PDA

View Full Version : More Fischer Pro #1 questions

semiwestern
08-12-2004, 05:08 AM
I was able to generate more spin with Slazenger X1 than with Pro# 1
It was easier to get over the top of the ball (easier to snap my wrist).
Is it due to Pro #1 being more head light?
Will adding some lead tape help?

AAAA
08-12-2004, 05:52 AM
The Pro #1 plays markedly different for different string tensions and type. I use multifilament strings at 62lbs or lower depending on the time of year/monthly temperature average. I've found that tensions around 65lbs or above make the racquet unsuitable for my ability level. The string bed becomes too stiff and unforgiving so there is little string flex giving little ball dwell time so hardly any spin for me.

Lead tape on the head may help because a little added weight can help you to drive through the ball but the extra weight may also slow down head speed.

08-12-2004, 06:05 AM
I own both sticks and get more spin from the X1....I think it's because 16 x18 in a 95 headsize = a more open strungbed than does 16 x 20 in a 98 per the Pro #1. Try stringing the Pro 1 @ 57. A few years back Fischer used to cite 55-57 pounds as the optimal 'all-round' tension range for the Pro 1...at least the 330g version. I've always stuck with it and I get plenty of spin and I have an eastern FH grip.

robkat
08-12-2004, 10:31 AM
I have had the opposite experince then AAAA had .. I thought and prefer that the Pro 1 plays much better at 65# then at lower tensions in the mid to high 50s. I was able to get good touch and feel, produce excellent spin and have good controllable power at 65#. I also thought that on the Pro1 with tension at 60# there was a dead spot at the tension, if you went higher or lower then 60# it played much better then at 60#. At 60# the frame produced too much resonance, that it was unplayable.

I agree with AAAA that the Pro 1 plays markedly different for different string tensions and type.

NoBadMojo
08-12-2004, 10:49 AM
007 i think years ago the pro#1 had a different layup..it had more ceramics and was stiffer and more like the vtpro IMO..back then the frame didnt play well outside of that very narrow tension range. think the frame has changed a bit over the years and now plays softer. also agree w. robkat..there seems to be a tension where many frames become non responsive and that is often at the higher stated tension range, but somehow oddly if you go a few pounds over the maximum, the frame seems to come back to life and becomes responsive and powerful again..i dont know why, but it seems to be w. certain frames. provided of course that you arent using poly. my .o2. ed

08-12-2004, 12:19 PM
good point....it's layup is very different now (and not for the better IMHO). I guess that's why I much prefer older Pro1's and VT98 Pros. The current stick is superior to practically everything else on the market today but the older ones............yummy.

vandercharks
08-12-2004, 07:20 PM
hey all,

I read the review of the silver/red Pro No. One from the archives. I know some playtesters felt that it was more favorable for flat-ball hitters than for those who hit with more topspin. The score on the chart was really low for that. Just wanted to get feedback from those who have hit with this stick.

Still waiting for my Pro No. One demo to come in. So would like to hear comments contrasting these.

jayserinos99
08-12-2004, 11:53 PM
i just bought three pro1s recently. on the groundies, topspin is really easy to generate; the semi-open pattern helps here imo. however, slice and flat strokes are a bit better because the racquet just plows through those types of strokes easier; i think it's the way the racquet is shaped. my only problem right now is that i can't serve my big kick serves quite well with this racquet yet; at first i was shanking a lot of serves. when i hit yesterday, i was working on my serves a lot. i noticed i really needed to concentrate on generating a lot of head speed to get decent spin on my serves.

for reference, i use a western forehand and a two handed backhand. i primarily use my serve to set up the point by using kick serves.

Jaro
08-13-2004, 03:52 AM
All recent discusions about Fischer Pro #1 inspired me to demo this racquet. I'm 4.5 all court player and 5 months ago I switched from Bab Pure Drive to Prince Diablo MP.
My Fischer demo was 320g and I've played 4 hours with it. Great racquet. It reminded me Bab PD, but with one big diference - it offers similar amount of power (if you swing fast), but at the same time perfect control (unattainable with Bab PD). Spin is easy to generate. Especialy forehand cross-court shots are amazing. Much more comfortable than Bab PD. I'm going to play two more matches with it and then I'll decide what to do. I like my Diablo MP, but ...

Jaro
08-13-2004, 04:21 AM
Vandercharks,

I can't find the review of the silver/red Pro #1. Where is it ?

vandercharks
08-13-2004, 07:13 AM
hey jaro,

here's the link.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010611054613/www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/FP1/FP1Review.html

AAAA
08-13-2004, 01:51 PM
The current stick is superior to practically everything else on the market today but the older ones............yummy.

I agree 100% but the 330g version of the Pro #1 from 2003 still plays like the older ones.

semiwestern
08-14-2004, 08:54 AM
I think I am just not good enough for this racquet.

It is officially for sale:
Fischer Pro #1 2004 model
Grip# 4 - with original grip seemed bigger than 4
I took original grip off
Strung with Kirschbaum Turbo Touch 57lbs
Used 3 times

Shane Reynolds
08-14-2004, 03:34 PM
If you would be interested in a trade, I have a Tour Diablo MP in similar condition, grip size 4, strung with Lightning XX 17 at 58 lbs. I can throw in the other two DuraTrac Overgrips if you want them.

semiwestern
08-15-2004, 08:21 AM
Thanks Shane,
I kind of liked Diablo MP but now my racquet of choice is Slazenger X1 (grip#5).

With Pro #1 I was serving well and my two handed backhand was very good but I had problems with my forehand. I was hitting a lot of balls short or late, I had problem killing short balls.
I think it is because I do not have full swing (medium) and I am used to getting a lot of spin without too much effort.
When I had time and took full swing from the base line it felt incredible (heavy, penetrating shot) but I could not always do that.