PDA

View Full Version : Opening a tennis facility in new york city

hartofalyon
11-15-2006, 03:19 PM
hi all,

i'm not sure if this is the right section to post this, but i was wondering if anyone has opened a tennis facility and can roughly tell me the costs involved, for example, cost to build each court (standard to high quality) asphalt (us open style), the hourly charge, and what profits can be seen from going with this venture.

thanks.

tennis-n-sc
11-15-2006, 03:32 PM
Depends on where you are. I would have serious doubts that the cost of developing a tennis facility in NYC would be an economically feasible project.

strcmp
11-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Develop a tennis facility in the outskirts of NYC.. such as in NJ.. and make it cheaper than all the other ones around there.

If you build it, they will come.. err.. rather I will come lol

hartofalyon
11-15-2006, 05:07 PM
actually, it might not be such a bad idea to build it outside nyc. real estate will be cheaper. i just researched and it costs roughly $25-$50 grand per court. at that rate, the start up cost could go way over my budget. especially if i'm looking into building 14+ courts. but tennis-n-sc, i think you're right, it's not economically feasible. it's going to take years to pay off the initial cost to develop. hey thanks for the replies guys.

power_play21
11-15-2006, 05:15 PM
You know, my father tickles his pickle in real estate here and there, so Ive accumulated some knowledge.

Enought to know that in NY, the trend is for tennis club owners to sell their clubs to companies, real estate developing, etc to build buildings and such.

The cost / benefit ratio is so small, with the same money, you can get a way better turnout applying it somewhere else.

I would seek some help from experienced people in the business by visiting a club or two there to see hoe they do it, and get some personal time with the owners themselves.

But like i said, the trend is for them to disappear, giving way to huge cashflow real estate corporations.

nyc
11-15-2006, 08:18 PM
having said that, I think it's interesting to think of creative uses of the limited real estate there is in new york. For instance, there's a lot of empty lots one might be able to lease for a season and set up a one court bubble (Insta-bubble?), as well as innovative uses of roofdecks of parking garages and commercial buildings, under bridges...

Phil
11-15-2006, 09:37 PM
having said that, I think it's interesting to think of creative uses of the limited real estate there is in new york. For instance, there's a lot of empty lots one might be able to lease for a season and set up a one court bubble (Insta-bubble?), as well as innovative uses of roofdecks of parking garages and commercial buildings, under bridges...

This has all been done...there are tennis clubs under bridges-60th St. or thereabouts, under the bridge, on rooftops-Midtown Tennis and a few others, on top of parking garages-Crosstown Tennis...some of these still exist and some do not. The REAL ESTATE bubble is what's killing tennis in NYC. Many clubs have closed in Manhattan and As tennis-n-sc implied, I wouldn't even consider building a tennis club in Manhattan.

CanadianChic
11-16-2006, 04:17 AM
:twisted: Okay, I know I'm going to get in so much trouble for this and I apologize in advance, but why not Palestine? Judging from the new people who have joined this forum to discuss tennis, yet were inadvertently pulled into religious discussions, I'd say the interest in the sport is on the rise in that region. LOL
No need - I've kicked me own arse for that one.

tennis-n-sc
11-22-2006, 12:21 PM
:twisted: Okay, I know I'm going to get in so much trouble for this and I apologize in advance, but why not Palestine? Judging from the new people who have joined this forum to discuss tennis, yet were inadvertently pulled into religious discussions, I'd say the interest in the sport is on the rise in that region. LOL
No need - I've kicked me own arse for that one.

And rightly so!!!;)

ibringtheHEAT
02-11-2007, 02:42 PM
underground tennis?????

ive seen it before why not again