PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Stringing Machine Photo Contributions by abllee2198

varuscelli
11-15-2006, 08:48 PM
I have to pass along my thanks to TW forum member abllee2198 for his contributions of photos toward the stringing machine image library project we're working on. (And I have gotten contributions from several members so far, but please keep them coming!).

The images sent to me by abllee2198 are just amazing -- for the most part stringing machines I had no idea were out there.

I had to create a whole new category for these machines on the project site. Since abllee2198 used the word "exotic" in one of his descriptions to me, I took that cue and ran with the category heading of "Exotic and High-End Stringing Machines (http://www.photostringer.com/exotic_high_end.htm)."

Here's the direct link to the first draft of the page (I'll tweak it a bit as we go, and probably break the machines out a bit further with their own pages).

Exotic and High-End Stringing Machines (http://www.photostringer.com/exotic_high_end.htm)

This is simply an outstanding contribution to our project.

Thanks, abllee2198. Excellent stuff!!! :)

Note: I took quite a few of the photos and made multiple versions of them, in some cases pulling in tighter for closer looks at components.

As a reminder, here's the link to the main site page (the title it's going by for the time being):

Tennis Racquet Stringing Machine Photo Reference Library (http://www.photostringer.com/)

And to you other stringers out there: Please don't let abllee2198's contributions scare you off! Keep those images non-exotic, affordable and semi-affordable machines coming to me! ;)

Al Ruscelli
al@ruscelli.com
vruscelli@houston.rr.com

mellofelow
11-15-2006, 09:19 PM
UN-FREAK'N believable!!! :o

WOW!!! I'm speechless....

GREAT JOB - varuscelli!!!!

varuscelli
11-15-2006, 09:35 PM
UN-FREAK'N believable!!! :o

WOW!!! I'm speechless....

GREAT JOB - varuscelli!!!!

Hey, man, I just wish I had been at a couple of those places as a staff photographer or freelance or something to do some photography, too.

The thanks on this one all goes to abllee2198.

He sent 'em to me and I just got 'em set up to go out there on the site. Wish I could take more credit, but thanks for the acknowledgment on the effort.

"WOW" is exactly what I shouted, too. :)

Makes me glad to be working on putting these reference pages together.

Redflea
11-15-2006, 09:37 PM
That yonex looks amazing...

Nice work by both of you!

varuscelli
11-15-2006, 09:57 PM
That yonex looks amazing...

It'd look pretty nice with that racquet of yours, wouldn't it? :)

Well, I have a Yonex racquet, too, and I think it would look good with MY Yonex... :p

jj300
11-16-2006, 05:49 AM
I had a chance to see some of these photos before and I want that god damn gosen machine. Anyone wants to donate one to me?

theace21
11-16-2006, 06:00 AM
All I can say is WOW...Thanks abllee2198 - great shots and info. And of course our leader of this project - Al Ruscelli. What a great idea, and it is only getting better!

varuscelli
11-16-2006, 06:20 AM
I had a chance to see some of these photos before and I want that god damn gosen machine. Anyone wants to donate one to me?

Yeah, my understanding with the Gosen is that you can actually fire it up and use it to fly to work in the mornings, thus avoiding traffic. Just another perk of the really high-end machines... (Those Japanese stringers and their flying stringing machines...they crack me up.) :)

All I can say is WOW...Thanks abllee2198 - great shots and info. And of course our leader of this project - Al Ruscelli. What a great idea, and it is only getting better!

Pretty cool stuff, huh? ;) (abllee2198 has more on the way for me, too.)

And thanks for the comments. I really do think it's coming along nicely so far. I've got a bunch more photos in the queue for posting, too. Gonna have to quit my day job to work full time on these web pages. :-?

diredesire
11-16-2006, 10:11 AM
Albert has always been a great asset to the board, he's a cool guy, too. I've exchanged e-mails with him a few times about the tour (stringing) and what he does. Kudos to Mr. Lee

BTW: We need to get some pictures of the weird pacific machines out there. I think there was one with two tensioning heads on one machine? Not sure.

Chicken Neck
11-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Wow, great photos !!!!!! When you look at these photos it really underscores the fact that there are only a few manufacturers of stringing machines but there are many marketers or distributers of machines. For example, take a look at the turntable on the Wilson machine and then take a look at the turntable on the Alpha Apex II and you will see that except for color, they are identical.

Mike Cottrill
11-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Wow, great photos !!!!!! When you look at these photos it really underscores the fact that there are only a few manufacturers of stringing machines but there are many marketers or distributers of machines. For example, take a look at the turntable on the Wilson machine and then take a look at the turntable on the Alpha Apex II and you will see that except for color, they are identical.

The Wilson mount is the same one as the Apex not the Apex II. The Apex II is a copy of the Apex and made in anohter factory. However it is the same as the SAM Pro Master.
Mike

Chicken Neck
11-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Mike, take another look at the photos of both machines. The mounting on the Wilson machine is pretty much identical to that of the Apex II. What differerces do you see that make the turntable of the Wilson more like that of the Apex than that of the Apex II? Based upon your post am I to understand that Wilson, Alpha and SAM all share third party production facilities?

Mike Cottrill
11-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Mike, take another look at the photos of both machines. The mounting on the Wilson machine is pretty much identical to that of the Apex II. What differerces do you see that make the turntable of the Wilson more like that of the Apex than that of the Apex II? Based upon your post am I to understand that Wilson, Alpha and SAM all share third party production facilities?

Chicken Neck,
If you look close you will see slight differences. For example, look at the billiards and arms. For example, see the hole in the arms? Look at the posts.

The Apex , Wilson and some of the Sam machines are made in the same factory. The newer Alpha machines are not.

This not good or bad, just not from the same place.

Hope this helps.

Maybe I will get some of my boring Apex posted.
Mike

eunjam
11-16-2006, 01:02 PM
hey varuscelli,

have you thought about any sort of security or watermarking for your photos?

i think it would be bad if some other site ripped off your photos after all the effort you are putting into this.

you might end up having a world class photo DB that other sites/companies would want.

please think about it!!

and way to go TW members.

Chicken Neck
11-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Mike, I stand corrected. You have a good eye, at first the only difference I could see between the two was the billiards but upon closer inspection I see that the posts on the Apex II have holes in them while those on the Wilson do not. There are also screws on the sides of the posts on the Wilson. Upon closer inspection the turntable on the Wilson appears as if it might be a little heavier than that of the Apex II.

varuscelli
11-16-2006, 01:50 PM
hey varuscelli,

have you thought about any sort of security or watermarking for your photos?

i think it would be bad if some other site ripped off your photos after all the effort you are putting into this.

you might end up having a world class photo DB that other sites/companies would want.

please think about it!!

and way to go TW members.

Yeah, that kind of thing could be done, but we're working with such an assortment of images here that "ownership" is really all over the place. The only ones that I, as a photographer, own are the ones I made with my own camera. The photos being provided by others (who made their own photos) are still theirs (from a legal standpoint, their copyright). And then we have borrowed images from the manufacturers. I doubt the manufacturers would object, because it represents good advertising for them to be out there and likely bad advertising to be left off the list. I see pretty free usage of the manufacturer photos all over the Internet, so I'm taking a chance here that it won't present any problem. And I truly don't think it will.

But also, and I want to be clear about this, if someone sends me their photos to include, I'm not asking for rights to those photos other than the right to post them on the site as part of a shared and mutually contributed resource. There's a lot of gray area in there, but real copyright belongs to the creator of the image. All we're really doing is sharing resources (the way I see it). And no, we certainly wouldn't want anyone "taking" our images, but I'll have to think about whether we should perhaps mark them as some kind of joint effort. You do bring up some interesting points.

varuscelli
11-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Albert has always been a great asset to the board, he's a cool guy, too. I've exchanged e-mails with him a few times about the tour (stringing) and what he does. Kudos to Mr. Lee

BTW: We need to get some pictures of the weird pacific machines out there. I think there was one with two tensioning heads on one machine? Not sure.

Along with what Albert sent in, I also just got a BUNCH of images from Janneman, one of our forum member from the Netherlands.

Janneman sent me more amazing shots of machines I've never seen, just like Albert did. Unbelievable what we're getting with some of these images. I've got about 70 photos or so from Janneman that fall under that "exotic" category and from what looks like maybe all over Europe and the far east. I was only able to do a quick run-through of all of them, but once again it's shot after shot of great stuff.

This is going to take me a while to wade through. :confused:

I hope Janneman is reading. He doesn't post much, but I think he keeps up with the forums daily. Another really nice guy. :)

It looks like I'm going to DEFINITELY break the list out into international categories to keep up with all of the manufacturers appropriately. I wouldn't be doing them justice otherwise. This is getting to be quite a challenge.

flash9
11-16-2006, 03:26 PM
I am going to put together a group buy for the GOSEN GM200EX, maybe we can get it for $7999? ;) Maybe they will give me a discount since I go through a spool of OG Sheep Micro every other month.
NOTE: I am joking!

varuscelli - Pictures of my setup emailed.
Alpha REVO4k with a WISE 2086 on an A/V Cart

varuscelli
11-17-2006, 05:36 PM
I am going to put together a group buy for the GOSEN GM200EX, maybe we can get it for $7999? ;) Maybe they will give me a discount since I go through a spool of OG Sheep Micro every other month.
NOTE: I am joking!

varuscelli - Pictures of my setup emailed.
Alpha REVO4k with a WISE 2086 on an A/V Cart

Never joke! They might go for it. :)

Thanks for the photos! Got them all and they're in the queue.

Redflea
11-17-2006, 09:29 PM

Wow...at that price, put me down for three! :D

wombat
11-23-2006, 01:53 AM
The nice Wilson stringer is made by Eagnas, so much for the quality discussions about Eagnas.

barry
11-23-2006, 04:16 AM
The nice Wilson stringer is made by Eagnas, so much for the quality discussions about Eagnas.

Interesting, that is the same thing I heard from the local Wilson Rep. He says the only difference is the older Wilson model used the 5 tooth clamps (see pictures) and is painted red. (http://www.eagnas.com/plus8000.html.

I had an opportunity to try one and loved the tension switch (http://www.eagnas.com/maxgen1/p8sgrip.html) it makes the foot pedal obsolete. Also the linear gripper is superior to any rotational model I have used. I have a chance to try out a Babolat Star 5 soon, which should be an interesting experience!

Parts are parts and they all come from the same subs, just branded, packaged and renamed with the vendor's logo.

BiGGieStuFF
11-23-2006, 04:34 AM
Wow great job :). How's your legs feel? You been hitting yet?

varuscelli
11-23-2006, 06:27 AM
Wow great job :). How's your legs feel? You been hitting yet?

Thanks for the comments about the site, and thanks for asking about the leg. I've been going really slow with it but am doing some hitting. Have not yet gone out and played full out, but just being cautious. I'm right at the two month mark now since the injury, and except for some occasional odd stiffness in the calf/lower leg, feel ready to go. I figure this long weekend I'm gonna push things a bit and see if I survive out on the court. ;)

BiGGieStuFF
11-23-2006, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the comments about the site, and thanks for asking about the leg. I've been going really slow with it but am doing some hitting. Have not yet gone out and played full out, but just being cautious. I'm right at the two month mark now since the injury, and except for some occasional odd stiffness in the calf/lower leg, feel ready to go. I figure this long weekend I'm gonna push things a bit and see if I survive out on the court. ;)

The progress sounds slow but promising. I hope it gets better not just for sake of tennis but your long term health. Just keep me updated. Hopefully we'll get to hit sometime soon.

varuscelli
11-23-2006, 06:52 AM
The progress sounds slow but promising. I hope it gets better not just for sake of tennis but your long term health. Just keep me updated. Hopefully we'll get to hit sometime soon.

Really, though, I was told six to eight weeks of healing time and it's been that, so I actually seem to be on target with what the doctor and therapist said. "Six to eight weeks" wasn't what I wanted to hear at the time, but relatively speaking, it has gone by quickly enough. Plus, if I had been out playing tennis all this time, I would never have started studying all this stuff on stringing machines. :)

Thanks, though, for asking about it. I am TRULY ready to go back out, but wanted to err on the side of caution, if anything, and not risk immediate reinjury. I'm glad I took that approach, really.

Mike Cottrill
11-23-2006, 07:16 AM

Here we go again. The Wilson machine is made by Poreex. The same company that makes the Sam Pro Master.