PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Pure Drive+ suggestions

rscottdds
11-15-2006, 09:39 AM
My 16 yr old son wants to demo a few racquets. He currently uses a Pure Drive + but wants to try something with a bit more control. He can play great with the pure drive but feels like he has to hold back a bit even with it strung tight or he'll hit long. He wants something he can take a full swings with.

He uses a SW forehand and 2H backhand, moderate spin (might be why he can't swing away with the PD+)

He's on the high school varsity team so he plays at a fairly high level. Any thoughts?

-Robert

Gut Reaction
11-15-2006, 09:51 AM
My 16 yr old son wants to demo a few racquets. He currently uses a Pure Drive + but wants to try something with a bit more control. He can play great with the pure drive but feels like he has to hold back a bit even with it strung tight or he'll hit long. He wants something he can take a full swings with.

He uses a SW forehand and 2H backhand, moderate spin (might be why he can't swing away with the PD+)

He's on the high school varsity team so he plays at a fairly high level. Any thoughts?

-Robert

Thats easy...If he hits great with it all you need to do is get a less powerful pure drive....which is the standard length pure drive or the standard length pure drive Roddick. problem solved :)

nn
11-15-2006, 11:54 AM
RDS 001 MID if you are 4.0+

nn
11-15-2006, 11:55 AM
One more thing I am coming from PD+ to RDS 001 MID

fujitsu77
11-15-2006, 02:42 PM
If he hits well with the PD, but wants something with more control, he should try out the APD. Way more control, and wicked spin potential:).

LarougeNY
11-15-2006, 02:45 PM
If he can handle the weight of heavier rackets i would reccommend the n61 95. I used to play with the PD+ also, also with the SW forehand and 2 handed backhand, and i just switched and im loving the control and stability with the wilson i didnt have with the PD+

s_andrean
11-15-2006, 02:46 PM
Aeropro control. Really nice racquet, really solid.

rscottdds
11-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks. Looks like we'll try the APD, APC, n61 and the Yonex. What's the difference between the two Areopro's?
-Robert

fuzz nation
11-15-2006, 10:04 PM
I had a young lady slugger on the HS team I coached finally dump her PD due to the steroids in it and she had me stringing it with hybrid jobs to try to tone it down.

Prince tour diablo mid and Fischer M Speed Pro #1 in either size come to mind and if the dude is a baseliner, the Head Radical Flexpoint Tour is a mad stroke machine, but may give away a little authority on volleys and serves.

Steve Huff
11-15-2006, 10:05 PM
I'm with GutReaction. He should start looking at standard length rackets, and if he likes the PD+, he should look at the standard length Pure Drive. Other similar rackets are the Pro Kennex Laver Type S (and SX for the longer one), Wilson nCode Open (which I didn't care for when I hit with it). I did like the n six-one 95 with the 16 x 18 string pattern. I just tried a Fischer MSpeed 105. They make a 98 sq in one also, and it was nice and solid, a little more flexible for better control and a little less power.

Hewittfan22
11-15-2006, 10:12 PM
I defintely suggest aeropro drive or pure drive roddick in standard lenths, i know its only a half inch differnce but believe me it makes a huge diffrence, standard length of any of these two racquets would give you a lot more control and manuverbillity. Another advantage your son would have using standard length racquets is that he will have faster racquet head speed because swing weight on standard length frames are genrally lower than the plus versions. Unless you don't have great timing and strong arm like roddick, its much safer to go with standard length racquets.

rscottdds
11-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Does 1/2 an inch make that much difference in power/control?
-Robert

Rafa's best friend
11-15-2006, 10:21 PM
YONEX RDS 001 Midplus racket, best racket made by humans with alien technoledge, it was reverse engineered.............

Gut Reaction
11-15-2006, 10:25 PM
If he hits well with the PD, but wants something with more control, he should try out the APD. Way more control, and wicked spin potential:).

I dont agree .I play with the APD plus. I have tested both quite extensively. Both racuets have the exact same dimensions but the difference is that The APD is way more flexible! This gives the APD more spin but much less control. Trust me on this....if your kid just goes for the regular length PD his problems will be greatly solved.

Hewittfan22
11-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Yes it does, especially when it comes to groundstrokes, if you don't adjust very well you are always going to end up hitting the ball late with longer racquets. I don't know so much about power that it would make a differnce but defintely control, huge diffrence in control.

power_play21
11-15-2006, 10:28 PM
i wasnt gonna jump in, but for you people suggesting the pure drive roddick std, it basically has the same power as the pure drive plus.

DANMAN
11-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Sounds like a Pure Storm to me.

Gut Reaction
11-16-2006, 05:56 AM
i wasnt gonna jump in, but for you people suggesting the pure drive roddick std, it basically has the same power as the pure drive plus.

wrong. BIG difference in power accroding to the USRSA power rating.

Longer racquets are more powerful because of the longer swing.

The power rating for the PD is 2290 while for the plus its 2445. In fact if you look at any extended racquet you will see that its always more powerful than the standard length. Therefore following that line of logic the kid should play with the PD. He already plays "GREAT" with the PD plus his only problem was the power. Solution is therefore the regualr PD. Check out the power ratings for yourself:

http://www.usrsa.com/cgi/changeracquet.cgi for the PD

http://www.usrsa.com/cgi/changeracquet.cgi for the PD plus

bluegrasser
11-16-2006, 07:37 AM

-Robert

Probably the three most popular racquets for control and many HSlr's use these are: O3 Tour Prince, Wilson 6.1 Ncode mp, Head Prestige mp.

rscottdds
11-16-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the replies. We have a n61 and a APC+ on the way for a demo (they didn't have the standard APC in stock or the Yonex) Psychologically I'm not sure going with the PD standard would work but I think we'll demo it anyway to see if he can tell the difference (maybe I'll just cut 1/2 inch off all his PD+'s :-)
-Robert

power_play21
11-16-2006, 08:31 PM
wrong. BIG difference in power accroding to the USRSA power rating.

Longer racquets are more powerful because of the longer swing.

The power rating for the PD is 2290 while for the plus its 2445. In fact if you look at any extended racquet you will see that its always more powerful than the standard length. Therefore following that line of logic the kid should play with the PD. He already plays "GREAT" with the PD plus his only problem was the power. Solution is therefore the regualr PD. Check out the power ratings for yourself:

http://www.usrsa.com/cgi/changeracquet.cgi for the PD

http://www.usrsa.com/cgi/changeracquet.cgi for the PD plus

ready my post again.

It says the PURE DRIVE RODDICK has the same power basically as the PURE DRIVE PLUS ----> NOTICE NO RODDICK.

thank you.

Hewittfan22
11-16-2006, 09:18 PM
lol goodone , Gut reaction thinks hes an smart ***** ,this guy is quite annoying

Gut Reaction
11-17-2006, 08:43 AM
(maybe I'll just cut 1/2 inch off all his PD+'s :-)
-Robert

Thats what she said ;)!!...LOL

seriously though...you may also want to simply tighten up the strings. That will affect you a WHOLE lot more than switching racquets.

rscottdds
11-17-2006, 09:59 AM
He strings his racquets tight already. He even started using an all polly job to tame the power but still has control issues with the PD+.
-Robert

jackson vile
11-17-2006, 04:53 PM

-Robert

You can do one or all

#1 use new polys
#2 add weight to the bottom of the handle
#3 use more spin

Other wise I say go to a 03tour mp

rykwon
11-20-2006, 08:59 PM
I just switched from ARPD+ to ARPD. Great difference! 1/2 inch does make a difference. The + was abit overpowering and really had to work on the control. The standard was just right. Great control and power on demand! Just my $0.02:-D