PDA

View Full Version : There are barely any 90 inch frames now

Duzza
11-15-2006, 04:43 PM
I just did racquet finder and there was the nSix-One 90, Yonex RDS, RDX and MP-Tour 1. Add to that the new Aerogel 100, kSix-One 90 and Prostaff 85 still only 7 frames to be out there. It's pretty sad. What are we going to do? Also, the Prestige line....

bcsax123
11-15-2006, 04:47 PM
FXP Prestige Mid, PC 600, all actually 90s.

Duzza
11-15-2006, 04:49 PM
FXP Prestige Mid, PC 600, all actually 90s.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. It was cause I used the Racquet finder and set it to 85-90 they aren't included.

Davai
11-15-2006, 05:01 PM
Rdeondo 93, somebody said that it was actually 90 si.
Also the MP Tour 1 and RDX don't count they are discontinued.

Duzza
11-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Rdeondo 93, somebody said that it was actually 90 si.
Also the MP Tour 1 and RDX don't count they are discontinued.

RDX is still for sale....I can find MP Tour's pretty easily...

NoBadMojo
11-15-2006, 05:05 PM
I just did racquet finder and there was the nSix-One 90, Yonex RDS, RDX and MP-Tour 1. Add to that the new Aerogel 100, kSix-One 90 and Prostaff 85 still only 7 frames to be out there. It's pretty sad. What are we going to do? Also, the Prestige line....

companies manufacture products based upon what sells and stores stock products based upon what sells...tennis racquets arent a new invention, and there is accurate recent history as to what sells and what doesnt. if people were buying 90 headsized frames in enough qty, there would be more choices. in spite of the opinion of some TW posters, companies arent usually stupid. also know that TW stocks pretty much everything available....doesnt PK have a Redondo Mid which I think they are making a couple hundred of for the whole country?

SFrazeur
11-15-2006, 05:09 PM

I do not think that the problem is that there are not enough Mids, but the problem is that there is not a substantial variety in the mids that are available. They are all very similar, at lest on paper. The only one that is a departure from the others is the Yonex mids with 16x18 string pattern. (And the whole square head shape Yonex thing.)

Duzza
11-15-2006, 05:10 PM
I do not think that the problem is that there are not enough Mids, but the problem is that there is not a substantial variety in the mids that are available. They are all very similar, at lest on paper. The only one that is a departure from the others is the Yonex mids with 16x18 string pattern. (And the whole square head shape Yonex thing.)

Yeah agreed.

NoBadMojo
11-15-2006, 05:41 PM
two quick searches of the TW racquet finder revealed:

there are 14 options for midsized frames of the current models (headsize below 95). a couple of these 14 arent really current production frames and the Redondo Mid really isnt available in any reasonable way

there are 251 options available amongst current models for racquets with a headsize of 95 or larger

bad_call
11-15-2006, 05:52 PM
i feel your pain. i wanted a 90 to fill the gap between the PS 85 and LM Rad 98. guess i won't be emptying my wallet on another racquet anytime soon. :-(

anirut
11-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Wait for 2007 and order the Dunlop Aerogel 100 from Europe. That's a 90 sq. head. May be a tad too light at 330 grams strung.

But, hey, the 19 cm beam, 16x19 pattern looks interesting.

I'm keeping an eye on this stick. May be will have to ask my nephew in Germany to get me one of this Aerogel 100.

Davai
11-15-2006, 06:37 PM
RDX is still for sale....I can find MP Tour's pretty easily...

Well the only place that I know of that carries midsize Yonex's is TW, and they don't have any MP Toues left. The RDX can't last forever with the RDS being around.

El Diablo
11-15-2006, 06:40 PM
What are (we) going to do? Are there really players out there who lack the skill to play well with a 98 or 100 square inch frame? Who ARE you people? The 90s are dying off for the same reason cars with carbueretors died off....because something better came along.

raiden031
11-15-2006, 06:40 PM
i feel your pain. i wanted a 90 to fill the gap between the PS 85 and LM Rad 98. guess i won't be emptying my wallet on another racquet anytime soon. :-(

Check out the Prince tour NXG (92") or Diablo (93" I think)

anirut
11-15-2006, 07:11 PM
What are (we) going to do? Are there really players out there who lack the skill to play well with a 98 or 100 square inch frame? Who ARE you people? The 90s are dying off for the same reason cars with carbueretors died off....because something better came along.

Well, carbueretors aren't high-maintenance. You can remove it and clean it all by yourself. And it lasts and won't get short-circuited.

Ever driven cars with carbs? Or cars with twin carbs? Ever tuned them?

So, what's wrong if we, the 90 sq. in. head-size lovers, love to play the small head size? WHO ARE YOU to preach?

SFrazeur
11-15-2006, 07:16 PM

Well then, using your implied logic of 98-100s are better than 90s then 110's are better that 98-100s.

alan-n
11-15-2006, 07:17 PM
This carburetor vs 90" mid sized racquet analogy is silly. Its up to the player to be able to handle them and adjust no matter what the situation is. In that manner 90" requires honed techniques and strokes that still require adjustments by the player.

If you are going to make a car vs racquet analogy. 90" frames would be your formula 1 car and tweeners would be your formula 3 car. They are all high performance, requiring a high level of skill to play with. With the formula 1 you have a higher degree of tuning and more things that can go wrong if you don't maintain your playing level and stokes.

Duzza
11-15-2006, 07:29 PM
What El Diablo?? How the hell is a 98 inch frame BETTER??? I have no idea how you came up with that. I enjoy the maneuvrability of 90 si. frames in comparison to 98, that's all. 98 makes me feel like I'm cheating somewhat.

Anirut- I saw the Aerogel 100, but if it's only gonna be in Europe, it's pretty tough to buy it blindly.

anirut
11-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Anirut- I saw the Aerogel 100, but if it's only gonna be in Europe, it's pretty tough to buy it blindly.

Looking at the specs only, I should think it will play like a flexier Asian version of the Tour 90 (19 mm beam, RA 63, 315 gram unstrung). Don't know about the SW though. Guess it should be around 315 - 325. Dunno, just a guess.

Hope it has that soft yet solid, thuddy Dunlop feel to it.

NoBadMojo
11-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Well, carbueretors aren't high-maintenance. You can remove it and clean it all by yourself. And it lasts and won't get short-circuited.

Ever driven cars with carbs? Or cars with twin carbs? Ever tuned them?

So, what's wrong if we, the 90 sq. in. head-size lovers, love to play the small head size? WHO ARE YOU to preach?

valgamedios! anirut, you cant possibly believe that fuel injection is more maintenance than carbueration (sp?) , especially twin carbs. the maintenance on fuel injection is typically zero unless you want to every 25,000 miles or so dump a container of the fuel injector cleaner into your gas tank. maybe by maintenance you are meaning easier to repair if something breaks?
i've owned several sports cars over the years with dual carbs..they were either Stromberg or SU carbs and had cars with both downdraft and sidedraft carbs, and every single one of these cars required getting under the hood and tuning the carbs often because they sure wouldnt remaining purring for very long. the standing line was 'drive em' once and tune the carbs once'. i remember a simple device called the Unisync <or something like that> which would help you match the airflow, but after a while i discovered i did a better job of tuning by sound and feel. it was part of the pain in the butt charm of these cars along with the smell of musty leather and canvas from the top...i can almost smell it now....thanks for the trip down memory lane

anirut
11-15-2006, 08:39 PM
... maybe by maintenance you are meaning easier to repair if something breaks?

... but after a while i discovered i did a better job of tuning by sound and feel. it was part of the pain in the butt charm of these cars along with the smell of musty leather and canvas from the top...i can almost smell it now....thanks for the trip down memory lane

Ed,

My answers are YES and YES!

I used to drive a twin-carb 1600 cc VW. The fast back one. What a machine! Oh, and stepping down the accelerator was like pouring gas down the drain, but it gives you that kind of pinned-to-the-seat feel.

hoosierbr
11-15-2006, 09:16 PM
90" racquets are generally best suited for serve-and-volley and all-court play. Old school tennis, more traditional grips, flattish hitting and such. Of course a good enough player can use any racquet for anything. As many players don't play this kind of tennis any more or at least very often the desire for these frames is limited to older players and some younger ones, like myself, who choose to kick it old school.

However, the Wilson NCode 6.1 90 (Federer) seems to sell well, in large part I think because that's the racquet Fed is advertised to play. (Whether he actually does is a matter of debate.) It's a good racquet for sure and I've spent a lot of time with it but, alas, decided it was too demanding for me. It's demanding for anybody - it's heavy as hell, stiff and has the smallest sweetspot I've ever come across. If Fed does indeed use it or something similar that only proves how remarkably talented he is in using it with such success. I'm not Roger, I'm Randy. I can roll with the headband and look like a badass but if I pulled that stick out in a match I'd look like a fool.

The best 90" frame ever made, IMO, was the Fischer Vac Pro 90. A hefty 12 oz but a super low swingweight and very flexy. A work of art. That's a midsize I can dig!

BTW, Ed (Nobadmojo), interesting to see you're using IsoSpeed in the crosses with Klip. IsoSpeed is a nice feeling string but I didn't find it very durable. How's your luck been?

Rafa's best friend
11-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Nobody wants 90 sq inch anymore due to attainable control with bigger head so even the pros want little bigger head to return those 140mph serves...

Duzza
11-15-2006, 09:43 PM
90" racquets are generally best suited for serve-and-volley and all-court play. Old school tennis, more traditional grips, flattish hitting and such.

Hmm I'm using a 90 inch and play most of my games from the baseline...

anirut
11-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Hmm I'm using a 90 inch and play most of my games from the baseline...

Not trying to teach you, but you should try ripping the balls really hard in a running approach, placing them at the corners and take control of the net. Then you'll have all the fun of the 90".

Ever tried a backhand topspin approach? It's fun.

Duzza
11-15-2006, 09:58 PM
Not trying to teach you, but you should try ripping the balls really hard in a running approach, placing them at the corners and take control of the net. Then you'll have all the fun of the 90".

Ever tried a backhand topspin approach? It's fun.

I used to approach a lot of the time. Just not making effective shots to finish the point, getting passed, say once or twice then backing down for the rest of the set. I have a 2H BH so topspin is never that big.

anirut
11-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Yeah, 2HBH would make it hard to play TS BH approach.

BTW, do you play topspin most of the time? Or more flat? Do you "brush" the ball for your topspin? Or ripping it to get the spin? Just curious.

For me I rip the ball to generate that flatish spin.

Duzza
11-15-2006, 10:05 PM
Yeah, 2HBH would make it hard to play TS BH approach.

BTW, do you play topspin most of the time? Or more flat? Do you "brush" the ball for your topspin? Or ripping it to get the spin? Just curious.

For me I rip the ball to generate that flatish spin.

For Forehand topspin? Or backhand topspin? My Backhand topspin only in long rallies and when I'm pushed back, forehand- for maximum topspin, which is not all the time, I try really hard to emphasise low-high and yeah rip it, not brush it.

anirut
11-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Well ... using a 90", try to keep your rallies shot. They are like sniper rifles, you know, powerful and accurate. But it's heavy and takes times to reload, not like the sub-machine guns that you can keep firing away.

BreakPoint
11-16-2006, 01:37 AM
I think a better car analogy would be manual transmissions versus automatic transmissions. Some people just like the control, versatility, and work involved in driving a manual transmission car. It's just a much more satisfying experience and you get out of it what you put into it - i.e., you know it's you doing it and not the car doing it for you.

It's the same thing with midsize racquets - i.e., more control, maneuverability, versatility, and much more satisfying to play with. You feel more like it's you hitting the ball and not the racquet hitting the ball for you.

And the last time I checked, many people still prefer manual transmission cars, and many are still sold, especially outside of the U.S.

anirut
11-16-2006, 05:32 AM
^^

Well, I've never though that I'd like automatic transmission. However, having driven automatic-trasmission cars for the past five years, my perception of automatic transmission has changed.

Why?

Because once you learn to use something well, you know how to "work around" its limitations.

I drive my car as though it's a manual. I don't use the "kick-down" much but I'd just shift the stick down and take the engine revving up till around 5,000 RPM before I shift the stick up. This allows me to overtake 130 kph cars ahead of me pretty easily.

It's all about knowing how to work around the limitations of what you've got.

AndrewD
11-16-2006, 05:59 AM
Duzza,

Speaking for myself, I find that more choice isn't always the best thing. So, if you want 90sq you've only got options x, y and z. Pick one and play with it. Keeps things nice and simple.

On that note, have you sold the POG mids yet?

bad_call
11-16-2006, 06:34 AM
I think a better car analogy would be manual transmissions versus automatic transmissions. Some people just like the control, versatility, and work involved in driving a manual transmission car. It's just a much more satisfying experience and you get out of it what you put into it - i.e., you know it's you doing it and not the car doing it for you.

It's the same thing with midsize racquets - i.e., more control, maneuverability, versatility, and much more satisfying to play with. You feel more like it's you hitting the ball and not the racquet hitting the ball for you.

And the last time I checked, many people still prefer manual transmission cars, and many are still sold, especially outside of the U.S.

pretty good analogy here. btw - i still drive a stick. :mrgreen:

NoBadMojo
11-16-2006, 06:44 AM
BTW, Ed (Nobadmojo), interesting to see you're using IsoSpeed in the crosses with Klip. IsoSpeed is a nice feeling string but I didn't find it very durable. How's your luck been?

I'm only 10-12 hours into this setup, am not a big string breaker getting 20-25 hours out of Klip Legend and dont break cross strings before mains (for anyone who wishes to pick away at this, there have been a couple anomilies where i broke the x's first). So far so good...actually this setup is great for me. I'm hooked on this setup. If interested in it, i created a thread about this setup over in the strings forum.

southpaw
11-16-2006, 07:28 AM
Duzza,
We are in the golden age of mids. The ps85, pc600, pog93 are still available, amazing when you consider that those racquet are decades old. Throw in the updated versions of those racquets plus the solid offerings from Yonex, PK and Volkl, and you have a decent selection flexes, sw's and feels to choose from.

Just wait a few years when some of the big marketing guns like Fed, Safin and Hewitt begin to retire. The selection we have now will seem like a Vegas all-you can-eat buffet.

skuludo
11-16-2006, 08:41 AM
I was the one who bought the last couple of the Yonex MP-Tour 1 mids from Tennis Warehouse. I don't know if I still like these frames. Wouldn't mind trading a few for a n6.1 tour 90 since I have no luck obtaining a demo of this frame. I have 5 total all used. 4 of them are in good shape.

Duzza
11-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Duzza,

Speaking for myself, I find that more choice isn't always the best thing. So, if you want 90sq you've only got options x, y and z. Pick one and play with it. Keeps things nice and simple.

On that note, have you sold the POG mids yet?

Nope, not yet. Shame because I am not using them.

bertrevert
11-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Duzza,
We are in the golden age of mids. The ps85, pc600, pog93 are still available, amazing when you consider that those racquet are decades old. Throw in the updated versions of those racquets plus the solid offerings from Yonex, PK and Volkl, and you have a decent selection flexes, sw's and feels to choose from.

The selection we have now will seem like a Vegas all-you can-eat buffet.
Heh heh heh, they aren't that bad, from memory just a bit hard to face in the morning-after light... :)

Not sure you can call this a golden age as there were surely more earlier, as in, eighties-earlier, and they seemed to rule the roost.

We had this recent thread about using a MID which had some interesting viewpoints:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=105252

To pronounce them dead is premature but "The Inch That Changed Tennis Forever" has happened:
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200601/200601science_inch.html

Aint no going back. It seems to me to be pretty hard to go under 95 in these circumstances and given the opposition. And yes I've seen lots of peeps failing with "The Federer". Now that is a real hard racquet to make click. I find the 001 MID a lot easier than that one for sure.

BigServer1
11-16-2006, 02:36 PM
Vantage makes a 90" racquet too...

BigServer1
11-16-2006, 02:38 PM

Nice analogy!

AndrewD
11-16-2006, 03:43 PM
Nope, not yet. Shame because I am not using them.

Duzza,
I'm hitting with the TT Warrior MP on the weekend so, depending on how that goes, I might have to drop you a line. Of course, my POG mid might be tough to match as the swingweight is so low.

Have you tried the Diablo Mid? I've only had a couple of hits with one but it does offer a very different response to the POG mid. Feels a bit heftier (that would be the swingweight) but still quite mobile, excellent spin (not as much as the POG mid but still exceptionally spin-friendly and is kinder to strings and balls), more power (although I find the POG mid to have very good power) and a bigger sweetspot. In my opinion, it's a far superior racquet to the nCode 90, RDS 001, RDX 500 and the newer Head Prestige mids (of course, not everyone likes the Prince grip shape or head shape so it is just a matter of taste).

I'd love to get my hands on another one to have an extended test but, frustratingly, like most things it isn't available up here.

WhiteSox05CA
11-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Especially considering 90 sq. in. used to be MID, now it's at the lowest end of the racket head spectrum.
________
COLORADO MARIJUANA DISPENSARY (http://colorado.dispensaries.org/)

SFrazeur
11-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Especially considering 90 sq. in. used to be MID, now it's at the lowest end of the racket head spectrum.

I cannot recall what the names were for the original categories. Perhaps someones could tell us.

I know the racquets smaller than Mid(85-93) were called standard(65-84?).

AndrewD
11-16-2006, 05:30 PM
I cannot recall what the names were for the original categories. Perhaps someones could tell us.

I think it depends on where you're from but I do know that in the UK they used to distinguish between racquets based on what percentage larger than standard they were. So, very roughly (as my memory isn't what it used to be), the Dunlop Max 200G would have 25% oversize (over the size of the standard frame - I think they used 65sq as standard), the PS85 would have been 30% oversize , and the POG OS would have been 70% oversize.

The only other term I can recall is 'super-midsize' which some out here used to refer to racquets that were around the 95sq mark (bigger than mid but not really oversize).

sypl
11-16-2006, 06:17 PM
What El Diablo?? How the hell is a 98 inch frame BETTER??? I have no idea how you came up with that. I enjoy the maneuvrability of 90 si. frames in comparison to 98, that's all.

You were doing alright up to here, until...

98 makes me feel like I'm cheating somewhat.... that. Guys, it ain't cheating to be using a bigger headsize. Not until the ITF bans it anyway. But then they'd have to take away the rackets of Nadal and Roddick, and I don't see that happening. Basically, if it offers similar qualities and you can handle a slightly larger size then, all things being equal, it's simply better. It's why we don't use standard size rackets anymore. Roll with the times, maaaaaaaaan.

Duzza
11-16-2006, 07:21 PM

... that. Guys, it ain't cheating to be using a bigger headsize. Not until the ITF bans it anyway. But then they'd have to take away the rackets of Nadal and Roddick, and I don't see that happening. Basically, if it offers similar qualities and you can handle a slightly larger size then, all things being equal, it's simply better. It's why we don't use standard size rackets anymore. Roll with the times, maaaaaaaaan.

I know I know, but I....just...don't want to...simple :p

SFrazeur
11-16-2006, 07:37 PM

... that. Guys, it ain't cheating to be using a bigger headsize. Not until the ITF bans it anyway. But then they'd have to take away the rackets of Nadal and Roddick, and I don't see that happening. Basically, if it offers similar qualities and you can handle a slightly larger size then, all things being equal, it's simply better. It's why we don't use standard size rackets anymore. Roll with the times, maaaaaaaaan.

You are forgetting what some might consider one of the most important aspects of a racquet; that being feel. Mid racquet have a playing feel unlike larger racquets. Some consider feel to be major component to control. Sampras would not Piant job a racquet for fear it would denigrate the feel of his St V. PS 85s.

sypl
11-16-2006, 07:54 PM
You are forgetting what some might consider one of the most important aspects of a racquet; that being feel. Mid racquet have a playing feel unlike larger racquets. Some consider feel to be major component to control. Sampras would not Piant job a racquet for fear it would denigrate the feel of his St V. PS 85s.

This is true, but then I'd argue that feel is more something formed from habit than from the equipment. It's why pros don't change rackets much, because they're just so used to what they're using - it's almost like a glove rather than a racquet.

But if you grow up with something like, say, an oversize racquet and you play well with it, I doubt you'd say the racquet lacks feel. If you grabbed a random pro and stuck a wooden racquet in his hand I don't think he'd be blown away by the 'feel'. He's find it hard to adjust simply because it's not the feel he's used to. All pros have great feel - the feel for their own racquet!

southpaw
11-17-2006, 12:43 PM
Not sure you can call this a golden age as there were surely more earlier, as in, eighties-earlier, and they seemed to rule the roost.

Probably so, but many of those frames were dogs that didn't hunt. I just browsed the tennis warehouse 1998 index from archive.org. Figured I would find tons of under 95" heads, but the selection is arguably better right now than it was 8 years ago. Wilson had 1 racquet then, 2 now. Head 1 then, 2 now. Lost the Fisher 90, but added a pk. Yonex 0, but they have 2 now.

What's apparent is that, regardless of headsize, the average weight of racquets is down. In 1998 TW offered less than a dozen racquets under 10oz, while the current racquet finder database shows more than 50. Of course TW's catalog doesn't reflect the state of the entire industry, but still makes for an interesting comparison.

thejerk
11-17-2006, 03:26 PM
I wish Prince would start making tri-comp 90's again. I love the head classic 600 the best but the tri comp is easier to use. Feel is the best thing about mids. My theory is that the shorter the strings the better the feel. It seems that way to me.

Duzza
11-17-2006, 03:38 PM
Duzza,
I'm hitting with the TT Warrior MP on the weekend so, depending on how that goes, I might have to drop you a line. Of course, my POG mid might be tough to match as the swingweight is so low.

Have you tried the Diablo Mid? I've only had a couple of hits with one but it does offer a very different response to the POG mid. Feels a bit heftier (that would be the swingweight) but still quite mobile, excellent spin (not as much as the POG mid but still exceptionally spin-friendly and is kinder to strings and balls), more power (although I find the POG mid to have very good power) and a bigger sweetspot. In my opinion, it's a far superior racquet to the nCode 90, RDS 001, RDX 500 and the newer Head Prestige mids (of course, not everyone likes the Prince grip shape or head shape so it is just a matter of taste).

I'd love to get my hands on another one to have an extended test but, frustratingly, like most things it isn't available up here.

Yeah, not a fan of the Prince grip's now....after trying Wilson and Yonex. My RDX 500's feel like they are gonna serve me for a long time. I'll have the POG's probably until someone in Australia offers me for them(saves the hassle of US shipping) so no rush. Until then they will just sit in my bag, lonesome and all.

AndrewD
11-17-2006, 11:04 PM
Yeah, not a fan of the Prince grip's now....after trying Wilson and Yonex. My RDX 500's feel like they are gonna serve me for a long time. I'll have the POG's probably until someone in Australia offers me for them(saves the hassle of US shipping) so no rush. Until then they will just sit in my bag, lonesome and all.

Duzza,
Okay mate, I'll have a hit with the Warrior MP tomorrow and let you know either way.

Oh, are they the ones the bloke sold you for $130Aus for the two? How much do you want for them with shipping and what grip size were they (I think you've posted a pic or two of them before so I'll have a hunt for that) ?

Just thought to ask: Would you consider a trade for them or would you prefer just the cash? I only ask as I'm pretty certain our pro shop has a number of RDX500's (mp and mid) for sale at a very good price (plus a couple of demos for sale) and I gathered that is what you'll be sticking with.

Duzza
11-18-2006, 01:41 AM
Duzza,
Okay mate, I'll have a hit with the Warrior MP tomorrow and let you know either way.

Oh, are they the ones the bloke sold you for $130Aus for the two? How much do you want for them with shipping and what grip size were they (I think you've posted a pic or two of them before so I'll have a hunt for that) ?

Just thought to ask: Would you consider a trade for them or would you prefer just the cash? I only ask as I'm pretty certain our pro shop has a number of RDX500's (mp and mid) for sale at a very good price (plus a couple of demos for sale) and I gathered that is what you'll be sticking with.

Shame I said i got them for 130AUD because it's true :p. I would be more than happy to trade them both for a new/used RDX 500 mid. The 130 was unstrung kept in mind, and these are both pretty much freshly strung(used once or twice) with SPPP. Count in frame use, I'd say 130-145, but the RDX offer sounds good too. Any other 95 inch frames you know that are on sale?

AndrewD
11-18-2006, 04:18 AM
Duzza,

I don't think they have any 95sq racquets on sale as, in our pro shop, that would only be Wilson and they never go on sale.

Did you mean 90sq by any chance? If you did, I think the Yonex RDX500 is the only one they have. Of course, I will have to double-check to make sure they have it in the midsize version or only in the midplus. Will post a message in this thread tomorrow night and let you know either way.

Regarding your question about Prince shoes: Here's a link to the old TW page for the NFS freaks. It might give you a bit of extra information while you're trying to find them. Nice work scoring a job at Prelli although, oddly, I thought you were from WA, not Melbourne. Regardless, I do remember, back about 15 or so years ago, walking down Victoria Parade to their shop and almost being knocked out by the yeast fumes coming from the old brewery LOL.

http://web.archive.org/web/20041023112914/www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMSPRINCE-PFRK.html

Duzza
11-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Duzza,

I don't think they have any 95sq racquets on sale as, in our pro shop, that would only be Wilson and they never go on sale.

Did you mean 90sq by any chance? If you did, I think the Yonex RDX500 is the only one they have. Of course, I will have to double-check to make sure they have it in the midsize version or only in the midplus. Will post a message in this thread tomorrow night and let you know either way.

Regarding your question about Prince shoes: Here's a link to the old TW page for the NFS freaks. It might give you a bit of extra information while you're trying to find them. Nice work scoring a job at Prelli although, oddly, I thought you were from WA, not Melbourne. Regardless, I do remember, back about 15 or so years ago, walking down Victoria Parade to their shop and almost being knocked out by the yeast fumes coming from the old brewery LOL.

http://web.archive.org/web/20041023112914/www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMSPRINCE-PFRK.html

Hmm I don't mind what you offer me for the two POG's really, as long as its ~12 oz haha.

AndrewD
11-19-2006, 01:23 AM
Duzza,

I checked today and, sorry to say, they only had the RDX500 MP, not the Mid.

As to your POGs, I might have to take a rain check on that. The Warrior MP I was trying was strung so tight it was impossible to get any idea whether it will suit me or not. I'm getting it re-strung (17g PSG) and will hit with it next Sunday. So, if someone else makes you an offer before then, grab it and it'll be my loss.

I'm just a little bit torn between the POG and Warrior MP at the moment as I do know that the slightly larger hitting area could be beneficial to my game BUT, I have had some arm trouble of late and if I feel the slightest twinge I won't continue with it. The POG, despite its stiffness, never gives me the slightest trouble although I'm possibly less effective with it than a slightly larger headsize (lets face it, I'm getting old LOL). Still, I'd rather be less effective and have a few more mishits but continue to play tennis than have a sore arm and not be able to play at all. That being said, I was serving absolute bombs in my last set of the day while using the POG. Not just flat serves but huge breaking stuff with real pace that was giving 2 guys rated ITN 4 (NTRP 5.0) absolute fits (left-handers so they deserved it LOL). Given that it was strung with Wilson Stamina 16 (the world's worst string - little string movement but no feel and no power) I'm slightly encouraged. Am having my POG strung with some PSGD 18g and will compare its performance to the Warrior. If that better string gives me a little more zip and a bit more feel then I'll probably stick with the POG.

tennis_nerd22
11-19-2006, 07:22 AM
edit deleted...

bertrevert
11-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Nothing wrong with playing from the baseline with a MID, depth and power should be fine and on tap.

However I agree that when trialling a racquet ultimately, and perhaps fairly quickly, you have to take a step back, look at results so far, and adjudge whether you keep going, or decide if it's knobbling your game...

haerdalis
11-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Another often overlocked advantage of the mid is that the serve alot better because sweetspots are higher on those racquets than on oversized racquets. On PS 85 the length from handle to sweetspot is as long if not longer than on pure drive + for instance.

emerckx53
11-20-2006, 05:18 PM

I was in your boat...dnx 10 mid 93...it will do the trick....

bertrevert
11-20-2006, 05:45 PM
advantage of the mid is that they serve alot better because sweetspots are higher on those racquets than on oversized racquets. On PS 85 the length from handle to sweetspot is as long if not longer than on pure drive + for instance.

I've never heard of this - good insight, many thanks - and it makes sense. My 001 MID is great to serve with. The 001 MP not so good. I'll be pulling the sweetspot in the MP higher by adding lead @ 2 and 10. I tend to hit higher in stringbeds than not. Didn't know this was characteristic of MIDs. Ta!

Steve Huff
11-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Not many 90" frames huh. Tells you something, doesn't it.

AndrewD
11-20-2006, 08:48 PM
Nothing wrong with playing from the baseline with a MID, depth and power should be fine and on tap.

However I agree that when trialling a racquet ultimately, and perhaps fairly quickly, you have to take a step back, look at results so far, and adjudge whether you keep going, or decide if it's knobbling your game...

bertrvert,
Power and depth are really up to the player to generate (moreso with a mid) but it's there if you can access it. However, I think people are often misled by the performance of a mid on serve. It's one thing to generate good power, control and spin when you are in control of the shot but quite another when you're being moved side to side, up and back or dealing with a hard hit shot.

I also agree that you should be able to judge quite quickly whether or not a racquet is giving you or will give you the results you're after. Yes, you can play well and hit your shots equally well with anything but, for me, 'feel' is very important and if I don't like that (or think I can fix it with a particular string) then I'll move on.

yonexred2113
01-19-2007, 08:37 PM
u ever heard of the rds 001?????????jeez

LarougeNY
01-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Wait for 2007 and order the Dunlop Aerogel 100 from Europe. That's a 90 sq. head. May be a tad too light at 330 grams strung.

But, hey, the 19 cm beam, 16x19 pattern looks interesting.

I'm keeping an eye on this stick. May be will have to ask my nephew in Germany to get me one of this Aerogel 100.

thats huge!! jk, its good to see some thinner beamed 90s out there, and the 330 grams strung is better for the non 5.0 range, its more player friendly. too bad its not slated for release here in the U.S. bummer...

Hewitt Aussie
01-20-2007, 06:39 AM
now you have a 90 inch frame that just came into TW. It is called theeeee.....

Wilson [K] Factor 90