you fix your backhand?

vsbabolat
11-15-2006, 07:03 PM
Why don't you guys believe me when I say the flexpoint is just there for decoration. It is merely a marketing gimmick to get you to buy the latest version of the racquet.
Also all racquets flex in which HEAD claims the flexpoint is flexing. When the ball hits the strings of the racquet the strings pocket the ball causing the hoop of the racquet to cup the ball. No matter how tight you strings are or if you use polyester the racquet will cup the ball.
When flexpoint came out someone on here showed a high speed picture of a ball hitting a normal racquet and it cup the ball just like the flexpoint does. At best the flexpoint only accentuate the cupping.

bcsax123
11-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Why don't you guys believe me when I say the flexpoint is just there for decoration. It is merely a marketing gimmick to get you to buy the latest version of the racquet.
Also all racquets flex in which HEAD claims the flexpoint is flexing. When the ball hits the strings of the racquet the strings pocket the ball causing the hoop of the racquet to cup the ball. No matter how tight you strings are or if you use polyester the racquet will cup the ball.
When flexpoint came out someone on here showed a high speed picture of a ball hitting a normal racquet and it cup the ball just like the flexpoint does. At best the flexpoint only accentuate the cupping.

Not all racquets will cup the ball. Most racquets today are thicker at the place where the ball is hit. Evn if it's not, the racket would just bend back not cup it.
All rackets cup the ball because all string have flex in them, even kevlar.
Accentuating the cupping is good too, because most Head racquets are 18x20, and the stringbed doesnt flex much.
I'm not saying that it does work, I'm saying it could work, just not as visible as Prince's O3 Technology.
Yes it is for sure a marketing gimmick, working or not. Most technology is like this with exceptions such as PWS, TT, O3, IPS, crossbar etc.
I didn't get the racquet because it has all this technology, but because I demoed it and it felt right.

jcstennis
11-15-2006, 07:38 PM
I switch from a Pro Staff to a Flex Prestige MP and have a one handed BH. What did you do to adjust this stroke? I find that I'm sailing my backhand as well. I just got the racquet a few days ago so I've got time to fix it. How did you fix your backhand?

everybody kept telling me to "lead" up with some lead tape. I like the weight of the racquet so i did not want to... i have my FXP Rad MP strung with Tecnifibre NRG@ 17g @ mid + 2 lbs. After a few matches the strings settled in and feel good, now. To help with my back hand, i started swinging and playing with a much lighter racquet. The lighter stick forced me to swing differently, almost exaggerate my swing style. Then I found my back hand again... i was hitting them like mad... but the lighter racquet was not for me. I went back to the FXP Rad and tried the swing, it was back... it was my technique. I needed to work on my motion, low to high and concentrate on my follow through, the direction of the handle and the spot to where i wanted the ball to go (well duh...) but i was not doing this prior, prior i was trying to slice too much with the rad, i could not get a nice topspin going. Plus i found i needed more preparation for my backhand with the Rad. It's still a work in progress, but i feel more confident now.

i wish there is an easy answer... it was for me, mostly, preperation. I could stab, flick, push, whack anything with my ProStaffs... i thought i could do this with the Rad, but not yet... i was using the PS for over ten years, i have had the Rad for a little over 2 months! So it will take more time and better technique.:)

what is funny i was in my pro shop last week and picked up a FXp Prestige MP demo... oh it felt good. i may give this stick a try. What do you like most about it and what is your set-up?

stormholloway
11-15-2006, 07:49 PM
I've got the Prestige MP strung with Klip Legend 17 at 52 lbs. It's low I know, but that's how I like strings. For one, looser strings are better on the arm and I like the ball pocketing I get for spin.

Honestly, the racquet's tension still feels too high. And by hitting the racquet's strings against some other frames, I know it's strung tighter than other racquets which are strung at 57-59, so I'm expecting the strings to settle in and loosen up a bit. I'm into the ball pocket.

I love the weight and balance of this racquet. It's perfect. It's not too heavy, but it's head heavy enough to really bang at the ball. It's undoubtedly the biggest serving racket I've used including the Pure Drive. The only switch I would ever consider would be moving to the midsize after I get a little more consistent.

Stringer_Steve
11-15-2006, 07:55 PM
I find humor in everyone who says it doesn't work and that it's a "gimmick" or "marketing" ploy. Same could be said for Wilson's nCode technology or Prince's O3 technology. Personally, I feel that each company has its strong points and its weaknesses. I am the head stringer in a shop where I string and see all companies' products daily. Personally, I feel that everyone should demo a variety of different brands and models of racquets, and use your own experiences to decide on what works for you.
This forum is full of "experts" who have opinions (and are only too happy to give them), but you have to recognize personal biases and strong brand loyalties in most cases. Go with what works for you and your game. Just my .02

bcsax123
11-15-2006, 08:00 PM
what is funny i was in my pro shop last week and picked up a FXp Prestige MP demo... oh it felt good. i may give this stick a try. What do you like most about it and what is your set-up?

I like serving with it the most. It increased my serve speed at least 10mph. It's better for serving than a PDR in my opinion because it's almost as powerful in hitting flat serves, but it's great fro kicks and slices too.
Volleys were great too.
The only problem is that it doesnt slice very well, and is not as great as my POG OS at the baseline.
My set up is just switch to leather and wilson pro overgrip, gamma head tape to add some weight at the top and to protect it a bit, and strung with PSGD 16 @ 57lbs.

jcstennis
11-15-2006, 08:00 PM
I've got the Prestige MP strung with Klip Legend 17 at 52 lbs. It's low I know, but that's how I like strings. For one, looser strings are better on the arm and I like the ball pocketing I get for spin.

Honestly, the racquet's tension still feels too high. And by hitting the racquet's strings against some other frames, I know it's strung tighter than other racquets which are strung at 57-59, so I'm expecting the strings to settle in and loosen up a bit. I'm into the ball pocket.

I love the weight and balance of this racquet. It's perfect. It's not too heavy, but it's head heavy enough to really bang at the ball. It's undoubtedly the biggest serving racket I've used including the Pure Drive. The only switch I would ever consider would be moving to the midsize after I get a little more consistent.

Yeah i heard this thing is a serving monster! I could feel the difference from my racquet compared to the Prestige... the prestige is more head heavy, but not too heavy, and the balance feels good also! Maybe balance out the weight a little, add some to the handle or butt to help your back hand...? When used to hit w/ the PS Mid, when i was able to hit a solid back hand, it was sweet... but i had to go through a lot of "framers" to get there, my back hand has always felt better with a smaller head size.

jcstennis
11-15-2006, 08:06 PM
I like serving with it the most. It increased my serve speed at least 10mph. It's better for serving than a PDR in my opinion because it's almost as powerful in hitting flat serves, but it's great fro kicks and slices too.
Volleys were great too.
The only problem is that it doesnt slice very well, and is not as great as my POG OS at the baseline.
My set up is just switch to leather and wilson pro overgrip, gamma head tape to add some weight at the top and to protect it a bit, and strung with PSGD 16 @ 57lbs.

i got the same thing out of the FXP Rad.. i like the serve the most! My speed kicked up a few notches also, it was scary! :-o

Does the Prince Syn give you good power and feel? My Rad with a multi has given good feedback and response and some feel.

fujitsu77
11-15-2006, 08:14 PM
The flexpt. tech really doesn't do anything. I used to own a flexpt. rad. tour. I never saw the thing cup the ball once. I didn't even see or feel a minor cupping of the ball when using that frame. Infact, I felt more of a"cupping" effect in my POG OS than I did in my old flex pt.

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't think that the flex point tech does anything.

bcsax123
11-15-2006, 08:14 PM
i got the same thing out of the FXP Rad.. i like the serve the most! My speed kicked up a few notches also, it was scary! :-o

Does the Prince Syn give you good power and feel? My Rad with a multi has given good feedback and response and some feel.

PSGD is more durable and more powerful, but less feel than my normal string, Prince Synthetic Orginal. It was the only string I had at the time, but it's the best value price vs perfomance. Next time I'm going to buy some 17 guage so I can get a bit more spin.
It's a $3.79 string that plays like a $10 string.

new2tennis
11-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Well thanks for the input. Anyone who hasn't had a chance to comment is free too. I'm looking forward to serving with it. I had it strung at 57lbs with prince syngut since locally I don't have a large selection of stringing options so I'll post my opinion on this thread when I get to use it.

AJK1
11-15-2006, 09:56 PM
I honestly don't know if Flexpoint does anything, but all i know is that my Flexpoint Radical Tour is far and away the best stick i've ever owned, and i always hit the sweetspot with it. Power, control, and feel this has in bucketloads.

Steve Huff
11-15-2006, 10:07 PM
I don't know if they flex any differently, but the Flexpoint Radical seems a lot more aerodynamic, and swings through the air, better than the LM Radical. It may have nothing to do with the "Flexpoint" system, maybe just a more aerodynamic design.

plarazza
11-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Question? seing as I have never had a Head or really kno alot about them. What is the difference between the flexpoint technology and the liquid metal.

You can get both sorts with the Radicals and Prestiges so must be some sort.

wxr
11-16-2006, 09:24 AM
i dont believe this flexhole can promote a constant hitting.

when hitting in the sweetspot it should bend like this: > ,ok fine.

but what if you hit more in the topcenter of the sweetspot, it should bend like this: /

in my eyes the technologie thus makes the racket more unpredictable.

(in theory)

stormholloway
11-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Yeah i heard this thing is a serving monster! I could feel the difference from my racquet compared to the Prestige... the prestige is more head heavy, but not too heavy, and the balance feels good also! Maybe balance out the weight a little, add some to the handle or butt to help your back hand...? When used to hit w/ the PS Mid, when i was able to hit a solid back hand, it was sweet... but i had to go through a lot of "framers" to get there, my back hand has always felt better with a smaller head size.

I feel that the trouble I'm having on the backhand side is connected with the response the ball has on the strings rather than the weight. I really love the weight and balance of this frame. It's perfect. I don't think I'll add any lead.

I'm going to hit more and let these new strings settle a bit and loosen just a tad. I strung at 52 but honestly wouldn't mind something looser. I'm looking to get a good cupping effect from the strings. The strings feel tighter than 52 though.

I've got Babolat leather on this thing and it's lovely. I use Wilson Pro overgrips. There's general consensus here that this thing is a dream to serve with, and it's all true. I get the pop of a PD and great consistency with trajectory. I'll be with this frame for a while.

jcstennis
11-16-2006, 07:19 PM
I feel that the trouble I'm having on the backhand side is connected with the response the ball has on the strings rather than the weight. I really love the weight and balance of this frame. It's perfect. I don't think I'll add any lead.

I'm going to hit more and let these new strings settle a bit and loosen just a tad. I strung at 52 but honestly wouldn't mind something looser. I'm looking to get a good cupping effect from the strings. The strings feel tighter than 52 though.

I've got Babolat leather on this thing and it's lovely. I use Wilson Pro overgrips. There's general consensus here that this thing is a dream to serve with, and it's all true. I get the pop of a PD and great consistency with trajectory. I'll be with this frame for a while.

Yeah, exactly... once my strings settled in, i felt a little better about hitting... i could feel the ball better, plus for a couple of matches i was using a Red Eye dampener (yuck) then switched back to a rubber band, that felt better also - the Red Eye just was sucking the life out of everything!

I overgrip with Yonex SuperGrap, but over the Hydro Sorb that came with the racquet - at first it was not bad, but now i'm used to the stick and settling in, getting more feel - i may go leather also (i did with my Pro Staffs).

What is nice about the Babolat leather? Have you tried others, Head, Vantage, Wilson - Fairway?

stormholloway
11-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Babolat is probably my favorite of the ones I've tried. I own a lot of woodies but am not sure if they have fairway on them. Wilson is quite thin for leather and offers a good amount of feel but not much absorbing or padding.

Volkl is darker and not really that tacky. It seems similar to Vantage leather.

Babolat is very nice in every sense.

tennis_nerd22
11-16-2006, 07:45 PM

probably, but the fxp series does have a unique feel, which i guess many dont like, but i for one do like it :)

jarvis
11-16-2006, 07:58 PM
no matter how stiff a frame is, it will flex. take a look at a slow motion video of any player hitting and you will see the racquet bend. the indentation in the flexpoint frame will bend more, and from experience with a flexpoint prestige, you can definitely feel more flex than a liquidmetal. the holes were placed there for structural stability. if they had left the flexpoints w/o holes, it would break more easily at that point. the circles are the stress points to enhance rigidity...if they were squares, the frame would crack in the squares' corners

jcstennis
11-17-2006, 05:43 AM
Babolat is probably my favorite of the ones I've tried. I own a lot of woodies but am not sure if they have fairway on them. Wilson is quite thin for leather and offers a good amount of feel but not much absorbing or padding.

Volkl is darker and not really that tacky. It seems similar to Vantage leather.

Babolat is very nice in every sense.

Thanks... i'll check out the Babolat.

stormholloway
11-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Yeah, exactly... once my strings settled in, i felt a little better about hitting... i could feel the ball better, plus for a couple of matches i was using a Red Eye dampener (yuck) then switched back to a rubber band, that felt better also - the Red Eye just was sucking the life out of everything!

I overgrip with Yonex SuperGrap, but over the Hydro Sorb that came with the racquet - at first it was not bad, but now i'm used to the stick and settling in, getting more feel - i may go leather also (i did with my Pro Staffs).

What is nice about the Babolat leather? Have you tried others, Head, Vantage, Wilson - Fairway?

So the rubber band... you just break it and tie a bow at the bottom of the stringbed?

jcstennis
11-17-2006, 07:30 PM
So the rubber band... you just break it and tie a bow at the bottom of the stringbed?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1014757&postcount=12

i used to tie differently than this link, but after listening to Jon and giving this technique (which is easy) a try... i haven't looked back.... no need for breaking, just wrap- then wrap again and knot. i keep the flat end on my forehand side (i am superstitious or more like compulsive about which way i grip/or face my racquet) so if i hit low or miss hit, the flat part of the band (not the knot) doesn't really flub the ball too much! Plus a bag of 100 bands is $1.20 USD :)