PDA

View Full Version : Babolat should make mid size racquets

Hewittfan22
11-15-2006, 09:42 PM
We all know that babolat racquets are mostly powerful and very stiff. Shoudln't they start making control racquets aka true player's racquet? something similar to head prestige mid or ncode 90 i mean at least something 95sq in head size. Babolat's smallest head size is 98 and Pure control is "considered" one of most control racquet they have it out there, but as you guys proably all have experinced that this racquet is really more like pure power than pure control its even more powerful than the pure drive.
Babolat is the only racquet company out there that doesn't make racquets head smaller than 98 which i am very disappointed about.
As dominant racquet company they are right now, they would be even more dominant once they start making player's racquets.

Hewittfan22
11-15-2006, 09:50 PM
oops im sorry guys please excuse me i didnt count on gamma, fishcer, and Tecnifibre for not making racquets head size smaller than 98 actually Tecnifibre is 97 but pretty close to 98. But i still think that babolat is a big enough of racquet company to have all sorts of racquets not just powerful ones. cause gamma, fishcer, and tecnifibre hasnt really developed to be a big company yet.

staedtler
11-15-2006, 10:08 PM
I think Fischer use to make mid-sized racquets but have quit. I dont know why though. I think Tecnifibre could really make a nice mid-sized racquet. I just bought a 320 off someone from these forums, and its a really nice racquet. Great control and comfortable.

Steve Huff
11-15-2006, 10:11 PM
I think Babolat hit the groung already in stride. Their marketing people seem to know what the public wants, and the speed at which they have become a major brand is phenominal. My suggestion is that they keep using the research tools they have, and if the market doesn't call for more MID size rackets, they shouldn't waste their time.

Rafa's best friend
11-15-2006, 10:14 PM
I think head size is just fine but they need to make rackets that has lighter Swingweight, most of their frames swingweight is over 330, which is not acceptable, swingweight must be between 310-325. And they need to make more extended rackets that are super stiff and and has head size of 100 sq inches that has light swingweight....................................... .............................

anirut
11-15-2006, 10:45 PM
I think one reason Bab doesn't make smaller than 98 head is because of a marketing term:

"Positioning."

At a glance, Bab has positioned itself as "the tennis racket for the new generation". At least that's what can be readily perceived. It would be futile for Bab to compete head-on with longer-established brands like Wilson and Dunlop in the smaller-than-98 head category.

If Bab was to compete in the smaller head category, Bab will loose it's "new generation" positioning. At least they won't do it in a short while from now. Bab needs to be able to establish its brand as "high quality racket" before it can compete in the mid-size market.

Just imagine, WHAT IF Bab comes out next month with a 90", RA 68, 6 pts HL, 11.5 oz racket? Would serious players readily believe that it'll be any good?

But if that same racket is released by Wilson under the Pro Staff range, a lot of interests will be flying around the board, as the Pro Staff has been well-positioned as a "serious" racket.

That's the power of positioning.

Hewittfan22
11-15-2006, 11:44 PM
so you are saying that babolat is not a high quality brand? are you kidding? more than half of the pros uses babolat i would say that is a pretty big sucess considering that babolat came out the latest out of all the major brands. Now Babolat is established as the best major racquet maker if not the one of the best. I was saying that Babolat would be even more succesful if they make players racquet because they already have a good brand image to the people. When Babolat came out first nobody wanted to try it and moya,roddick and clisters started using it and people tried it little by little and look what happend now, everyone is playing with babolat.
I am sure they will struggle selling the racquets in short term but if you look at in a long term i guarantee you its gonna be a another babolat success.
Who knows if babolat made a nice soild 90 sq inch similar to ncode and sponsored federer, everybody would start playing with babolat.

anirut
11-16-2006, 12:04 AM
Don't take the words "high quality" literally. I'm not saying Bab rackets are low quality, but, as more-or-less of a new brand, the term "high quality" is more of a perception.

OK, let's see if I can make it simpler by saying "Babs are high quality rackets for the new generation of players."

But, being an old man, I don't perceive Bab as a high quality racket for MY playing style. I have tried the Pure Control Zylon, the Pure Drive and the AeroPro. None of them suit my style. None. But I see a lot of kids (the "younger generation") out there playing Babs. No, I don't view them as bashers (well, many of them are) nor I'm saying Babs is crap. The racket just "suits" their playing styles.

Anyway, this is all marketing talk. I'm a ad-man and I think I understand what Bab is thinking. May be wait another five years and Bab may come out with a mid. Of course, unless they are able to find a "young generation" player who's using a mid (which I seriously doubt) and willing to bet on Bab.

BTW, even if Bab sponsored Fed with a 90 inch head, I'm not going to use it if it feels crap to me. A good ad-man makes good ads but won't fall prey to good ads. Hope you know what I mean.

louis netman
11-16-2006, 12:33 AM
I think one reason Bab doesn't make smaller than 98 head is because of a marketing term:

"Positioning."

It's all about positioning...

kchau
11-16-2006, 12:39 AM
Don't take the words "high quality" literally. I'm not saying Bab rackets are low quality, but, as more-or-less of a new brand, the term "high quality" is more of a perception.

OK, let's see if I can make it simpler by saying "Babs are high quality rackets for the new generation of players."

But, being an old man, I don't perceive Bab as a high quality racket for MY playing style. I have tried the Pure Control Zylon, the Pure Drive and the AeroPro. None of them suit my style. None. But I see a lot of kids (the "younger generation") out there playing Babs. No, I don't view them as bashers (well, many of them are) nor I'm saying Babs is crap. The racket just "suits" their playing styles.

Anyway, this is all marketing talk. I'm a ad-man and I think I understand what Bab is thinking. May be wait another five years and Bab may come out with a mid. Of course, unless they are able to find a "young generation" player who's using a mid (which I seriously doubt) and willing to bet on Bab.

BTW, even if Bab sponsored Fed with a 90 inch head, I'm not going to use it if it feels crap to me. A good ad-man makes good ads but won't fall prey to good ads. Hope you know what I mean.

im going to stand straight up and say, babolat is LOW quality.

i have 5 pure drive roddicks (1 is cracked)

on 1 of them, the surface coating of paint is flaking off.
on my cracked one, it was a hairline, and they declined warranty, so i had to write a huge letter for them to replace it.
and babolat warranty department is very VERY stingy.
and also, babolat paint chips very easily, and the matte coating rubs off really quick.

they make good racquets, but they need to up their quality control and customer service. none of them even speak english right..

psp2
11-16-2006, 02:41 AM
and also, babolat paint chips very easily, and the matte coating rubs off really quick.

The above statement can apply to MANY brands of racquet manuf. out there. I have a Wilson OpenX and its pj quality SUCKS. The pj around the tieoff grommets flakes too easily.

none of them even speak english right..

...as if YOUR grasp of the English language/grammar is flawless, eh? HINT: substitute "right" with "correctly".

Chang
11-16-2006, 02:48 AM
It's all about reputation. What if Luxilon started making natural gut? It wouldn't seem right would it? Babolat doesn't make midsize racquets because they have not established a reputation for player's racquets yet. Give them more time and they may release one.

Duzza
11-16-2006, 03:41 AM
I think a better question would be "Should Babolat make midsize racquets?", the answer being no.

kchau
11-16-2006, 07:26 AM
The above statement can apply to MANY brands of racquet manuf. out there. I have a Wilson OpenX and its pj quality SUCKS. The pj around the tieoff grommets flakes too easily.

...as if YOUR grasp of the English language/grammar is flawless, eh? HINT: substitute "right" with "correctly".

who said english on a forum needed to be perfect.. you should email babolat with a random question and see what kind of horrible english they come up with:

"We can take another look at the racquet. I can not promise it will be replace, but we will be happy to see what we can do. I will contact Avanti’s to see what we can do."

tennisbass
11-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Babolat is the only racquet company out there that doesn't make racquets head smaller than 98 which i am very disappointed about...

Why not just buy racquets from other companies that do make racquets to your liking:confused:

Rafa's best friend
11-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Babolat must make more lighter swingweight rackets

Alafter
11-16-2006, 07:02 PM
I tell you what Babolat will do: it will make money. You submit a complete case study describing the potential sales of mid sized racquet along with statistics, and the cost vs profit of this project. If they think it's worth it, you won your case--production will start right away.

They are a corporation. I dont think they have the time to meet the demand of a few members of TW board.

But If you find out they do, can you please ask if they could produce a 93 inches^2 head size, 27 inches, stiffness 70, 22MM beam, strung weight 300 grams, even balance, 14x18, swingweight 325? and please arm it with cortex and woofers. I have always wondered how that would feel.

bcsax123
11-16-2006, 08:07 PM
But If you find out they do, can you please ask if they could produce a 93 inches^2 head size, 27 inches, stiffness 70, 22MM beam, strung weight 300 grams, even balance, 14x18, swingweight 325? and please arm it with cortex and woofers. I have always wondered how that would feel.
Sounds like a widebody variation of the POG...looks a lot like Graphite 2 MP...w/o cortex and woofers...