PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop 200g Club

no skillz
11-15-2006, 08:11 AM
I dont see alot of people here using the 200g 95.

If you use it and love it, get in here.

If you used it and dont love it, get in here.

fuzz nation
11-15-2006, 10:15 AM
One of the first sticks I tried when I decided to stray from my Prostaff 6.1 Classics and it gave me trouble at first. Thought I needed a lighter frame, which it is, but it didn't work until I looked at the feedback on the TW site and found that they need loose strings to be lively. Yahoo! Easy to land groundstrokes and it served very well with pace and spin, but I play a lot of doubles and never volleyed confidently with it.

I've actually gone in the heavier direction and my latest sampling is the LM Prestige mid, but I didn't understand the value of a low powered flexible frame-at least in comparison to my racquets-before I tried on the HM 200g. I'm honestly surprised that this frame wasn't much more popular because it plays light and comfortable for a 12 oz. racquet.

louis netman
11-15-2006, 10:28 AM
still have a few MW 95" and 100".... nice, low-powered sticks with a great paint scheme...the 95 is too much work for me nowadays. I'm planning on chopping the 100s down to 27"...

kreative
11-15-2006, 10:38 AM
very nice frame w/ good feel. played w/ it until i got power-hungry and switched to the pure drive. find myself missing it sometimes thou.

mileslong
11-15-2006, 10:51 AM
im a long time MW200G user and also have a HM200G. i have been playing the redondos lately but hyperextended my elbow about a month ago. suring my recovery coming back i needed a lighter frame and have been hitting with my old HM and im actually playing pretty well with it. for the money you cant buy a better stick imo...

nickb
11-15-2006, 11:09 AM
I have played with the HM 200G and M-Fil 200 and they are great racquets. The only problem is the pattern was just too dense for me and i lost a serious amount of spin. The control is awsome though and for the money are one of the best racquets around. BTW i love the paintjobs on the m-fils and the MW.

__________________________________________________ _____

3 x nsix-one Tour (Tecnifibre Polyspin 16 @ 63lbs)
3 x PS 6.0 85 (Prince SGWD 17 @ 61lbs)

Bent
11-15-2006, 12:22 PM
I own 3 MW 95's and have played with them for years.

The last year I have mostly played with 3 POG mid's.

But sometimes I switch back to the MW's and they are still very nice.

jaykay
11-15-2006, 12:28 PM
Hey no_skillz, great post, and at an opportune time too. After soliciting inputs from several posters here, I went ahead and bought me an HM200G strung with KLIP Legend (there is a $6 credit on TW for buying a racquet from them and getting it strung with KLIP by them) and it plays like a dream.

The control is EXCEPTIONAL. Also, for those of you 3.5s-4.0s 'non-snobs' who have been thinking of moving to the much-cliched 'player's racquet' category but have been apprehensive of wielding a 12oz PS/POG/Prestige etc, look no further --- the 200G 95 swings real easy and is surprisingly maneuverable for such a stable stick.

- 'Plough-through' (dammit - the more time I spend on TW, the more I succumb to the usage of such cliched terms) is fantastic - I can rip winners on hard-hit shots from my opponent and they are left standing, dumbfoundedly watching my strokes in admiration.
- My serves have laser-like accuracy now and I can hit flat/slice/kick into any corner of the service box.
- My groundies also are hit with superb precision... totally love it.
- My BH slice is heavy and has depth.
- Volley putaways are hit with authority.

The only 2 downsides that I see on this frame are -
- mediocre spin (not that much of a downside since my game doesn't hinge on much topspin anyways), and
- my service returns are falling short (which requires me to bring about some change in technique)

Overall, I am extremely happy with this frame thus far. Most importantly, at $80, you SIMPLY CANNOT GO WRONG!

Put my name right on top in the Dunlop 200G Club. I am very much part of this 200G appreciation thread...

bertrevert
11-15-2006, 01:36 PM
Wow good to hear some love for this one...

Picked up a MW200g being retrung and was shocked and couldn't remember how heavy it was. What were the specs? 360g and 16x20 yeah?

Did you see Thomas Martinez advising of the release schedule for the forthcoming model here:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1066095&postcount=134

That 16x19 model would add spin potential, and you could add lead to bring it up. But there is no release date, darn.

jaykay
11-15-2006, 04:26 PM
I somehow prefer the 18x20 over the 16x19. The 18x20 just 'feels' better and provides better precision, IMO.

200G 95 rocks (for now!).

bm3
11-15-2006, 04:53 PM
I demoed it side by side with an M-Fil 300. The only reason I did not buy it was that I liked the M-Fil better. I liked the open pattern and it just felt more comfortable to swing. Nevertheless, the 200G is an extremely nice racquet.

anirut
11-15-2006, 05:06 PM
Well, well, though I love my Redondo, can I join the Dunlop 200G club?

The reason I had to go with the Redondo is because there's no 90 sq. head for the Dunlop 200 series. I just love that Dunlop feel and the "plough-through" the racket gives.

If only Dunlop could come up again with a 90 sq. head 200 series I'd switch in a heart beat.

jaykay
11-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Well, well, though I love my Redondo, can I join the Dunlop 200G club?

The reason I had to go with the Redondo is because there's no 90 sq. head for the Dunlop 200 series. I just love that Dunlop feel and the "plough-through" the racket gives.

If only Dunlop could come up again with a 90 sq. head 200 series I'd switch in a heart beat.

Anirut - An endorsement for the 200G from a knowledgeable person such as yourself automatically elevates you to the Chairman Emeritus status of the 200G Club. Welcome to the gang! :)

Cheers.

anirut
11-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Anirut - An endorsement for the 200G from a knowledgeable person such as yourself automatically elevates you to the Chairman Emeritus status of the 200G Club. Welcome to the gang! :)

Cheers.

Knowledgeable? Me? Nah ... I'm not that knowledgeable to be elevated to the status. No way. And I have only played the Revelation Tour 90, but just love it!

BTW, just learnt about the Aerogel 100 ... 90 sq. head. WOW!

OK, now that this thread is about 200G club. Let's start posting pictures of 200G series that we have.

Here's mine ... though not exactly the 200, but ... so what!

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f310/anirut/Rackets/RevelationTour90.jpg

jaykay
11-17-2006, 08:18 AM
Nice pics, Anirut. I must confess that I still haven't figured out how to post pics in this forum (I know it has been posted someplace, just too lazy to search...).

anirut
11-17-2006, 05:25 PM
Nice pics, Anirut. I must confess that I still haven't figured out how to post pics in this forum (I know it has been posted someplace, just too lazy to search...).

Just subscribe with photobucket . com for free. Upload your pics and copy the .... path (shown below the uploaded pic) and paste it in your post in tt.

It's simple as that.

BTW, try to keep the pics small before uploading, at least to pity the slower-connection users. I find that 640x480 is the appropriate max. I normally keep the size around 400x300.

joe
11-17-2006, 07:05 PM
My first "real" raquet was the Max200G back in '85. Then the POG mid for about 15 yrs and then the HM200G about 2 years back. Can't beat the control of that 18x20 stick. Arm problems forced me off it and now holding a demo PK Redondo mid and so far I'm happy. Hate to leave the 200Gs but might have to.

tennisphotog
11-20-2006, 05:42 AM
I've have had a totally short attention span for racquets for the past few years, searching for one that feels perfect in all aspects As we all know that "holy grail" does not really exist, but the hot-melt 200g is really, really close IMO. I have been very happy with this stick.

splitstep
11-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Hate to leave the 200Gs but might have to.

You wouldn't be the first to leave a Dunlop 200G for a Redondo. There's quite a community of ex-200G users who've gone over.

After 5 months of play, the only downside for me on the Redondo mid-plus has been the reflex volleys. After I leaded up the racket to get the balance I like, I haven't been getting the racket head around quite as quickly. I suppose I can't expect to get get the 6yrs of tuning I had with my MW95s in 5 months, but it is one of the very few downsides. Redondo pluses abound and have been detailed in many other entries here.

Pushmaster
11-20-2006, 12:36 PM
My first "real" raquet was the Max200G back in '85. Then the POG mid for about 15 yrs and then the HM200G about 2 years back. Can't beat the control of that 18x20 stick. Arm problems forced me off it and now holding a demo PK Redondo mid and so far I'm happy. Hate to leave the 200Gs but might have to.
Joe, can you compare the HM 200G to the PK Red mid?

The Dampener
11-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Hi Club 200G,

I've got a 200G HM I pull out from time to time because I simply love the way it feels when I swing it. However, due to arm problems, I've been spending my on-court time with a much more powerful ProKennex 5G. And I've gotten used to that extra power now.

So I'm toying with the idea of dropping my string tension to nudge to power up a bit on the 200G. Have any of you had success doing that? Or am I asking for a world of trouble by trying to make a low-powered racquet more powerful?

Thanks.
T-Damp

Nextman916
11-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Hi Club 200G,

I've got a 200G HM I pull out from time to time because I simply love the way it feels when I swing it. However, due to arm problems, I've been spending my on-court time with a much more powerful ProKennex 5G. And I've gotten used to that extra power now.

So I'm toying with the idea of dropping my string tension to nudge to power up a bit on the 200G. Have any of you had success doing that? Or am I asking for a world of trouble by trying to make a low-powered racquet more powerful?

Thanks.
T-Damp

Not at all, lots of people do this to try to tweak the power of their racquet by dropping/raising string tension. But just dont expect any miracles, a low-powered racquet will still be a low-powered racquet.

basil J
11-21-2006, 04:51 PM
I was a devoted user of the 200GMW for years. When I first started playing tennis back in the late 90's my first racquet was a 200G revelation. I used that for a year and then moved to the 200GMW which I stayed devoted to for about 5 years. My bag got stolen and the only frames I could find were the 200GHM. Not the same stick so I moved on to a bunch of different frames over a 2 year period (Slaz x-1, Ncode 6.1, prince 03tourMP) until I discovered the Redondo MP. The 200GMW was a classic. Till this day, probably the best feeling racquet in hand. The weight just feels right. Great serving stick, and I never had a problem generating spin as long as I had 17 gauge strings on it. The paint job is also my all time favorite on a racquet. I recently had the opportunity to hit with one and the Redondo has a much bigger sweetspot. I truly believe that because the 200G was such a demanding stick, my game improved very quickly from a novice to a solid intermediate because you really need good foot work and mechanics to use it properly.

snoopy
11-21-2006, 05:14 PM
Does anyone know how the 200g plays verses a Volkl T10 Gen2? The specs for these 2 are similar.

joe
11-22-2006, 10:49 PM
Joe, can you compare the HM 200G to the PK Red mid?
Pushmaster, for starters, I like a frame that can best be described in one word as “crisp”. The HM200G had it. The Pro Kennex Redondo mid has more. Actual weights/balance points measured by me for the two frames are: static strung weight, 200g: 349grams/12.3 ounces (livewire 17 & one Wilson pro overgrip), Pk red: 352 grams/12.4 ounces (NXT 16 & two Wilson pro overgrips). Balance of HM200g is more head heavy than pk red (true to advertised specs).
200g not unwieldy but you’ll notice a mild head heaviness on the swing compared to the pk red.
Generally, I note three significant differences: 1) the 3 extra grams on the pk red wouldn’t seem like much but you can tell there’s more out there at the end of your arm when swinging. In a good way though. It’s headlight character lends to the feeling of complete control over the whole frame when swinging out on groundies and at the net.
2) On impact the pk red has a comforting, stable, heftiness to it and dwell time seems longer than with the 200g. I was hitting deeper and with more confidence with the pk red and was getting more spin too (hence the controlled depth?) . They’re both considered low power frames but I always had to work harder with the 200G to get depth and yet had to be careful not to hit long maybe because of spin issues. I always had to exagerate the low to high motion to get spin on short, put-away shots with the 200G. I found no difference in lateral control between the two racquets. Both are awesome. 3)lastly, and most importantly for me because of recent arm problems, when striking the ball high in the stringbed (on those very few occasions, right?) the pk red is very forgiving but the 200g lets you know you’ve missed! Simply, the pk red has more sweet spot than the 200G.
The first hit with the Redondo reminded me of the first hit with my old POG mid 18 years ago. I’ve demoed many frames in the last 3-4 years and this is the first racquet that had that particular sweetness. When I first demoed the HM200G 2-½ years ago I liked it, but I came around to it slowly. It didn’t have that particular magic on the very first strike of the ball like the Redondo did. There were times it was a struggle to convince myself the 200G was a good fit for me and life's too short to play like that. The HM200G is a fine racquet but if you’re considering an 18x20 frame then the Redondo is definitely worth a look too.
Hope this report, however biased it is, helps,
Joe

The Dampener
11-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Any of you 200G HM users slap a little lead on your frame? If so, where, and how much?

I'm thinking about tinkering with mine. I'd like to see how it plays with more of a head-light balance, say, 8-10 points versus the stock 5 points.

But I'm curious to learn about the modifications some of you have had success with.

Thanks.

John

jaykay
11-27-2006, 09:09 PM
Wow - this thread is still alive...?!? Cool...

I must say this - I haven't played with the MW200G before. In some ways, it is a good thing, since my eval of the HM200G doesn't get clouded by prior judgement. Still love the HM200G...

Pushmaster
11-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Pushmaster, for starters, I like a frame that can best be described in one word as “crisp”. The HM200G had it. The Pro Kennex Redondo mid has more. Actual weights/balance points measured by me for the two frames are: static strung weight, 200g: 349grams/12.3 ounces (livewire 17 & one Wilson pro overgrip), Pk red: 352 grams/12.4 ounces (NXT 16 & two Wilson pro overgrips). Balance of HM200g is more head heavy than pk red (true to advertised specs).
200g not unwieldy but you’ll notice a mild head heaviness on the swing compared to the pk red.
Generally, I note three significant differences: 1) the 3 extra grams on the pk red wouldn’t seem like much but you can tell there’s more out there at the end of your arm when swinging. In a good way though. It’s headlight character lends to the feeling of complete control over the whole frame when swinging out on groundies and at the net.
2) On impact the pk red has a comforting, stable, heftiness to it and dwell time seems longer than with the 200g. I was hitting deeper and with more confidence with the pk red and was getting more spin too (hence the controlled depth?) . They’re both considered low power frames but I always had to work harder with the 200G to get depth and yet had to be careful not to hit long maybe because of spin issues. I always had to exagerate the low to high motion to get spin on short, put-away shots with the 200G. I found no difference in lateral control between the two racquets. Both are awesome. 3)lastly, and most importantly for me because of recent arm problems, when striking the ball high in the stringbed (on those very few occasions, right?) the pk red is very forgiving but the 200g lets you know you’ve missed! Simply, the pk red has more sweet spot than the 200G.
The first hit with the Redondo reminded me of the first hit with my old POG mid 18 years ago. I’ve demoed many frames in the last 3-4 years and this is the first racquet that had that particular sweetness. When I first demoed the HM200G 2-½ years ago I liked it, but I came around to it slowly. It didn’t have that particular magic on the very first strike of the ball like the Redondo did. There were times it was a struggle to convince myself the 200G was a good fit for me and life's too short to play like that. The HM200G is a fine racquet but if you’re considering an 18x20 frame then the Redondo is definitely worth a look too.
Hope this report, however biased it is, helps,
Joe

Thanks Joe for the great comparison. The Red mid sounds like my kind of stick. I'm going to buy one soon as TW gets them back in stock.

Pushmaster
11-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Wow - this thread is still alive...?!? Cool...

I must say this - I haven't played with the MW200G before. In some ways, it is a good thing, since my eval of the HM200G doesn't get clouded by prior judgement. Still love the HM200G...

Like you say, it's a good thing not having played the MW 200G, your better off not knowing what your missing. If your happy with the HM, that's all that counts.

Dunlopkid
11-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Can I be part of this club even though I play the m-fil?

drakulie
11-28-2006, 01:42 PM

yeah me too. Although I don't play with a 200, I periodically play against the guy who started this thread.

By the way, his game has vastly improved since switching to the 200.

anirut
11-28-2006, 04:44 PM

At least you play the m-Fil ... it says 200 on it right?

I only have the Rev Tour 90. See pic on first page. At least it's the "same class" of the 200 range.

artworks
12-02-2006, 03:07 AM
I recently got 2x 200G Muscle Weave 95 to go along with my 200GHM. :-D

no skillz
12-02-2006, 02:17 PM
I am glad that there are so many people who play with this great great racquet. To tell the truth I didnt expect a turn out as big as this.

I have since bought my second 200g and I am in love. I have strung both racquets with Goosen Proform Tuff at 57lbs and added some lead to make the racquet 12.5oz.

The tension reduction has made the racquet more lively, more power, and spin. More of everything that is good.

I hope to see the club keep growing, and lets spread the love for this wonderful racquet. :)

pham4313
12-02-2006, 02:47 PM
own three M-fill 200s....just loving it...the racket is so solid at net...also loving the flat groundstrokes and pinpoint serves:p

pham4313
12-02-2006, 02:49 PM
anyone gives a comparative review of 200 G, HM, M-fil, revelation 95 ? I thought i saw it in some other thread before but hate to dig it out. Any expectations for the aerogel 200?

Richie Rich
12-02-2006, 03:05 PM
i can get new mfil 200 cheap so i may pick one up. i demoed one earlier this summer and it was ok but string choice and tension may have had something to do with it.

no skillz
12-02-2006, 03:11 PM
anyone gives a comparative review of 200 G, HM, M-fil, revelation 95 ? I thought i saw it in some other thread before but hate to dig it out. Any expectations for the aerogel 200?

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/NOBAD1.html
There you go,pal. Thanks to NBMJ for the review!!1

pham4313
12-02-2006, 05:25 PM
i can get new mfil 200 cheap so i may pick one up. i demoed one earlier this summer and it was ok but string choice and tension may have had something to do with it.

Hey Rich, did you have James Blake's dunlop at some point? If you get the M-fil 200, could you compare the two? I think either the 200G or 200M-fil has similar traits to Blake's stick...after all, it is all dunlop family

Richie Rich
12-03-2006, 03:31 AM
Hey Rich, did you have James Blake's dunlop at some point? If you get the M-fil 200, could you compare the two? I think either the 200G or 200M-fil has similar traits to Blake's stick...after all, it is all dunlop family

still have JB stick. its exactly the same, mold wise, as the tf 335. if i get a mfil 200 i'll compare them too.

The Dampener
12-03-2006, 03:40 AM
No Skillz, how much/where did you lead up your 200?

Thanks.

J

Breaker
12-03-2006, 09:39 AM
I switched over from the dreaded PD to the 200g about two years ago, great racquet with great control. Nice thread no skillz love how many people have stuck with this racquet!

no skillz
12-03-2006, 12:10 PM
No Skillz, how much/where did you lead up your 200?

Thanks.

J

I added 8, 4 inch long, strips to the 3 and 9 position. I guess each strip is .5 of a gram. So I added 4 grams to the racquet head. The balance of the racquet is probably 1-3 points head light.

I had to add alittle more to the second racquet to match the weight and balance point.

The combination of added lead and reduced tension and my most favorite strings resulted in a heavy flat spin. More pop, more spin, and more pace were added to my game. I was able to swing the racquet as hard as I wanted to and still make the ball in the court.

The Dampener
12-07-2006, 03:26 PM
I keep dropping my string tension in search of a little more feel and a little more spin.

I was just wondering what string tension you 200Gers out there are using. If you don't mind, throw a number my way.

Thanks.

Dampest

no skillz
12-07-2006, 07:25 PM
I am at 57lbs. Alot more spin and power.
I think the strings I use help alot with the spin.

pham4313
12-07-2006, 07:30 PM
I strung my Mfil at 56 lbs and its just about right. But lately in the cold i hit short most of the time. So i strung another one at 50-52 hybrid and this one is a beast. Plenty of power and increase in spin. It just pockets the ball better

VGP
12-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Been with the Dunlop HM 200g for over a year....

I've modded mine thus:

Replaced the Hydromax Tour grip with leather.
0.5 ounces of lead fishing weights under the butt cap.
0.45 ounces of lead tape strips from 2-3, 10-9 o'clock.
Single black overgrip.
Sampras "O" dampener.

Strings either Prince Original Synthetic Gut, 16 gauge or a BDE Perf 16 natural gut/POSG 16 hybrid. Strung at 60 lbs.

Weight and balance: 13.6 oz., 8 pts headlight.

SmakIt
12-07-2006, 11:20 PM
I have been using the mfil 200 for a while which is certainly a great racquet, but I always wondered what it would be like with a smaller head and if it was a bit easier to swing. I recently found a HM100G and the mfil was almost instantly dropped. At first I thought the the feeling of the HM was no good, but I realised after a while that it gave more precise feedback. With the mfil it is sometimes difficult to tell exactly where you are hitting the ball and therefore it is difficult to adjust. The HM is way more honest. A little bit of lead at 9 & 3 and I cannot believe how good the HM is. I just wish I could find more of this 90" series. Makes the mfil feel too powerful (which i realise it is). I believe that if dunlop left off the heavy gloss PJ on the mfil and it lost 10grams in the head, it would be spot on. You can see the HM does not have that kind of puppy fat.

Although I now am starting to feel that having the high swingweight mfil is a real benefit in training. Switching to a lower swingweight after bashing around with the mfil so long makes it so so easy to bash the hell out of ball with the HM with minimal mistakes.

badmice2
12-10-2006, 07:14 PM
I have 2x 200G HM and 2x 200G MW...at one point I had a 200 MFIL, but didnt like it...felt a bit stiff compared to the other 2. Ideally, here's my setup for all of my sticks...

When strung with -
Technifibre X1 Biphase (full set) - 63 lbs
Klip Excellerator (full set) - 63 lbs
X1 / PSGD Hybrid - 61-62 lbs-
BB ALU Rough / X1 - 60-61 lbs (at times i find ALU Rough plays softer than BB ALU Power)

Added -
Lead tape under butt cap (5 grams)
Wilson Leather grip

DrewRafter8
12-11-2006, 09:45 AM
I have 3 MW 200G's that I have recently switched from. I was a longtime MW user but have found myself a Fischer Fan. I probably would have never switched, but my MW's are too valuable to me to play with everyday. I've tried all of the recent 200 updates and quite frankly hated them. I've found my Fischer MSpeed to have a "buttery" (can I even use that word here?) feel like my MW's have. But then again, feel is subjective.

max
12-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Spent many years with the Fabulous Max 200 G. . . now use a Volkl Cat 8 Vengine.

BDAZ
12-11-2006, 06:29 PM
i have the last four incarnations of the 200G -- revelation 200G, muscle weave, hot melt and m-fil. i've only really had extensive experience with the rev. and the hm, as the other two are fairly new acquisitions to the collection. in my opinion, gut is the only (and best) way to go with these sticks. softens the string bed up and adds that needed pop. i had a hm with bde 17 and a fairway leather grip, but somebody ganked it. got a replacement for my birthday, but still need to get some leather on the handle (babolat is my leather of choice). also need to string up the other three with gut, and put leather on the mw. the rev is beefy, 13 oz.+, and i'm sure the mw will be, too. man, stringing with gut was so much easier when bow brand was only $18. can't imagine using a poly in one of these. it would feel like hitting with a plank of wood. ow, my elbow hurts just thinking about it. looking into adding a max 200G to the mix, and perhaps a new aerogel.

bertrevert
12-11-2006, 06:59 PM
but somebody ganked it.

Whatever that means it sounds like revenge should at least be contemplated if not plotted ruthlessly... :)

BDAZ
12-11-2006, 08:11 PM
somebody stole it, and trust me, if i knew who it was...

dewey2110
12-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Its so hard to find a Revelation 200g now :(

python
12-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Yeah, it is. I find the Revelation 200G to be so ugly, though.

tmoeller
12-15-2006, 11:11 AM
I'm in...I have three, 57 pound 17 guage max comfort string, yonnex supergrap overgrips....love em.

Tour 90
12-15-2006, 03:15 PM
My dad has a mfil 200...

elbuzzard_lives
12-16-2006, 06:54 PM
I have 3 MW's. Played my best tennis with them. i agree with a previous poster who said that it improved his game by forcing him to hit with better footwork and preperation. I have recenly gotten a Nsix-one team that i thought was going to give me increased pop and indeed it did but at the expense of feel and control that i was enjoying with the MW's. I may be just about ready to pull the plug on the Wilson sticks and go back to the MW's. I am just concerned that i will not be able to find any extra frames for the future. I guess i should start hoarding E*b*a*y and the "for sale" threads.

xvu1983
04-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Has anyone tried natural gut in the mains and poly in the cross with a HM200g?

I will string it this weekend. I ll report how it feels for those interested. I really like the HM200g with prince original syn gut w/ duraflex 17g @ 60lbs. It played well for a month. I played like 5 hrs a week. I was hoping to get more feel and ball pocketing with the natural gut and poly hybrid.

I'm going to hybrid it with Gamma Natural Gut Tour 15L mains and Cyberflash 17g both @ 60lbs.

bluetrain4
04-09-2007, 08:28 PM
I've used a HM 200g for about a year. Great racquet. Really suits my game. But, now its discontinued.

squints
04-09-2007, 09:33 PM
oooo the thread has been revived!

I recently stumbled upon the MW 200g, let me say what a great racquet this is! It has that nice soft buttery feel not found in few, if any, of the racquets made today.

ilian
05-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Here is my favorite 200G and my favorite tennis racquet bar none:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/996000-996999/996619_363_full.jpg

vkartikv
05-07-2007, 06:43 PM
I've been using the mw 200g for over 2.5 months now. Also have some rev 200gs and hm 200gs. The HM is actually a really nice frame, much stiffer than the rest of the lot and would be a good choice for someone looking to replace their ps 85. The mfil is too metallic and feels like a hammer after 2 sets. The aerogel is nice but still doesn't compare to the mw

phucng_10
05-07-2007, 07:09 PM
I have a 200g, just haven't strung it yet.

squints
05-07-2007, 08:18 PM
mw200g all the way! The aerogel is a nice racquet in its own right. but like kartik said, it isn't a muscle weave. I hated the m-fil, felt tinny. The HM was also a decent racquet it just wasn't my cup of tea. I have not tried the max rev 200g's

emcee143
05-08-2007, 01:10 AM
I too love the AG and MW 200s. I'm debating on which to use as my main. I may stick with the AG. The AG has a little more pop, which I need right now playing opens and 5.5's. The MW is a dream at the baseline, but I need that extra umph on my serve which is a BIG part of my game. But either way.. being reunited with my old MW that I used 5 years ago as a freshmen is just a nice feeling.

Aerogel setup - Wilson Nat. Gut Mains 54/ Lux alu rough crosss 51
MW setup - Vs touch mains 54/ Hurricane tour cross 51.

basil J
05-08-2007, 04:07 AM
I came across a new mfil 200 this week. I put on 3'strips of lead tape at 3:00 & 9:00, strung it with klip excellerator 17' @ 58# and surprise!!, this frame plkayed very nicely. The lead tape got rid of the tinny feel immediately. It isn't a MW, but it played pretty nicely in it's own right. Still doesn't touch my PK Redondo. Redondo is more forgiving and spin friendly for sure, but I could easily step right into a match with an mfil. The mfil is definitely string sensitive. I demoed one last year and thought it was horrible. Turns out the strings made a huge difference. I wish Dunlop would bring back the 200GMW, much like head brought back the Prestige 600. I would buy a couple just for nostalgia alone.

ilian
05-08-2007, 08:33 AM
I came across a new mfil 200 this week. I put on 3'strips of lead tape at 3:00 & 9:00, strung it with klip excellerator 17' @ 58# and surprise!!, this frame plkayed very nicely. The lead tape got rid of the tinny feel immediately. It isn't a MW, but it played pretty nicely in it's own right. Still doesn't touch my PK Redondo. Redondo is more forgiving and spin friendly for sure, but I could easily step right into a match with an mfil. The mfil is definitely string sensitive. I demoed one last year and thought it was horrible. Turns out the strings made a huge difference. I wish Dunlop would bring back the 200GMW, much like head brought back the Prestige 600. I would buy a couple just for nostalgia alone.

Talking about nostalgia and PC 600, the racquet Dunlop should bring back is the MAX 200G. It was way more successful than any other graphite Dunlop ever made and rightfully became a legend. According to me and many others, it is the best frame ever made. Too bad it's almost impossible for Dunlop to bring it back or make one that plays close enough to it...

hrstrat57
05-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Played my best tennis ever with the max 200g, still a remarkable frame. Unfortunately an environmental nightmare to manufacture so nothing like it will ever be made again. I have heard Dunlop was loosing money on it the last 3 yrs it was made....too expensive to manufacture.

Get em while you still can, I have 3 and not for sale at any price....1 of mine is barely hit....it is the vintage of the one on the left of ilian's photo. The flaky markings are pretty much gone from the other 2...nice thing about the injection molding is the sticks never wear out. They get pretty ugly tho......:-D I broke one once, it was a nasty mess.....:(

Might throw em back in the bag soon for my weekly sunday morning grudge match with long time hitting opponent. Soon as a save up some cash to string a couple of em up with gut, can't put syn in a 200g. The tennis gods would frown.

Could be interesting......

I respectfully submit my application for membership in this max 200g club...

Gugafan_Redux
05-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Former Hot Melt user here, now an mfil user. Wish I still had my HM's now that my technique and fitness are better. But oh well. I rememebr it having a softer, kind of muted feel than the mfil.

I also recently moved from Prince synth gut 16g to 17g, and what a world of difference, especially on my serve. But then again, I also finally figured out how to serve with the correct grip, so the specs of my gear are not exactly my first concern, though I do want to try stringing up at a lower tension too. Used to string around 62, been at 58 for the last year.

Oh, and some lead at 3 & 9 sounds good too.

elbuzzard_lives
05-21-2007, 11:00 AM
We still rule!

Remixed
07-12-2007, 06:46 AM
currently using a MW 200g & loving it! great racquet, amazing feel, but it is really beaten up...if all goes well, i will be getting a revelation 200g to add to the collection!

bertrevert
07-12-2007, 11:36 AM
The 200g is a beast at 360 grams - but the ball stays hit!

I always thought it was so solid that it emphasised what strings you have in there. A matter of contrasts. The only ones I see around now are "pre-loved" or should that be worn out. I'd certainly get one for nostalgia heh heh

cukoo
07-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Hello 200g Club,
I've been using a mfil 200 18x20 but it recently broke, after some search, I found an interest in the muscle weave, can anyone tell me how it plays compared to the mfil 200?

Thanks

rev200g
07-25-2008, 05:11 PM
I think I will keep this thread alive a bit longer since the 200g's are becoming somewhat classics.

My first 200g was a Revelation after an extensive and intensive research and demo'ing of its contemporaries at the time (~1997).

I am using 3 Revelation 200gs and 1 Muscleweave 200g currently. I switch between them depending on my game on a particular day. The 3 revelations are strung a little bit differently with Cyberflash. All of the 200gs have a bit of weight added around the hoop and in the butt too. Still a very good control orientated racquet with excellent stability and feel.

The Rev200g is stiffer with slightly better stability, power and plowthrough. The MW200g is more comfortable and has better feel (ie. smooth). Love them both!!

Speedygonzalez
07-27-2008, 01:30 PM
OOOOO......reading all these posts makes me wanting to play with the MW and the REV again! Damn....there are so many good sticks!

Currently using the AG with hybrid setup. This racquet handles everything very well....Flat serves, kick serves, groundies flat/spin/slice and great to volley with. The only thing I would to have more is flex. I hit the other day with the PC600 and I really liked the feel of a midsize and the greater flexibility...

I just acquired a my third mw for cheap, can't wait to hit with it again :)!