PDA

View Full Version : Difference in 2 Gamma Tabletop Models?

tennis&racquetball89
11-15-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm thinking of buying either the Gamma X-ST or the Gamma Progression ST ll table-top stringers. Both models look very similar and are also similar in price. Anyone know the difference? I think atssports.com has the best deal on them from what I've seen. They give free cover, shipping, and some string with both models. Also, please give any reasons not to buy these types of stringers if there are any.

I'm used to stringing on my tennis coaches floor model and it's real nice. If I buy a tabletop will I be dissapointed? I always here people say go for the models with stands but it seems to me if you have a table top stringer sitting on a table or desk what defference does it make anyway? I think it would be nicer because it is more compace and would be more portable.

Gamma Tech
11-15-2006, 01:29 PM
try doing a search and you should find all the information you need. I can answer more specific question too.

bret

tennis&racquetball89
11-15-2006, 06:38 PM
I tried doing a search and I couldn't find much (but I'm new to this website and am still figuring out how to use it).

Also, another similar stringer to the ones I mentioned above is the Alpha Revo 4000. I was wondering if anyone could compare/contrast that with either of the Gamma machines? All of the machines look almost exactly the same and I haven't got to try any of them yet. Please help me! Another thing I couldn't find was a price on the Alpha Revo 4000. Anyone know what it is?

thejackal
11-15-2006, 08:14 PM
I have the Prog II and its a solid tabletop model. other than the clamps being plastic and slipping once in a while (nothing a slight adjustment can't fix) i wouldnt change a thing. plus it fits in my closet when im not using it.

Midlife crisis
11-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Here are a couple of threads:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=87990&highlight=gamma+x-st+progression

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=26141&highlight=gamma+x-st+progression

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=17374&highlight=gamma+x-st+progression

I have the X-ST. It's a very high quality stringer, and it produces very accurately repeatable stringjobs.

tennis&racquetball89
11-16-2006, 05:23 PM
I've never seen plastic clamps before. That scares me a little. Can anyone tell me more about them???

Also, haven't heard much about the Alpha Revo 4000. Anybody have it? Like it?

Redflea
11-16-2006, 06:23 PM
All the posts on the Revo (and Alpha stringing machines in general) that I have seen have been very positive. Searc on Revo and you should get a number of hits...

I just got the Pioneer DC Plus (drop-weight) which uses the same clamps, mounting system, and turntable as the Revo, and the build quality is great, the mounting is rock solid and easy to use, and the clamps work great.

Their service is great...responsive almost immediately via email, answer the phone promptly, and more than willing to spend time providing support.

Gamma Tech
11-17-2006, 05:52 AM
I've never seen plastic clamps before. That scares me a little. Can anyone tell me more about them???

The clamps are actually reinforced fiberglass. There is a metal frame that is coated over. They also have diamond coating at the teeth. They are lightweight and hold any tension you can pull. The STII shipping now have the diecast aluminum clamps. The only reason the aluminum clamps are nicer is because they have 2 rollers on the handle and they open and close a little smoother.

bret

tennis&racquetball89
11-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks for all the info guys!!!

Now I have to make a decision.

Gamma X-ST $660
or
Alpha Revo 4000 $550

To me it looks like for the extra $110 bucks all I get is more popular brand name. Please tell me what you guys would get and why.

Gamma Tech
11-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Don't stress yourself out over the decision, you are going to be extremely happy with the either machine and customer service.

bret